Heated vests

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

I'm looking to buy a heated vest. I don't know anything about them so far. What is a good one for a decent price? What else will I need to buy with one? And ideally I'd like to just wire it to the battery rather than make an aux plug in right now. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

There are several options available and they definitely make riding in the cold more pleasant. Hooking directly to your battery is easy enough as long as you include an inline fuse. I run my wiring between the seat and tank for easy access.

I can't say for all the ones I listed but they should come with the required wiring. Tourmaster for example includes a temp controller but with others like Gerbing they are extra. And I should also mention that our member Tightwad is a Powerlet heated gear dealer. His website is Wiremybike.com

Gerbings

Tourmaster

Aerostich Kanetsu

Powerlet

Warm-N-Safe

Firstgear

EXO 2

As a user of the Aerostich Kanetsu vest, I can say it works well, though is a bit on the bulky side. Has heavy fleece and windbloc. After several years of use it still performs.

If I were looking to buy now, I'd be more inclined to get a heated liner (jacket style) instead if the vest. More modern gear is thinner and warmer, or so I've heard. And cold arms do suck.

Consider what you'll be wearing it under and the kinds of conditions you will ride in. Do your research. Borrow a friend's if possible, and see what you think. A heat controller would also be a good buy, though that does increase the cost.

Some very good info is available on this very topic over on advrider.com., under the equipment category. Use the search function.

• Member Contributer

Make sure the vest fits very snuggly. I bought a lightly used older BMW (USA made by widder) vest off of ADVRider. Then I bought a powerlet outlet from tighwad. Total $ spent was about $125 and I am shitting in high cotton when its cold.

Make sure the vest fits very snuggly. I bought a lightly used older BMW (USA made by widder) vest off of ADVRider. Then I bought a powerlet outlet from tighwad. Total $ spent was about $125 and I am shitting in high cotton when its cold.

Be careful with the Widder products, you can't connect them to other heated lines in series. I like the Powerlet jacket liner, but I can see times just a vest would be nice as well. A controller can help keep the heat moderate without boiling you.

• Member Contributer

Tourmaster Synergy has both a heated vest and a heated jacket liner. I've got the jacket liner. The nice thing about the Synergy line is that each piece of heated clothing comes with its own controller, so you don't have to pay a whole lot extra for one. Then all you need is a Powerlet fused coax cable for a direct battery hook up.

gallery_12878_5047_6997.jpg

gallery_12878_5047_3527.jpg

gallery_12878_5047_6752.jpg

gallery_12878_5047_30041.gif

To clarify a little bit, I really want something that goes up the neck. Does this exist? I really like the tourmaster but it is strictly a vest. And what are your thoughts of vest vs. jacket. I've heard from others that live here in MN, that the jacket doesn't really make a difference. That a vest is enough.

To clarify a little bit, I really want something that goes up the neck. Does this exist? I really like the tourmaster but it is strictly a vest. And what are your thoughts of vest vs. jacket. I've heard from others that live here in MN, that the jacket doesn't really make a difference. That a vest is enough.

The key is for the jacket or vest to be a snug fit. I like the heated arms in the jacket when its only 25F and Im wearing only a long sleve Tshirt underneath @ 70+ mph.

• Member Contributer

I've almost always gotten by with just a vest and only used the attachable arm chaps a couple of times. Gerbing has some new gear using their "Micro wire" design that was recently recommended to me and I'll be trying out. They have vests & jackets with heated collars. http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Liners/heatedJacketLiner.html

• Member Contributer

Another thing to consider when deciding vest vs. jacket liner is that with a jacket liner it's way easy to add heated gloves as the liner provides plugs for them. Not so with the vest. I bought the Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves (leather) first to see how they perform. They're OK, but don't heat the thumb very well at all. I think I'm going to spring for the Gerbings gear next cold season...

• Member Contributer

To clarify a little bit, I really want something that goes up the neck. Does this exist? I really like the tourmaster but it is strictly a vest.

Tourmaster synergy offers a jacket. See the above picture. I'm not sure if the neck part contains heating elements, though. Can anyone with one of these say if the neck part is heated? And how are the arms heated compared to the rest?

• Member Contributer

If you look at the pics in my previous post, you will see that the Synergy jacket, as well as one of the two vest choices, have heated collars. And I prefer the jacket over the vest. I only wear it when it's very cold, and then my arms need heat also.

So I've tenatively narrowed it down to the Tourmaster vest with collar and the Gerbings vest with Collar. Both around $140. Am I correct that the Tourmaster comes with a temp controller and the Gerbing doesn't? Does anyone have any preferences either way on these or recommendations on where to get good deals on them?

The Powerlet jacket has a heated neck, but I don't find it helpful with a helmet on, as there is interference and it isn't that comfortable. I do like the connection to the gloves, and their gloves work very well and are sporty.

• Member Contributer

:pissed: For the Tourmaster vest. I bought one last year and am very happy.

The Tourmaster comes with the controller. I bought the collar less version for less than $120.

:pissed: For the Tourmaster vest. I bought one last year and am very happy.

The Tourmaster comes with the controller. I bought the collar less version for less than $120.

Tourmaster is still having trouble with it controllers going out...I just bought a liner and the second time I used it the controller went tits up on me...They have had a ton of these go bad, and from what I am hearing its a 50/50 chance that you get good controller....I finally bought an adapter plug from powerlet so I can use and inline controller...just my 2 cent

Dan

• Member Contributer

So I've tenatively narrowed it down to the Tourmaster vest with collar and the Gerbings vest with Collar. Both around $140. Am I correct that the Tourmaster comes with a temp controller and the Gerbing doesn't? Does anyone have any preferences either way on these or recommendations on where to get good deals on them?

I got my Synergy stuff from an eBay seller. You could make an offer, and if acceptable, you would get the product at a pretty deep discount. I cannot, however, remember the seller. Do a search on eBay.

Gerbing seems to have upgraded their line up in the last few years, I also point out synergy comes with contoller, and every peice of gear, you'll never be without a working controller, these can cost as much as $99 EXTRA depending on which brand you buy. So the price /package and quality, fits the wallet with synergy and I have the vest no collar. Use it all the time this time of year, and its works when the weather gets flakey bouncing all over the place. as its easy to wear even in warm conditions with no heat.

I do definitely intend to get the full Jacket also , for sustained colder times. I got laid off in August last year or I'd have already bought it, so this year maybe I get it by next winter.

Tires and chains at the fore front right now.

• Member Contributer

Dan, if you're in Minnesota, you owe it to your homies to at least give Aerostich (over in Duluth) a look-see.

They used to sell just a plain-jane electric fleece vest, with a collar, and with zippers at the armholes for optional sleeves. (Seems like everything they list now is either Windblocker fleece and/or Airvantage extra insulation, but it's worth looking.)

I've been wearing that vest for a few years now when the the temps dip, and I've been happy with it.

YMMV - I live in Alabama, so what works for me may or may not work in Minnesota for you.

Ron

• Member Contributer

On the jacket vs. vest question, I bought the jacket liner because my primary riding jacket is the Kilimanjaro Air with mesh sleeves. So I could either buy a jacket liner, or wear the liner that came with the jacket AND the vest AND the jacket and resemble the Michelin Man (or Woman) once I got it all on. No thanks, I bought the jacket liner and have heated sleeves. smile.gif

I bought Gerbings because they're across the bay from here and I could roll up to the factory outlet, try on several different sizes and get the one that fit, then walk out to the parking lot and hook it all up. You know, instant gratification....

Enjoy the heat once you decide what you're getting. It's worth every penny!

GypsyCat

I've been using the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for years now and it's kept me riding through the toughest of winters. However, I would say to anyone thinking of buying go for the new BIKETEK range, you get a temp controller as standard and it's far more reliable.

Anyone know if Gerbing, Tourmaster, Aerostich, etc., offer a vest or jacket liner with a BMW type plug? I have a Powerlet steering stem socket and would like to just plug right in.

• Member Contributer

Anyone know if Gerbing, Tourmaster, Aerostich, etc., offer a vest or jacket liner with a BMW type plug? I have a Powerlet steering stem socket and would like to just plug right in.

You just need a Powerlet socket on one end, and a coax socket on the other, then plug it into your gear.

• Member Contributer

I have a widder vest. As has been mentioned, it's not the best. The gerbing is made in specific sizes. If you go to a bike show that they are at, the will have racks of clothes for you to try on to get the correct size. Heated gear has to be snug for it to work properly. The Widder is the small-medium-large style. It's not as good as the Gerbing in that respect. I've had mine for close to 10 years and it's still working so it has been durable.

Archived