A Run-in With Some Rocket Scientists

I'm going to say first off that any stings of *'s are simply things I've edited out as this is a copy/paste job from another forum I'm on, and I'm too lazy to retype it all.

So a friend and I are out riding outside Austin (Lime Creek Rd for the locals) a few weekends ago. There's a rather nice road out there I know pretty well. As he's never been down it before he was hanging pretty far back from me, but we were both making almost double the speed limit in most places. Being as this is a pretty nice place to ride/drive, it's not uncommon to run up on someone who's not riding as hard or fast as you are. We passed 20-30 BMWs, probably a drivers club, on our way down into the valley that the road snakes through.

Anyway, I digress...

So I come around a corner after a few miles of pretty aggressive riding and see a few guys riding sportbikes. They're big bikes, heavily customized (it wasn't until much later I figured out what they were), and they were being ridden rather slowly. The guy riding caboose was wearing Doc Martins, some cargo pants, a sweater, a leather vest, and a helmet of some sort. Ok, it's a sportbike club. But....why are they riding so slow? They might have been doing about 40 in areas I was doing 60 through, it was VERY obvious I wanted to/could go faster than they were. Did they let us by? No. Did he flag us around him? No. He did something even better. We came off a turn into a decent straight where I should have had plenty of time to pass, I kicked it down 2 gears and hit the gas hard enough to almost completely compress the rear suspension. There's NO WAY he didn't know I was trying to pass him. Seeing as I am approaching a pretty sharp corner at above-stupid speeds, I'm not paying a whole lot of attention to that guy. I start to slow, and initiate my turn in, check my shoulder and guess what...there's that freaking squid. Slow through the corners, almost fast on the straights, and no one gets by. *******. The distraction lasted about a second. Long enough to abort the turn (or I'd have slammed right into him at 60mph) and hammer the brakes. I'd hoped that I could slow enough to pull in behind him and get his *** on my way out of the next turn. My bike, however, had a completely different idea. For the first time EVER I locked up the rear tire on that VFR. Bike started chattering and shimmying all over the place. In the time it took to get that squared away, I completely blew the turn. If I wanted to make it, I could have...just in the oncoming lane. Not gonna go around a blind turn on a popular road in the wrong lane. Straight off the outside of the right hand turn. Managed to keep it upright and get it stopped, and the guy who did everything he could to keep me from passing slowed too, giving me the thumbs up. I dunno if he was laughing, or making sure I was ok. I don't really care, I was about ready to take his nice, loud, shiny, SLOW *** GSXR and shove it up his [long list of not so polite terms]. What a douchebag.

We sat on the side of the road for about 10 minutes so I could regain my composure and stop the twitching that accompanies massive adrenaline flow. Once we were back on the road it was business as usual, scrubbing away the lettering on the side of the tires. The road dead ends into another, with a small parkinglot at the intersection. All 9 of the guys in the club were there. I know we made up time on them, as half of them still had their helmets and headlights on. ALL of them were GSXRs, ALL of them had enough chrome to make a harley rider like them, and all of them had on next to no real gear. What a bunch of douchebags. One or two of them were pointing at me, and I can only guess what they said. So I did what any normal person would do, let the clutch out, floored it in 1st, flipped them off, and checked out of the area at about mach 5.

Never saw the idiots again. The next 100 or so miles of windy, curvy, twisty roads were taken at barely if at all legal speeds, there's absolutely no dust left on my tires, and I think I got the chickenstrips back down to the sidewalls again, where they haven't been since August wink.gif .

A few notes for everyone here - Yes, I know a fair bit of this incident was my fault. I should have just waited until we left the corner and tried to out run them. Problem is that I can't outrun a GSXR in a drag race, but I can generally out corner a freaking squid. The guy riding with me confirmed that once I was slightly infront of the guy he opened the throttle and stayed right beside me :rolleyes: . I hope he was a probie. If he was fully patched then that club really is a big joke.

If you're riding on a road you KNOW people like to fly down, and someone comes up on your tail like a bumper sticker, MOVE OVER. Unless you're being held up yourself, then it's obvious they're faster than you. Let them by before you get someone killed. If you're trying to do the passing, then be patient.

Hell, I almost wish they'd have given chase...the roads we were on would be a good place to see one of those morons fly off the side of the road. Chances are they'd end up a smear on the bottom of the lake bed.

Two words:

Track Day!

Tell me about it! I just wish I had the money. Truthfully, these 'spirited' rides are pretty rare. We just wanted to go out on a nice day and open it up a bit. It isn't my fault that the speedlimit is 30, and I can get a heads up on where the local PD is with but a single phone call....is it? It'd also be nice if there was a track I could go to that was within 150 miles of here.

• Member Contributer
Hell, I almost wish they'd have given chase...the roads we were on would be a good place to see one of those morons fly off the side of the road. Chances are they'd end up a smear on the bottom of the lake bed.

Maybe they did give chase. Based on the way you described their riding, once you got around them you'd never have seen them anyway.

• Member Contributer
Two words:

Track Day!

Tell me about it! I just wish I had the money. Truthfully, these 'spirited' rides are pretty rare. We just wanted to go out on a nice day and open it up a bit. It isn't my fault that the speedlimit is 30, and I can get a heads up on where the local PD is with but a single phone call....is it? It'd also be nice if there was a track I could go to that was within 150 miles of here.

There is a track called Harris Hill Road is in San Marcos. It's 22 miles from my house in downtown Austin. They typically run 2 or 3 track days a month thru Elite Track Days.

Limecreek is a goat path road, so tight you cant even get more than maybe 80mph briefly between the corners, also very dangerous with all the growth out there, used to be completely isolated and remote.

I used to ride it atleast once or twice everyweekend, not very often anymore

• Member Contributer

Something tell sme you're pretty upset? :beer:

I would LOVE to see his post on the GSXR forum :rolleyes:

Problem is that I can't outrun a GSXR in a drag race, but I can generally out corner a freaking squid. The guy riding with me confirmed that once I was slightly infront of the guy he opened the throttle and stayed right beside me ))))

Yeh, with the nastiesness of that road, the other guy was a dick for pressing the issue and not allowing you to complete the pass for the safety of everyone.

There is little room for error on that road, one tiny mistake and getting splattered by oncoming is that quick, Or if somebody is sliding though a corner, those down hill offcambers it can easliy happen.

Two words:

Track Day!

There is a track called Harris Hill Road is in San Marcos. It's 22 miles from my house in downtown Austin. They typically run 2 or 3 track days a month thru Elite Track Days.

So a quick google search told me that it's all of 3.2 miles from my house. Thats kinda crazy, never even heard of it before, and I used to ride out in that area all the time, never saw it. I will DEFINITELY be checking that place out. Thanks for the heads up.

• Member Contributer
A few notes for everyone here - Yes, I know a fair bit of this incident was my fault. I should have just waited until we left the corner and tried to out run them. Problem is that I can't outrun a GSXR in a drag race, but I can generally out corner a freaking squid. The guy riding with me confirmed that once I was slightly infront of the guy he opened the throttle and stayed right beside me :pissed: . I hope he was a probie. If he was fully patched then that club really is a big joke.

If you're riding on a road you KNOW people like to fly down, and someone comes up on your tail like a bumper sticker, MOVE OVER. Unless you're being held up yourself, then it's obvious they're faster than you. Let them by before you get someone killed. If you're trying to do the passing, then be patient.

Living in MI I don't get a chance to ride many twisties, and so when I do I want to get the most out of it, so I completely understand. However, watching the road, and other riders around you, no matter how dumb, is ALWAYS your responsibility. Especially since you already knew how much of a moron that squid was.

Just ride The Pace. I'm sure it's reprinted on here somewhere if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Riding is about having fun no matter what, beating adversity, not letting idiot squids get us down. If you had pulled over, taken a few pictures, had some lunch, etc, while they pulled miles and miles ahead, you'd have a good hour of relaxed riding before catching up to them, instead of an angry, dangerous ride.

--Ryan

I completely understand. Been there done that. If I have an inclination that someone is going to try to drag race me (chrome on a sportbike, no gear) I usually try to sneak up on them in a corner right before a straight then hammer it out of the corner and pass them before they are ready to hammer it for the straight. Seems to work pretty well for me.

How could you not hear a track 3.2 miles away?

Thats a pretty good question. There's no advertising for it anywhere on the main roads (not even the fairly major highway that passes within 1/4 mile of the track), it wasn't there last time I randomly rode down that road (which has been a while), and I don't have too many friends that ride enough out here to know about it. I've even turned to google looking for Tx track days and found several sites for tracks in DFW, or Houston, or down on the coast, but no word of anything out here in the middle of the state.

• Member Contributer

It's hotheads like you who give sport bikers a bad name. The previous comment about ThePace and letting the other group of riders move on ahead was right on! Your rash behavior could have cost TWO lives. If someone is going to be a "jerk" and keep you to the legal speed then it's up to you to keep a cool head and make some reasonable choices. No matter how stupid or squidly or whatever that other group was your behavior is totally embarrassing!! ... not to mention irresponsibly dangerous!!!

signed,

Mom

It's hotheads like you who give sport bikers a bad name. The previous comment about ThePace and letting the other group of riders move on ahead was right on! Your rash behavior could have cost TWO lives. If someone is going to be a "jerk" and keep you to the legal speed then it's up to you to keep a cool head and make some reasonable choices. No matter how stupid or squidly or whatever that other group was your behavior is totally embarrassing!! ... not to mention irresponsibly dangerous!!!

signed,

Mom

You're right, at the time I didn't think about just pulling off on the side of the road and waiting, might have if there was somewhere to pull off to, however. How could it have cost two lives? If he hadn't decided to force the issue and simply let me by, all would have been fine.

• Member Contributer

Jacka@@es will always behave like jacka@@es. Expect them to remain true to form and pull stuff like that. NEVER believe that they will be polite.

Glad no one went down during this event and lets not tear each other up here, but poor decessions were made by both riders involved that could have caused problems for either or both of you and even innocent oncommers on that road! None of it good! :laugh:

Be safe and smart out there guys & gals! :pissed: Take the time to do it right the first time!

I don't think that Trinith did anything most if not all of us have done. He passed a slower rider and exceeded the speed limit. The other guy was trying to be a jackass, what would you do in a situation like that? As far a giving the group the finger? You purposefully endanger my life because your ego is as big as your chrome bill you'll be lucky if all you get shot at you is a bird.

Limecreek is a goat path road, so tight you cant even get more than maybe 80mph briefly between the corners, also very dangerous with all the growth out there, used to be completely isolated and remote.

That's my memory of the road as well. I rode it once at normal speeds and didn't see the attraction. Never went back.

Archived