Heated vests

Guest danmurphymn

I use to use a heated vest and that was decent, BUT it's hard to beat a Heated Jacket Liner w/heated sleeves & Collar, I bought a Gerbing 3-4 years ago and it's awesome!!! Can't live w/o it now, will start out on 300 mile loops as cool as in the 20's with this thing. That and heated grips make year riding a blast! :fing02:

Gerbing repaired my socks fairly quickly and free of charge when I had an issue. :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

I lost my earlier post, must have hit the wrong button. Anyway I just did the tech art for the new Tourmaster catalog and thought you guys may appreciate it. I had no idea how these heated deals worked before I did this: http://www.hatchillu...Tourmaster.html

I thought the collar on the jacket liner and collared vest was heated also. Never noticed with my jacket liner. I'll have to pay attention next time I wear it. unsure.gif

I lost my earlier post, must have hit the wrong button. Anyway I just did the tech art for the new Tourmaster catalog and thought you guys may appreciate it. I had no idea how these heated deals worked before I did this: http://www.hatchillu...Tourmaster.html

I thought the collar on the jacket liner and collared vest was heated also. Never noticed with my jacket liner. I'll have to pay attention next time I wear it. unsure.gif

The collar very well could be heated, you can feel the coils in there pretty easily on your unit.

• Member Contributer

Remember for the vest to be effective, it needs to be against you and have an insulator between you and the coat outer shell.

• Member Contributer

I have a widder vest. As has been mentioned, it's not the best. The gerbing is made in specific sizes. If you go to a bike show that they are at, the will have racks of clothes for you to try on to get the correct size. Heated gear has to be snug for it to work properly. The Widder is the small-medium-large style. It's not as good as the Gerbing in that respect. I've had mine for close to 10 years and it's still working so it has been durable.

Widder, when they were still in business, did make them in specific sizes, 40, 42, 44, etc. I had a 42 for years and really liked it until it, ahem, shrank, and I had to get a larger size. If you can find any new old stock I'd still recommend them, they were well made.

So I bought the tourmaster today. Hook it up, plug it in and the light lights up for a little, it starts to get warm and the light goes out. I've tried many times, I can get the light to come on for 5-10 seconds then nothing. And nothing makes me madder than looking for the customer service line and ONLY GETTING EMAIL AS AN OPTION!!! I want some resolution today...

I heard that the controllers are a 50/50 shot of working good. Is this what happens when they are bad? Nothing at all? Or do I just have to be riding to make it work fully?

So far I'm not impressed...

So I bought the tourmaster today. Hook it up, plug it in and the light lights up for a little, it starts to get warm and the light goes out. I've tried many times, I can get the light to come on for 5-10 seconds then nothing. And nothing makes me madder than looking for the customer service line and ONLY GETTING EMAIL AS AN OPTION!!! I want some resolution today...

I heard that the controllers are a 50/50 shot of working good. Is this what happens when they are bad? Nothing at all? Or do I just have to be riding to make it work fully?

So far I'm not impressed...

Back when they first came out, they used 10 amp controllers, the new jackets are 25 amp controllers. Many local shops still have the 3 year old controllers and jackets.

Thats why I went mail order to get a new version jacket 2009 was the year of the 25 amp.

they will get you another controller. Sorry you have to deal with this

the sizing also ran somewhat small prior to 2009

it should say on the back of the controller the amperage. or the 10 amp unit has a green dot.

Thanks for the info. I hope this isn't the case. My controller doesn't say anything on the back. Just 12vdc and 150 watt max power. And of course, made in China. How else can I know if I got the old one and what do I do to fix it? I'm willing to send it to cortech if that's what it takes. I want the good one. Or if it's a pain, I'll just return it and get the gerbing... Still frustrated any time a company doesn't provide any numbers to call.

Thanks for the info. I hope this isn't the case. My controller doesn't say anything on the back. Just 12vdc and 150 watt max power. And of course, made in China. How else can I know if I got the old one and what do I do to fix it? I'm willing to send it to cortech if that's what it takes. I want the good one. Or if it's a pain, I'll just return it and get the gerbing... Still frustrated any time a company doesn't provide any numbers to call.

Did you buy it local?

It sounds like that may be a new controller. I've seen the 10 amp ones and they say 10 amp.

But take it back , and they can give you another controller and deal with it themselves. Or just return it as defective.

Mine ending its second season and zero issues

Ok, another question / option. I believe that this vest is good, but the fact that right out of the box, it didn't work. Also the customer service is unavailable since there is no contact number. So I'm thinking of just returning the vest and buying the Gerbing. Here's my question:

After further research I found a gerbing battery powered vest. It looks like you can plug it in, so I could have it plugged in while riding and have it work for hours of riding. It also says that there is 2 hours of heat at full power. I live in Minnesota, and ride my bicycle to work and school every day in the winter so a battery powered heated vest would be amazing. Has anyone used these specific battery powered heated vests or have any knowledge of them? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I bought mine mail order last fall. I just checked and it has the same sticker on the controller as yours. I used it a number of times without any issues.

Remember for the vest to be effective, it needs to be against you and have an insulator between you and the coat outer shell.

I bought Gerbings' jacket, controller and gloves in '92.Their controller at the time was near the size and weight of a brick. A year or 2 later they had a small controller and swapped it for me. The collar of the jacket is heated and can be tucked up under your helmet. The gloves are far better than heated grips, in my view. The backs of your hands get cold, not your palms and there's no bulk. It's been tested at big numbers and temps down to 16 F, for many hours at a time, (K12RS, Toronto to Boston & others). All my road bikes have Powerlet connectors wired, w/fuse to the battery. They make a perfect charge port, as well. Yes. I like Gerbings. I've not had a single reason not to in 18 years..

YMMV, B~

Ok, another question / option. I believe that this vest is good, but the fact that right out of the box, it didn't work. Also the customer service is unavailable since there is no contact number. So I'm thinking of just returning the vest and buying the Gerbing. Here's my question:

After further research I found a gerbing battery powered vest. It looks like you can plug it in, so I could have it plugged in while riding and have it work for hours of riding. It also says that there is 2 hours of heat at full power. I live in Minnesota, and ride my bicycle to work and school every day in the winter so a battery powered heated vest would be amazing. Has anyone used these specific battery powered heated vests or have any knowledge of them? Thanks.

I havent heard anything real positive with the dc battery powered gear, lower longevity and not the same heat level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I picked up a battery powered vest this weekend at an outdoor show here in town. Was late in the day of the last day and everyone was starting to packup. Paid cash and got a $225 vest for $100. Its by TechNiche, has 5 power settings and battery life is 12-4hours depending on the setting your on. Once bike season gets rolling here in Ontario and I can wear more than just around the house I'll give a better review

5627_black_75.jpg

IonGearTM Battery Powered Heating Vest

Designed to allow for maximum user mobility, this vests runs off of an intelligent Lithium Ion battery All heating elements are completely removable making vest cleaning easy and safe With 5 available temperature settings you can keep warm for up to 12 hours.

Available in Black, Softshell fabric

Sizes XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL

I found a good deal on a Gerbing heated fleece vest and should be receiving it today. I'll post up on my thoughts of it when I can. For me, even if it is not as warm, the flexibility of being able to use it all winter is worth it. I work downtown and think it's a sin to pay for parking so I park about a mile away from work. I then ride my pedal bike to work in the cold Minneapolis winters so I love the idea of having a battery powered heated vest for those -20 windchill days... I'll keep ya posted.

Gentlemen, others,

The latest issue, (4/10), of Motorcycle Consumer News has a rather comprehensive evaluation of vests, jacket liners and gloves.

Jacket liners: 1st place First Gear Warm & Safe @ $199,99. 2nd Gerbing's @ $199-95. 3rd Aerostich @ $297.00.

Vests: 1st place EXO2 Stormrider Bodywarmer @ $134.99, 2nd Tourmaster Synergy @ $134.99. No 3rd place test.

Gloves: 1st place Gerbing's G3 @ $139.99. 2nd EXO2 Stormshield @ $229.99. 3rd FirstGear @ $129.95. 4th Tourmaster @ $169.99.

Controllers/Thermostats: 1st place EXO2 Stormrider @ $53.99. 2nd place FirstGear @ $99.95. 3rd Gerbing's @ $99.95.

MCN didn't get into the myriad of wiring and connector types and how well they may work together. They did take the 1st place product from each category and combine them and had no wiring issues at all. My added caution is that if anyone has a Widder system,or parts, make certain polarity is maintained throughout or you will ruin, at least, the controller.

Good fortune, B~

I have no connection with MCN. I have been a very satisfied subscription holder for more than 20 years. See www.mcnews.com

• Member Contributer

I, too, read the MCN review of heated gear. I was disappointed. It seemed to me they just rushed the article without taking the time to do some real comparisons. It was at best a seat-of-the-pants review. Not all that helpful in my opinion. Other than that, I enjoy MCN and look forward to every issue.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread. I went out a bought the Gerbing liner with the remote controller. Rode to work the other morning. All I can say is, I should have had one of these years ago. :fing02: It was 30deg. and I was toasty. Didn't have to stand next to the heater duct in the control room for 30 minutes to warmn back up. LOL

Oh, I forgot to give a review of my battery powered vest.

I bought the Gerbing lithium ion powered heated fleece vest. It is pretty much what I expected, not as warm as a full plug in version but overall I am very happy. It has a pad on each chest and one in the middle of the upper back. So it's not all over warmth. I was basically looking for something to take the chill away and I figured that since I'd probably ride less than 10 times per year when I need something heated, I'd rather have the flexibility. I work downtown Minneapolis and think it's a sin to pay for parking so I park 1 mile away and ride my pedal bike. I'll be able to use this vest ALL throughout the winter instead of just those 10 rides.

Although for the riding it has worked out very well also. I rode to work about 30 minutes last friday in 26 degree weather. I had the vest on 75%, a sweater on under it and my joe rocket mesh jacket with the liner on the inside. I was not even chilly other than my neck which no vest is really going to protect the chin area. So overall I'm very happy, it's extremely flexible for when I can use it. It's not as warm as a plug in version but the flexibility outweighs that for me. Riding below freezing at 80 mph for 30 minutes, it worked perfectly. I am very happy with it.

Archived