Homebrew dirt bike exhaust - 95% done.

SEBSPEED

Because I've always wanted to re-core a dirt bike pipe for use on a street bike. :smile:

This is an oem CRF250 pipe (1 of 2). I cut off the inlet, removed the core, ground off the weld for the spud at the outlet, opened both endcaps to 2", fitted the core, and fitted the clamp flange from a spare midpipe to the core.

Needs a little more grinding and tapping. Also need to locate some stainless steel wool pads to pack it with, and some rivets, then weld it up and figure out how to finish it. SS wool because I don't want to take it apart again, the outlet cap is a pain to get on and off. Will post more pics when it's done.

oem pipes in far left of pic:

b24bbc01.jpg

0739b25c.jpg

1e7d1de3.jpg

f7741fbf.jpg

b0e2a3c6.jpg

807337d6.jpg

627a4d6d.jpg

7622f606.jpg

86e3e09d.jpg

68ec7124.jpg

• Member Contributer

Seb,

That would be a good application of that super wool I sent you. You should never have to repack it if you use that...

• Member Contributer

Wal mart sells ss wool pads for scrubbing dishes. they don't always have them here in Ruston, but I have seen them before. About a buck per. Or go to your local restaurant and ask the manager f you can buy some (18 years in the business...there is always a case of ss pot scrubbers around).

Cheers!

Those are CRF250 pipes, right? The 450's used a single large muffler and the 250's had the duals.

I guess so, the guy that gave them to me said they were 450, but whatever. Either way, it had to be re cored! :biggrin:

Especially when it's in the shape of a fresh Israeli 5/8" end mill cutter...

...... no doubt chucked up in a Jacobs chuck on a drill press????

You say that like you've seen a pic of my poor man's mill?

Seb,

That would be a good application of that super wool I sent you. You should never have to repack it if you use that...

Funny you should mention that. I thought about that yesterday, and when I didn't find the ss wool I wanted today, that's what I ended up using. :fing02: Hope it lasts - the endcap is a real pain.

Finished this up today. Started off by fixing yesterday's mishap.

3b51c40b.jpg

I didn't like how the perforated core went all the way to the edge of the endcap, so I cut it back and welded a piece of regular tube to it(again from the donor pipe). I trimmed the new end to fit the taper on the outlet, then welded the clamp flange and core to the inlet.

beb3ce51.jpg

Add stuffing:

94d33db4.jpg

Then rivet it back together, pop open a good beer and imagine what it will sound like...

87241be8.jpg

42e8d8a7.jpg

I think I'm going to mask off the rivets, straps, and endcaps, and paint the sleeve gloss black.

Sorry, but you have to wait to see what it's going on. The secret project will not be posted until it's done. I have too many unfinished build threads already! :blush:

I would like to add that this is about the perfect length to go on a VTEC too! (as a pair, in oem configuration)

• Member Contributer

42e8d8a7.jpg

... no doubt about you Seb ... you've got a gift when it comes to wrenching! .... umm yeah ... that's wrenching not wenching :cool:

Anyway, I'm sure looking forward to seeing/hearing it mounted ....... but plse don't leave us all hanging the same amount of time it took ya to finish the dang clutch cover! :dry:

... no doubt about you Seb ... you've got a gift when it comes to wrenching! .... umm yeah ... that's wrenching not wenching :cool:

Anyway, I'm sure looking forward to seeing/hearing it mounted ....... but plse don't leave us all hanging the same amount of time it took ya to finish the dang clutch cover! :dry:

Thank you. I do hate to make you all wait. I'm hoping someone will stop by and let me put it on their bike for a sound check.

I already have a couple build threads here that aren't finished, so I hate to start another before it's done. It will be worth the wait.

Well if thats really a dirtbike application, dont forget to do a spark arrestor, a simple screen should do the trick.

Sorry for any confusion, it's not going on a dirt bike, it's going on a VFR. Not sure a 2"/open pipe is a good idea on a db? Would need some motor mods to make use of it, no?

that looks like a oem mounting tab for a 6th gen

That's the oem CRF tab. Not sure yet if/how it might fit up to a VTEC. The can is about the right length/size though, it would look cool on a VTEC.

Got any pipes you'd like to donate down to Orlando that I could try and fab up for my G650x moto?

I have a brand new Leo Vince aluminum can for sale, look in the classifieds. Also have a used aluminum Hindle for a 4th gen that's going cheap. PM me if you want details.

• Member Contributer

Carefull, metal can be sharp! :laughing6-hehe:

Especially when it's in the shape of a fresh Israeli 5/8" end mill cutter...

b0e2a3c6.jpg

So is that sharpie marks on the core or 'Honda Red' blood?

Seb,

Funny you should mention that. I thought about that yesterday, and when I didn't find the ss wool I wanted today, that's what I ended up using. :fing02: Hope it lasts - the endcap is a real pain.

Not sure how it's going to like the air moving through it, but it won't be bothered by the heat at all. I tested that stuff on a couple of machines back when I was working at the fiberoptics company. Used it to insulate heaters that would cycle and hold from 400F to 1600F. Checked them every week for over a month. Stuff looked almost brand new each time.

• Member Contributer

Not sure how it's going to like the air moving through it, but it won't be bothered by the heat at all. I tested that stuff on a couple of machines back when I was working at the fiberoptics company. Used it to insulate heaters that would cycle and hold from 400F to 1600F. Checked them every week for over a month. Stuff looked almost brand new each time.

Been in my MIG Indy for two years and the exhaust note hasn't changed :)

Been in my MIG Indy for two years and the exhaust note hasn't changed :)

Hey Trav, maybe you can return my chain tool via your bike? I need a 5th gen with a slip on to stop by so I can record a sound clip of this new exhaust for VFRD-land... :musik20:

• Member Contributer

Certainly, if I can get the coolant leak to stop. :pissed:

One of the hoses on the t-stat housing is leaking. Bike is SO close to being ready...

Certainly, if I can get the coolant leak to stop. :pissed:

One of the hoses on the t-stat housing is leaking. Bike is SO close to being ready...

It's always something, huh? Hope you don't get too much snow. I'm kinda anxious to hear this thing! :biggrin:

So is that sharpie marks on the core or 'Honda Red' blood?

Erm... Honda Red Sharpie!

In that case, I really hope I didn't pack it too tight. :mellow:

• Member Contributer

...........yeah so..........those are blingy. I am of the opinion you should hurry up and finish said project,drive'em down here so we's can mount'em up.:fing02:

...........yeah so..........those are blingy. I am of the opinion you should hurry up and finish said project,drive'em down here so we's can mount'em up.:fing02:

The pipe is done, what do you want to try it out on?

Archived