Best VFR model

Dmitry

I'm sure it has been discussed before and I don't want to start a 30 page topic but I have been working on my VF1000R and the closer I get to finishing it more I realize that I would not want to take it on a cross country tour for number of reasons:

It's heavy and I'm a 5'6" with bad ankles and torn ligaments in the shoulder so handling a 600 lb beast is a tough one.

Parts are hard to get so if I need a tire in a middle of nowhere it might be a problem to source a 18"

Reliability? not sure but it's 25 years old there aren't many of them around to judge.

So here's my question, I'm looking for a touring bike with possibly hard luggage, but it's not a deal breaker, has to be reliable and not break a bank cause I'm keeping the 1000R for now and this will be yet another horse in my stable. I have traveled last year on a variety of bikes using same soft Marsee paniers on all of them and it worked out OK but those were shorter 600-800 mile trips and I was spent after slabbing it on LC4 thumper for 5 hours. My friend on PC800 takes 500 mile trips and still fresh as a daisy, but I'm not ready for PC just yet.

I always liked 3d and 4th gen VFR's but they are getting old and I want a reliable bike, but also newer ones with all the electronics seem a bit complicated so I'm not sure what's the best of them?

I'm not a stranger to EFI and ABS repairs (worked on cars for many years) it's easy when you have tools, but being stuck on the side of the interstate because some sensor failed is something I want to avoid

Appreciate any advice, I'm not currently "flush" with cash and might have to sell something before buying a Vifer, but at least I can research prices and have something to mull over for now. If there is a killer deal to be had I might be able to work something out but really want to "sleep on it" before buying another bike. I bought too many on an impulse decision.

• Member Contributer

truthfully, none are bad. :)

my opinion would probably be the 5th gens... they are FI (less maint there), and you can still get plastics/parts easy enough for them.. the 3rd/4th are getting hard for parts (mostly bodywork) and carburetted... the 6th gens are a tick more complicated because of the Vtec and related cam chain tensioners.. all of them are mostly bullet-proof aside from the usual regulator/rectifier issue.

flame away.

• Member Contributer

All VFR's are great bikes and would do the job...that said, I'd look at 5th and 6th gens myself. The 5th gens are a tad less involved when you have the valves adjusted...but that said, the 6th gens are more complete for touring.

My 6th gen has over 20K miles and has had only routine maintenance (no valves yet)...runs like a top and has had zero failures of any kind. Even has the stock chain and sprockets and they are in good shape. (Scottoiler though)

Most Honda's have issues with Cam Chain Tensioners going out, my Black Bird uses one every 10-12 thousand miles...easy fix and they never leave you by the side of the road.

rectifier goes on BlackBird and VFR's.....spare is a good idea....easy to find.

5th generation VFR and my Black Bird have a bastard wire plug junction that is behind frame just under seat on left side.....looks like wad of electrical tape.

These corrode over time and cause a lot of issues....many of these have already been addressed by previous owners, I'm sure there is some conversation on this forum on how to fix this problem......very easy and little or no cost.

Other wise the fifth generation bikes 1998-2001 VFR's are rock solid cross country motorcycles........with cam chain growl!

• Member Contributer

If it has to be a VFR, 5-6 gen would be my choice as well.

If I was going to do lots of touring, I'd look into something more relaxed than a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Not buying the FI is better argument...

After 13 years I had my 4th Gen carbs checked, they needed some balancing, but if the mechanic had known in advance how little they were off, he would not have bothered.

But why NOT take the 1000? Get AAA recovery service subscription and have an epic ride...... :fing02:

Harder to handle? Stop more ooften and smell the roses.....

Most Honda's have issues with Cam Chain Tensioners going out, my Black Bird uses one every 10-12 thousand miles...easy fix and they never leave you by the side of the road.

rectifier goes on BlackBird and VFR's.....spare is a good idea....easy to find.

5th generation VFR and my Black Bird have a bastard wire plug junction that is behind frame just under seat on left side.....looks like wad of electrical tape.

These corrode over time and cause a lot of issues....many of these have already been addressed by previous owners, I'm sure there is some conversation on this forum on how to fix this problem......very easy and little or no cost.

Other wise the fifth generation bikes 1998-2001 VFR's are rock solid cross country motorcycles........with cam chain growl!

I agree with the 5th gen choice for most reliable....except maybe for the early ones with the old "hockey puck" Reg/Rec....... Just make sure that is updated with the finned version and any wiring harness overheating/bad ground symptoms have been repaired and you will be good do go. :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

Sixth gen all the way. I could go into the number of reasons why, but you should just take my word for it :)

gallery_6813_4487_130275.jpg

Uhmmmm.........C...C...T...... + 600+ dollar Vtec all day valve adjustment work......I dunno....... :dry:

It's a good VFR, but not the best for the purposes/reasons the OP described IMO.

Beck

95 VFR

I'm a big fan of the 4th gen, but for a touring focus I'd agree and say the 5th gen is what I'd look into. For me these are the + and - for each

- all have known R/R issues

4th gen

+ carbs (I know, but I'd rather deal with a mechanical fuel problem than an electronic bug)

+ gear driven cams

(+ looks awesome)

+ price

- parts availability (hard luggage may be a little harder to find)

- rear tire size may not be in stock (170 rear)

5th gen

+ parts availability

+ common rear tire

+ gear driven cams

+- cheaper than 6th gen, more than 4th

6th gen

+ factory hard luggage

+ parts and aftermarket accessories availability

+ can be serviced at a dealer (most will only service bikes less than 10 years old)

+ ABS option

- more complex engine (cam chains, vtec, only really comes into play if you service your engine yourself)

- most expensive

• Member Contributer

1KR not for long distance touring?

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

My Tour

Ride the bike you have.

These things are built like tanks. You are never as conditioned to ride as you are after a few weeks in the saddle.

Just ride man.

Lot's of votes for 5th gen, coincidentally there was one on local CL for $2k, but I didn't even call, need to thin out the herd before getting another one

I'm not afraid of complicated valve adjustments, just finished a desmoquattro, after that anything is a walk in a park, so cheap 6th gen is also an potion

I like a faster lighter bike and 1kR does not seem that nimble, I could upgrade wheels forks ets. but I do like the stock look.

Until last year I only had Daytona 600 registered and roadworthy, many 300-500 mile days and never a problem,

but last summer I tore up my shoulder pretty bad and have not been able to ride it on a long trips, can barely make it around the block some days.

Since then I've been clocking lots of miles on the KTM but it's not fun in the interstates, top speed barely 100 so at 75 you are past the "comfort zone"

also it has a peanut tank, at highway speeds I'm on reserve after 90 miles and pushing at 115 so every 1 1/2 hours I have to look for gas.

Will put some miles on 1000R this summer and then decide if I need another tourer, AAA bike assist is worth looking in to, is it better than Progressive roadside?

• Member Contributer

Well, I'd take my 4th GEN ('97) anywhere there is pavement. Once I got the electrics sorted it has been as reliable as an anvil. I do wish it had hard luggage, (which my next bike WILL have) but I'll never get rid of my '97. I'm a small guy and it fits me perfect. So, 4th, 5th or 6th, they're all good, :bliss: it just depends what YOU want.

Sixth gen all the way. I could go into the number of reasons why, but you should just take my word for it :)

gallery_6813_4487_130275.jpg

Uhmmmm.........C...C...T...... + 600+ dollar Vtec all day valve adjustment work......I dunno....... :dry:

It's a good VFR, but not the best for the purposes/reasons the OP described IMO.

Beck

95 VFR

I have the same picture, forgot to get off the bike, just visualize a Daytona 600 in foreground

2010-06-05%2019.16.16.jpg

I'm asking myself the same question but I'm in no rush. I'm not rich so a clean 4th or 5th gen would be the smart move. Plus I like the idea of easier/cheaper valve adjustments and I love the gear whine on those gear driven cams but...............I had a 6th gen and I loved it. I think it looks better, shows off that SSSA and makes a better 2-up ride. If my price range is stuck at $3000 I'll probably go for a clean 5th gen. If I can finagle around $4000 I'll probably go for the 6th gen.

I have no intentions of touring my '85 KR but it'll do until then. Besides, I'll only be home to ride the end of this month and half of May. After that I won't be home until Nov/Dec. I don't need to worry about buying another bike until then either though. I'm sure you'll be doing a little more riding than me this summer :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

No one has talked about the first gen VFR, my '86 700 has about 90k miles on it now, when it only had 60k miles I did a 4,800 mile trip over 12 days and across the country, I had two issues with it, one issue was a combo of a silghtly flakey neutral switch and the safety on the clutch lever, I adjust my clutch lever out and when I got back on it later it would not start because the neutral light was not working and the clutch switch was not working, after messing around a while, I figured it out, adjusted the clutch lever back in, fired right up. The other issue was a slight leak of one on the float bowls, that was left alone until I got back. As far as the R&R, I helped install one on the bike in '99 at about 56k miles, I added a little computer fan to it after I bought the bike, and it is the same one that is on there now.

I also did a 5,200 mile trip on my thrid gen VFR in 10 days. The only work I did on that trip was to bebuild the after market clutch slave cylinder on my buddy's Aprilia Falco, other than that there was no issues. I bought the bike with 20k miles, no it has 50k miles, still has the same R&R as when I bought it, I did put a fan on that one too.

The third gen only has a 5 gal tank, the first gen has 5.2, and the fourth gen has a 5.5, a half gallon is not much, but it can come in handy!

I think you can buy any generation VFR you want, I think it is more about finding the right bike doing the proper prep to the bike before the trip.

At the risk of being stoned.

Take at look at the Triumph Sprint ST 955.

Slightly lighter than my 6gen VFR, quieter cockpit, way the f**k faster, easy to work on.

Factory hard bags you can put a FF helmet into.

Slightly lower seat.

Not quite as smooth as either of my Honda's.

A little more upright seating (I have risers on all 3 bikes).

Might even be priced a little lower.

If I have to trim a bike to get a small dual sport it will probably be the Honda ST1300 as both the Triumph and VFR handle 500 mile days pretty well.

I worked as an ASE auto tech for 20 years and any of the VFRs are easy to work on in my opinion. I've had 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gens and my least favorite is the 6th. (Sorry 6th gen Guys)

the only one that left me stranded was the 6th with a wire harness fire that made roadside repairs impossible (03 with 3k on it when i bought it in 08) sold it and bought another 5th my last one

had 60k miles on it and it never once left me stranded anywhere either has my current one. and here in washington they can be had for around 3000 bucks for lowish milage ones, more for one

with farkles and maint records. just my opinion of course

Archived