2010 Summer Pnw/canada Meet

choco

Pacific Northwest and Canada event is scheduled for August 17-19 2010.

EdgefieldBreweryTroutdaleOregonPNWV.jpg

Place: Edgefield Brewpub/Hotel in Troutdale, Oregon, about 20 miles east of Portland.

Tentative schedule:

Sunday, August 15, evening, for Canadians and others in the area, meet at my house in Duvall if you don't mind tenting in the backyard. Big fire pit and BBQ at your disposal. I will start tenderizing the meat: :blush:

Monday August 16, ditto, rides around my valley, Boeing plant, brew pubs, etc. You can use my place as a base to explore the region as you like.

Tuesday August 17, heading down to Edgefield/Troutdale/Columbia River Gorge via Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens.

Wednesday: August 18, group rides, to be determined later.

Thursday: August 19, ditto

Friday, August 20, go home!

We've had several VFRD members who live in the area and are familiar with the roads and possible routes. I would like to see some people come forth and volunteer to lead rides and sweep. Please indicate the route you like the best by inserting a map with the route. Thank you all for helping!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some teasers of the Hotel and complex. If you've never been here you will be surprised.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3

Some area attractions: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2141/stories/47046

Book of Columbia River Gorge Motorcycle Routes: http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?f...=179&id=800

From my room, a festive place

SummerSummit09Meet592-1.jpg

Scenic Highway 30 near McMenamins

SummerSummit09Meet585.jpg

In addition to McMenamins, there are 16 rooms reserved under VFRD at nearby Best Western. http://www.bestwesternoregon.com/hotels/best-western-cascade-inn-and-suites/

• Member Contributer

Choco, good to hear that the wheels are in motion!

Ever since talking in Nelson about the McMennamins, I've been wanting to head across the border. And the destination in Portland sounds perfect! I am not too familiar with Washington/Oregon but the Mt.Hood area has some nice roads, I hear.

I've been to a McMennamins in Oregon somewhere years ago and would definitely head down again. Can't wait!

Cheers,

Sparrow

• Member Contributer

First Kudos for taking this on, second my first piece of advice, pic your dates as soon as posssible, it's surprising how many people need to book holidays a good year in advance.

• Member Contributer
First Kudos for taking this on, second my first piece of advice, pic your dates as soon as posssible, it's surprising how many people need to book holidays a good year in advance.

^^^ What he said. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Right On,

Buy that Man a :blush: Most Excellent! I will buy you the first couple, Since I missed the Kootenay... & the Summit. I couldn't show my avatar here if I missed another meet close to home. Thanks for planning the next pnw meet!

Looking forward to adding another tag to my signature

Gary

• Member Contributer

Interesting... Can't commit yet, but I'll consider it. Maybe in conjunction with the renamed Treadlock Run (Nelson, BC) that would be a good riding summer for me. Veeeeeery interesting.

C

PS Gives me almost one year to "work on convincing" the spouse to come .... any ideas for miracle methods, short of CIA methods, are welcome. :blush:

I live about 1.5 miles from Edgefield. There are days worth of roads to ride in this area. We touched on some 2 years ago but many more can be found if anyone is worried about repeating routes. I'm full of suggestions so don't hesitate to ask away.

• Member Contributer

NICE!! BAd luck has made me miss the past 2 summer meets as well. I cant miss this one its 5 blocks from my house. These are our local roads so any help I can be I am willing. George

• Member Contributer

Cool, and ditton on setting the dates as soon as possible. With my schedule I usually have to trade dates with another deputy to ge them off unless I schedule way in advance. I do think most of us would be good to have a date by the end of the year though.

George

• Member Contributer
Keith and Tim are helping me work out routes.... I'll have to start working on the dates and other details, but just letting everyone know the next PNW/Canada meet is in the planning stages . .

Go Choco!

There are three main areas that can be ridden - To the north, the Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Adams area (fast and tight, great volcano scenery), to the southeast, the roads around Condon/Mitchell/Antelope (very fast and open, more great scenery in the high desert), and to the west, the Vernonia region which is a terrific mix of roads with little traffic through the woods. A ride out to the ocean at Astoria for those who wish a laid-back sightseeing ride would be super, and the Columbia River Gorge is an impressive tour.

And I'd love nothing more than to lead an extended ride afterwards for those that want to carve up some incredible Coast Range curlies.

I'd suggest we keep with our traditional 3rd week(end) of August like we have for years now.

Keith

• Member Contributer

wow,you don't wast any time. haven't even made it back from this yrs event LOL.

chocco you know I'm in ,similar dates would be good

I'll call today and try to book for Wed-Fri nights during the third week in August. I'll post as soon as confirmed. I like the early responses and appreciate the offers to help, will take you all up on it.

So the week that matches the requests is August 18, 19, 20, 2010. Unfortunately, the 20th date is all booked up for a wedding. So I booked a block of 15 rooms for the 17th, Tuesday, 18th, Wednesday, 19th Thursday. These are single queen bed European style, with sinks but not bathrooms or TVs, with very clean and spacious bathrooms in the hall. I've stayed in these Hotels now four different times, three different Hotels, Hotel Oregon, Grand Lodge and Edgefield twice, and found the arrangement is just fine. The rooms have names of local historical figures as well as numbers, have some history and whimsical art, high ceilings, antique furniture and they provide bathrobes for traipsing down to the washrooms.

These block single queen rooms are currently going for $60 per night.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=3&id=106 These are the options, tab right or left arrows, from bathroom suites, double queens, to single queens to men's hostel, (cheapest). Take a look.

I've already booked a single queen room outside the block so as to keep the 15 open. The contact person is Colleen and the events number is 877-492-2777. The block event is called "VFRD"

If anyone has to have a bathroom in their room you should call as soon as possible to ascertain the availabilty, if not then you will have to find another Hotel nearby in Troutdale.

The Hotel has plenty of banquet and meeting rooms, but they cost extra so we can decide to book one or just meet outside the Powerhouse in the patio area under the water tower where we can slosh our beer!

• Member Contributer

Jalene and I are booked. It's a cool place!

Choco/Cassandtim/Magellan et al - let's meet up as soon as practical for planning and reconnoitering.

Please PM with contact info.

Archived