choose your own roads

northernrider

• Member Contributer

i just bought a garmin nuvi 750 off a buddy . i like the facts that u have a mp3 player and u can create your routes, choose your own roads and stuff , but man im tring to fingure out how to and cant find any how to videos .. is there any advice or links on how to premap all the roads u want to ride on and then send them to your gps ?

hey also looking to mount it on the 2 bolts that hold the front of the tank down.... any opiions ?

• Member Contributer

That's the model I use for my bike and it works great. The easiest way to transfer routes is from Mapsource, which you have to get from Garmin. Did you get the mapsource disk when you bought the unit?

• Member Contributer

You may be able to use some of the Mapsource Lessons learned from the "Tales of Zumo" thread. If you do not have Mapsource yet you may want to take a look at Street and Trips 2010 which now has a GPX file capability for export to the Garmin.

• Member Contributer

FJ12 ryder no i didnt get the mapquest disk with the unit . should there be one ? can i get the sofware anywhere else ? and also how did u mount your gps to your bike ?

MapSource, not mapquest. MapSource is the mapping program that Garmin uses to upload route, waypoints, POIs, pretty much anything map related to the actual GPS. I'm not at all familiar with the different models of Garmin, but I know some of them don't support the function of uploading routes and such to the GPS from MapSource. Here is a link for MapSource, but it clearly states that you have to own a MapSource product for that update to work.

And as far as mounting goes, this link should have everything you need.

• Member Contributer

ive been on the web site before but im looking for riders that have mounted the gps on the tank bolts and kow exactly what part lines up with the 2 bolt holes and what length of arm to use ... maby pics will help

also as for not having the mapsource cd , dont they offer it somewhere for download . i think they only have updates on the garmin website

• Member Contributer

These are the parts I ordered to mount mine to the two front tank bolts: GPS City .

I bought longer tank mounting bolts just to be on the safe side and if you're using a large tank bag you might want to get a longer arm so you can see it past the tank bag. I have a small bag and the medium arm works fine. I also ran a power cord from my Blue Sky fuse box for the Nuvi.

I use Mapsource so don't know about MS Streets and Trips but that is a consideration. Also you could buy a Garmin Nu Map. The lifetime maps with lifetime map updates are about $75 from Amazon, or you could get a one time update from Garmin for about $50. These will load Mapsource on your computer and install the new maps on the Garmin. Or you could check with the PO and see if he still has the disk that came with the Nuvi. Hope this helps.

Here's what it looks like: GPS.jpg

• Member Contributer

The RAM mount for the brake perch fits like a glove down there. My mount is a Techmount meant for a ZX10 inside Mirror bolt. It is a snap.

004-2.jpg

That is pretty cool man!

• Member Contributer

hey FJ12 ryder . that mount is for the handle bars ..... the bolt holes line up perfect for the bolts on the front of the tank ? and that is exactly what im looking for

Yep, just pitch the u-clamp and the mount is the right width for the tank bolts.

• Member Contributer

Map and Streets 2010 >>>> Mapsource in my opinion but it came with my Garmin Zumo so I learned to use it. I will have to play with the M&S again now that it saves in GPX format (didn't know that). That would make life so much easier.

@FJ12Ryder...make sure your GPS is compatible with Mapsource before buying it. Garmin is notoriously bad about not making this clear and you end up buying "support" software that is useless to you. Heck, I would check to see if your GPS supports GPX files and then just get M&S 2010 but that's just me.

Did some research. It does support GPX routes (max of 10 at one time) and you can directly port MapQuest maps to the GPS (Garmin Forums).

Map and Streets 2010 >>>> Mapsource in my opinion but it came with my Garmin Zumo so I learned to use it. I will have to play with the M&S again now that it saves in GPX format (didn't know that). That would make life so much easier.

@FJ12Ryder...make sure your GPS is compatible with Mapsource before buying it. Garmin is notoriously bad about not making this clear and you end up buying "support" software that is useless to you. Heck, I would check to see if your GPS supports GPX files and then just get M&S 2010 but that's just me.

Did some research. It does support GPX routes (max of 10 at one time) and you can directly port MapQuest maps to the GPS (Garmin Forums).

Has anyone done this using the 765t? I have used Mapsource previously and its not too bad to use so I don't mind that but am trying to get a solid answer from someone who has made a map via mapsource or mapquest and succesfully transfered it to the gps unit before making a purchase

• Member Contributer

Has anyone done this using the 765t? I have used Mapsource previously and its not too bad to use so I don't mind that but am trying to get a solid answer from someone who has made a map via mapsource or mapquest and succesfully transfered it to the gps unit before making a purchase

Google search brought me to this.

• Member Contributer

I use Mapsource to plan routes and then download them to the Nuvi 750. Works like a charm. The 765T will work the same way. I've not used Mapquest or Maps and Streets so I can't answer about those.

I use Mapsource to plan routes and then download them to the Nuvi 750. Works like a charm. The 765T will work the same way. I've not used Mapquest or Maps and Streets so I can't answer about those.

awesome thank you! I'm tired of wiriting down routes and just using painters tape to tape them to my tank. Off to ebay I go!

• Member Contributer

Here's what I use with my Nuvi 680:

med_gallery_12878_5047_7198.jpg

ooh! Knife, where did you find the Powerlet to NUVI adapter? I was planning on hard wiring my new 850, but if can get a powerlet, I'll do the powerlet steering stem mod...

thanks

-t

• Member Contributer

Google map your route -> Use google http link @ gpsvisualizer.com to convert to Garmin file -> save to pc -> transfer to Nuvi by plugging Nuvi into pc.

All completely free of cost.

Thanks for the tip. Awesome!

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind that when you using different Map databases there can be some conversion issues when you plan a route in one mapset (google, S&T, mapquest, or even a diff year of Mapsource/City Navigator, whatever) and run it on another mapset on the GPS.

THe most seamless way to do it is to use the same mapset (actually called City Navigator) in Mapsource that you have in your GPS and it has to be the same year too.

For me I still do a master tour plan on 2010 S&T and then port that data over to daily routes in Mapsource. Mapsource for many is a PITA but once you get the hang of it it works fine and it is very powerful.

Keep in mind that when you using different Map databases there can be some conversion issues when you plan a route in one mapset (google, S&T, mapquest, or even a diff year of Mapsource/City Navigator, whatever) and run it on another mapset on the GPS.

THe most seamless way to do it is to use the same mapset (actually called City Navigator) in Mapsource that you have in your GPS and it has to be the same year too.

For me I still do a master tour plan on 2010 S&T and then port that data over to daily routes in Mapsource. Mapsource for many is a PITA but once you get the hang of it it works fine and it is very powerful.

That's all just more stuff you've got to buy, I haven't had a problem with the conversions yet! ...*knocks on wood*...

• Member Contributer

You could be right. To get going you do not need a lot .........and as you learn the unit/system you adapt.

One thing I have noticed is that unless you really blow up the route on your PC you sometimes can not really see conversion issues on the GPS till you get there and then you may get some screwy behaviour but this can happen with mapsource too if you are not careful with viapoint/waypoint placement.

I have heard of folks calling Garmin and getting Mapsource + mapset for free as in essence you have already bought the maps on the GPS unit. Don't know what their policy is now though?

S&T is pretty cheap now. I bought the version with a GPS unit for laptop/vehicle use when when the other half had the Zumo. I only paid about $70 and that was with the USB GPS receiver...it goes for about half that without.

• Member Contributer

That is how I do it only I use Delorme Street Atlas for the master tour plan, and then transfer to Mapsource, and then to the Nuvi. I've never tried the Google conversion.

Archived