Voltmeter

Monk

It was suggested not to wire directly to battery.

I just bought a volt gauge, and it has 20" wire's (red/black)........ Where is a good place to connect (solder) them?........... Monk

• Member Contributer

I just bought a volt gauge, and it has 20" wire's (red/black)........ Where is a good place to connect (solder) them?........... Monk

Howdy Mr. Monk,

The tail light wire is easiest to get to. If it was me, I would just tap it with a water resistant plug.

I run my volt meter off the wiring harness I built for my radar detector, so it is switched by hand. I did that instead of hacking the bikes wiring harness.

Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Mac

• Member Contributer

Anyplace you have 12V power is fine. You may wire it to ignition switched power, e.g. tailight, or license plate light which will turn off with your key, or, you may wire it directly to the battery with your own switch inline on either the power or ground wire. The second way would allow you to see the voltage before turning the bike on, very handy, but it also allows you to make a mistake and leave it on, it uses very little power and would take a long time to prevent the bike from starting. Ground it anywhere on the frame or any ground wire.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

If it's an LED gauge I would wire it up to a switched circuit (only on when bike is on). If it's an LCD guage you could wire it up to either a switched or unswitched (hot all the time) circuit (LCD draws very little). The advantage of an LCD meter wired to a unswitched circuit is you can monitor at any time, the bikes battery voltage (even when it's charging). This will help give you a heads up when your battery maintainer is going bad.

Also, gauge really needs to be at least water resistant or better yet water proof.

Good luck.

ki-speed (Mark)

Would wiring it directly to the battery give a slightly different reading from if you wire it dowstream trough the wiring harnesses, ignition switch and maybe even relays, which the tailight wires might be. Would there be a little bit of voltage loss through the wiring???

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Would wiring it directly to the battery give a slightly different reading from if you wire it dowstream trough the wiring harnesses, ignition switch and maybe even relays, which the tailight wires might be. Would there be a little bit of voltage loss through the wiring???

Beck

95 VFR

My opinion is it really doesn't matter, since you will be using it for comparison (one ride to another) rather than diagnostics. Provided your system is up to snuff, what the meter actually displays is not as important as the differences it displays over time.

Beck

95 VFR

My opinion is it really doesn't matter, since you will be using it for comparison (one ride to another) rather than diagnostics. Provided your system is up to snuff, what the meter actually displays is not as important as the differences it displays over time.

This is similar to the Speedo....yes the reading will remain steady, but doing the conversion isn't always easy. I would suggest running it from a relayed source to the battery. The Taillight can have 1.5 volts of loss by the time power gets there, as I found when I wired in LED's for my Trunk, and configured them for 13.5 volts not 12....they don't come on unless the engine is running now. Tapping into the Red/Black wire from the ignition switch directly would give a better reading, and would be easier for those 20" wires to reach.

What kind of meter did you buy?

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

A slight voltage loss and a current loss will occur due to increased resistance (think friction) in a particular length of wire at some point "downstream" of the battery. With our bikes though, it will be extremely little. The wires' gauge is too low and the length of wires are not long enough. IMO.

• Member Contributer
The Taillight can have 1.5 volts of loss by the time power gets there, as I found when I wired in LED's for my Trunk, and configured them for 13.5 volts not 12....

1.5 Volts? Thats over 12% loss. Something doesn't seem right with that. Even taking into account the vast amount of cheap connectors honda uses that seems way outta whack.

Beck

95 VFR

This is similar to the Speedo....yes the reading will remain steady, but doing the conversion isn't always easy. I would suggest running it from a relayed source to the battery. The Taillight can have 1.5 volts of loss by the time power gets there, as I found when I wired in LED's for my Trunk, and configured them for 13.5 volts not 12....they don't come on unless the engine is running now. Tapping into the Red/Black wire from the ignition switch directly would give a better reading, and would be easier for those 20" wires to reach.

What kind of meter did you buy?

Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_...s_and_Chargers_

• Member Contributer
If it's an LED gauge I would wire it up to a switched circuit (only on when bike is on). If it's an LCD guage you could wire it up to either a switched or unswitched (hot all the time) circuit (LCD draws very little). The advantage of an LCD meter wired to a unswitched circuit is you can monitor at any time, the bikes battery voltage (even when it's charging). This will help give you a heads up when your battery maintainer is going bad.

Also, gauge really needs to be at least water resistant or better yet water proof.

Good luck.

ki-speed (Mark)

Isn't that backwards? I thought LED draws far less power than LCD. If you look at today's TVs the new ones are going LED and touting the reduction in power usage.

Tapping into the Red/Black wire from the ignition switch directly would give a better reading, and would be easier for those 20" wires to reach.What kind of meter did you buy?

So if I tap directly to the (R/B wires) ignition switch...... Will I be good to go without relays and other such stuff?..... If so, should I, solder, or use some kind of wire-to-wire connecter?...... Monk

• Member Contributer

Why not?

Let the bike sit for a week and you'll know why.

Attach the + lead to a hot wire (duh) but many of them in the upper wiring harness near or around the gauges will typically give you a flickering reading when you activate the turnsignals. If that matters to you. Also, it will read about .5 to .7 volts lower, in my experience, than when read from the battery. You can attach to the battery with a keyed relay, avoid the drain, and get a more accurate reading. You can get the relays (typically 20amp or so) at radioshack or similar.

Currently I have a marine analog unit hooked up to the wiring harness (seen here):

IMG_9564.jpg

but I'll be switching to a datel digital meter with relay wired to the battery.

IMO: a voltmeter is the best single mod you can do on a VFR/bike.

• Member Contributer
Tapping into the Red/Black wire from the ignition switch directly would give a better reading, and would be easier for those 20" wires to reach.What kind of meter did you buy?

So if I tap directly to the (R/B wires) ignition switch...... Will I be good to go without relays and other such stuff?..... If so, should I, solder, or use some kind of wire-to-wire connecter?...... Monk

Monk, don't tap your actual ignition wire, it will work, but you don't want to introduce potential problems on that wire. Instead tap an ignition switched wire.

If you don't want to be able to turn it on with the bike off, then the best way is to do as fotomoto suggests. Use a standard 20 amp 12V relay. Wire the relay to the battery (+ to +) (- to - or the frame) Then tap into your license plate light for the signal wire to turn the relay on. Then wire the voltmeter to the relay (1 wire on the switched output of the relay, the other wire will share either power or ground of the relay depending on if you wired switched ground or switched power). Wire tie the relay somewhere nice and covered. Personally, I solder all wire to wire connections...

• 2 weeks later...

Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_...s_and_Chargers_

gallery_16535_4484_607338.jpg

DSC00147.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1759834.jpg

DSC00146.JPG

OK....... Battery gauge installed, And by the way it's waterproof and has a dimmer eye to auto dim in the dark.

I kept all the mods in one area (as in pic next to water bottle).... I used the power wire from the cluster plug going to my hot wire leading to my left handlebar elec.'s as my switch wire with relay and spliced into my gps power wire to battery..... So now my gps and my battery gauge are hot when key's on, but not when off.

Everything was done with the shortest amount of wiring all in one area.

Thank you all for getting me going in the right direction. I used your information to tell the "Audio tech" I took my bike to what I'd like done............... I did not do this install project "He did"..... With all the electric crap I hear about, I didn't want to risk causing an electric hazard that I didn't have in the first place......... Monk

Correction to my last post.... The volt gauge is water resistance, not proof...... but a little silicone will fix that...I ran some silicone around the only edge that has a seam so now it's water proof.....gallery_16535_4484_1751379.jpg

DSC00150.JPG

I have an LCD voltmeter, it's wired directly to the battery, never had a flat bettery ever.

The voltmeter draws about the same as the clock.

+1

I like being able to watch the battery voltage when the bike is turned off and has been sitting for awhile in the garage. Especially in the winter. The downside is that you can't see the display at night (no backlighting).

I have an LCD voltmeter, it's wired directly to the battery, never had a flat bettery ever.

The voltmeter draws about the same as the clock.

A voltmeter has very high input impedance (>1Meg Ohm) and will only put a very small load on the system. Think about it. If the voltmeter was drawing a lot of current it would be load on the system and would cause a large voltage drop across it and thus turning a instrument into a load.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

If you wire it through and auxiliary fuse box is there any reason you would get inaccurate readings?

You should connect it over a relay to get more accurate reading. Here is a diagram.

gallery_16926_5354_260590.jpg

VFR800 Aux Fuse Box.jpg

• 8 months later...

Bumping back to life:

Monk,

How is your voltmeter holding up to the elements after you "water proofed" it? Also, how did you mount the guage - did you use velcro, 3M Dual Lock or the like? Would you buy the same gauge again? I definitely need a voltmeter and saw this same unit at a local shop this weekend. Lots to choose from out there, but this doesn't have to cross the border to get here. Thanks for your help - from a displaced Virginia boy.

Archived