2010 Summer Pnw/canada Meet

choco

Jalene and I are booked. It's a cool place!

Choco/Cassandtim/Magellan et al - let's meet up as soon as practical for planning and reconnoitering.

Please PM with contact info.

Tony spent the night with my wife and I in Duvall. Raining again today, we'll find something to do and he's leaving in the morning either over 20, Leavenworth, Steven's Pass, or 2, North Cascade Highway, depending on weather.

He's having trouble logging onto our wireless network, working on it now.

Jeff made it home last night drove in rain all day, twisty roads right to the end. That's our guy!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am not going to book anything yet, but I should be there - I think i have ridden all areas mentioned? All are great for riding.

15 rooms ?

We filled one and a half hotels in Dillon !

Count me in as coming.

p.s. pick the least rainy month to have it. If there is such a thing up there.

Should be fun. Can't wait.

Yes 15 rooms is all they would let me reserve in a block. I'd suggest people who are early to register should ask for a room outside the block and this will preserve the 15 for awhile. I've got a room reserved outside the block.

• Member Contributer
...pick the least rainy month to have it. If there is such a thing up there.

Exactly! That's why we've always had the PNW VFRD meets in August. Rainfall is lowest here in July-Aug., generally less than 2" for the period, even out here at my house on the coast.

Still, pack your raingear. I usually have the Aerostich rain glove mitts in my tank bag, which take up zero space. Mesh gear with removable waterproof liners are ideal, and it's what I wear year-round here.

Temps in August will run from as low as 40 at night up to the 90's or even 100 at times. Riding in the Columbia River Gorge can be very windy due to high pressure on the east side of the Cascade Range. Carry water with you.

In general, July-October here the riding weather is fabulous.

...pick the least rainy month to have it. If there is such a thing up there.

Exactly! That's why we've always had the PNW VFRD meets in August. Rainfall is lowest here in July-Aug., generally less than 2" for the period, even out here at my house on the coast.

Still, pack your raingear. I usually have the Aerostich rain glove mitts in my tank bag, which take up zero space. Mesh gear with removable waterproof liners are ideal, and it's what I wear year-round here.

Temps in August will run from as low as 40 at night up to the 90's or even 100 at times. Riding in the Columbia River Gorge can be very windy due to high pressure on the east side of the Cascade Range. Carry water with you.

In general, July-October here the riding weather is fabulous.

:laugh: This is always a great riding time.

There are some great routes in every direction. In the last couple years we've hit most but not all if you've been here before I'm sure we can find some great roads not many of you have ridden. We can do anything from 4 lanes to 1 lane paved in the mountains, from fast to fast and windy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've booked the time in my calendar for Aug. 13th to the 22nd so I'll be there 4-shore!

Radar and 'company' will be heading down with me, as will a bunch of others too, I'm sure.

Might I suggest posting this up in the VFRD calendar section, so others can find the dates too.

Not sure about staying at McMinnimen's, may have other arrangements.

Anything I can do to help from this end, consider it done.

Planning on hitting up keithbob for wine tours on the Mon / Tue before, as well as some of your splendid local roads.

See ya'll at the motorcycle show in Dec.!

• Member Contributer

May try and do this (Since I found out that I'll no longer be employed after November (30 years with Verizon). Maybe I'll take some time off before finding another real job!

ki-speed (Mark)

• Member Contributer

I'm tentative on this one for now (but if I can make it, I will.)

I'm probably moving in the next few months, so not sure of holidays and coverage, etc. Shouldn't be a problem, but I will wait until I know for sure.

If I do make it down, I also tossed around the idea with Mrs Q-Dawg of her bringing down the 4Runner and the kids to do a little bit of a family trip as well. Thought perhaps she could carry tools / emergency items and act as a support vehicle for the Canadian Company if needed. She thought this was a great idea as she kinda wished to have the opportunity to meet the rest of you fine folks after I came back from Summit and jabbered on and on for weeks about what a great time it was. This way she doesn't have to suffer on the bike for days at a time, which would make her happy too.

I'll be doing my best to keep my calendar free for this meet and hope to see you all again.

Got some serious wrenching to do this winter to get the old Viffer whipped back into shape. New PC3 map, finish PAIR elimination, change fork oil, new sprockets / chain, new Pro-Oiler nozzle, planning on getting a new rear shock 929 or F4i with stiffer spring and more adjustable, Gixxer mirrors and FSD tail yet to install, wider spacing on the Lasers, re-mount cruise control in friendlier location, different horns, HID headlights perhaps, new tires Michelin PR2 (after seeing how great they work for everyone else), and planning on modding my Givi Speedbag to use on my Ventura rack (to gain more lockable storage, but less overall volume), and extra set of passenger pegs to mod for solo riding with luggage rack.

• Member Contributer
15 rooms ?

Count me in as coming.

Yes 15 rooms is all they would let me reserve in a block. I'd suggest people who are early to register should ask for a room outside the block and this will preserve the 15 for awhile. I've got a room reserved outside the block.

I'd like to suggest that you look at contacting the Best Western up the street, http://www.bestwesternoregon.com/hotels/be...inn-and-suites/, looks like a newer hotel and decent rates. Chances are this is were Didit and I will end up, the euro idea is neat, but I want my own washroom, that and I have a new pair a swimming trunks that I picked up in Dillon that I need to break in :fing02:

Edit

"This Troutdale hotel also features an indoor heated pool, hot tub, steam room, exercise room and massage services. Best Western Business Plus Rooms are available."

Uhm yeah, I will be booking the massage along with the room

• Member Contributer
15 rooms ?

Count me in as coming.

I'd like to suggest that you look at contacting the Best Western up the street, http://www.bestwesternoregon.com/hotels/be...inn-and-suites/, looks like a newer hotel and decent rates. Chances are this is were Didit and I will end up, the euro idea is neat, but I want my own washroom, that and I have a new pair a swimming trunks that I picked up in Dillon that I need to break in :fing02:

Edit

"This Troutdale hotel also features an indoor heated pool, hot tub, steam room, exercise room and massage services. Best Western Business Plus Rooms are available."

Does the massage offer "happy ending?"

• Member Contributer
15 rooms ?

Count me in as coming.

Edit

No I just called, they no longer offer the massage service, darn.

• Member Contributer
15 rooms ?

Count me in as coming.

I'd like to suggest that you look at contacting the Best Western up the street, http://www.bestwesternoregon.com/hotels/be...inn-and-suites/, looks like a newer hotel and decent rates. Chances are this is were Didit and I will end up, the euro idea is neat, but I want my own washroom, that and I have a new pair a swimming trunks that I picked up in Dillon that I need to break in :blink:

Edit

No I just called, they no longer offer the massage service, darn.

Cr@p! And I was going to go!! :goofy:

c

Hey Lee, have you picked dates yet?
I'm still in even without a rub & tug

Crash at my place and I'll bbq a steak for us, then we'll ride down, eh?

No, dates don't grow around here. Picked some apples, picked some plums and cherries a time or two, but not dates. :fing02:

Oh, you mean those kinds of dates. Yes, it's in the post above somewhere, Aug 17-19.

Archived