choose your own roads

northernrider

• Member Contributer

They list Garmin on their site so this might be an option for routing. I use it to create routes for my Tom Tom. It works off of Google Maps or Google Earth and best of all....it's free.

TYRE

• Member Contributer

They list Garmin on their site so this might be an option for routing. I use it to create routes for my Tom Tom. It works off of Google Maps or Google Earth and best of all....it's free.

TYRE

I just tried out Tyre with my Garmin Nuvi 750 and it works excellently! You just drag and drop the .gpx file into the GPX folder and the route shows up in My Data, which you then import as a route. Very easy to use.

The zoom is a little slow and it seems to take a few seconds to redraw the map when you zoom in or out but not really a problem. I tried it using Google Maps.

Many thanks Dutch. It gives me another option.

• Member Contributer

TYRE

I just tried out Tyre with my Garmin Nuvi 750 and it works excellently! You just drag and drop the .gpx file into the GPX folder and the route shows up in My Data, which you then import as a route. Very easy to use.

The zoom is a little slow and it seems to take a few seconds to redraw the map when you zoom in or out but not really a problem. I tried it using Google Maps.

Many thanks Dutch. It gives me another option.

Good to hear. :fing02:

The software can be a little quirky at times but works well for me. They upgrade it regularly and it's definitely improved over the last three years.

• Member Contributer

Google map your route -> Use google http link @ gpsvisualizer.com to convert to Garmin file -> save to pc -> transfer to Nuvi by plugging Nuvi into pc.

All completely free of cost.

+1.gif That's what I've been doing for my Zumo 550. I find it the easiest. Though I may check out that Tyre.

• Member Contributer

For those with track capable GPS units I am interested to know what folks use to store their tracks from rides. Since mapsource (no extra cost) came with my system, I have used Mapsource to store both my planned routes and the actual tracks. Generally I make a file that contains both the routes, waypoints and the tracks for a locale ie Texas or Northwest for example.

I've used googlemaps and just the garmin account. When you export the GPX files from googlemaps into your garmin account it automatically syncs it to the GPS - pretty slick.

I've found that googlemaps is much easier to use that the garmin tools.

These are the parts I ordered to mount mine to the two front tank bolts: GPS City .

this is exactly how and where I want to mount mine. Do you think the 5th and 6th gen width of those bolts is the same?

Here's what I use with my Nuvi 680:

med_gallery_12878_5047_7198.jpg

I too would like to know where you found that short cord? I was going to install a powerlet somewhere near the dash and would love to find a short cord like that

Archived