2010 Summer Pnw/canada Meet

choco

• Member Contributer

Rob, when you thinking of heading out? I have a wedding I have to attend on Sat. 14th so I was thinking if I go I'll leave on Sunday the 15th and head through Crowsnest pass, through Creston and then head into the U.S. near Salmo and work my way down from there. Just thought if you wanted a change from the #1.

Paul.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the wife asked me a few days ago when my motorcycle trip would be. After I pinched myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming, I let her know it would most likely be in August....now to start planning! I am looking forward to seeing many of you again, and meeting those I didn't get to meet in Dillon.

Count me in for a "probably so", can't commit until it gets a lot closer. Heck, I don't even know if the bike will run after 3 months being down for a valve job...

Unfortunately, I vacation plans are so booked I don't think I will have the time needed for this long of a trip.

Rob, when you thinking of heading out? I have a wedding I have to attend on Sat. 14th so I was thinking if I go I'll leave on Sunday the 15th and head through Crowsnest pass, through Creston and then head into the U.S. near Salmo and work my way down from there. Just thought if you wanted a change from the #1.

Paul.

Welp, it's still way up in the air, but I'm off work from the 13th to the 26th, although the 12th is a nightshift, so I'll have to see if I can trade somebody so I don't have to work all night, then leave on a bike trip that morning. :unsure: :schla15:

If I can get the night of the 12th off, I would be leaving the 13th, likely heading to Red Deer on Day 1 to visit my sister (and get a free place to crash), then leaving from Red Deer on the 14th.

But who knows, things will almost certainly change to some degree, so......

Hopefully my buddy Craig will be able to make it, I gave him the heads-up for planning, and if the stars align, we'll be off.

If not, I'll be shopping for a roomie to split costs. :comp13:

And the routes I posted are totally preliminary, and just based on a quick scan of the terrain feature and Nat'l parks thru Google maps. By no means fixed in stone.

• Member Contributer

Paul.

Welp, it's still way up in the air, but I'm off work from the 13th to the 26th, although the 12th is a nightshift, so I'll have to see if I can trade somebody so I don't have to work all night, then leave on a bike trip that morning. :unsure: :schla15:

If I can get the night of the 12th off, I would be leaving the 13th, likely heading to Red Deer on Day 1 to visit my sister (and get a free place to crash), then leaving from Red Deer on the 14th.

Hopefully my buddy Craig will be able to make it, I gave him the heads-up for planning, and if the stars align, we'll be off.

And the routes I posted are totally preliminary, and just based on a quick scan of the terrain feature and Nat'l parks thru Google maps. By no means fixed in stone.

Sounds good Rob, if it doesn't work out with Craig let me know as I'll also be looking for a roomie to split the costs with.

Paul.

Sounds good Rob, if it doesn't work out with Craig let me know as I'll also be looking for a roomie to split the costs with.

Hey Guys if I can make this trip we should head out together.I could meet you Rob as you drive by. I will be looking for a roomie as well but first have to wait and see if I will make the trip.

• Member Contributer

Good to hear from you Dean, I hope you can make it.

I was thinking something like this for a route.

Never mind I seem to be having trouble embedding the Google map I just made. sad.gif

Never mind I seem to be having trouble embedding the Google map I just made. sad.gif

Paul, copy the map code and paste it inbetween (map)(/map) but using square brackets instead.

Don't use the EMBED code, use the one above, it's labelled as being for "Email and IM".

• Member Contributer

Paul, copy the map code and paste it inbetween (map)(/map) but using square brackets instead.

Don't use the EMBED code, use the one above, it's labelled as being for "Email and IM".

OK Rob Thanks, here goes.

Full Size

So if that worked, something like that.

smile.gif woohoo it worked. Thanks again Rob.

OK Rob Thanks, here goes.

So if that worked, something like that.

smile.gif woohoo it worked. Thanks again Rob.

Hate to be a Nosy Parker, but from what I remember, Hwy 97 is a real trucker road, straight flat and boring, low speed limit, lots of County Mounties, lots of traffic.

(Although I haven't been down that exact road in a while, maybe some locals could chime in and jog my memory.)

http://washingtonhighways.blogspot.com/2009/12/washington-state-route-97.html

I would avoid it at all costs.

I swap back and forth between the "map", "satellite" and "terrain" features in google maps to find the less boring backroads.

Your route is 1469km, may I propose this modified one which is only 49 km further:

Full Size

Anybody mind if I join ya with my British triple?

I'm still a VFR lover at heart and I miss ridin' with this group. Gary, Keith, Tim and others...yes even George tongue.gif

It's been a while since I logged on here. I'm glad to see the yearly group gatherings are still going on. I look forward to seeing you all again!

• Member Contributer

Anybody mind if I join ya with my British triple?

I'm still a VFR lover at heart and I miss ridin' with this group. Gary, Keith, Tim and others...yes even George tongue.gif

With our two bikes we could combine to make a 4 cyl bike smile.gif. I will get another VFR one day soon, but it will be a used one ~ not the 1200 pug-nosed porker. Still hoping to make this get together...

• Member Contributer

Sure hoping to make this - just have to confirm summer dates for family stuff and all.

Rob, I like your route through Nelson on the way and back up the coast and through Jasper on the return - great mix of roads and scenery.

• Member Contributer

after looking at all your guys routes and planning and choices im a bit upset that im so close to the event.. Darn i could be there in like 5-6 hours unless i get lost looking for fun smile.gif..

• Member Contributer

after looking at all your guys routes and planning and choices im a bit upset that im so close to the event.. Darn i could be there in like 5-6 hours unless i get lost looking for fun smile.gif..

theres more than a few back roads to get down there from where we are :rolleyes: u can bypass I5 all together.

• Member Contributer

Ditto Axel, the timing just isn't working out for me either... sad.gif

• Member Contributer

I'll be coming for sure. Booking rooms at the Best Western. Taking 2 weeks and a wide angle route down and back.

Leaving Okanagan for Kootenays, then crossing the line to lake cabin. 3 days of touring towards Newport, OR.

Arriving at the meet Tues - Departing following Fri.

Maps yet to be made, but you can count on 4 Canucks showing up.

Later Gaters!

• Member Contributer

Well there will be a few side trips for sure.. but i will probably slab it till Monroe they start lookin for fun side trips... Or maybe doing the coast down and inland back.... HUMMMMMMMMM

Looks like the event is shaping up nicely!

Cassie and I will definitely plan on being there (or here, whichever the case may be!).

We've been busy with relocating to Wenatchee WA since the fall. We will have the house in Vancouver WA on the market next week.

I can offer a place to stay in Wenatchee (certain) and Vancouver (not so certain) for weary travellers if we still have both places.

Choco, give me a shout if you still need any help organizing this meet.

Cheers,

-T

• Member Contributer

Just booked 3 rooms at the BestWestern in Troutdale for Aug. 17-20th (Tue-Fri checkout).

3 or 4 of us will be traveling down via Stevens County, WA to who knows where until Troutdale on the Tuesday.

Confirmed from here so far are:

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

• Member Contributer

Just booked 3 rooms at the BestWestern in Troutdale for Aug. 17-20th (Tue-Fri checkout).

3 or 4 of us will be traveling down via Stevens County, WA to who knows where until Troutdale on the Tuesday.

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

Hey Tony, would be great to ride down with you guys still workin on it. the last time i rode with you is still very fresh in the bosses mind. had my leash shortened this yr and a much stricter time frame :biggrin:

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

Hey Tony, would be great to ride down with you guys still workin on it. the last time i rode with you is still very fresh in the bosses mind. had my leash shortened this yr and a much stricter time frame :rolleyes:

There's a lot of time to work on her, Jeff. My bro and I just rode up to North Creek Brew pub :fing02: on the Mt. Baker highway yesterday, then went to Archer's Ale house in Fairhaven, :rolleyes: just south of Bellingham, then south along Chuckanut. Got home in time to see the hockey game, Canada lost, that sucks. Maybe they will get them in the finals. I'm dual citizen, but when it comes to hockey, I'm Canadian all they way. Canada is beating the USA in curling now, that's some consolation, but the game isn't over.

Archived