2010 Summer Pnw/canada Meet

choco

• Member Contributer

Just booked 3 rooms at the BestWestern in Troutdale for Aug. 17-20th (Tue-Fri checkout).

3 or 4 of us will be traveling down via Stevens County, WA to who knows where until Troutdale on the Tuesday.

Confirmed from here so far are:

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

Hey Tony, would be great to ride down with you guys still workin on it. the last time i rode with you is still very fresh in the bosses mind. had my leash shortened this yr and a much stricter time frame :fing02:

There's a lot of time to work on her, Jeff. My bro and I just rode up to North Creek Brew pub :comp13: on the Mt. Baker highway yesterday, then went to Archer's Ale house in Fairhaven, :biggrin: just south of Bellingham, then south along Chuckanut. Got home in time to see the hockey game, Canada lost, that sucks. Maybe they will get them in the finals. I'm dual citizen, but when it comes to hockey, I'm Canadian all they way. Canada is beating the USA in curling now, that's some consolation, but the game isn't over.

hey Lee we must of crossed paths on sun, was out riding that way as well we ended up stopping at small pub in stanwood "leather hats" an old converted fire hall. IPA didn't disappoint i sure wished we could get some decent Ipa up here. took a little boot around camano island not the best rds but lots of fun rds to get there. unfortunately mosquito lake rd is still closed just off of mnt baker hwy. with the Olympics, boarder lineups have been almost nonexistent. cant figure that one out. will be a real blow if canada doesn't take hockey gold, oh well. heres a snap shot of rout

post-11011-126690876559_thumb.jpg

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just booked 3 rooms at the BestWestern in Troutdale for Aug. 17-20th (Tue-Fri checkout).

3 or 4 of us will be traveling down via Stevens County, WA to who knows where until Troutdale on the Tuesday.

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

Hey Tony, would be great to ride down with you guys still workin on it. the last time i rode with you is still very fresh in the bosses mind. had my leash shortened this yr and a much stricter time frame :wheel:

There's a lot of time to work on her, Jeff. My bro and I just rode up to North Creek Brew pub :goofy: on the Mt. Baker highway yesterday, then went to Archer's Ale house in Fairhaven, :blink: just south of Bellingham, then south along Chuckanut. Got home in time to see the hockey game, Canada lost, that sucks. Maybe they will get them in the finals. I'm dual citizen, but when it comes to hockey, I'm Canadian all they way. Canada is beating the USA in curling now, that's some consolation, but the game isn't over.

hey Lee we must of crossed paths on sun, was out riding that way as well we ended up stopping at small pub in stanwood "leather hats" an old converted fire hall. IPA didn't disappoint i sure wished we could get some decent Ipa up here. took a little boot around camano island not the best rds but lots of fun rds to get there. unfortunately mosquito lake rd is still closed just off of mnt baker hwy. with the Olympics, boarder lineups have been almost nonexistent. cant figure that one out. will be a real blow if canada doesn't take hockey gold, oh well. heres a snap shot of rout

I can't believe we didn't hook up on Sunday, that would have been fun. I rode about 230 miles on Sunday and the next day I rode over to Port Townsend, via Mulkiteo ferry to Whidbey Island then to Keystone ferry to Port Townsend. I was sitting in the Water Street brew pub and look out at my bike and noticed the bare cords showing through the back tire. I backtracked home and have now orderd some Pirelli Angel Sts. These are the same tires that I had on well before my trip to Dillon so am still very pleased with the Diablo Stradas.

Stay in touch and let me know the next time you are thinking about heading south across the border and we can meet up somewhere.

Is it too far to walk to the Motel 6 on the other side of the train tracks from McMenamins?

Googlemaps says 1.9 miles to get there by walking. Where are the meet dinners and beer drinking to take place?

This may be the end of a longer trip so I'm trying to save a bit of dough on hotel rooms.

mike

• Member Contributer

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

Hey Tony, would be great to ride down with you guys still workin on it. the last time i rode with you is still very fresh in the bosses mind. had my leash shortened this yr and a much stricter time frame :blush:

There's a lot of time to work on her, Jeff. My bro and I just rode up to North Creek Brew pub :fing02: on the Mt. Baker highway yesterday, then went to Archer's Ale house in Fairhaven, :goofy: just south of Bellingham, then south along Chuckanut. Got home in time to see the hockey game, Canada lost, that sucks. Maybe they will get them in the finals. I'm dual citizen, but when it comes to hockey, I'm Canadian all they way. Canada is beating the USA in curling now, that's some consolation, but the game isn't over.

I can't believe we didn't hook up on Sunday, that would have been fun. I rode about 230 miles on Sunday and the next day I rode over to Port Townsend, via Mulkiteo ferry to Whidbey Island then to Keystone ferry to Port Townsend. I was sitting in the Water Street brew pub and look out at my bike and noticed the bare cords showing through the back tire. I backtracked home and have now orderd some Pirelli Angel Sts. These are the same tires that I had on well before my trip to Dillon so am still very pleased with the Diablo Stradas.

Stay in touch and let me know the next time you are thinking about heading south across the border and we can meet up somewhere.

port Townsend is neat little town been there many times. for sure we have to hook up soon whenever i get a chance i prefer to head south. sorry about the hockey gold EH...oh wait... im not sorry he he :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

radar

CVVFR

didit

179 Days until!

+1 Just booked a room at the same Best Western for Jeff (jfviffer) and myself, same times of course. Whoo Hoo, looking forward to this ride now.

see you all there.

Tyke.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it too far to walk to the Motel 6 on the other side of the train tracks from McMenamins?

Googlemaps says 1.9 miles to get there by walking. Where are the meet dinners and beer drinking to take place?

This may be the end of a longer trip so I'm trying to save a bit of dough on hotel rooms.

mike

Rooms at McMenamins are reasonable, $65 or so, check out their website I posted it here somewhere. This is a brewpub/hotel/winery bars, etc. we will do most of our drinking at McMenamins. Really check out their website. I strongly suggest you try to stay there.

• Member Contributer

I will arrange a designated driver with a cage to shuttle people around via cage in the event any of you are intoxicated!!

THE MOTEL 6 IS GHETTO

Haha. Point noted!

I thought McM's was full. I'll set something up this weekend then.

Looking forward to this summer's ride.

I will arrange a designated driver with a cage to shuttle people around via cage in the event any of you are intoxicated!!

THE MOTEL 6 IS GHETTO

sorry about the hockey gold EH...oh wait... im not sorry he he :biggrin:

We watched the game at the Attic pub near the UW district. The owners are Canadian so we felt we would be in good company. The place was packed, about 1/3 rooting for Canada and the rest for US. We made a lot of noise, but when US scored with 24 seconds left the place was deafening. Crosby helped us get our swagger back in OT, however. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :warranty: :goofy: :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

mike

Rooms at McMenamins are reasonable, $65 or so, check out their website I posted it here somewhere. This is a brewpub/hotel/winery bars, etc. we will do most of our drinking at McMenamins. Really check out their website. I strongly suggest you try to stay there.

Just a question, not meant to offend anyone at all...Are there many (any) members making this trip that are non-drinkers? If so, what other night time attractions are worthwhile? I'm not a religous zealot or a prude, I just don't drink, but like to have fun! bliss.gif

Steve

My experience thus far with this lot of riders is they are all pretty reasonable and there hasn't been any real binge drinking.

It's pretty good company and hanging and just eating snacks, playing pool or darts, whatever - we have always had a great time.

No alcohol required.

mike

Just a question, not meant to offend anyone at all...Are there many (any) members making this trip that are non-drinkers? If so, what other night time attractions are worthwhile? I'm not a religous zealot or a prude, I just don't drink, but like to have fun! bliss.gif

Steve

• Member Contributer

Great to hear that. I don't have a moral conviction against drinking and/or drinkers, it's just that at a certain point in the evening, with certain groups of drinkers (hard drinkers usually) as a non-drinker I just reach a point of non-tolerance. Good to hear this group in serious about their riding and not so much their getting wasted. This trip sounds like a great time. My gf and me are taking a trip to Cannon Beach via Troutdale over July 4th, so I'll get to scope out the area.

Great to hear that. I don't have a moral conviction against drinking and/or drinkers, it's just that at a certain point in the evening, with certain groups of drinkers (hard drinkers usually) as a non-drinker I just reach a point of non-tolerance. Good to hear this group in serious about their riding and not so much their getting wasted. This trip sounds like a great time. My gf and me are taking a trip to Cannon Beach via Troutdale over July 4th, so I'll get to scope out the area.

For me the drinking is limited usually to a couple of tasty microbrews, I don't get drunk very often. There's lot's to do: check out their web site (it' linked here somewhere), there should be live music, chip and put golf, a Japanese soaking pool, sauna and massage, art, glass blowing, lots of art on the walls and pipes, large grounds to walk around, waterfalls nearby, check out the things-to-do-and-see thread hereabouts. I'm going to try to make some calls and determine the feasibility of making a short night trip to an observatory nearby, it's also in the thread. There is also a movie theater in the hotel and nice spacious balconies to relax and enjoy the views and people watch. It's quite a bustling place.

• Member Contributer

Lee,

Just wondering if you (when you can) could edit your first post to show the tentative schedule for things to happen.

A few of us may be altering our arrival / departure dates and want to make sure we are there for the group ride day and such.

Initially, we were looking at arriving on Tuesday then departing Friday, but now may be looking at a Mon - Thurs plan, so as

to take a nice leisurely route homeward bound. Also, do you need any funds in advance for meals, shirts or stuff?

As well, if you need anything printed, I'm happy to volunteer / supply them from my inhouse digital printer.

Can do upto 300lb weight in mass quantity, as well as custom stickers etc. Offer stands if you need it.

Only 145 days until!!!

• Member Contributer

Lee,

Just wondering if you (when you can) could edit your first post to show the tentative schedule for things to happen.

A few of us may be altering our arrival / departure dates and want to make sure we are there for the group ride day and such.

Initially, we were looking at arriving on Tuesday then departing Friday, but now may be looking at a Mon - Thurs plan, so as

to take a nice leisurely route homeward bound. Also, do you need any funds in advance for meals, shirts or stuff?

As well, if you need anything printed, I'm happy to volunteer / supply them from my inhouse digital printer.

Can do upto 300lb weight in mass quantity, as well as custom stickers etc. Offer stands if you need it.

Only 145 days until!!!

We're working out the details now about whether or not we will be collecting money up front, etc. We will be having a reconnoitering meeting at Edgefield as soon as we can to work out with them what is best as far as how to have a big dinner together, how we are going to handle the shirts (that's me), and other details. I'm sure Choco will chime in here pretty quick if he needs you to help with anything - thanks.

We will get an "official" looking first-post in place with all the info post-haste.

• Member Contributer

Lee,

Only 145 days until!!!

We're working out the details now about whether or not we will be collecting money up front, etc. We will be having a reconnoitering meeting at Edgefield as soon as we can to work out with them what is best as far as how to have a big dinner together, how we are going to handle the shirts (that's me), and other details. I'm sure Choco will chime in here pretty quick if he needs you to help with anything - thanks.

We will get an "official" looking first-post in place with all the info post-haste.

Thanks dude. I know with you both involved, it'll be a top drawer event. Looking forward to doing another proper flybye!!!

For my Canadian friends, I'm offering the use of my backyard opening Sunday evening and Monday. I have plenty of room for tents and a nice soft lawn, no dog poop and fairly private. There are some goats peeking over the back fence, and I expect people to be nice to Gilly, the pigmy goat.

I can set up a couple of tents and others can bring their own. I have a big outdoor semi-circle fire pit with an adjustable grill and a Weber BBQ so we can have steaks, beer, :laugh: salads and veggies. If people are there Monday morning, we can ride :laugh: around my valley, nice riding and or we can ride :laugh: out to the Boeing plant in Mulkiteo and check out the new 787, carbon fiber jets and the new stretch 747 being built. Pretty cool.

There's a fun brew pub :laugh: nearby the Boeing plant too, just ask Tony (Didit). On Tuesday morning we can all head down to the event via Snoqualmie Falls, highway 18, Enumclaw, East side of Mt. Rainier, east side of Mt. St. Helens, side trip to the Volcano itself, awesome, and then on down to the Columbia river gorge. We can study maps at my place on Monday evening. Jeff will be in charge of studying maps. :warranty:

Keith and I are going to meet at Edgefield before too long and firm up the details then, but Keith is basically handling the T-shirts and we have agreed to keep expenses down and probably won't require any up front money, but we will urge people to be firm on their committment on coming so we can order enough shirts. We will have group meetings in the grassy patio area next to the Pumphouse Pub, a large seperate building outside of the main Edgefield Hotel. I suggest people check out the website posted here somewhere.

By the way, my yard isn't exclusive to Canadian friends, anyone else from Washington can stay over too. In any case, anyone who wants to meet up with us in Duvall on Tuesday morning is more than welcome to ride down with us.

Lee,

Done, see first post. :laugh:

P.S. I suggest everyone take another look at the #2 post in this thread. Explore the links and note the pictures. The one with the water tower is the grassy lawn/patio area right next to the Power Station Pub and this is where I hope we can have our gatherings. Keith and I will confirm this when we meet there in a few weeks. The picture was taken from my room back in Sept. and this is the room I booked for the event. :warranty:

P.S. again: I just tried the McMenamin's link and see they changed it, note the art and symbology. Here is the Edgefield link: http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home

Here's where I think we can meet up for BS, Beer and Food: http://www.mcmenamins.com/617-edgefield-loading-dock-grill

For those who like it hard: http://www.mcmenamins.com/distillery

From the vine: http://www.mcmenamins.com/884-edgefield-winery-home

And, or course: http://www.mcmenamins.com/373-mcmenamins-breweries-home

Power Station Pub http://www.mcmenamins.com/468-power-station-pub-home

Pool Hall http://www.mcmenamins.com/631-lucky-staehly-s-pool-hall

Ruby's Spa http://www.mcmenamins.com/389-edgefield-ruby-s-spa-home

Golf anyone: http://www.mcmenamins.com/881-edgefield-pub-course-home

Movies indoors and out: http://www.mcmenamins.com/85-power-station-theater

Soaking Pool, been there done that: Nice for after the rides: http://www.mcmenamins.com/1341-edgefield-soaking-pool

Thanks for posting up more details Lee. I'll plan on being there Sunday.

I just booked the previous Thursday off as well because it was a nightshift, and getting off Nights Friday morning and being in Duvall Sunday evening would be a bit of a headspinner for me, 'cause I ain't 18 anymore!

• Member Contributer

For my Canadian friends, I'm offering the use of my backyard opening Sunday evening and Monday. I have plenty of room for tents and a nice soft lawn, no dog poop and fairly private. There are some goats peeking over the back fence, and I expect people to be nice to Gilly, the pigmy goat.

I can set up a couple of tents and others can bring their own. I have a big outdoor semi-circle fire pit with an adjustable grill and a Weber BBQ so we can have steaks, beer, :beer: salads and veggies. If people are there Monday morning, we can ride :wheel: around my valley, nice riding and or we can ride :wheel: out to the Boeing plant in Mulkiteo and check out the new 787, carbon fiber jets and the new stretch 747 being built. Pretty cool.

There's a fun brew pub :beer: nearby the Boeing plant too, just ask Tony (Didit). On Tuesday morning we can all head down to the event via Snoqualmie Falls, highway 18, Enumclaw, East side of Mt. Rainier, east side of Mt. St. Helens, side trip to the Volcano itself, awesome, and then on down to the Columbia river gorge. We can study maps at my place on Monday evening. Jeff will be in charge of studying maps. :beatdeadhorse:

Keith and I are going to meet at Edgefield before too long and firm up the details then, but Keith is basically handling the T-shirts and we have agreed to keep expenses down and probably won't require any up front money, but we will urge people to be firm on their committment on coming so we can order enough shirts. We will have group meetings in the grassy patio area next to the Pumphouse Pub, a large seperate building outside of the main Edgefield Hotel. I suggest people check out the website posted here somewhere.

By the way, my yard isn't exclusive to Canadian friends, anyone else from Washington can stay over too. In any case, anyone who wants to meet up with us in Duvall on Tuesday morning is more than welcome to ride down with us.

Thats a great offer Lee!

I can only do old school paper maps, i seem to be technically challenged.

Thats a great offer Lee!

Rob learned me, I can learn you :beatdeadhorse:

Using Google Maps, fix your route and clink the link button upper right, looks like a chain link, highlight the top line and copy with a click of your mouse, open up a VFRD thread and click mouse to copy. At the very beginning of the very long web address do this {map}and at the very end do this {/map} and see how that works. Only use [] instead of the squiggly ones. :wheel:

I hate to set you lose with more maps and map options, so I guess you will be busy. At least you don't have to use a flashlight. :wheel:

• Member Contributer
Thats a great offer Lee!

Rob learned me, I can learn you :tour:

Using Google Maps, fix your route and clink the link button upper right, looks like a chain link, highlight the top line and copy with a click of your mouse, open up a VFRD thread and click mouse to copy. At the very beginning of the very long web address do this {map}and at the very end do this {/map} and see how that works. Only use [] instead of the squiggly ones. :fing02:

I hate to set you lose with more maps and map options, so I guess you will be busy. At least you don't have to use a flashlight. +1.gif

LOL Thanks for the lesson! if i rode my bike like i use computer, id crash before i got it off the center stand

Well it is looking like I will be there. I have been starting to get work booked for march to july so fingers crossed.

Well it is doubtful I am going to make this years ride. Work has been a little slower to rebound then I had hoped.

I also have a very sick little girl and we are getting very concerned with what is wrong. She is one of my twins but at the moment is 30lbs lighter then her sister and conplains that she hurts when she eats. She has gone through a ton of tests given most of her blood and yet we still have no idea what is wrong.

So family and work are going be coming first as they should be this year guys have fun and a big maybe if things get better i will see you guys.

Dean

Snakeman

Archived