Need help with Tippy front end...(UPDATE)

Lobster

• Member Contributer

You may remember I bought my old bike back last November.

I rode it today for about 5 minutes after an oil change. I am maybe worried about the front end. I am not a race rider. I'm not going to be able to tell much difference between one suspension set up and the next. I'm just a big fat guy (245 lbs) who likes to ride motorcycles.

However, it feels like once the bars get turned just slightly the front wheel wants to keep turning on it's own...kinda like the front wheel of a two wheel scooter if you just turn the bars sideways till the front wheel is perpendicular to your direction of travel. I was actually fighting it when turning riding around the sub today. I've never experienced this sensation with this bike before ever.

I noticed this RIGHT AWAY when I test rode it just before I bought it back. The kid who sold it back to me said he didn't change the suspension at all from the time he bought it from me.

The bike currently has BT014 / BT020 for tires and I have some new PR2CTs waiting to get put on. I used to ride only with Z6s.

If the tires don't cure this, what next? Raise the forks to try and slow down the steering? Something else I am missing?

I'm actively seeking advice here. Thanks.

Hey Larry, can you expand of the sensation your speaking of?

Do you mean the bike continues to "Fall into a turn" once you initiate turn-in or something else?

Are these the same tires you used or road with on that bike?

And did you check the pressures right before the ride?

BR

• Member Contributer

Hey Larry, can you expand of the sensation your speaking of?

Do you mean the bike continues to "Fall into a turn" once you initiate turn-in or something else?

Are these the same tires you used or road with on that bike?

And did you check the pressures right before the ride?

BR

Didn't check air pressure...

Feels like the front wheel wants to snap sideways and go perpendicular to the bike.

Never used BTs before

Well, the BT014 is Bridgestone's "Pilot Power", isn't it? As such it would have a more pronounced "triangular" profile vs the rounder profile of the S/T tires that you're used to.

I say check the pressures, and if they're good then give those tires a chance to grow on you. Put in 100 miles and see if you still hate them. Can't hurt really.

Try out some new tires. I had the same symptoms on my bike before I changed out the last pair of Dunlops I had on my VFR that was cupping really bad up front. The new Micheline Pilot Road 2s totally eliminated the falling into the turn feeling I had up front.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I had a set of Bridgestone 014's on my 99 VFR and I thought the same thing.At low speeds it felt like my bike almost wanted to fall over when I was turning, it is a sport tire after all and has a profile as such that makes it act this way.I will tell you though the 014's performed flawlessly at 140-150mph.I've had my VFR totally maxed out with these tires a number of times and they were rock solid as far as stability goes and stuck like glue.They were definately the best sport street tire I've ever ridden on and a thousand times better than the Metzeler M1's they replaced.My only concern is that your rear tire is not an 014.I never mix tires even if they are the same manufacturer.Don' worry, you'll get used to it.

• Member Contributer

Try out some new tires. I had the same symptoms on my bike before I changed out the last pair of Dunlops I had on my VFR that was cupping really bad up front. The new Micheline Pilot Road 2s totally eliminated the falling into the turn feeling I had up front.

Beck

95 VFR

I sure hope you are right...

As for the tires, the ones on the bike now will be coming off forthwith...I didn't put em on there...bike came back to me that way.

I'll try to get the new tires on this week and report back.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

The air pressure would be a good place to check first.

If you check it before the tire change, it will eliminate that from being a factor.

Since he has changed tires, did he get the front wheel on correctly?

I would think any alignment problems would show up at other speeds as well, but who knows?

Also, is there any chance he might have raised the fork tubes for any reason? I think stock is 41mm from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork cap.

I have read where 5 to 10 mm makes a very noticeable difference. It is sometimes done for quicker turn-in which isn't what you were looking for at all.

• Member Contributer

Uh...insert tail between legs here...

checked air pressure front and rear...

24 / 24 (psi)

I'm sure that's part of the problem...you agree?

Need to get back in the right frame of mind after 2 years off the bike...

• Member Contributer

My recommendation Larry is to do a track day in the slow group and get some pointers and get that confidence back. Obviously the underinflated tires were most of what's going on, but you know what it feels like to be confident and not. I'm sure you want to feel that good feeling back, no?

• Member Contributer

I had a beat up 4th gen for once season that did that ~ tires were underinflated which made the problem worse, but they had been cupped so badly it never completely went away. It's not like the tire wants to fall in to the corner, it's like the forks want to turn sideways in your hands when you go to turn. My brother and another local rider I know also both had 2005 CBR1000RR's that were almost unrideable on the OEM (Brand X) tires ~ changed over to Brand Y and all was normal again.

• Member Contributer

24 / 24 (psi)

I agree, Larry.

Those tires should work even better with proper pressure. I'm embarrassed to confess I've been there and done that, you're not alone. :blush:

I'm pretty sure that installing the new tires will also have a profound effect.

Yay! No expensive fix necessary. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Check the preload on the rear shock too while you're filling the tires up. The po may have adjusted it way to low for your size and the rear is squatting a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

24 / 24 (psi)

I agree, Larry.

Those tires should work even better with proper pressure. I'm embarrassed to confess I've been there and done that, you're not alone. :blush:

New tires on the bike...PR2CTs...

Air pressure now 35/36.

Took it for a spin yesterday and she feels all back to normal.

Sorry to take up Slammers bandwidth for a silly air pressure mistake on my part.

Do we have an Emoticons for "stupid newbie mistake"? :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

24 / 24 (psi)

I agree, Larry.

Air pressure now 35/36.

Sorry to take up Slammers bandwidth for a silly air pressure mistake on my part.

Ask Trace what air pressure he recommends. Go ahead, I dare ya! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

24 / 24 (psi)

I agree, Larry.

Air pressure now 35/36.

Larry pressures should be 36 front 42 rear... you knew that right :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Wow...I read that thread...I dont wanna cross Trace on this one...

I'll check the pressure before the next ride and make sure it's 36 / 42...period...always...as Trace would say! :biggrin:

Reg Pridmore told me I should run 30/30...truth...

But I will run 36 / 42...period...always...

Wow...I read that thread...I dont wanna cross Trace on this one...

I'll check the pressure before the next ride and make sure it's 36 / 42...period...always...as Trace would say! :biggrin:

Reg Pridmore told me I should run 30/30...truth...

But I will run 36 / 42...period...always...

Reg had to be referring to on the track only where you're doing triple digits the whole time.

Archived