BR's Bike is ready again!

Baileyrock

Most of you know of my High Side on my Track Vtec which broke both my legs back on Oct. 3rd, 2009, well in order to get the track Vtec dome I had to steal some parts off my street Vtec so I could ride it. They included the Ohlins rear shock, left peg assemble and windscreen.

Here's the poor girls situation for the last 5 months! :laughing6-hehe:

post-301-126867578902_thumb.jpg

I'm getting around pretty good right now and have been off crutches for just over 4 weeks. This fact along with some 70 deg weather has stocked a fire under my lazy butt to get my street VFR back together so Friday was the day.

I am embarrassed to say I have gone 43,000 miles on my revalved forks w/o an fluid change so I finally went ahead and did my "30 min. fork oil change" while at it.

Pretty easy & straight forward job and because I was installing a new PP front and wanted to make sure I had room for the impact wrench I pulled both wheels. I love the Center Stand!!! :fing02:

post-301-126867625321_thumb.jpg

The job took a little extra time as I had to clean a lot of dirty film off every part. Just click on a pic for X-large view.

post-301-126867632533_thumb.jpg

Here's after cleaning.

post-301-126867920526_thumb.jpg

Got that done and installed my new PP front.

I also worked on the rear of the bike, I was going to pull the Ohlins off the track Vtec and re-install it, but decided to try the Penske I had for the track Vtec instead and installed a 100 lb stiffer spring(1150 lb)

post-301-126867648867_thumb.jpg

This Penske was originally suppose to go on the track Vtec, but it had a problem that needed to be corrected before I could run it which would require me to ship it off again! Didn't have time so that's why I stole the Ohlins off my street Vtec and I new it was set-up well already. :fing02:

I had to swing the remote hose fitting to point forward for it to work properly w/o clearance issues, but no big deal. I didn't like how it worked with the fitting exiting backwards as it hit the under tray.

post-301-126867689022_thumb.jpg

With it pointing forward it opens full access to the Pre-Load adjuster and has not fitment issues!

post-301-126867813421_thumb.jpg

I also had to remove the lover rod end(hiem joint) in order to have room to install the shock with the top mount in place.

post-301-126867680089_thumb.jpg

I had already set the lock nut at the length I wanted so once the shock was installed I just had to screw it back on and lock the nut.

With the fitting pointing forward the hose was a perfect length to attach the reservoir in this location.

post-301-126867703082_thumb.jpg

With the H/F wheel chock installed on the H/F lift it was easy to check and set free & rider sag, especially when my g/f lent a hand to more accurately check my numbers(I was only 1/16" off doing it myself)

Then I set comp & rebound setting to feel and it should now be ready for a test ride that i hope to maybe get in this week! :goofy:

I would think the suspension should feel very fresh and better, after a little road feel I should have the Penske dialed pretty good. Can's wait! :bliss:

She's ready, now I just new to wash her! :unsure:

post-301-126867713945_thumb.jpg

BR

Nice work, BR. So how's your legs doing in the riding position? Or is that a non issue?

Thanks!

Good question! :laughing6-hehe:

I think alright! I think my biggest worry would be coming to a stop on slick or uneven ground and planting a foot and have it slide out on me, but really in over 100k miles that's happened maybe twice. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

BR,

you have been a inspiration thats for sure.

Might I suggest nice easy bicycling first to get your muscles and balance back.

Wrestling around a 500lb bike can quicky over come weak muscles especially at

odd angles. Just a thought.

PS did your g/f measure more or less? My guess is less. :laughing6-hehe:

See ya

Jon

• Member Contributer

Good deal. How'd that valve check go? Ride on sir! Kind of surprised you didn't re-paint, for the heck of it.

Oh and, shame on you for not changing your oil!

I suck, original antifreeze and T-stat also at 71k miles! Maybe the T-stat will Un-stick with some fresh coolant! :unsure:

But first valve check & Starter valve adjustment coming at 150k Miles! :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Be Super Careful on the First Ride..... :fing02: .....I wanna' see the "WASHED PICS".....I think T-Mac 2008 is the only time I ever remember seein' Your Bike clean....generally looks like mine..... :biggrin: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Good to see you getting back to normal!

Something tells me that there will be a lot of very careful riders on the roads this Spring :biggrin:

BR,

you have been a inspiration thats for sure.

Might I suggest nice easy bicycling first to get your muscles and balance back.

Wrestling around a 500lb bike can quicky over come weak muscles especially at

odd angles. Just a thought.

PS did your g/f measure more or less? My guess is less. :biggrin:

See ya

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I've been doing 1.5 hrs in the Pool 3 days a week since Feb. and started walking my dogs again last week on uneven ground which has really helped work all those angles and muscles a bunch. Use a stationary bike also and used a Mtn. bike on that first dog walk/ride!

I will definitely be careful whenever I ride the m/c, out of the yard and around the block will be the first test. :fing02:

Speaking of the pool, gotta head to the YMCA right now! :goofy:

BR

How did you get it on the lift with no shock or rear wheel?? comp13.gif

That's a good point,I guess you would just lift it by hand.I think you are strong enough to ride it grasshopper.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're getting bike and rider in shape! Best of luck getting back out there and be safe! :biggrin:

How did you get it on the lift with no shock or rear wheel?? comp13.gif

Hey I'm BR! I willed it there! :fing02:

Actually I realized that I had to do the shock first before I could get it on the lift so my repair story is azzbackwards! :goofy:

And it's a pain to have to do that work with a lift right there but can't get to it! sad.gif

PS back from the Y, now loading up the dogs for a 30 min walk along the river! :biggrin:

I will definitely be careful whenever I ride the m/c, out of the yard and around the block will be the first test. :biggrin:

Speaking of the pool, gotta head to the YMCA right now! :fing02:

BR

Be double careful. Also be careful at the Y, I have visions of you doing a Village People song! :goofy:

With all this riding, walking, swimming and such you'll be in better shape than most of us with 2 good legs! (I really need to do more, there's 26 hrs in a day right?)

Good on ya! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

With all this riding, walking, swimming and such you'll be in better shape than most of us with 2 good legs! (I really need to do more, there's 26 hrs in a day right?)

Good on ya! :biggrin:

Nope, only 24, just like a how many beers in a case..coincidence? I think not :fing02:

• Member Contributer

BR.....don't forget, that bike has the deadly VTEC :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Got any SLICK 50 in that beast. LOOKS good.laughing6-hehe.gif

That's funny, but I wish I had owned the company while it lasted. :biggrin:

And here I thought you rolled it up there with the swingarm in your wheelchair... :biggrin:

No the wheelchair was a rental or I would have tried it! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I bet Tightwad (Josh) would come out and do your valve check. He's got to be an expert by now!

Be safe out there.

Mark

• Member Contributer

I bet Tightwad (Josh) would come out and do your valve check. He's got to be an expert by now!

Be safe out there.

Mark

I almost spit my darn teeth out I laughed so hard. Man that's cruel. How much does he charged?

Archived