PRCT2'a

Bent

• Member Contributer

Bent, are you going to be selling a set of tires in the future? Im kinda looking for a set for the VFR/CBR bike that Nick has....we just can't afford to pay even attention lately. :ph34r: Those original Pilot Road tires are really slick ( no traction to speak of ).

No, I'm not selling them. I knew I would work thru it but was really disappointed until I really rode them at warp speed today. I'm capable of it but don't like to play with the odds every time out. :goofy:

The original PR's and Z6's win my award for pure rubber junk. They stick about like grease.... :fing02:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Used to agree with You totally on the BT021s Bent...I hated em' before they were even half worn, and ALWAYS cupped the front....."but".....not sure if they changed something or what, but I've had 2 Great sets that I wore out this year, and put a third set on before tradin' off the Bike....just wanted to toss this out there..... :fing02: :beer:

• Member Contributer

@@@@@@The PR2 is a tire for cross country or straight interstate riding depends on your needs and size of your wallet.@@@@

Agree with you for the most part, silkysmooth. I run ST tires in the twisties to about their limits because I seem to eat tires faster than anyone I know. That's why I was glad to see the dual compound tires come out.

They've allowed me to go as fast as I'm willing and a very small number of people here know how much I can wick it up decently when I want to. I just don't believe in "racing" on public roads as a habit because there are too many unpredictables as opposed to the track. :beer: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Used to agree with You totally on the BT021s Bent...I hated em' before they were even half worn, and ALWAYS cupped the front....."but".....not sure if they changed something or what, but I've had 2 Great sets that I wore out this year, and put a third set on before tradin' off the Bike....just wanted to toss this out there..... :fing02: :beer:

Did you go over 45mph on them? :beer: tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

Bent,

I've only ridden several sets of the ppower front and road 2 rear combo, I can say the road 2 rear is slower than ppower front. So I would assume adding the road 2 front would slow the package even more.

The road 2 vagueness increases as it gets older, but they get damn good life, you might try what I do run, like 44.5 psi in the rear .

Personally I'm sick of the road 2 rear , from a fall in postion, I want quicker, so i've gone back to a known quicker rear tire , that better blends with my Ppower front, but its 30% less life. I only paid $118 for it though so it works out cost wise.

I'll just have to work thru it, Spud. Had a good day on them today. I always seem to adjust to tires except for the two crap tires I mention above. Oh, and after riding thru "over the road water today" and getting the chain very wet, the Motorex chain lube didn't come off AT ALL. It's utterly amazing stuff....THANKS for getting me on to it!! :fing02:

Bent,

Yeah, after years and 30k plus miles on the quick steering PP's I pretty much knew exactly what the bike would do. On the very first day I road the PR 2 set I rode over from Nashville leading a group to the T-mac at a comfy quick Pace, the tires felt decent but different. Then when I got there I hooked up with the fastest group and started pushing. I missed several apexes because I flicked it like always and the tires responded slower. I felt like a squid crossing the double lines :beer: , but like I said once you adjust to them you can safely push them to PP grip levels no worries! :fing02:

I think anyone coming off any original equipment tire to the PR 2 with be shocked at how great they feel, steer & grip, but again they are ST tires that steer slower that most SS tires and you'll feel that. This is why I run the PP/PR 2 sets now.

BR

• Member Contributer

Maybe your just to old for Change! :beer:

Hopefully they come around for you, if not just slap a PP on the front and you'll most likely be happier! :beer:

I wouldn't mind trying some BS016's or 021's, can anyone tell me if they last longer than PP's they've used?

Never run a single Avon. :fing02:

BR

Ask Kenny. He's had a set of 016's on the Gixxer since Fathers Day at Road Atl. Two days there and another at Jennings, I think?

Personally I love them!!! Great trip down too Va to visit no probs wink.gif Except for losing all but 8psi in the rear on N95 south in Jersey... My fault for not checking the clearance between the caliper and the valve stem.

LOLgoofy.gif

• Member Contributer

Bent,

Yeah, after years and 30k plus miles on the quick steering PP's I pretty much knew exactly what the bike would do. On the very first day I road the PR 2 set I rode over from Nashville leading a group to the T-mac at a comfy quick Pace, the tires felt decent but different. Then when I got there I hooked up with the fastest group and started pushing. I missed several apexes because I flicked it like always and the tires responded slower. I felt like a squid crossing the double lines :beer: , but like I said once you adjust to them you can safely push them to PP grip levels no worries! :biggrin:

I think anyone coming off any original equipment tire to the PR 2 with be shocked at how great they feel, steer & grip, but again they are ST tires that steer slower that most SS tires and you'll feel that. This is why I run the PP/PR 2 sets now.

BR

Exactly. I just needed to push them and learn what it takes to put the bike exactly where I want it like I'm used to doing. :beer:

Today is beautiful.....and 30 degrees. Afraid I'm going to wimp out today.... :blush:

• Member Contributer

The first ten years with my 90, I never got more than about 3k out of the front and 5k rear. I let a rear metzler go to 7k once and got to the bottom of my driveway when it flatted. Cords werent holding air anymore.

That said, I have been off my VFR for 6 years (yikes! - moved to New Orleans, no job - just moved...long story. Then getting setled, katrina came thru, then back to school...finally about to get the old girl back on the road!!!). It's really awesome to look at how far tires have come for MC use. Really some of the Battlaxes and such only went for 1500 - 2000 miles back when. I think by 1991, about 14k miles on the bike I was on my third rear and fourth front... some of the fronts went more than 3k of course, but shoudn't have! And tire prices have not changed much. I have receipts from 95 for 160 bucks for rears...

I can't wait to get back on the road! My little XT 600 thumper just doesn't do it for me. Thanks to HS for keeping this site going! And thanks to all of ya'll for writing.

Side note: anybody know what the "B" on the PR2 stands for? Is it worth 30 more bucks?

Used to agree with You totally on the BT021s Bent...I hated em' before they were even half worn, and ALWAYS cupped the front....."but".....not sure if they changed something or what, but I've had 2 Great sets that I wore out this year, and put a third set on before tradin' off the Bike....

Are you sure it is the 021 that cupped badly and not the 020?

Side note: anybody know what the "B" on the PR2 stands for? Is it worth 30 more bucks?

The PR2 B and C type are indeed a little bit more expensive than the A series PR2s. The B series is for heavier Tourers like the FJR, not sure what the C type PR2 is for, I suppose even heavier bikes.

• Member Contributer

Used to agree with You totally on the BT021s Bent...I hated em' before they were even half worn, and ALWAYS cupped the front....."but".....not sure if they changed something or what, but I've had 2 Great sets that I wore out this year, and put a third set on before tradin' off the Bike....just wanted to toss this out there..... :biggrin: :beer:

LOLgoofy.gif

...a coupla' times (that 50 MPH Rush is really somethin').... :goofy: .....Baileyrock, Yes, BT021s outlast Pilot Powers, even for me (can usually squeeze mileage outa' PPs... :wheel: ), by a lot...got really fond of em' in 2009 for Trips. Yes, somewhat slower turn-in, etc., but can be adjusted to after a while... :laugh:...V4Rosso, Yep, I always used to cup BT021s on the front, and fairly early...I tried Everything to no avail. Three Great Sets in 2009...couldn't believe I was actually buyin' em'. Usually waitin' to get em' off if they arrived on a Bike I bought.... :blush:

Would you all feel confident enough in the PR2s or Roadsmarts to leave them on for a track day?

Depends on what you are when it comes to track days. Novice, sure, why not. I've seen SEVERAL pics of bikes with PR2s on them...all street with taped lights. Anything faster then novice, i'd probably recommend a good sport tire or DOT Race.

This pic was taken on a VTEC running PR2s front & rear. I was only going 5 sec a lap slower than on the CBR1000RR with slicks... :wheel: And the front was shagged too - right down to the wear indicators...

What I did notice was in the faster corners, they gave you *lots* of advance warning not to go any harder. Bars went from good pressure on the inside bar to all sort of light/vague in feel, you knew that was as far as you should go. Once (and only once) I pushed it a little too see what would happen, stubby footpeg and knee slider hit the deck quick smart. Oops, that'll do :biggrin:

Just FYI I was running 32psi front, 34psi rear, probably would have got better feel out of them with a couple less but was just feeling them out.

Used to agree with You totally on the BT021s Bent...I hated em' before they were even half worn, and ALWAYS cupped the front....."but".....not sure if they changed something or what, but I've had 2 Great sets that I wore out this year, and put a third set on before tradin' off the Bike....just wanted to toss this out there..... fing02.gifbeer.gif

Did you go over 45mph on them? beer.giftongue.gif

LOLgoofy.gif

...a coupla' times (that 50 MPH Rush is really somethin').... goofy.gif .....Baileyrock, Yes, BT021s outlast Pilot Powers, even for me (can usually squeeze mileage outa' PPs... biggrin.gif ), by a lot...got really fond of em' in 2009 for Trips. Yes, somewhat slower turn-in, etc., but can be adjusted to after a while... fing02.gif...V4Rosso, Yep, I always used to cup BT021s on the front, and fairly early...I tried Everything to no avail. Three Great Sets in 2009...couldn't believe I was actually buyin' em'. Usually waitin' to get em' off if they arrived on a Bike I bought.... fing02.gif

The good part about the Bt21 is only the rear, take the front and throw it away, mount ppower front, very good package , but not road 2 rear life, But alot quicker fall in.

The good part about the Bt21 is only the rear, take the front and throw it away, mount ppower front, very good package , but not road 2 rear life, But alot quicker fall in.

spud,

Have you tried the 016 front with the 021 rear?

BR

spud,

BR

B016 fronts are not as good as PPfing02.gif

The BT021s are comparable in mileage - I had two sets and got about 11,000 kilometres (just under 7,000 miles) on each. The PR2s I got up to 15,000+ (9,400 miles - if you want to go right to the cords).

Interesting post, Bent. I tried the dunlops, bt021s, pilot roads and a few sets of the PR2s and I've felt most confident on them (least on the dunlops which wore well but were greasy). I'd be curious to try the avon storms just for one set. Maybe when I have my tire changer next year.

Maybe your just to old for Change! :goofy:

Hopefully they come around for you, if not just slap a PP on the front and you'll most likely be happier! :goofy:

I wouldn't mind trying some BS016's or 021's, can anyone tell me if they last longer than PP's they've used?

Never run a single Avon. :laugh:

BR

spud,

BR

I have not run the 16 front, for the life and performance expectation and what I do, the PP front is good enough to me, I just dont bother with even trying anything else.

Thanks guys, sounds like my love of the PP's are correct! :laugh:

I think I'm getting somewhere between 3100-3400 miles from a PP/PR 2 combo and replace them as a set. :goofy:

There is a slight funk with the front towards the end of it's life while running a PR 2 rear. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, sounds like my love of the PP's are correct! :laugh:

I think I'm getting somewhere between 3100-3400 miles from a PP/PR 2 combo and replace them as a set. :goofy:

There is a slight funk with the front towards the end of it's life while running a PR 2 rear. :goofy:

BR, you mean you went from 2000 miles on set of PP's to that kind of mileage on the combo set?

For real? :beer:

Thanks guys, sounds like my love of the PP's are correct! :rolleyes:

I think I'm getting somewhere between 3100-3400 miles from a PP/PR 2 combo and replace them as a set. :fing02:

There is a slight funk with the front towards the end of it's life while running a PR 2 rear. :unsure:

BR, you mean you went from 2000 miles on set of PP's to that kind of mileage on the combo set?

For real? :blink:

Yeah, it's like at least a 50% increase in mileage w/o loss of grip or confidence for me! :cool:

I think cost is like 20% higher, but with 50% better mileage it's a no brainer. wink.gif

That's like two less rears every 10k miles!

• Member Contributer

I did switch back to a PP front just because I love a quick turn-in, and with this combo I replace them as a set PP/PR 2.

I ran a PP front / PR 2CT rear combo on a cross country trip back in August on my K1200S and LOVED the setup.

I did switch back to a PP front just because I love a quick turn-in, and with this combo I replace them as a set PP/PR 2.

I ran a PP front / PR 2CT rear combo on a cross country trip back in August on my K1200S and LOVED the setup.

:unsure:

I like'em! :rolleyes:

Archived