Struggling With Comfort Issues

canib

Question

• Member Contributer

Hello VFRD! Long time no post.

I’m having a hard time with comfort issues on my 2006 VFR. I have the Sergeant seat, Heli-bars, and ZG double bubble wind screen. I have a ton of other mods too, but none of them should be relevant to comfort. Here’s the problem; rides longer than 30 minutes are uncomfortable in my back, neck, and shoulders. If I didn’t have so much money invested in the VFR I would seriously consider dumping it for a standard (love the Superdukes and FZ1s) The problem is it seems like the reach to the bars is too far. A friend of mine, who rides a ninja, even agrees that it’s a long reach to the bars. The worst is commuting through stop and go traffic. That really wears me out. I squeeze my knees when I come to a stop, but I have to put my feet down eventually and end up with too much weight on my arms.

Here are my questions;

What am I missing?

Am I just a 31 year old pu**y?

Does anyone have experience with the LSL Superbike bars on the 6th gen?

Anyone within 100 miles of Vegas with those bars who’d let me try them out?

The Sergeant Seat seems to make me sit farther away from the bars, anyone else notice this?

When I put the heli-bars on, did I not have them tilted back far enough? They are about 1.5 inches away from the tank at full lock.

Thanks in advance for all your help! I already scoot my butt as far forward as possible and keep my abs tight to help support the lower back. I’m really hoping there’s a way to fix this so I can keep my lovely VFR. Leg position is fine, I just lean too far forward.

• Member Contributer

Oddly enough, I don't have those issues. I'm also way outside the norm for height; how tall are you?

If the bars are about 1.5 inches from the tank at full lock I don't think you can get any closer. Are they adjusted as high as they will go? I've never played with Heli's, the LSL kit interests me but haven't touched that either, I'm using Gen-Mar bar lifters on my '04. Would consider going to the LSL possibly in the future though, but for now I'm surviving with what I've got.

• Member Contributer
uncomfortable in my back, neck, and shoulders.

Sounds like you just need to relax a bit. Ease your grip on the bars and breath normally.

• Member Contributer

I have lower back problems due to a swollen disc. I am 5'7" with the stock grips and a Sargent seat. I only suffer fatigue when I get done with long rides.

My suggestion would be to see if a friend will let you ride their bike for 30 minutes and see if you suffer the same effects. Then you will know if it is your bike or you. Then go from there.

• Member Contributer

I am just the opposite. On my 2002 VFR I had Heli-bars and a Corbin seat that sort of sat you back a little and I thought it was perfect. I now have a 2007 RWB with Heli-bars and a Sargeant seat and I find it crowds me to close to the tank. I'm 55, 185 lbs and about 5' 9". I would trade back to a Corbin in a minute!!!!

Just went out and checked, the center of my bars are 3" from my tank so I would agree you have them about as far back as possible. I'm on the tall side so the VFR seems a little small to me. Hopefully you can find a position thats comfortable. When I was riding sport bikes I really had to concentrate on keeping my grip loose and fore arms relaxed. If you more uncomfortable in traffic it may be because you are not as focused on relaxing as you are on the traffic. Try sitting up when you come to a stop and stretch out. Good Luck!

Action

• Member Contributer

Wierd suggestion....

I have a herniated disc at c6/c7 and I do exercises just for that. Look up some exercises and see if they help. I'm 6'2" and 280 and I rarely go through upper or lower back problems anymore. The combo of the Genmars, BLS pegs, Sargeant, plus forcing myself into a good posture has helped immensely.

just a thought...

I was uncomfortable on my 07 until I realized I was just placing too much weight on my arms/hands. Once I stopped doing that it was problem solved for the most part. I agree that trying to relax should really help. Based upon where you say you are having the trouble - upper back, neck etc it seems tension could be the culprit.

• Member Contributer

Convertibars are totally adjustable to suit your body type and riding style. Also you can try using tank traction pads so you can use your legs to help support your weight. Maybe you can stretch a bit before your ride...it may help you relax/loosen up, like others have suggested. Hope you get more comfy, those 6th gens are really nice bikes.

• Member Contributer

Maybe try keeping you abdominal muscles tight and use them. It will help with the back. Alot of the other sounds like you are just to tense while riding. Make sure your hands and arms are relaxed.

I had alot of issues with comfort on the vfr, but somewhat opposite.

I developed tendinitus, in my left elbow, from the rear sweep of stock clipons. Litterrally, I got to where I couldnt pick up anything with my left elbow or roll down the window in my truck without ecrutiating pain. I immediately lifted the bars out of their dents and pivot forward. Still took like 6 months for my elbow tendon back to normal. I just cant have my wrists cocked in stock vfr form, that cocked angle and operating the clutch did a numer on my tendons , I guess.

secondly the stock seat height is too low, my legs were killing me, I raised the seat height a few inches, LUvly.

Next the seat its self is a rock, needs lots of cushion.

Side benefit of sitting taller , less noise

one thing you might try on your issue, is too drop the forks all they way down, that should help your neck

• Member Contributer

31 and the VFR is too radical? Either you're out of shape or using poor riding position/techniques.

I added my own handlebar to my second VTEC.

gallery_611_2287_97522.jpg

SuperBike Bars Gold renthals with TAG off-road mounts.

I was uncomfortable on my 07 until I realized I was just placing too much weight on my arms/hands. Once I stopped doing that it was problem solved for the most part. I agree that trying to relax should really help. Based upon where you say you are having the trouble - upper back, neck etc it seems tension could be the culprit.

:biggrin:

How many miles have you ridden this bike? Sometimes it just takes some time for your body to adjust to the mucsles needed to ride in that position.

31 and the VFR is too radical? Either you're out of shape or using poor riding position/techniques.

I added my own handlebar to my second VTEC.

That looks pretty nice, Foto. Did you need to change the hydraulic lines, throttle cables, and maybe some wiring for longer stuff when you raise the bar that high? It would seem to be necessary, there was barely enough extra to get the clip ons off the fork tube without disconnecting some of that stuff when I did the Gen Mar risers. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

RustyA had some cool extendo thingies for his bike...

Here's the link to the post (give it a sec, it'll take you right to it. Post #48, pg 2, if it doesn't)

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...st&p=570209

They were for using the RC51 forks, but I'm sure you could get something similar, or the converti-bars, which I believe are adjustable.

Trying a different seat might be an idea too. There is a group buy for corbins on now (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47597), I'm sure someone would take that sargent off your hands for almost the full price of the new corbin.

• Member Contributer
That looks pretty nice, Foto. Did you need to change the hydraulic lines, throttle cables, and maybe some wiring for longer stuff when you raise the bar that high? It would seem to be necessary, there was barely enough extra to get the clip ons off the fork tube without disconnecting some of that stuff when I did the Gen Mar risers. :biggrin:

No other parts needed other than to reroute things from stock. Notice the throttle cables are at their limit.

• Member Contributer
I was uncomfortable on my 07 until I realized I was just placing too much weight on my arms/hands. Once I stopped doing that it was problem solved for the most part.

I had the same issue. I almost convinced myself that I had made a mistake and the VFR wasn't for me. I made a concerted effort any time I felt myself putting weight on my palms to arch my back some and take the weight off. That and some sit ups to strengthen my core muscles took care of it for me. It took a few months of working on my riding style/position and now I'm completely at home on the VFR.

• Member Contributer

The problem is your form. Even stock, you should easily be able to ride all day with minimal comfort issues, if you do it right. I am close to your age and do 400-500 miles of twisties every time I ride.

The only thing that should hurt is your legs. You should never have any weight on your arms, at all, period. Your arms are for steering, throttle, and braking, not to support your body. Support your body with your thighs. Straighten your back and lean forward. Keep your arms bent at close to a 90 degree angle. Sit on your bike on the center stand in the garage to practice, don't even put your hands on the bars. When you are riding, don't wrap your hands completely around the grips, just let your fingers dangle down, and remember to keep your elbows bent with your forearms close to parallel with the ground.

If you do this for a couple rides, your upper back may be in a bit of pain, but it will go away quickly as the muscles develop. Then you will just have to worry about knee and leg muscle pain.

• Member Contributer

Big +1 on examining/improving posture & how you support your upper-body weight. Along the lines of what others said - Keeping your back arched just a bit to avoid slumping on your palms will keep the weight off your arms & help your core strength at the same time. When I bought my 1st bike ('95 F3) I found it uncomfortable until I began to consciously work on my posture & it made a huge improvement. Good luck!

• Member Contributer
The problem is your form. Even stock, you should easily be able to ride all day with minimal comfort issues, if you do it right. I am close to your age and do 400-500 miles of twisties every time I ride.

The only thing that should hurt is your legs. You should never have any weight on your arms, at all, period. Your arms are for steering, throttle, and braking, not to support your body. Support your body with your thighs. Straighten your back and lean forward. Keep your arms bent at close to a 90 degree angle. Sit on your bike on the center stand in the garage to practice, don't even put your hands on the bars. When you are riding, don't wrap your hands completely around the grips, just let your fingers dangle down, and remember to keep your elbows bent with your forearms close to parallel with the ground.

If you do this for a couple rides, your upper back may be in a bit of pain, but it will go away quickly as the muscles develop. Then you will just have to worry about knee and leg muscle pain.

+1. %201.gif

Especially since the pain is in your upper back.

• Member Contributer

Okay no one else has said it yet so here it goes....... How much do you weigh? If your slightly overweight, it could be a problem on long rides. Seating position naturally changes as you put on weight due to your body settling on the ride. Simple solution if this is the case. Weight watchers. I don't mean to offend but it could be the problem. Good luck.

I don't have any issues with comfort on the VFR, she feels like she was made just for me, however I think my posture/positioning could do with some improvement and I'll give all that a try thanks Jeremy :goofy:

Strangely though, I have had lower back issues/pain on both my old 5th gens yet never any problems on my 6th gens.

Okay no one else has said it yet so here it goes....... How much do you weigh? If your slightly overweight, it could be a problem on long rides. Seating position naturally changes as you put on weight due to your body settling on the ride. Simple solution if this is the case. Weight watchers. I don't mean to offend but it could be the problem. Good luck.

:goofy:

weight, arm length in relation to the modded set up and overall physical condition. Any cross training going on? Riding a bicycle, stretching, some push ups, sit ups.

I find that the longer rides are more pleasurable and rewarding when I'm in a routine a basic physical maintenance.

i know riding position, relaxation and weight off the arms have all been mentioned.

try some strength training. i felt like that when i first started riding. sore back, neck and shoulders - generally tired.

work out and build some core strength and upper body/back exercises and you'll feel like a million dollars. you will use your core strength to hold you up and off your arms and it'll keep your back from getting sore.

when i first got my bike i felt tired after an hour or so. once you are in good riding shape you'll easily be able to put in 8-10 hours of riding (with an occasional break) in a day.

good luck.

I would certainly agree with what others have said thus far. Your basic form has much to do with your fatigue level. My friend was death gripping the bars on our Deals Gap trip last year and I took him aside to show him a few pointers. After that he did 300 mile days with no problem (And he was on a 929RR with stock seat/bars!). And FWIW and IMHO those superbike bars are ugly. But find something that works for you.

I have the ZG double bubble, Sergeant seat, helis...etc. I can do 300-500 mile days no problem-----and I'm wayyyyyyyyy overweight and 30 now!!!

I would also suggest a monthly massage.....that has really helped my back issues. I also s-t-r-e-t-c-h daily.

How is it a long reach to the bars on a VFR???

Archived