Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Peto

• Member Contributer

I haven't done a ton of research yet on these. There are a whole bunch of different systems available for motorcycles. Here is the SmarTire system; it looks pretty good:

http://www.vulcantire.com/smartire_mc_sys.htm

The last few seasons I have noticed how significanly tire pressures affect your ride. I have become religious about checking tire pressures.

Install this thing in a nice factory-like location and you always know what your pressures/temps are (Some even give you current HP and MPH). You can set it for, say, -3 psi and the display which normally cycles front/rear pressures, will flash a red alert on the display and tell you the tire. This is super valuable info to have; I ran over a screw last year and was riding aroudn for hours wondering what the heck was wrong with ME. I ended up going home thinking I was having an off day. The next morning I noticed the pancake tire. I could have easily broken the bead and gone down. If it had been my front tire, it would have been even worse.

No need to check your tires (and lose a few psi in the process) every ride. When you park your bike the night before you will know the pressure. If its down a bit, the next ride you break out the pump before mounting up.

This particular system is nice because it installs nside the rim on the center 'rut' as opposed to a big transmitter on your valve stem. You just have to be careful removing the second bead, and installing the first bead.

Any thoughts you farkle maniacs?

• Member Contributer

Cool idea but a simplier and cheaper way to go would be to get your tires filled with Nitrogen. That's what I am doing this winter. I have bought tires from costco( for my cage) and they use Nitrogen at no extra charge to fill their tires. It has been 3 years since i bought my snow tires from them and sitting out in the heat of summer I have not had to add one lb of pressure to them.

Like I said I'm getting costco to fill my bike tires with Nitrogen and be done with it.

I'm sure it's not around anymore but a couple of years ago there was a thread about filling your tires with nitrogen and most that responded seemed to think that the nitrogen thing was a bunch of hog wash. Besides what do you do if you are forever raising and lowering your PSI like I do?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I heard about Nitrogen too. Not a bad idea. It makes sense (larger molecules). But they still do loose air. Most of what I read says about half the speed of regular air. This is good for your cages, but I am pretty particular about a few psi in my bike.

Also, I change my own tires to avoid bringing them anywhere and I have an electric air pump already in my bike.

Additionally, if something happens, like you get a puncture, Nitrogen ain't going to help nor alert you something is wrong.

And, as Gap Trash mentioned, people who change their pressures a lot..

Goldwing forums? :biggrin: hey man, I just turned 30. j/k

This maybe an ignorant question, but what are the benefits of nitrogen in tires? Is it just the fact that it leaks out of tires at a slower rate? Ambient air is ~78% nitrogen already.

Roger

one thing I can tell you:

I realize that Peto's suggestion does not apply BUT

Check for free play when putting on a valve stem or anything else on your stem as our rear caliper sits dead centre and will shear the extra bit off. Ask me how I know.

• Member Contributer
This maybe an ignorant question, but what are the benefits of nitrogen in tires? Is it just the fact that it leaks out of tires at a slower rate? Ambient air is ~78% nitrogen already.

Roger

thats it.

• Member Contributer
one thing I can tell you:

I realize that Peto's suggestion does not apply BUT

Check for free play when putting on a valve stem or anything else on your stem as our rear caliper sits dead centre and will shear the extra bit off. Ask me how I know.

yup.

a lot of the TPMS have large sensor/valve things that would never clear the caliper. This system becomes part of the inside of your wheel. Nothing to shear off or for someone to 'claim'.

The display is small too it can mount similar to how VFRD'ers do their voltmeters.

chit, I monitor my altimeter when riding in the mountains, I am sure knowing my tire pressures at all times would be at least as useful. :biggrin: :fing02:

Have not done any reasearch on these yet, but am very interested.... anyone have links to the Goldwing crowd research or other brands? Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Smart Tire makes a system for motorcycles. Standard LED display. I have never used it personally but Smart Tire is a leader in tire pressure monitoring systems. I would have probably ordered one by now if I didn't lose my shirt on Smart Tire stock! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Cool idea but a simplier and cheaper way to go would be to get your tires filled with Nitrogen.

Consumer Reports did a test of nitrogen vs. air in tires. There was a small difference but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Dirk

• Member Contributer
Smart Tire makes a system for motorcycles. Standard LED display. I have never used it personally but Smart Tire is a leader in tire pressure monitoring systems. I would have probably ordered one by now if I didn't lose my shirt on Smart Tire stock! :biggrin:

Thats the system I am referring to - see the link in the first post.

Haven't price shopped at all yet either...

• Forum CEO

My buddy Dan just graduated as an electrical engineer his project was to build a tire monitoring system using RF_ID rather than the bulky battery packs used in the current models, an rf signal is sent to the small sensors inside the tires and a small pressure sensitive chip would relay the info back. I dont know how he came out with that one, using Atmel rf_id chip technology where we both work. I think the wheels shielded the rf too much, sounded like a great idea - no battieries for the pressure sensors.

• Member Contributer

I'm just saying that in 3 years ive had these snow tires they have stayed right at 30 psi . That's why I'm going the nitrogen route. I'm very anal about my tire pressure on the bike and never deviate from the manufacturer's settings so it's worth a shot imho.

Cool idea but a simplier and cheaper way to go would be to get your tires filled with Nitrogen.

Consumer Reports did a test of nitrogen vs. air in tires. There was a small difference but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Dirk

• Member Contributer

I went for a ride yesterday. A quick spin around the local roads before the ICE and SNOW hits our area. I was not comfortable with all my gear on. I was warm but my big gloves cut down on the feel and the feedback from the controls and the seat of my pants kept me from pushing things. I was only out for 90 minutes.

When I got back my back tire went flat as I stood and watched. I picked up a screw at some point and was losing air the whole time. I was only gone a short while. Perfect air pressure when I left. DEAD FLAT when I got back.

An air pressure monitoring system might have saved my life, but i got home in time to "dodge a bullet".

Day to day? I use the tire pressure gauge. Out on a ride? Trust your instincts when the back end gets a little loose. I thought it was tire temperature and the cold roads that was making me back off in the middle of long smooth sweepers. If I had gone for and all day ride I would have been stuck making repairs along side the road. In the cold.

The monitoring system looks good to me.

Brian

• Member Contributer

TPMS is one of the reasons I'm getting a 2009 Goldwing instead of a leftover 2008 (2008 would be cheaper). All 2009 Goldwings come standard with TPMS. It will alert you if your pressure drops by 10%. The whole idea is to prevent crashes. You may not feel a loss of pressure when going straight down the road, but if you then go into a curve and lean the bike over, the tire may not be able to support the shift to the sidewall.

The new Kawasaki Concours 1400 has TPMS that actually shows the tire pressure readings (42 lbs, etc.).

On a bike as big as the Goldwing (add my wife and luggage), I think it's a great safety feature.

ki-speed (Mark)

• Member Contributer
You may not feel a loss of pressure when going straight down the road, but if you then go into a curve and lean the bike over, the tire may not be able to support the shift to the sidewall.

Excellent example.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
TPMS is one of the reasons I'm getting a 2009 Goldwing instead of a leftover 2008 (2008 would be cheaper). All 2009 Goldwings come standard with TPMS. It will alert you if your pressure drops by 10%. The whole idea is to prevent crashes. You may not feel a loss of pressure when going straight down the road, but if you then go into a curve and lean the bike over, the tire may not be able to support the shift to the sidewall.

The new Kawasaki Concours 1400 has TPMS that actually shows the tire pressure readings (42 lbs, etc.).

On a bike as big as the Goldwing (add my wife and luggage), I think it's a great safety feature.

ki-speed (Mark)

I wonder if the Goldwing system can be adapted to the VFR using OEM parts? That would be a great options (or even the C-14 for that matter). I just bought a new Chrysler and it also has a TPMS that is (supposedly) accurate to within +/- 3 psi, but it only gives a warning light, not psi readout.

The RF_ID tags would be a great option if they were made to function reliably, I am sure it won't be too long before someone works the kinks out of a system like that.

• Member Contributer

are dumb....

My dad's Mazda 3 came with TPMS and it really isn't that great. I suppose if you never want to check your tire pressure it would be a great idea, but I try to check it every week or so, its good practice. Also, when you take the wheel off the car, you have to go through a 15-20 minute process to reprogram the TPMS. Now with our winter tires, we didn't get the sensors in the wheels for the low price of 200-300 dollars, so we have a light on the dash that is always on.

• 1 month later...

there is a difference between the 'idiot light' TPMS and the aftermarket ones. The aftermaket TPMS actually give you a PSI not just a warning light. i think they are a great idea and will be investing in one when these tires are replaced. its not just for lazy reasons i.e. 'i dont wanna be bothered to check the pressures before a ride' its for WHILE you are out on your ride safety reasons like the two examples from above. has anybody bought one yet?

Archived