A Run-in With Some Rocket Scientists

but poor decessions were made by both riders involved that could have caused problems for either or both of you and even innocent oncommers on that road! None of it good! :laugh:

Thats kind of what I was getting at. Egos take over at a certain point, and things go downhill. What happened happened, I only posted this stuff up originally so that people could possibly learn from it. Never said I was in the right, we both screwed up in our own little ways.

Besides, I learned something valuable that day...how to offroad a streetbike across a pretty steep incline and not bite it. That had to be more luck than anything.

Man, I hate it when Mom chimes in... :pissed:

Are you kidding? Moms rule. Though if my real mom read that she'd drive out here and set me on fire, then beat me to death. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Just pull over and wait 15 minutes till road empties out. You must have some patience and stop taking risks when they are unnecessary. I was riding my TDM at Deals Gap with a KTM 950 adventure who was really riding strong, I passed him, he passed me, I passed back, fun ride, it was a totally great run..he passed some vespas, lol and a cager, I was right behind him, the cager kinda freaked out (why are cars at deals gap , anyway?) I passed fine with enough room to be fairly safe but I didn't like it, not worth the risk, its always the smarter idea to hang back rather than push into the unknown...you were probably like me, caught up in riding and limit pushing. Be safe, be patient, there is always room to pass later. And always remember, if you do piss someone off, never flip them off later, road rage=death on a mc....just ask the lady driver who pulled right out in front of me, then flips me the bird while turning into McDonalds drive thru...it got me riding down the sidewalk, backwards thru the drivethru and pounding on her pass window while I explained my position to her, she was dialing 911 on her cellphone which is good, she probably will never cut in front of a rider and flip them off again. I probably should have just parked and been the one on 911 reporting a dangerous driver...same type of stories, being patient will most always bring the best ending.

It's hotheads like you who give sport bikers a bad name. The previous comment about ThePace and letting the other group of riders move on ahead was right on! Your rash behavior could have cost TWO lives. If someone is going to be a "jerk" and keep you to the legal speed then it's up to you to keep a cool head and make some reasonable choices. No matter how stupid or squidly or whatever that other group was your behavior is totally embarrassing!! ... not to mention irresponsibly dangerous!!!

signed,

Mom

I agree!!!!

• Member Contributer

Sorry, but there is no excuse for blowing a turn like that. If they were going slower than you in the turns, you should have been able to make your turn and watch them crash in your mirrors or fall way back as they slowed. I usually try to keep a level head and just back off of assholes that won't let me pass, but when I do lose it a bit, I find it works well to just pass them on the inside of the next turn.

Limecreek is a goat path road, so tight you cant even get more than maybe 80mph briefly between the corners, also very dangerous with all the growth out there, used to be completely isolated and remote.

That's my memory of the road as well. I rode it once at normal speeds and didn't see the attraction. Never went back.

I call that road SuperMOto Alley full of tight blind corners, offcambers desending radious curves, up and down, I like the road alot, its just the enviornment has changed with more patroling ,traffic , population growth with multimillion dollar houses on the cliffs, sport car groups, sudivsion developements.

and then you have mc's that want to test how agressive they can ride it , its a nice cocktail mix for issue, Definitely I prefer off peak hours to ride it. >G< Buts its not on my main loope as it was a few years ago.

Limecreek is a goat path road, so tight you cant even get more than maybe 80mph briefly between the corners, also very dangerous with all the growth out there, used to be completely isolated and remote.

The road:

gallery_7423_1964_81497.jpg

Video: My brother and I riding Lime Creek Road between the rains in 2007. Gravel across the road everywhere.

Gives you an idea of the terrain and lack of room for mistakes.

Video: My brother and I riding Lime Creek Road between the rains in 2007. Gravel across the road everywhere.

Nice road. Lots of big sweepers. If they closed it for an Isle of Mann day it could be taken much much faster.

However dealing with the other traffic, you need to chill and live to ride another day. :cool:

Imho there were multiple squid in the original story. :laugh:

Not all on Chrome Busas either. :dry:

My God, chromed Eyeabusers, what are they thinking? :pissed:

its just the enviornment has changed

That's part of what I remember about it (been a few years). I recall too much traffic with lots of new homes, sand in the road, abundant entrances, a surface that was marginal in places and loaded with tar snakes. Beautiful area but I'd rather do my SPORT-touring elsewhere.

• Member Contributer

Actually read all the post on this subject. Can't expect all motorcyclist to have common sense or behave rationally just because you normally do. Gotta keep that cool head and choose the right spot to pass them or just hang back and laugh at their f-d up riding. I guess pulling off the road and waiting is not the first thought of a VFR rider as our bikes are so damn comfortable and fun to ride we usually only stop for basic needs.

Motorcycling is a big tent with room in it for posers as well as real riders. Don't let these clowns get you in trouble or ruin your ride. I'd have had a polite conversation with the guy on the GXR and walked away having gotten it off my chest. There is no excuse for not letting a faster rider pass but it happens all the time when you are dealing with egos. I'm really glad to hear you saved the bike and your skin. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. Let the posers do their thing and you just do yours.

its just the enviornment has changed

That's part of what I remember about it (been a few years). I recall too much traffic with lots of new homes, sand in the road, abundant entrances, a surface that was marginal in places and loaded with tar snakes. Beautiful area but I'd rather do my SPORT-touring elsewhere.

There's a lot of entrances, but it seems to me that the people in the area tend to expect someone to come around the corner and therefore spend a lot of time sitting at the edge of the road waiting. It's been repaved, mostly, and is in pretty good shape IMO. Since most of the construction has advanced now there's not much dirt in the road, but on one or two of the hairpins there can be gravel on the inside of the turn, where people cut it too close and end up dropping a tire off the road. It also helps to go in the early afternoon during the week, there's no one there. The traffic on the day in question was surprisingly light. Aside from the BMW group and the riders infront of us we probably only saw 10-12 other vehicles up there.

Let the posers do their thing and you just do yours.

Thats what I'll end up doing in the future.

• Member Contributer

Don't you just love it when you come up behind a vehicle in the twisties and they speed up significantly.

Seems to most always be pick up trucks. I used to find a safe place to pass, the blow them away. I think they want to see a sport bike go fast. Now, I just stay behind them to see how long it takes for them to get tired of over-driving the road and their own driving "skills". It seldom takes long.

Railing it in traffic is not a good way to stay healthy either....

Glad no one went down during this event and lets not tear each other up here, but poor decessions were made by both riders involved that could have caused problems for either or both of you and even innocent oncommers on that road! None of it good! :blush:

Be safe and smart out there guys & gals! :blink: Take the time to do it right the first time!

:huh: Exactly right!!

Thats kind of what I was getting at. Egos take over at a certain point, and things go downhill. What happened happened, I only posted this stuff up originally so that people could possibly learn from it. Never said I was in the right, we both screwed up in our own little ways.

Besides, I learned something valuable that day...how to offroad a streetbike across a pretty steep incline and not bite it. That had to be more luck than anything.

Really glad to hear that you were not hurt and that all ended "well". Also, very glad to read that you've taken an important lesson away from what must have been a really scary experience. :blink:

Don't you just love it when you come up behind a vehicle in the twisties and they speed up significantly.

Seems to most always be pick up trucks. I used to find a safe place to pass, the blow them away. I think they want to see a sport bike go fast. Now, I just stay behind them to see how long it takes for them to get tired of over-driving the road and their own driving "skills". It seldom takes long.

Railing it in traffic is not a good way to stay healthy either....

:blink:

... from what must have been a really scary experience. :blink:

I sat on the side of the road for a while, waiting for the twitching to end. It was definitely a hair-raising experience.

Sorry, but there is no excuse for blowing a turn like that. If they were going slower than you in the turns, you should have been able to make your turn and watch them crash in your mirrors or fall way back as they slowed.

:blink:

I've done my share of passing on the road

I use to like taking my dual sport there and play with the cbr guys , the road really leveled the playing field alot

Also one time there was kind of a sport bike meet there, at the top of the road was 12 riders in hand cuff, I just putted quietly by.

You know after that is seemed like sportbiking in the area really dropped off

Archived