Mp3 Player Just Died, Looking For Another One

Guest sigsauer33

Guest sigsauer33

The other day my MP3 player died on me so I am in the market for another one. Wanted to see if you all knoew of one that would suit me.

1. CAN NOT BE AN IPOD, I hate them, way over priced and have to have that stupid software to add music.

2. My goal is to have a wireless remote for it that can be mounted on a RAM mount and the MP3 Player be in my bag. This is just a nice to have, will not need it if the player has large enough buttons, but if no remote have to have the ability to obtain a sport strap to put it on my arm.

3. trying not to spend 200.00 on one.

3. Already have a GPS, and can not use my cellphone because the blackberry keys are to small to change music while riding. (yes I am a crackberry addict)

• Member Contributer

Try checking out the Microsoft Zune. I just got the 4gb model for Christmas and I'm digging it. The main button on it is pretty large and could probably be operated with a gloved thumb (personally I just set mine on shuffle, set the button lock and throw it in my jacket pocket). Only thing you may not care for is that you do have to download the Microsoft software. Pretty easy to use though.

Best part is the sound though. Even without any kind of sound equalization available, the sound is actually very good and clean.

My previous mp3 player was a Samsung T10. Good little player too. Well until I cracked the screen on it.... The Samsung's might be a good option for you too because they do have bluetooth, but I think it might be a broadcast only setup...didn't spend much time playing with that feature in the 7 months I was using it. Also the battery life isn't as good as the Zune. The Zune looks like it will get 20-30 hours of run time, the T10 would get about 12 max.

• Member Contributer

I have been in the market for a mp3 player,and I have 0 experience what do you all think of the sandisk?The 8g recertified when in stock sells for $49http:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-e280.../206531557.html

Mike

• Member Contributer

The remote thing is hard if you don't want an Ipod, not sure of other brands that have a remote.

For me, I used a sandisk sansa. Great features including music (of course), video, FM radio and voice recording. I have the older version, the e260 and have bought my parents the new fuze. Both are great and I can use the controls on the player through my pocket. THe buttons work well enough that in can be in a jacket pocket and you can fell them though the fabric.

Here is a link to them on amazon, which gives fairly good deals.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_3_4?u...mp;sprefix=Sand

• Member Contributer

After several years of riding and trying different music options, my current favorite setup is a SanDisk Sansa Clip, on an arm band on my right bicep. I can easily change the track and volume with my left hand, and can even see the display just fine if at a stop and searching for a song. Also with this setup, I don't have a cord going to a tank bag or into my jacket, so I get a lot less snags and pulls on my earbuds.

• Member Contributer
What I am going to do is to wear the IPOD and velcro the remote controller to the top of my tank bag. Small wireless attachment on the bottom of the NANO

This will probably work for you

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZClick-Rem...2830&sr=1-3

%201.gif for the Sandisk. I refused to buy an i-pod as well. The Sandisk has the FM tuner which is nice at race tracks when they broadcast the announcements over an FM station. I've used that feature at Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta a few times.

• Member Contributer

There's really no reason in this day and age to spend over $50 for an MP3 player UNLESS you want wifi and video capabilities.

Watch for deals on slickdeals.net and woot.com

• Member Contributer

Slightly off topic, as you are asking about MP3 players, but here's my musical setup on the VFR.

XM Sportscaster radio. Very inexpensive. Easy to program favorite channels and the big button allows easy access to all your favorites while riding. Notice the XM antenna on the mirror stem. I never have a problem with reception. I mounted the unit with velcro tape and ran the wiring under the fairing. When it's time to wash the bike, just unplug and tear free from the fairing. (I have accidentally wet this unit many times and it survived).

I also use my GPS and sometimes my oldschool ipod, but most of the time I use the XM.

You'll also notice the Hi/Low switch for my Symtec heated grips. (Lots of good they're doing me with the bike in the living room)

Like you, I'll soon be in the market for a new MP3 player, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. So far, ZUNE looks good to me.

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1050.jpg

DSCN1048.jpg

If you're looking for cheap, try overstock.com I've bought two mp3's from them (the first one was crushed, don't ask) and they're fast. I have the Rio something or other. It's 2 gigs and has FM radio too. I leave mine velcroed to the top of my tank bag. The buttons are a little difficult to use with gloves on but I manage. This year I added some Skullkandy head phones as opposed to the old school headphones I installed in my helmet. Much better.

BTW, I'll never road trip without an mp3 player. In fact, I always ride with one on now. It absolutely makes riding better.

• Member Contributer

Check out COWON

If you care about sound quality. iAudio blows iPod and most other players out of the water. I've owned one for about 3 years now and i can't even listen to my wifes' iPod. Just go into the store and listen to this thing. You will not want to buy anything else.

Huge battery life, radio, tonns of other features.

iAudio F2 is on my list once my current iAudio dies. But it just keeps going strong...

Check out COWON

If you care about sound quality. iAudio blows iPod and most other players out of the water. I've owned one for about 3 years now and i can't even listen to my wifes' iPod. Just go into the store and listen to this thing. You will not want to buy anything else.

iAudio F2 is on my list once my current iAudio dies. But it just keeps going strong...

+1....I had a Zune 80GB and gave that to my younger son and bought a 32GB O2. I like video capabilities AND good sound and after scouring the net, the O2 fit the bill for me.

I also purchased a couple of D2's as well for Xmas presents, the kids love em. SQ is awesome, touch screen and sound enhancements (EQ, BBE, etc.) are nice additions. The fact the battery on the D2 is advertised to last 52 hrs (audio) and 10 hrs (video) is a big plus and you can throw almost any format at it, OGG, FLAC, MP3, WMA and others....no converting necessary.

Another welcome addition is you can add a SD card if you find yourself running out of room.....what else could you ask for?

• Member Contributer
Check out COWON

+1. I have had a U2 for about 4 years now and it has been great. The battery has really started to degrade recently though, and only gives about 7 hours of playback versus 14-16 when new.

• Member Contributer

I was part of the anti I pod club too.... then i bought a touch.. worth every penny.. most amazing useful gadget on the planet. so so much more than just an i pod.

i am thinking about getting a zune. I hate anything MAC so I refuse to buy an ipod. And why do they insist on using the I in everything?

• Member Contributer
Try checking out the Microsoft Zune.

LOL. Hate to be somewhat :wacko: but isn't this the MP3 player that had 30 gig models die on 1/1/2009?

iPods - don't really like them much because they go hand-in-hand with iTunes. I have a nano collecting dust.

:excl: On the SanDisk Sansa. I bought a 4GB Sansa Clip for $49 at Costco over the summer on a coupon special. It is tiny, has a display, you can use Windows Media Player to sync, and if you don't like the sync'ing hoopla, you can treat it like a USB drive and simply dump your MP3s on it w/ no special software needed. It has an FM tuner like the rest of the Sansa family which is cool. Battery life is good- I get about 10 hours of operation to a single charge.

another one to look at is creative products. Completely plug and play with any software required. I have a "Vision M" and love it. Refuse to use I-Pod myself :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'm in the market too. Just my own thoughts on what was mentioned.

iCOWON is amazing. I'm looking at their flash-based i7 models, which have a battery life of 60hrs, take any file format, and are the best sounding players out there, period. Large capacity range

Ipods. Could care less. Overpriced on most price ranges. Medium sound quality, but a battery that you'll have to charge every time you tank up on a road trip. Large capacity range

Creative. Some nice players. Most are fairly cheap, but nothing too great here. Their Stone player is better than the nano, and cheaper. Only thing I can comment on. Mostly small capacity players

Zune. Their latest gen (2nd or 3rd) are actually pretty good. Seriously competitive with the ipods. Only large capacity

Sansa. hit or miss with their players. They have some really nice ones, like the e280, but some of the other ones weren't that great, but still not bad. Believe they only do small flash players, so you won't find large capacity players.

I think I'm going to buy a 16g i7. Just waiting to see if I find the need for video playback before I buy.

• Member Contributer

I bought my wife a SanDisk Sansa 8GB last year. Its awesome. It will play anything in any format. Video, Audio, Photo etc and it has a built in FM tuner. The best part about it is that its expandable. It has a slot that accepts Micro SD cards. I liked it so much, I bought the new model for my kid this year for cristmas. The only difference is the new one accepts Micro SD HC cards and has a bigger screen. Both models can have the battery changed out for $20.00. The old one has a 12hr battery life and the new one has a 24hr battery life. The new one was only $89.00. Both the wife and kid love them because theres no software or conversion to your media. Everything is drag and drop and it acts like an external hard drive when you plug in the USB. I hope this helped.

I can't believe the number of people that are talking about iPods being overpriced and then turning around and recommending the Cowon products. I'd never heard of them, and they look darn nice, but holy c***, talk about overpriced.

I really don't understand the, "I have all things Apple" mantra, but then I've also never understood any of those kind of rants. I tend to keep an open mind and buy the product that meets my requirements, no matter who it's made by.

OT: Getting a wireless remote that'll work the way you want it to is going to be tough, if not impossible. It would have to be RF, and most wireless remotes are IR (mainly because it's cheaper). Just keep that in mind if you find one with a remote.

Archived