2011 Kootenay Hootenanny 2 - PNW/Canada Meet in Nelson, BC

superfunkomatic

Long or short day ride?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a long or short day ride at the meet (350 or 500+ kilometers)?

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear you crashed!!! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Take good care of those injuries so they do mot leave permanent pains and get nack on two wheels when you feel ready.

Best!

C

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I won't be able to make it after all. I crashed coming back from the MotoGP races as Laguna Seca three weeks ago. Totalled the bike, broke my left femur and messed up the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. It was a very low speed get-off, but did significant damage nevertheless. Nobody to blame but myself, but the worst part is that I don't know what went wrong. I simply do not remember the time between tipping into the corner and the moment I left the road. I remember pretty clearly everything before and after, but not what actually happened in the corner. What I do know is that I don't always do the right thing at the right time while I'm riding, and this is just another example. Regardless, until/unless I can figure out why, I'm thinking I need to stay off two-wheeled vehicles.

So, as I said, I won't be able to join you in Nelson. Have a great time. I know you will.

I haven't yet cancelled my room reservation (Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights) at The New Grand Hotel. If anybody wants it I'd be happy to see if I can transfer my reservation into their name...

Dean

:tour:

PS: 7th gen garage sale to follow soon. Unused tail trunk with bracket and liner, unused Honda touring windscreen deflector, new-in-box MCCruise electronic cruise control, side bag liners, etc, etc, etc. Stay tuned...

Dean - really sorry to hear that. I noted that you were not a the Doc Wong clinic this month - now I know why. The most important thing is to heal quickly. Best for a full recovery. Curry

Yikes!

Sorry to hear about the 'get-off'. Bad news. Glad to hear you're mostly okay.

Whenever you break a femur you're lucky it's not more serious - i.e. potential to bleed to death.

Take care of yourself and heal up well.

p.s. - Maybe PM Olive, Snakeman and RogerRamjet and see if they would like to take your reservation.

I won't be able to make it after all. I crashed coming back from the MotoGP races as Laguna Seca three weeks ago. Totalled the bike, broke my left femur and messed up the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. It was a very low speed get-off, but did significant damage nevertheless. Nobody to blame but myself, but the worst part is that I don't know what went wrong. I simply do not remember the time between tipping into the corner and the moment I left the road. I remember pretty clearly everything before and after, but not what actually happened in the corner. What I do know is that I don't always do the right thing at the right time while I'm riding, and this is just another example. Regardless, until/unless I can figure out why, I'm thinking I need to stay off two-wheeled vehicles.

So, as I said, I won't be able to join you in Nelson. Have a great time. I know you will.

I haven't yet cancelled my room reservation (Friday, Saturday, Sunday nights) at The New Grand Hotel. If anybody wants it I'd be happy to see if I can transfer my reservation into their name...

Dean

PS: 7th gen garage sale to follow soon. Unused tail trunk with bracket and liner, unused Honda touring windscreen deflector, new-in-box MCCruise electronic cruise control, side bag liners, etc, etc, etc. Stay tuned...

Wow Dean, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am still figuring this coming weekend out. I am planning on making the trip but my wife's vacation and mine are clashing so I may change my mind at the last minute. I was going to see if you wanted to stay over at my place Dean, like I mentione to you last year in Troutdale, but if I go I will be leaving a day early and stay with some friends in Winthrop.

Superfunky, I will buy the shirt regardless of whether I make it to the meeting or not.

Dean, heal up well my friend.

Lee

Hope you can make it.

Wow Dean, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am still figuring this coming weekend out. I am planning on making the trip but my wife's vacation and mine are clashing so I may change my mind at the last minute. I was going to see if you wanted to stay over at my place Dean, like I mentione to you last year in Troutdale, but if I go I will be leaving a day early and stay with some friends in Winthrop.

Superfunky, I will buy the shirt regardless of whether I make it to the meeting or not.

Dean, heal up well my friend.

Lee

So, now we have another address to stop at when we're visiting Europe?? laughing6-hehe.gif

C

Sure....just give me a call (or PM) when you're in Europe.....and I will buy you a beer; or two, or three, or....... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Your offer is attempting, but still can't make it.... :biggrin:

Have a good time in Nelson !! I'll wait for some pics....... :mellow:

I won't be able to make it after all. I crashed .......

Dean,

sad story, but glad you survived. :fing02:

I wish you a full recovery.

(excuse me for the bad English. I'm not used to write in a foreign language...)

• Member Contributer

I've just released my reservation on my room at tThe Grand Hotel for the weekend. If you still need a place to stay, call them ASAP. 1-888-722-2258 toll free. (I'm also PMing Olive, Snakeman and RogerRamjet to let them know.)

I hope everyone finds a room, or even a parkbench!, to sleep on and has a great time! Sorry I can't join you...

Dean

• Member Contributer

I've just released my reservation on my room at tThe Grand Hotel for the weekend. If you still need a place to stay, call them ASAP. 1-888-722-2258 toll free. (I'm also PMing Olive, Snakeman and RogerRamjet to let them know.)

I hope everyone finds a room, or even a parkbench!, to sleep on and has a great time! Sorry I can't join you...

Dean

I hate to take advantage of Dean's misfortune, but I just booked his room at the Grand for the weekend.

Dean, we're going to miss you. Take care, heal up, and start shopping for another VFR so you can join us next year!

Anyway, there should be vacancy at the Villa Motel in Nelson for Friday and Saturday night as of now for anyone that is still looking for lodging. Their phone: 1-888-352-5515.

See y'all on Friday !

-CN-

I hate to take advantage of Dean's misfortune, but I just booked his room at the Grand for the weekend.

Dean, we're going to miss you. Take care, heal up, and start shopping for another VFR so you can join us next year!

Anyway, there should be vacancy at the Villa Motel in Nelson for Friday and Saturday night as of now for anyone that is still looking for lodging. Their phone: 1-888-352-5515.

See y'all on Friday !

-CN-

So you're the one! I called and the nice folks at the New Grand said that Dean's reservation had been taken just 15 minutes before I called (sorry, Dean, it's like we're all sharks or something. Do heal quickly. Hope you have good drugs!). However, they surprised me by saying that they had another room available - we're in, and at the discounted rate. We're staying at the WhiteHouse Backpacker's Lodge, just down the street, on Sat & Sun nights (couldn't pass up the make-your-own-pancakes breakfast deal, and the Victorian house is definitely our style), but we needed a room Friday night. Phew!

Looking forward to meeting y'all - and to a two-wheeled road trip in the warm sunshine (rare around these parts these days). Now, to get thru Tues, Weds, Thurs...

Suzanne (St Peter)

(aka RogerRamjet's Most Significant Other)

• Member Contributer

Nelson

Friday

00.gif Low 13. High 31.

Saturday

00.gif Low 12. High 29.

Sunday

00.gif Low 12. High 30.

:fing02:

Bring your mesh gear!!!! :cheerleader:

Don't you mean your electric gear? seems pretty cold..... Oh thats right metric,

Allow me to translate, I am fluent in Canadian, Eh

Fri Low 55.4 High 87.8

Sat Low 53.6 High 84.2

Sun Low 53.6 High 86

:laughing6-hehe: Looking forward to enjoying the Beautiful Area :bliss:

• Member Contributer

Nelson

Friday

00.gif Low 13. High 31. Saturday 00.gif Low 12. High 29. Sunday 00.gif Low 12. High 30.

Thanks for that. I've been freezing on the way to work with my winter jacket (no liner though) and wondering if it was going to be that cold on the way to Nelson. 7C on the way to work this AM. Lots of layers FTW.

Anybody still able to concentrate on work? :laughing6-hehe:

Awesome. Things always have a way of working themselves out.

See you there.

See y'all on Friday !

-CN-

So you're the one! I called and the nice folks at the New Grand said that Dean's reservation had been taken just 15 minutes before I called (sorry, Dean, it's like we're all sharks or something. Do heal quickly. Hope you have good drugs!). However, they surprised me by saying that they had another room available - we're in, and at the discounted rate. We're staying at the WhiteHouse Backpacker's Lodge, just down the street, on Sat & Sun nights (couldn't pass up the make-your-own-pancakes breakfast deal, and the Victorian house is definitely our style), but we needed a room Friday night. Phew!

Looking forward to meeting y'all - and to a two-wheeled road trip in the warm sunshine (rare around these parts these days). Now, to get thru Tues, Weds, Thurs...

Suzanne (St Peter)

(aka RogerRamjet's Most Significant Other)

I know!

That would be perfect riding weather - really nice and hot.

For those of you riding in during the morning - the morning weather has been unusually cool - single digits celcius. Make sure to bring layers.

Keep your weather fingers crossed!

Nelson

Friday

00.gif Low 13. High 31.

Saturday

00.gif Low 12. High 29.

Sunday

00.gif Low 12. High 30.

Rider Emergency Information Sheet

I'll provide a rider information sheet when we are organizing the group rides. If you'd like to fill this out before you come, be my guest. This will provide your ride leader with the necessary information about you in the event of an emergency.

Thanx,

mike

Rider Emergency Information Sheet (PDF file)

• Member Contributer

I'll provide a rider information sheet when we are organizing the group rides. If you'd like to fill this out before you come, be my guest. This will provide your ride leader with the necessary information about you in the event of an emergency.

Thanx,

mike

link does not work

Patience, Grasshopper! ;)

It's working now. Had to move it on to my l'il web server.

Thanx,

mike

link does not work

• Member Contributer

Dean

Dean, Sorry to hear about your get off too. Take your time and heal up right the first time.

Take care

Scott

• Member Contributer

Wish you could make it, too. I enjoyed riding with you last year - good company.

I sure wish I could of made this meet. Had a great time last year. The shirts even look cool.

Have a great time.

Scott

Good times that's for sure.

Ride safe everyone.

Here are some of the potential routes - short/short, medium, long.

We'll have a discussion and separate into groups. I'll need some ride leaders and will supply maps if required.

Upper/Lower Lake Loops (Nelson, Pass, Creston, Higway 3, Kaslo/New Denver, Nelson) - Approx. 6 hours (stop for lunch in Kaslo?)

Full Size

Just Upper Loop (Kaslo/New Denver) - Short Ride but Very Fun - You could ride the Kaslo/New Denver Part and Ainsworth Sections multiple times

Full Size

Long Day Ride - US/Canada

Full Size

Meeting on First Night

Most people will be arriving on Friday afternoon.

I'll be there around 1pm or 2pm. People can gather at the pub around 5pm or whenever they feel like it. :beer:

The entire group can meet in the new meeting room/lounge at around 6pm.

People will be leaving over the next couple days. Have a safe trip and I'll see you in the pub at the New Grand.

mike

• Member Contributer

I booked an extra night so will arrive on Thursday and plan to check out Nelson during the day Friday. Everyone ride safely.

. . . and for those arriving from the US, remember your passport!

I booked an extra night so will arrive on Thursday and plan to check out Nelson during the day Friday. Everyone ride safely.

. . . and for those arriving from the US, remember your passport!

And our speeding laws in BC!!

Archived