Bridgestone BT023's

vfral1

Need a replacement front tire. When I called my tire guy to order a BT021 he said they are in limited production and that everyone is going to the new, better, BT023. I went to Bridgestones website and they dont even list a BT023, yet everyone is selling them. Anyone know what is up with that? And any one have them installed? Ive got a 5th gen, so most interested in how they work with that version.

Thanks.

I haven't heard of them either. I've used the BT021s and they are good tires. I've since been using the michelin pilot road 2s and they are considerably better (although they are more expensive).

Need a replacement front tire. When I called my tire guy to order a BT021 he said they are in limited production and that everyone is going to the new, better, BT023. I went to Bridgestones website and they dont even list a BT023, yet everyone is selling them. Anyone know what is up with that? And any one have them installed? Ive got a 5th gen, so most interested in how they work with that version.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

http://www.bridgestone.eu/press/press-releases/all/2009/new-battlax-bt-023-a-%E2%80%9Cfull-spec%E2%80%9D-sport-touring-tyre

Have been out alittle while now... thought this might have been a review.

Let us know if you go this route :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Love the 021 rear but the front was horrible. I'm on my second 021 rear but I now use the pilotpower 2ct on the front. My first and only 021 front was trash after less than 2000 miles. The rear went almost double that. I heard that Bridgestone had major problems with 021 front tires thus the 023.

A guy I know is halfway through his first set after coming off PR2s. He likes them and feels they offer as much grip as PR2, also in the wet. Only drawbacks were they do not last as long as PR2s and they do not wear as well as the PR2 (some cupping).

Others that have just bought a set are very pleased with them but that's not surprising as riding with fresh rubber is always a big improvement over the old ones.

info sheet

post-3825-1271363699.jpg

• Member Contributer

Working in a bike shop, I decided to special order one in just for me...

I'm running the rear only, and I took the GT model, designed for "heavy weight" bikes. They list the BMW R1200 as an example. ~600lbs. The VFR with bags, and all the crap in them, is probably in the 560+ region wet. Since I quite often have the girlfriend on the back, I figured the GT would be smarter. My 021 didn't seem to stand up to the weight very well, and squared off something awful. This seems to have been a common problem with the 021 and a heavy bike. So BT-023 GT it was.

The turn in is fantastic! The bike really wants to just drop right in to the corners. After leading a couple very spirited rides, I've yet to detect anything close to a loss of grip. And if it matters to you, my chicken strips are only about 3/8". :biggrin:

In the wet, the tire is very complacent, and maintains that wonderful grip (even at 140kph+). Also keep in mind the ambient air temp here has been probably an average of 10C for my rides on this tire. It is working VERY well.

I had the tire installed about two weeks ago, and am now at ~2,500km, with very little signs of wear, and no sign of squaring.

If your dealer isn't offering (nicely) discounted 021's, I would wholeheartedly recommend the BT-023 GT rear for the VFR. I normally run a sport tire front, so BT-016 or similar (currently a take off Pirelli Supercorsa SC2), so I can't really say anything either way on the front other than to say it has probably improved in the same fashion as the rear over the BT-021.

• Member Contributer

Love the 021 rear but the front was horrible. I'm on my second 021 rear but I now use the pilotpower 2ct on the front. My first and only 021 front was trash after less than 2000 miles. The rear went almost double that. I heard that Bridgestone had major problems with 021 front tires thus the 023.

Yup, I really like the 021 on the rear of my '97 but the front is a cupping POS. I'm religious about tire pressure and only weigh 135 lbs. I was going to try either a PR2 or a PP but should I try a front 023? My 021 on the rear has PLENTY of life left.

• Member Contributer

Keep us updated on your GT findings and compare the mileage to other tires you have had. How about the ride with a GT spec...harsh?

Like others I had good luck with the rear 21 but the front lost its shape rapidly.

• Member Contributer

Keep us updated on your GT findings and compare the mileage to other tires you have had. How about the ride with a GT spec...harsh?

Like others I had good luck with the rear 21 but the front lost its shape rapidly.

Ride is better than my old BT-021 ever was. I think the GT was definitely the right choice. Keep in mind the regular tire in a 180/55 is designed for most other sport bikes which tend to top out around 470 wet. The VFR isn't FAT, but definitely has a bit of extra weight. With the amount of 2up riding we do, the regular tire would be running out of spec.

GT for sure.

• Member Contributer

Maybe the ticket for a loaded cross country tour?? There is also a GT spec front which will fit a VFR.

True. It also comes with a different tread pattern. I'm not going to run it because I run stickier fronts, but I'm sure someone will give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up, I've put about 250 miles on the new 023 front. I like the feel much more than the 021. I think the 023 has a different profile because with the 021 I always felt like it would "fall over" going into corners, and the 023 does not give that sensation. The cornering on the 023 is much smoother and confidence inspiring. You could say that a new tire is always going to feel better than an old tire, but what I'm talking about is something that I felt right away when I upgraded from the 020 to the 021. I remember feeling like I would fall into the corner and then it would catch and get stable. Never liked that feeling. The 023 feels very proportional, like it always has grip. Ive been in both wet and dry conditions with the new tire and have not complaints thus far, so I think Bridgestone got it right. I would recommend the tire on the 5th gen.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I haven't heard of them either. I've used the BT021s and they are good tires. I've since been using the michelin pilot road 2s and they are considerably better (although they are more expensive).

Thanks.

Superfunk,

how did you find your PR2's on your road trip compared to your past experience with the BT021 ?. I just hit 13,000km on my 021's, and now have to make the choice of either the 023 or PR2's.

As a follow up, I've put about 250 miles on the new 023 front. I like the feel much more than the 021. I think the 023 has a different profile because with the 021 I always felt like it would "fall over" going into corners, and the 023 does not give that sensation. The cornering on the 023 is much smoother and confidence inspiring. You could say that a new tire is always going to feel better than an old tire, but what I'm talking about is something that I felt right away when I upgraded from the 020 to the 021. I remember feeling like I would fall into the corner and then it would catch and get stable. Never liked that feeling. The 023 feels very proportional, like it always has grip. Ive been in both wet and dry conditions with the new tire and have not complaints thus far, so I think Bridgestone got it right. I would recommend the tire on the 5th gen.

Funny, I want and Love a tire that Falls into a turn as I spend my entire time riding twisties! :491:

I know others don't care for that though, but I want it myself!

• Member Contributer

Funny, I want and Love a tire that Falls into a turn as I spend my entire time riding twisties! :491:

I know others don't care for that though, but I want it myself!

I feel same way, and after riding with 021" for 47,000 miles I tried the 023"s. Have a couple thousand on them, wear seems really good so far, especially the front. The biggest difference is they do not fall into a corner as well. When this set wears out I may try something else.

Yup, I really like the 021 on the rear of my '97 but the front is a cupping POS. I'm religious about tire pressure and only weigh 135 lbs. I was going to try either a PR2 or a PP but should I try a front 023? My 021 on the rear has PLENTY of life left.

I'm a big fan of the bt 21 rear traction and cutting performace , If your running BT21 fronts and like them, then you not very hard to please. Instal an orginal ppwer on the front, it works excellent and youll never want a bt21 front ever again. The 23's are still being evaluated.

I have a GT 23 rear, not sufficiently rain tested, it has its attributes and its flaws, I'm just about to hit the wear bars, I think its a reallly good heavy bike tire. But I wont run one again on the VFR, I dont 2 up or much luggage ,

Im going to a full Ppower rear, I need some Beef after running that tractor tire

• Member Contributer

Only 200 miles on my BT-023s but good so far. I just came out of two sets of Roadsmarts and HATED those. 3500 miles coming up next month so I'll know more by the time I get home.

• Member Contributer

So, I decided to go with PR2's. With no complaints agains the 021's I wanted to try something new. So, before I fly down to Victoria to pick up my bike, I made a few calls around Vancouver Island to set up the tire change over.. The dealers are telling me no stock and on back order. Called a few places in Vancouver... same thing. Even in Edmonton, they say they can not get the PR2's.

The rear tire being the biggest problem.

BT-023 win.

I've got a pair on my VFR and put about 2500 miles on them commuting and touring (with & without pillion) - so far excellent, grippy and durable :huh:

most tires start out good and deteriorate towards the end , The BT23's its the opposite atleast with the GT

• Member Contributer

While in Victoria, I had the new 023's installed, put about 350 km on them before I left. Ride out from the Island was dry and warm, tires are nice and quiet. Turn in is great. Had breakfast in Richmond and made my way to Hope BC. Filled both the tank and my belly, made my way to Castlegar via the Hope-Princeton Hyw. It beagn to rain hard as I approached the summit, the temp went to 3 Deg Cel. No problems what so ever. I had rain, blowing winds all the way to Castlegar BC. It was a great ride. :pinocchio:

At one point, I wondered if I was going to see how well they worked in snow as I made my way from Invermere to Banff.

And off topic, our fresh catch of the day. Dinner is ready.

post-19341-099327200 1283953795_thumb.jp

post-19341-099112600 1283953809_thumb.jp

post-19341-038423100 1283954546_thumb.jp

post-19341-051690500 1283954938_thumb.jp

+1 to that, good post,front 021 very poor ,done in at 3000 miles.

Plasma.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived