PRCT2'a

Bent

• Member Contributer

As much as I hate tire and oil threads, here goes....

New set of PRCT2's on my 6th gen. Been using Avon Storms for a long time and most of my riding is hard. For me, they handle great for an ST tire, have very good stick, and last reasonably well. I just wanted to try something for more mileage.

Put on the Michelins and they ride so soft at the same air pressure (36/42) that I get comparatively no road feed back feel, and they feel like a 1965 Cadillac floating down the road they ride so soft. These tires inspire absolutely no confidence with me in the high speed turns and twisties which is where I ride. As I have read, the front tire isn't a handling superstar. A look at the profile would tell me that. It's hard to get it to turn in, but once it does, it seems to fall in instantly, like all the sudden.

I have about 300 miles on these tires so maybe I just need to get used to them. They handle really poorly so far. I've read about some folks putting a PP on the front but really don't want to get into replacing two tires at once. Maybe I need to try that though. On every tire I've ever tried, no matter how sh-tty they handled, I could put the bike right where I wanted it in the lane one way or another. These tires are a challenge for me though.

I guess this is a FWIW comment or review.... :laugh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn Jim, those tires are junk! Who talked you into that! :goofy:

I think there a great tire! If you came off any quick turning tire like a P Power the Road 2 front will feel much slower to turn-in but there still quicker than any OEM tire. Just ride them.

Although it took me half a day to adjust to the slower turn-in than the last 30,000 miles I put on Pilot Powers, but once I adjusted I was able to push as fast or faster than I've ever pushed the VFR all day with the fast crazy group in the TN/GA/NC triangle. I had no confidence issues at all with them, wet or dry.

I did switch back to a PP front just because I love a quick turn-in, and with this combo I replace them as a set PP/PR 2.

If you really don't like them, I'll give you $50 for the set w/o even seeing them. Just have them here by tomorrow! :laugh:

Bent,

I've only ridden several sets of the ppower front and road 2 rear combo, I can say the road 2 rear is slower than ppower front. So I would assume adding the road 2 front would slow the package even more.

The road 2 vagueness increases as it gets older, but they get damn good life, you might try what I do run, like 44.5 psi in the rear .

Personally I'm sick of the road 2 rear , from a fall in postion, I want quicker, so i've gone back to a known quicker rear tire , that better blends with my Ppower front, but its 30% less life. I only paid $118 for it though so it works out cost wise.

• Member Contributer

I switched from Avon Storms (great tire - no complaints) to the Baileyrock Combo PR rear/PP front and the steering is fantastic. Can't say enough good things about them. Just surprised at the comments about the PR front.

Agree that the PR rear is slower than the PP front but I adjusted to that after the first day and really like the turn-in characteristic. JMO

• Member Contributer

If you really don't like them, I'll give you $50 for the set w/o even seeing them. Just have them here by tomorrow! :laugh:

You need new tires on that chair already???? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Wow, I've never had a complaint out of my PR2's. I ended up with a set of PP2CT's this time out of a shipping mistake and am running them now. I honestly don't really feel much difference in the handling. I know these won't last me the 11,000 my PR2's did though, so I'm definitely not going to be ordering another set of these. With the price being the same there's just not any reason I'd give up mileage for no gains. I'm with BR on this one, if you don't like em pass em along. I've ridden on a lot of sets from other manufacturers, and honestly I wish I had known about these when I had my gixxer cause that's what I would've been riding on. Not confidence inspiring? When I got the pic in my avatar I already had over 8,000 miles on my set of PR2's.

The PR2's to me are the best compromise of any tire that I have ever used. I had Battleaxes and as they wore down, they were all over the road. I had PP and they were sensational, but the tread life was dreadful. I got about 3000 miles from the rear. With the PR2's, I have 5500 miles on them, and I swear they look practically new. As has been mentioned, the front does take more effort to turn in that then PP. I wanted to go with the PP front PR2 rear, but the dealer wouldn't do it, so, like I said, I compromised. In the future, I will go to cycle gear, they will put whatever tire I wish, and the cost is about the same. Right now, I am guessing that I will get close to 10,000 miles fromt he back and maybe 15K from the front. So, for what I do, mostly commuting the flatlands of Florida and a few twisties, these tires are excellent. I will stick with them!

• Member Contributer

I've had three sets of tires on my VFR800VTEC and the PR2CT pair I have now are my favorite. While the front is slower steering than the Pirelli Diablo Strada I had on before, that front felt like a teeter-totter because of the profile, and then it was really all over the place once in a lean compared to these. The Strada was still a better rain tire though, although these are usable, I've had a few more "moments" with the PR2CT's in the rain.

That said, I may go with PR2CT's again when I need another set of tires. I like to experiment but if there's nothing really amazing out on the market in the next year or so, I'm sticking with what I've got now.

Sorry to hear the new tires aren't working out for you, Jim. sad.gif

I've never been 'married' to one brand/model of tire. I liked the Conti Road Attacks a lot, but have also enjoyed Pirelli Diablos for several thousand miles. I'll keep trying different tires b/c I like variety.

My existing rear (a Metzler Z6) is likely to show cords soon, tho it may be spring before I get enough riding in to kill that tire. I have a new PR2 rear waiting in the garage, as well as a couple sets of Diablos. Pretty sure I'm going to put the PR2 rear on first tho.

• Member Contributer

Would you all feel confident enough in the PR2s or Roadsmarts to leave them on for a track day?

Depends on what you are when it comes to track days. Novice, sure, why not. I've seen SEVERAL pics of bikes with PR2s on them...all street with taped lights. Anything faster then novice, i'd probably recommend a good sport tire or DOT Race.

Hobie,

I loved my powers, still my favorite. Although i haven't used them in the last 3 sets because they are so dang expensive compared to the Qualifiers, and BT016s that i can get. Although, these Bridgestones are giving the powers a good run for the money. Jury is still out on life as i'm balling them up like track take offs. So, not everyone is so loyal to his/her favorites.

Guys, the multi-compound Bridgestone BT016's released last year are incredible. I would say they are easily the equal of the Pilot Powers for cornering stickiness + x 2 in tire life due to the multi-compound. Very much worth investigating, and less expensive to boot. Very hard to go wrong with the 16's in the current economy, or any economy for that matter. Check 'em out, you will believe after a couple of canyon runs. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

New set of PRCT2's on my 6th gen. Been using Avon Storms for a long time and most of my riding is hard. For me, they handle great for an ST tire, have very good stick, and last reasonably well. I just wanted to try something for more mileage.

Put on the Michelins and they ride so soft at the same air pressure (36/42) that I get comparatively no road feed back feel, and they feel like a 1965 Cadillac floating down the road they ride so soft. These tires inspire absolutely no confidence with me in the high speed turns and twisties which is where I ride. As I have read, the front tire isn't a handling superstar. A look at the profile would tell me that. It's hard to get it to turn in, but once it does, it seems to fall in instantly, like all the sudden.

I have about 300 miles on these tires so maybe I just need to get used to them. They handle really poorly so far. I've read about some folks putting a PP on the front but really don't want to get into replacing two tires at once. Maybe I need to try that though. On every tire I've ever tried, no matter how sh-tty they handled, I could put the bike right where I wanted it in the lane one way or another. These tires are a challenge for me though.

I guess this is a FWIW comment or review.... :unsure:

I recently mounted a set of PR2ct on my 6th gen too. I agree with your statement of once they do turn in they are spot on. I do not agree with your assessment of the lack of confidence in turns. This semester I am teaching in a rural area southwest of Nashville (Dickson, TN) and on days I ride, I have found myself leaving a little early and taking the long way out through the county roads instead of the interstate (one of my students is the State Trooper in one county I ride). I like them!!! I feel the bike handles much better than with RoadSmarts.

• Member Contributer

Guys, the multi-compound Bridgestone BT016's released last year are incredible. I would say they are easily the equal of the Pilot Powers for cornering stickiness + x 2 in tire life due to the multi-compound. Very much worth investigating, and less expensive to boot. Very hard to go wrong with the 16's in the current economy, or any economy for that matter. Check 'em out, you will believe after a couple of canyon runs. :biggrin:

:goofy: :goofy:

But I'm a cheap bastige so when they ran the 021s on sale i got those. When they wear out back to the 16s

• Member Contributer

I guess this is a FWIW comment or review.... :biggrin:

I recently mounted a set of PR2ct on my 6th gen too. I agree with your statement of once they do turn in they are spot on. I do not agree with your assessment of the lack of confidence in turns. This semester I am teaching in a rural area southwest of Nashville (Dickson, TN) and on days I ride, I have found myself leaving a little early and taking the long way out through the county roads instead of the interstate (one of my students is the State Trooper in one county I ride). I like them!!! I feel the bike handles much better than with RoadSmarts.

It isn't a matter of agreeing on confidence in turns. I just said they don't give ME confidence. Everyone's experience with tires has to be different because everyone rides differently and comes from different tire experiences. I came from a tire I've been riding a long time that treated ME very well. Just wanted to try something different. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Damn Jim, those tires are junk! Who talked you into that! :goofy:

I think there a great tire! If you came off any quick turning tire like a P Power the Road 2 front will feel much slower to turn-in but there still quicker than any OEM tire. Just ride them.

Although it took me half a day to adjust to the slower turn-in than the last 30,000 miles I put on Pilot Powers, but once I adjusted I was able to push as fast or faster than I've ever pushed the VFR all day with the fast crazy group in the TN/GA/NC triangle. I had no confidence issues at all with them, wet or dry.

I did switch back to a PP front just because I love a quick turn-in, and with this combo I replace them as a set PP/PR 2.

If you really don't like them, I'll give you $50 for the set w/o even seeing them. Just have them here by tomorrow! :biggrin:

Yeah, but you're Baileyrockstar and I'm just Bent!! :goofy:

I'm just relating my feelings SO FAR (300 miles). I intend to wear the tires out and, knowing my experiences, I'll be OK with them before they wear out. I'm just very surprised at how little confidence they inspire in me, and the confidence curve I'm having to go thru, so far. I've ridden the crappiest tires in the world (old PR, Z6's, BT020) and found their limits pretty quick. I really haven't found the limit of the PR2CT's which is good. That said, I have ridden them just as hard with speeds in and coming out of turns as high or higher than what I was using. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll get over it... :goofy:

Oh, and BR. I'll have to have at least $75 and two days to get them to you. You think I'm nuts?? :goofy: Please don't answer that. :blink:

Thanks for the comments. I knew I'd get some differing thoughts... :wheel: :blush:

Maybe your just to old for Change! :goofy:

Hopefully they come around for you, if not just slap a PP on the front and you'll most likely be happier! :goofy:

I wouldn't mind trying some BS016's or 021's, can anyone tell me if they last longer than PP's they've used?

Never run a single Avon. :biggrin:

BR

• Member Contributer

How would you compare them to the good ole' BT021s? I'm about due and I've got about 8k on my 21s.

• Member Contributer

[quote name='Maddog Hoek' date='09 December 2009 - 09:30 AM'

How would you compare them to the good ole' BT021s? I'm about due and I've got about 8k on my 21s.

Wow, 8k? thats good, for me about 4800 on a rear and its toast, can squeeze 55-6000 or so on the front. If you like the 21's as much as I do you will LOVE the 16's. I just couldnt justify the cost/less mileage. At 3500 the rear was gone. They will make your bike feel completely different, very confidence inspiring :biggrin:

Looks like BS 016/021 combo can be had on ebay for $200 shipped right now, if i could ride and didn't have a PP/PR2 set sitting here I might pick up a set to try. :biggrin:

Guys, the multi-compound Bridgestone BT016's released last year are incredible. I would say they are easily the equal of the Pilot Powers for cornering stickiness + x 2 in tire life due to the multi-compound. Very much worth investigating, and less expensive to boot. Very hard to go wrong with the 16's in the current economy, or any economy for that matter. Check 'em out, you will believe after a couple of canyon runs. :fing02:

I ran the 016 front and rear all summer and the rear tire lasted 4.500 ml.The grip is better in the wet then the PP or th RR2cts.The fronts all ok but when they get to the end of the wear cycle the really drop off.

I'm go to run a PP front with a B016 rear,I had good feed back when I ran this combination earlier this year.

Tire choice really comes down to what type of riding you plan on doing,for tight mtn. roads of western NC the above works great,as price is a factor also.

The PR2 is a tire for cross country or straight interstate riding depends on your needs and size of your wallet.

Bent, you're gonna like what YOU like, I just want to say that the grip is there if you need it with the PR2's. I'm running the PP/PR2 combo right now. I put them on this year before TMAC, and you can ask Bailey how well he saw my back tire sticking! :fing02: Oh wait, he can't remember! :goofy: :ph34r:

Bent, are you going to be selling a set of tires in the future? Im kinda looking for a set for the VFR/CBR bike that Nick has....we just can't afford to pay even attention lately. :fing02: Those original Pilot Road tires are really slick ( no traction to speak of ).

• Member Contributer

Maybe your just to old for Change! :goofy:

Hopefully they come around for you, if not just slap a PP on the front and you'll most likely be happier! :ph34r:

I wouldn't mind trying some BS016's or 021's, can anyone tell me if they last longer than PP's they've used?

Never run a single Avon. :fing02:

BR

Careful now,BaileyRockstar. I'll put you in a wheelchair if yur not careful. Sorry, that was a cheap shot...but then, I'm cheap... :laugh:

I do have good news to report, however. I took off today and just as I was getting ready to ride off, Lil Sis calls and wants to meet half-way and eat lunch at the Bell Buckle Cafe (yummy). I said OK but knew I would have to hot foot it over there pretty quick thru the twisties to get there at a reasonable time. Sooo, I upped my Pace a lot but within my capabilities, and found out THEY"RE GOING TO WORK FOR ME!!!!

After wicking it up significantly, I just found that, for me, I will have to use more body weight transfer in the turns as well as more input than I'm used to. I know how to do it but my ole standby tires just handle better and didn't require that much. The new tires have no chicken strip on the rear and about a quarter inch on the front, so they're sticking good. Hopefully these will last longer.

The bad news.....It rained torrentially last night around here. Farmer's fields turned into lakes out of town. After riding through one too many "water over the road" spots, I had to turnaround and cancel the trip. Didn't get the "vitals" of the bike wet but it was getting treacherous. I rode the hell out of the bike back and it was fine as well as the tires. Just a learning curve to deal with on the tires which I conquered.

Kev, stay far away from BT021's!!! They handle good when new and stick good when new. BUT, about a third of the way into the wear cycle, the handling gets really sh-tty and the front tire wears very quickly. Neither tire lasts long enough either. Only for a friend would I give that heads up.... :goofy: They should be cheap.

Oh, and Kevin. I'm faster than you....at least for now..... :laugh: tongue.gif

Archived