Nasty Helmet Graphics

Beck

I don't know if it's just me, but the lately the graphics on most helmets are just really bad. I went to a big bike accessory store the other day and 90 percent of the helmets they have had the nastiest looking graphics and colors. Why does everything now have to look like as if a tatto parlor designed them. Crazy swirls, dragons, cartoon figures, scenes that look like they're from dungeons and dragons, comic scenes. swords, girly paisley paterns, hotrod flames, Just way overdone stuff. Why can't we get nice tight looking graphics instead that show off the shapes on the helmet instead of acting like a camouflage pattern. I can see why the young 18 year old rider might identify with these graphics which i see on a lot of college kid's t-shirts (including my nephew), but not all of us are that young. And I thought we all got sick of this kind of graphics when the whole tribal style thing finally went away a few years ago.

Beck

95 VFR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what's up with the styling on the new bikes?! they all look like insects...

Check out the new Kaw. ZX-10. It looks great in photos, but in person the front end looks very bug-like.

I don't mind the graphics on helmets so much, but some of them are way over the top. I think most of the top helmet mfrs still make fairly plain lids in some models, but the stores seem to mostly carry the "busy" versions.

• Member Contributer
I don't know if it's just me, but the lately the graphics on most helmets are just really bad. I went to a big bike accessory store the other day and 90 percent of the helmets they have had the nastiest looking graphics and colors. Why does everything now have to look like as if a tatto parlor designed them.

It's not just you. There doesn't seem to be much in between solid colors and psychadelic. I like my Arai RX-7 Spencer replica but I trashed it in a crash during a race a few weeks ago. I had to buy that one from a guy in Japan because they aren't available in the US. Since I bought it, Arai started cracking down on people selling them on EBay/etc. so now I can't replace it. I'm going to have to buy a white one and have it painted. It would be nice if Arai (and others) would offer a few designs that were in between bland and things that look like something exploded on the painting line.

_igp2239_small.jpg

• Member Contributer
(we're getting older my friend!) :fing02:

...........tick, tick, tick, tick....................... :fing02:

I don't know if it's just me, but the lately the graphics on most helmets are just really bad. I went to a big bike accessory store the other day and 90 percent of the helmets they have had the nastiest looking graphics and colors. Why does everything now have to look like as if a tatto parlor designed them. Crazy swirls, dragons, cartoon figures, scenes that look like they're from dungeons and dragons, comic scenes. swords, girly paisley paterns, hotrod flames, Just way overdone stuff. Why can't we get nice tight looking graphics instead that show off the shapes on the helmet instead of acting like a camouflage pattern. I can see why the young 18 year old rider might identify with these graphics which i see on a lot of college kid's t-shirts (including my nephew), but not all of us are that young. And I thought we all got sick of this kind of graphics when the whole tribal style thing finally went away a few years ago.

Beck

95 VFR

:rolleyes:

I really want to buy a Shoei RF-1000, but for that money I want graphics, and all their designs are crap, IMO.

• Member Contributer
I don't know if it's just me, but the lately the graphics on most helmets are just really bad.

Beck

95 VFR

:rolleyes: Thats why I painted mine, simple, but it matches the bike

gallery_10463_2879_1708075.jpg

vfr 011.jpg

AS A NOT SO OLD GUY, I STILL AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE CRAZY DESIGNS. I HAVE A FEW HELMETS, AND MOST OF THEM ARE SIMPLE. I JUST WEAR THEM BASED OFF OF MOOD AND WHICH BIKE I AM RIDING...

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

:rolleyes:

I really want to buy a Shoei RF-1000, but for that money I want graphics, and all their designs are crap, IMO.

Comp A is selling quite a few graphix Shoei RF - 1000 helmets for $299.99. Jeez I spent $350 for my solid silver.

MD

• Member Contributer

Beck,

you took the words right out my mouth.

After I tried and failed to find a flip-up helmet (funnily all of them were available in mono only), I started looking for a "normal" helmet..

Man there are so many fugly designs out there......

Couldn't bring myself to fork out a fortune on a Joey Dunlop replica, so went for a Mick Doohan Jubilee.

Yep, flashy striping, but with a heritage!!!

• Member Contributer

To those in this thread that have talked about painting their helmets, what is involved, did you use an airbrush? What kind of paint is safe for helmets? Anyone care to show off some design work that they're proud of?

If I ever find a helmet that I'm really happy with, I've been thinking this might be a way to go, since I don't see that many graphics I like either although there have been a few but something else turned me off on the helmet in question.

• Member Contributer
To those in this thread that have talked about painting their helmets, what is involved, did you use an airbrush? What kind of paint is safe for helmets? Anyone care to show off some design work that they're proud of?

If I ever find a helmet that I'm really happy with, I've been thinking this might be a way to go, since I don't see that many graphics I like either although there have been a few but something else turned me off on the helmet in question.

The one you see in my Avator (donated it to Shoei after it became too old to wear) was done by a company http://www.bikepaints.co.uk/index.htm#Links

I don't know if it's just me, but the lately the graphics on most helmets are just really bad.

Beck

95 VFR

:dry: Thats why I painted mine, simple, but it matches the bike

Digging the helmet AND the blue wheels, Cruz! :rolleyes:

I wear an HJC AC-12 Carbon in the "Vader" design, which is basically naked carbon fiber with some non-very-flashy silver stripes. I love it, tho I would have bought the "Elbowz" RWB/Carbon scheme if it had been on sale like mine was.

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

:dry: Thats why I painted mine, simple, but it matches the bike

gallery_10463_2879_1708075.jpg

vfr 011.jpg

That looks really nice :rolleyes:

gallery_285_20_296437.jpg

2 6 05 pics 021.jpg

If you look at my helmets you can see that the wildest looking helmets I have graphic-wise is the Checa repilca from X-lite and the Tribal pattern Dainese Evo1. They're my newest helmets but guess what, I still end up preferring to be seen in my old Dainese Ergon 1 or my ancient Shoei X-8 Rainey. Yes, I do need a new helmet already, judging from the age of these, but When will a manufacturer come up with something with graphics that I would at least like??

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Digging the helmet AND the blue wheels, Cruz! :dry:

I wear an HJC AC-12 Carbon in the "Vader" design, which is basically naked carbon fiber with some non-very-flashy silver stripes. I love it, tho I would have bought the "Elbowz" RWB/Carbon scheme if it had been on sale like mine was.

Thanx guys, Tim, Elbowz helmet??? I haven't seen that one,, got a link?

Digging the helmet AND the blue wheels, Cruz! :dry:

I wear the Carbon as well and love it it is so light and the styling si very nice to look at.

Here is a link to the Elbowz helmet, a little to flashy for me and there is no different from this one to the noremal AC-12 carbon except the elbowz is about 200 more

http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,87966.html?AFF=690FGL

That looks really nice :ph34r:
Digging the helmet AND the blue wheels, Cruz! :cool:

I wear the Carbon as well and love it it is so light and the styling si very nice to look at.

Here is a link to the Elbowz helmet, a little to flashy for me and there is no different from this one to the noremal AC-12 carbon except the elbowz is about 200 more

http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,87966.html?AFF=690FGL

Not really my type, but the elbowz graphics does look pretty good and not too wild.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Shoei just re-released a Lawson replica helmet. I have the original at home. (100% shelf duty only)

2007_Shoei_X-Eleven_Lawson_Replica_Helmet_Lawson.jpg

Thinking about buying this one, or an Icon Airframe, downside of the air frame,,, gotta paint it. sad.gif

I like the elbowz, but more white on the Shoei, and white, in the desert is your friend

And what's up with the styling on the new bikes?! they all look like insects, what happened to the clean lines of say, a 4th gen VFR?

(we're getting older my friend!) :ph34r:

Not to start a flame war, but a friend of mine who was with me when I went test riding a new 6th Gen VFR said to me "That thing looks like an alien love child with buck teeth"... laughed my ass off and had to agree.

on the helmet front, Arai has just released a Phil Read replica that looks classy and not bland.

Phil Read Replica

Shoei just re-released a Lawson replica helmet. I have the original at home. (100% shelf duty only)

Thinking about buying this one, or an Icon Airframe, downside of the air frame,,, gotta paint it. sad.gif

I like the elbowz, but more white on the Shoei, and white, in the desert is your friend

Be careful of the Airframe, I was close to buying it till I gat a chance to put it on, when you put it on it can give you what I have found is called a fish bowl effect. Most Icon helmets that I have tried on makes my head look HUGE!!!!! Granted I am really short but I got to measure the circumfrence of the icon and the HJC and there was a huge difference, but on the positive side ICON helmets are very well made and a lot of great features that are hard to find in a helmet.

Now for a lot of you looking fo ra nice plain helmet do not forget about Akuma Helmets www.akumahelmets.com awesome technology and some cool designs!

• Member Contributer

Be careful of the Airframe, I was close to buying it till I gat a chance to put it on, when you put it on it can give you what I have found is called a fish bowl effect. Most Icon helmets that I have tried on makes my head look HUGE!!!!! Granted I am really short but I got to measure the circumfrence of the icon and the HJC and there was a huge difference, but on the positive side ICON helmets are very well made and a lot of great features that are hard to find in a helmet.

Now for a lot of you looking fo ra nice plain helmet do not forget about Akuma Helmets www.akumahelmets.com awesome technology and some cool designs!

Thanx, I still haven't gotten to even SEE an Air Frame in person yet, but you are the 2nd person with that opinion of them, I am looking for a good summer helmet, gets a lil toasty here for a couple a months :ph34r:

Archived