Bicycle rack for VFR

cch317

I know a lot of you guys on here also ride bicycles, so I wanted to show you my new high speed bike transport. I recently got this system and have about 200 miles on it so far, so I will be updating this post as time wears on. Its pretty much a sw-motech 6th gen rack from twistedthrottle.com and a 2X2 generic rack from 2X2cycle.com. I will warn you its a pricey set up ($150 for the sw-motech rack and $300 for the 2X2 rack), but after months of research this is the best system I could come up with.

Also the sw-motech has a pretty light weight limit, so I would caution against any bike over 25lb(which is the weight of my current bike). I'm rocking a GT 29er hardtail size small, and that's about the heaviest bike I would put on there, due to the sw-motech racks weight limit and mounting points on our bikes. I did think about bolting the 2X2 rack to a "kens" rack and still might, since it would move the bike more over the passenger seat for better weight distribution. Not sure on the weight limit for those, so if anyone has one please post up the weight limit for it. So far I'm loving it, we are a one car family and I couldn't get out and ride as much as I wanted since the wife had the truck at work, now I'm hitting the trail 3x a week and its been sweet. I'm not a big poster as you can tell, so if this was posted in the wrong section Mods please move it to the appropriate place.

gallery_255_5164_131447.jpg

SL732436.JPG

gallery_255_5164_105343.jpg

SL732438.JPG

gallery_255_5164_1498961.jpg

SL732434.JPG

gallery_255_5164_339480.jpg

SL732435.JPG

gallery_255_5164_982899.jpg

SL732440.JPG

• Member Contributer

wow :biggrin: :goofy:

Don't think that would be my first idea on doing it. I'd be worried about yielding the bolts or something with all that leverage.

But for innovation, that get's a :wheel:

Looks good, although I'd have the same concerns about the bike leveraging and wrenching the fizations loose... but really my main concern if that, at least over here in Spain that would be highly illegal. According to the law, you can't have anything protruding out the back of a car that much, let alone a motorbike... get informed before you get fined!!

Besides all that, 10 points for innovation!!

Nice innovation there.

I don't know the laws for your area, but I believe in TX if you're over a foot or so behind the rear of the vehicle, you need a red safety flag attached. Thats easy to attach.

I've pondered doing this with my KHS Alite 3000, just haven't done it.

• Member Contributer

There is a guy that comes into my store that has a rack similar to that on his 5th gen. I've been pondering the idea myself. I could just figure out how to get two on my dad's ST1300...hmmm

• Member Contributer

Always wanted to do that with my bike but never have made the effort. Good job!:goofy:

Ken's bracket is plenty stout with the weight positioned directly above but I'm not sure it would be suitable to that much leverage. Could you mount the 2x2 rack further forward on the luggage plate so the forks are over the passenger seat?

• Member Contributer

Good idea... But it scares the crap out of me just looking at it... Yikes... Hope it works out well.. Let us know.

• Member Contributer

Well this is a first. Sort of reminds me of that picture floating around the 'net of that car with a Windowed Air Conditioning unit put in the back door attached to a 5k Generator strapped to the trunk hehe.

Hmmm, you might have a product to start produse and sell there.

I was woundering how I could go and check out trails next summer (outher than locall) as I will only have the bike (vfr) to ride, I put car of the road to save some. Now I know how, just need to make one (or dream of one...).

Sharp edged road joints, potholes, normal road vibration and other vertical displacements are going to produce significant torque moments.

What is the weight of that bicycle and where is the center of mass? What is the max recommended load of Honda's trunk and it's center of mass? Simple torque arm calculations will give you a good idea what kind of loads you are going to generate.

I think a bigger concern will be some certain speed that your whole set-up vibrates like a tuning fork.

Good luck with your set-up.

I am also concerned about the leverage on the grab handle bolts, since that is the only attachment for the sw-motech rack. I talked with Garrett (owner of 2X2cycles) yesterday by phone and he suggested placing two tie down straps from the passenger pegs to the handle bars to help relive some torque on the bolts. Threw on two old tie downs I had laying in the garage, and believe it or not it works pretty well. Seems to take a lot of the rear weight off the bike. I think if I didn't already have the factory bags I would have gone with the Givi rear rack since it has lower supports built in. As for the over hang of the bike I will be adding a small red flag to the rear wheel as suggested. In its current setup (with out the straps in place since I haven't gotten a chance to road test them yet) I have had the bike up to 90mph with no vibration or buffeting issues. It corners normally and most of the time I don't even know the bikes back there. It is a little more affected by cross winds, but nothing unmanageable. Again it's a work in progress so any and all suggestions are welcomed. The below pictures is the idea of placing the tie down straps, I will take some actual photos when I get a chance. The red line represents the tie down, the blue line the current forces on the bolts and bike, and the yellow the force exerted by the strap in place.

gallery_255_5164_505261.jpg

SL7324341.JPG

• Member Contributer

as a fan of all things two wheeled, that is really cool.

my concern would be the entire setup trying twist up and over under hard braking - maybe another bungee to anchor the rear of the bicycle to a point low on the motorcycle?

jim

Ummm, this is projecting the appearence of imminent danger. You may have to start reading bridge clearence warnings with this rig. Can any engineers out there calculate the sheer forces on those bolts? We may need more information.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but that arrangement is scary as hell. That amount of mass cantilevered so far from the bikes center gravity will do all manner of nasty things to the handling. What others have said or suggested regarding the strength of various components is also a huge caution. And as other posters said and I agree; How can that arrangement be legal? I'm very glad you survived the mileage you have put on that assembly. I wish you would stop now and not risk your life any further riding with that setup. And a bungee cord! Man. Are you suicidal?. A tie-down strap! The bike weighs 25# and the lever advantage is? Please don't do this.

A Stella Award in your future? An ultra embarrassing U-tube clip? Be famous for some less infamous. B~

I've actually been working on a similar setup myself. I'm hoping to have the option of mounting two bikes, one road and one mtn for trips up to GA. Taking two Yakima fork mount holders and mounting a cross bar bracketing them to the same grab rail bolts you did, then bringing another support off the saddle bag brackets in the rear ( around the tag mount and reflector mount ) to support the rear of the bike. Having the bikes actually slant down at a 35-45 degree angle. I have the Yakima mounts, I just need to fabricate a bracket to attach the cross bar to the grab rails and a support for the rear. The idea behind angling it downward is the keep the wind off the bike, and to limit the effects of wind affecting handling of the bike, using myself and the bike as a barrier. I'll post up when I finish... if all goes to plan!

PS: We should meet up at Carter Road or Santos one day! Plus I would like to see your setup in person, maybe give me some ideas.

• Member Contributer

There is a safety advantage, though. You will have a nanosecond advanced warning if you are tail-ended. (J/K)biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but that arrangement is scary as hell. That amount of mass cantilevered so far from the bikes center gravity will do all manner of nasty things to the handling. What others have said or suggested regarding the strength of various components is also a huge caution. And as other posters said and I agree; How can that arrangement be legal? I'm very glad you survived the mileage you have put on that assembly. I wish you would stop now and not risk your life any further riding with that setup. And a bungee cord! Man. Are you suicidal?. A tie-down strap! The bike weighs 25# and the lever advantage is? Please don't do this.

A Stella Award in your future? An ultra embarrassing U-tube clip? Be famous for some less infamous. B~

I've been looking into a rack like this for my 3rd gen. And I am a mechanical engineer. I think that even without the tie-down straps to the rear pegs that the structure is fine (assuming you're not carrying a 50lb downhill rig). Two things that I would do, though: I would replace all the fasteners with grade 8 fasteners; and I would also inspect the structure before every ride, especially the joints, for any cracks developing.

That said, if I go this route, I will definitely be tying the handlebars forward (probably tie-straps to the rear pegs). As previously mentioned, that would move the load path forward and down. Although the mass would still be back and up, I honestly don't think it would have any more effect than a passenger back there.

The other thing that one could do if they were overly concerned with the weight cantilevered out there would be to remove both wheels and attach them further forward, maybe even to the side of the motorcycle. The wheels on a MTB account for a lot of the mass, and moving them forward would help with the stress and the handling.

• Member Contributer

Thinking outside the box is good, but ---- I'm sorry, that just looks altogether wrong. I would never attempt to ride the motorcycle with a bike hanging off like that.

Find some other bike friends or a a beater car.

It's cool, but it does stick out way too far from the bike's tail. I'd be concerned with depth perception challenged car drivers that might plow into your bicycle's rear wheel at a traffic stop. Why not do the side racks instead with just wheels on one side and the frame on the other. That should substantially shorten the whole works, even shorter that the one on the silver 5th gen shown on this thread.

Beck

95 VFR

Archived