Bridgestone BT023's

vfral1

As a follow up, I've put about 250 miles on the new 023 front. I like the feel much more than the 021. I think the 023 has a different profile because with the 021 I always felt like it would "fall over" going into corners, and the 023 does not give that sensation. The cornering on the 023 is much smoother and confidence inspiring. You could say that a new tire is always going to feel better than an old tire, but what I'm talking about is something that I felt right away when I upgraded from the 020 to the 021. I remember feeling like I would fall into the corner and then it would catch and get stable. Never liked that feeling. The 023 feels very proportional, like it always has grip. Ive been in both wet and dry conditions with the new tire and have not complaints thus far, so I think Bridgestone got it right. I would recommend the tire on the 5th gen.

Funny, I want and Love a tire that Falls into a turn as I spend my entire time riding twisties! :fing02:

I know others don't care for that though, but I want it myself!

Im exclusive to origanl power fronts, for the most part , i go back and forth between road2 rears and bt21 rears. Road 2 has the life and Bt21 the quick action. But after many road 2 rears I didnt like them much.

So I did the bt23 rear touring tire, it was okay, in high speed touring stuff and sweepers, I found it slippery on the sides in tight stuff

THe little rain I was able to come across, the slippage was bad on the sides.

Next I went to a full ppower rear, it offter traction , but weird handling traits at times, I think the vfr is too heavy for it. So the next tire was back to the road 2, its so much better than the ppower rear and the 23 on the VFR , I'm luving it.

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking about giving these a try. Cheapest place I found seems to be Dennis Kirk at $233.98 delivered. Anyone know of a cheaper place??

These guys are great...found them on the ST forum: Two Brothers Tires in GA. Not close to me, but I got BT023's for my ST delivered FREE in just a couple of days, and a battery too!

http://www.twobrotherstires.com/

Looks like $235 out the door with free shipping and no tax for the BT023's in the size for the VFR

• 6 months later...

I just about have the rear BT-023 GT worn out after doing T-Mac. The tire has seen a lot of high speed 2-up riding so I wasn't expecting a ton of miles. I think I have about 3k on them right now and may get a few more hundred, but the left side is down to the wear bars and the center is real close. That seems to be about all I can get out of a ST tire anyways. Anywhere from 3200-4000 miles.

I think spud786 was right though. The tires seemed to get better as they got older. Maybe I just built up more confidence in them, but I had no slip issues with them while pushing pretty hard. The front still looks pretty good, so I have another rear sitting on the shelf waiting to go on. :fing02:

I just about have the rear BT-023 GT worn out after doing T-Mac. The tire has seen a lot of high speed 2-up riding so I wasn't expecting a ton of miles. I think I have about 3k on them right now and may get a few more hundred, but the left side is down to the wear bars and the center is real close. That seems to be about all I can get out of a ST tire anyways. Anywhere from 3200-4000 miles.

I think spud786 was right though. The tires seemed to get better as they got older. Maybe I just built up more confidence in them, but I had no slip issues with them while pushing pretty hard. The front still looks pretty good, so I have another rear sitting on the shelf waiting to go on. :fing02:

The road 2 still edges out the BT23 on life ( CONSIDERABLY)

Im SKEERED of BT 23;s I wont run them any more , I ran one last year, but way too slick in the tight stuff, seem to do okay on higher speed stuff, But I was deathly afraid to go into the cold rainy season. They dont have the side traction of the ROAD2.

I have the Touch Of a WOMAN, and the ditch is a nasty place to be, Go road 2 over BT23. The sad thing the cutting ability of the 21's, doesnt translate to the 23, the 23 did gain life but its not a tire I want to trust for performance, it spoke to me too often with slippage it the tight stuff, and it wasnt even wet. The Brief wetness I spent with it, the sides exhibted poorly(dry too), so if it works for you okay, but I know people who've entered the ditch as a result of 23's.

Since it doesnt beat the road two in life or handling or performance, why Bother, i know I dont

• Member Contributer

I put fresh 23's on before TMAC as well.

Rear was doing really well until it came to the 1000mile slab trip home in 90F temps. Now there is a very noticable flat spot down the middle. Last set ran 10k+ this set has only 2600 on them and starting to make me question the life left in it.

The road 2 still edges out the BT23 on life ( CONSIDERABLY)

Im SKEERED of BT 23;s I wont run them any more , I ran one last year, but way too slick in the tight stuff, seem to do okay on higher speed stuff, But I was deathly afraid to go into the cold rainy season. They dont have the side traction of the ROAD2.

I have the Touch Of a WOMAN, and the ditch is a nasty place to be, Go road 2 over BT23. The sad thing the cutting ability of the 21's, doesnt translate to the 23, the 23 did gain life but its not a tire I want to trust for performance, it spoke to me too often with slippage it the tight stuff, and it wasnt even wet. The Brief wetness I spent with it, the sides exhibted poorly(dry too), so if it works for you okay, but I know people who've entered the ditch as a result of 23's.

Since it doesnt beat the road two in life or handling or performance, why Bother, i know I dont

Is the life of the Road 2 better than the 023GT's or just the 023's?? Or both? I went with the GT's because I'm not exactly small, I run Beetle Bags on the bike, and do a lot of 2-up riding. I thought the GT's would be better for the weight.

How is the profile of the Road 2 compared to the 023?? I don't care for the Pilot Power profile. Just too twitchy for me unless I'm on the track.

I put fresh 23's on before TMAC as well.

Rear was doing really well until it came to the 1000mile slab trip home in 90F temps. Now there is a very noticable flat spot down the middle. Last set ran 10k+ this set has only 2600 on them and starting to make me question the life left in it.

Heat and a loaded bike will tear up any tire quickly. I went for a ride a few years ago with a Corsa III that I swore had several hundred miles left in it. It was close to 100 degrees and I was 2-up. Less than 100 miles later I had the belts showing.

In your case with 2 up and luggage, gt23 would do well and be more supportive, road 2 is about 20% more life,

the handling of the road 2 rear and GT23 is similar, but the Road 2 is just better as a performance tire. The GT is more a tractor tire, with outstanding straightline traction and averge life , tires like z6's and Perilli stradas. Still short of the Almighty Road 2.

• 11 months later...

I finally wore out the 2nd rear BT-023GT.......well, it was almost worn out. Might have gotten a couple hundred more miles, but I was going on a weekend trip and didn't want to chance it. My girlfriend got her own bike, so a lot less 2-up riding for me, and I have probably slowed down some riding with her most of the time.

So the first tire I think I ended up with about 3,200 miles out of it. This second tire though, I was at 6,100 miles before I changed it and might have got 6,500 out of it. The front tire was on during both rears, so 9,300 miles? Damn, I have never gotten that kind of miles out of tire......I must really be getting slow in my old age. :mellow:

Archived