2010 Summer Pnw/canada Meet

choco

We did 3900 miles 2 up last year to the Summer Summit... You can do it.. Just spread it over 3 days to get there...

No ... they did 3900 miles last year .. with some crazy lady hanging on off the back taking pictures ... at speed ... and laid over in big sweepers.

Yah, you really have to make the trip, eh!

Looking forward to seeing all again! E-Ticket

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Depending on how it goes with my VF750 project, there is a slight chance I might join. I'd say it is 50/50 at this point (the first 50 representing the "I'm going"). I just google the mileage it is descent. Lets hope the engine can roar today and then will see. . .

• Member Contributer

Depending on how it goes with my VF750 project, there is a slight chance I might join. I'd say it is 50/50 at this point (the first 50 representing the "I'm going"). I just google the mileage it is descent. Lets hope the engine can roar today and then will see. . .

I'll raise ya and go 70/30! Work your magic and bring that project down. You've been bench sitting for too long now.

• Member Contributer

Only 30 minutes away i can help raise the number to 75/25 as i have a big hammer and willing to bring late night berrsicles to get it finished.....

I haven't been around here too much lately - absolutely swamped with work - but there will be at least one KLR attending... there goes he neighbourhood!

Should be booking the hotel in the next day or two.

See you all there.

Hey Thumper,

I don't know if you checked out the links I put up about his area, but here's a couple of books that might interest you and your Kawi dual sport.

I bought the first book for my brother and his GS, he's taken some good dual sport rides using it as a guide.

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=179&id=1301

This book pertains to the Columbia Gorge area in particular and is broken up into two sections, pavement and dirt. This might be the one to get if you're looking for dirt roads in the Troutdale area.

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=800&theParentId=186

It's only a few hours from Fraser Valley to my place, stay over, enjoy a BBQ and we can all ride down on Tuesday morning, I'll be happy to serve as guide on the roads I know pretty well. We will ride through the Snoqualamie Valley, down 18, then 169 to Enumclaw, then 410 around Rainier, then the Pack to Randle, south along a very twisty road on the eastside of Mt. St. Helens, a side trip to Windy Ridge on Mt St Helens and off to Troutdale. Easy day, spectacular scenery. Hope for great weather.

• Member Contributer

Stephane, if it helps I have lots of room on the KLR for tools and bits and pieces - part of the KLR 'touring package' :fing02: Hope you can make it - it has been a long time since we swapped lies!

I haven't been around here too much lately - absolutely swamped with work - but there will be at least one KLR attending... there goes he neighbourhood!

Should be booking the hotel in the next day or two.

See you all there.

Hey Thumper,

I don't know if you checked out the links I put up about his area, but here's a couple of books that might interest you and your Kawi dual sport.

I bought the first book for my brother and his GS, he's taken some good dual sport rides using it as a guide.

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=179&id=1301

This book pertains to the Columbia Gorge area in particular and is broken up into two sections, pavement and dirt. This might be the one to get if you're looking for dirt roads in the Troutdale area.

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=800&theParentId=186

Thanks Lee - I will look into these.

On a side note, the other KLR hooligan (Bjorn) may not be able to make it. Some low-life crackhead stole his beat up, filthy fully ghetto-ized KLR yesterday. How bad and messed up is your life when you steal that POS! I can imagine the hopped up crackhead trying to sell the KLR and the best offer he will get is a 6 pack of beer - maybe?

Oh well, but not sure if he will have another bike before the ride.

• Member Contributer

The odds are getting better, the engine is running and smoothly as well. A bit of smoke at the beginning, but otherwise fine. Tomorrow, paint scraping and painting. So what's left? Fork seals, and the calipers are "sticky". New odds: 60/40

If I go, yes, my best friends are gonna bear tools. But one step at the time.

That sucks! I hope he can get things together before it's time to go.

I was really looking forward to riding with both of you gents again.

Fingers crossed….

On a side note, the other KLR hooligan (Bjorn) may not be able to make it. Some low-life crackhead stole his beat up, filthy fully ghetto-ized KLR yesterday. How bad and messed up is your life when you steal that POS! I can imagine the hopped up crackhead trying to sell the KLR and the best offer he will get is a 6 pack of beer - maybe?

Oh well, but not sure if he will have another bike before the ride.

• Member Contributer

That sucks! I hope he can get things together before it's time to go.

I was really looking forward to riding with both of you gents again.

Fingers crossed….

Mike, we are meeting tomorrow evening for a brew or two to discuss options - I will let you know what we come up with. Bjorn's intention is to figure out a way to join us.

• Member Contributer
On a side note, the other KLR hooligan (Bjorn) may not be able to make it. Some low-life crackhead stole his beat up, filthy fully ghetto-ized KLR yesterday. How bad and messed up is your life when you steal that POS! I can imagine the hopped up crackhead trying to sell the KLR and the best offer he will get is a 6 pack of beer - maybe? Oh well, but not sure if he will have another bike before the ride.

Damn, that hurts! I hope something can be worked out.

Many thanks to Didit and Choco for lifting most of the burden of the shirts and logo off me. Sorry, but there is just too much in life right now and some things are getting dropped. It's nice to have VFRD friends that will pick up the slack for us. I owe you two beers for sure!

And a Great Job on the logo and T, too! I've never posted the logo in my signature before a meet, but at least I can get that done.

Jalene and I intend on making at least some of the meet, but it's likely to be later in the week. I know that I have the Friday off, at least, but can't count on much more than that. And we should be free for the weekends before and after - our house is always open for VFRD visitors coming down the coast.

Many thanks to Didit and Choco for lifting most of the burden of the shirts and logo off me. Sorry, but there is just too much in life right now and some things are getting dropped. It's nice to have VFRD friends that will pick up the slack for us. I owe you two beers for sure!

Understood, responsibilities sometimes get in the way of fun. Now to clarify what you meant by "I owe you two beers." Did you mean you owe me two beers or you owe the two of us a beer each or you owe the two of us two beers each? Just trying to get my :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: in a row. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

So, I just realized that thanks to work changing the days I would be allowed to take time off and how much of it and such. . . I'll be riding from the bay area in Cali up to the South Sound parts of Washington around the same time that you will all be playing around in Oregon. . . sounds like I may have to get some contact info and join up at least briefly. I'm sure I could be a day late getting up to Washington and no one would really notice. . .

So, I just realized that thanks to work changing the days I would be allowed to take time off and how much of it and such. . . I'll be riding from the bay area in Cali up to the South Sound parts of Washington around the same time that you will all be playing around in Oregon. . . sounds like I may have to get some contact info and join up at least briefly. I'm sure I could be a day late getting up to Washington and no one would really notice. . .

Yes, try to stop by and meet everybody and check out the Hotel and maybe take in a ride. If you want a T-shirt get your order in NOW. Shirts have their own thread (no pun intended).

• Member Contributer

Man, this is killing me reading this thread.

This is the only week I can get away camping with both the wife and son this summer and we're going to be doing some gulf islands and long beach.... but no MC. Wife didn't seem too receptive to me changing plans.

BC

• Member Contributer

This is the only week I can get away camping with both the wife and son this summer and we're going to be doing some gulf islands and long beach.... but no MC. Wife didn't seem too receptive to me changing plans.

BC

In the end, you'll do the thing that is right for you.

There will always be more rides in the future, but only one 2010 VFRD PNW meet. There was only one in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. I'm sure there'll only be one in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 . . . . .

2012, well that holds something all together different :biggrin:

Question:

I have a riding buddy here in the Portland area. who rides a Connie, knows the roads *very* well, is "quite quick" ... and is willing to help play ride-leader/sweep on the Wednesday and Thursday rides.

Is it okay to include him on this ride/planning? He is also retired and has *some* time on his hands. <grin>

Cheers! E-Ticket

• Member Contributer

BC

In the end, you'll do the thing that is right for you.

There will always be more rides in the future, but only one 2010 VFRD PNW meet. There was only one in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. I'm sure there'll only be one in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 . . . . .

2012, well that holds something all together different :laughing6-hehe:

No, really, I'm actually not kidding.

Re: the 2012 ride, is it before or after the... CUTOFF... date of which I assume you're talking?

Question:

I have a riding buddy here in the Portland area. who rides a Connie, knows the roads *very* well, is "quite quick" ... and is willing to help play ride-leader/sweep on the Wednesday and Thursday rides.

Is it okay to include him on this ride/planning? He is also retired and has *some* time on his hands. <grin>

Cheers! E-Ticket

I don't see why not, we've other had bikes in our group before. We need leaders and sweeps.

Question:

Cheers! E-Ticket

I don't see why not, we've other had bikes in our group before. We need leaders and sweeps.

Thanks, Lee! Film at 11:00 ....

• Member Contributer

Understood, responsibilities sometimes get in the way of fun. Now to clarify what you meant by "I owe you two beers." Did you mean you owe me two beers or you owe the two of us a beer each or you owe the two of us two beers each? Just trying to get my :fing02: :fing02: :blink: :beer: in a row. :blush:

Ummm, you may have to come down here in the end to get those beers. It's now looking so grim and doubtful about Mr. & Mrs. keithbob making the meet that we've cancelled our reservations at Edgefield, and simply hope that we can break away for the Friday to ride up there, maybe showing up Thursday nite.

Of course, anyone that wants to come through Newport before or after will have a camping spot in our backyard, and a willing local guide to Coast Range roads.

I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing. :mad:

Understood, responsibilities sometimes get in the way of fun. Now to clarify what you meant by "I owe you two beers." Did you mean you owe me two beers or you owe the two of us a beer each or you owe the two of us two beers each? Just trying to get my :lobby: :blush: :491: :fing02: in a row. :wheel:

Ummm, you may have to come down here in the end to get those beers. It's now looking so grim and doubtful about Mr. & Mrs. keithbob making the meet that we've cancelled our reservations at Edgefield, and simply hope that we can break away for the Friday to ride up there, maybe showing up Thursday nite.

Of course, anyone that wants to come through Newport before or after will have a camping spot in our backyard, and a willing local guide to Coast Range roads.

I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing. :angry:

That sucks, Keith. But hey! Don't give up hope yet. Who knows maybe you will win Powerball and can come for the entire week, eh! :^)

Meet here at the Loading Dock Grill Tuesday night August 17 from 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm. This is the large patio under the water tower.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/617-edgefield-loading-dock-grill

We will distribute shirts and collect money for Tony (Didit) as he has been kind enough to take on the graphics duties and pay for the shirts and screening up front. Please bring cash and honor your commitment to buy the shirts. At this time we have not received a firm quote on the screening costs. Stay tuned. We are getting $100 donation from St. John's Honda to go toward offsetting the shirts.

We will discuss rides and routes, assign leaders and sweeps over beer and food. If the weather is not so nice, we will try to meet inside the Power Station Pub adjacent to the Loading Dock Grill.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/468-power-station-pub-home

Tentatively, we will meet in the same place Wednesday evening to talk about our rides and hand out door prizes. We will also talk about Thursday's rides and assign leaders and sweeps once again.

If you haven't ordered your shirts, today is deadline, go to the T-shirt thread and put in your order. Ok then. . . . .

Food and Drink Menus

Loading Dock Grill Menu http://www.mcmenamins.com/system/uploads/assets/Edgefield/PDFs/LoadingDock09.pdf

Power Station Menu: http://www.mcmenamins.com/system/uploads/assets/Menu%20PDFs/PowerStation.pdf

Black Rabbit (The Main Hotel Restaraunt) http://www.mcmenamins.com/131-black-rabbit-restaurant-home

FYI: For those who don't already know - the deadline for ordering T-Shirts has passed - and is now closed.

Some questions:

== What's the final cost for the t-shirts?

== Is a personal check okay?

== Or do you (Tony) prefer exact change?

== Are there any other event costs that we need to be aware of? Or chipping in for?

I was starting to day-dream back on last's year Summer Summit and came across this pic heading up to the top of Mt. Evans.

Which made me smile and started getting me pumped for *this* summer's hoo-haw at the PNW.

Cheers! E-Ticket

IMG_3634.jpg

Archived