Lobster's Trip South

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_1904_3880_1445726.jpg

I hope you don't find this report boring. I'll try to keep it filled with many pictures and only few words about the highlights. This was my first long trip solo and my first long trip without some very detailed agenda items and roads to hit. The plan was to get out of dodge and just relax with the VFR, some good roads, and some good tunes.

I did offer every motorcycle buddy I have to go with me and nobody accepted...hmm...BMV, Rivcyko...to name a few.

Anyway the plan was to head south on Thursday and get to about Knoxville, TN. It began raining on me about Dayton, OH and rained like hell all the way through KY and into TN. Once it got dark I had to get off the highway as I realized it was dangerous to tuck in behind a truck so the trailer lights would shine on the road for me.

Friday I had the Gap and Cherahola Skyway planned on my route to Atlanta to stay with my cousin. Morning sunshine in Knoxville turned again to rain and I had a soggy gap all to myself.

gallery_1904_3880_868319.jpg

very wet day at the gap...

The Skyway gets up to about 5000 feet and I think the clouds were at about 4000 feet when I went through. It was 46 degrees, rain, wind, fog...still couldn't see. I had to ride at about 20mph with my visor up to see where I was going. This is vacation? It friggin sucked so far. The silver lining here was seeing a bunch of Harley Dudes, dressed very lightly, cruising up to the top of the Skyway as I was headed down...I had to chuckle. I also decide to ride TN 68 south into Georgia and this is one awesome road. Loads of fun with low traffic...an absolute delight.

My buddy is trying to collect a Harley t shirt from every state in the union. I love pulling up at a dealer on my Honda and going inside to buy one...the guy behind the bike in this picture told me his buddy has "one of those" and if he eats at one more buffet, he'll never be able to ride it!

gallery_1904_3880_535849.jpg

a rose among thorns...

Saturday I planned to go to Birmingham, AL to see a buddy's son who plays Bassoon in the Birmingham Alabama Symphony Orchestra. How many bikers do you know go the freaking symphony on their bike trips. Please don't revoke my biker card... The symphony was good and hanging out with the young musician crowd afterwards was equally entertaining. If you ever want to feel less than smart, I have the group for you to hang out with!

Here I am above the city of Birmingham...

.gallery_1904_3880_18209.jpg

DSC04478.JPG

On the way to Birmingham I rode through part of the Talladega National Forest. Hit routes 49 and 46...awesome. I got off the highway at Heflin, AL...I think the site of some recent tornados...it looked like a war zone.

gallery_1904_3880_1278968.jpg

DSC04475.JPG

gallery_1904_3880_279901.jpg

DSC04477.JPG

I stopped at a Harley dealer in Jackson, MS and they just happened to be having their annual Trail of Honor. This was cool. They had three army helicopters there, they were doing battle re-enactments out back, and they had the entire inside of the dealership turned into a museum. I met a Pearl Harbor Survivor, one of the Tuskeegee Airmen, an 82nd Airborne Trooper who dropped on DDay and a couple of the Navajo Code Talkers. I then went out and bought a ride on a Vietnam era Huey Chopper...that was cool...

You can just make out my yellow bike right under the orange car parked outside the gas station...

gallery_1904_3880_801105.jpg

DSC04482.JPG

gallery_1904_3880_692189.jpg

DSC04508.JPG

The next couple days I just spent bombing around the Ozarks. I rode the Pig Trail, the Talimena Skyway, went to Mt Magazine (the highest point in AR) and just generally fooled around. I was also able to meet Earnie (VFRURKNEE) for breakfast one morning on his way to work...and he even bought! Thanks Earnie. The picture he took of me was apparently up on the home page for a few hours, but I never saw it...

I also stopped for lunch at the Mt. Judea Eagle Crest diner...thanks to Slammer and Dutchinterceptor...the roads leading there are quite fun and TECHNICAL!

Sometimes I wish I could tape record the conversations I have with people when I'm out on the bike. (Remember the guy at the gas station, Trav?) Anyway, I'm in Mount Ida, AR for a gas / snack break, when this guy walks up to me to tell me how much he likes my bike. He then proceeds to tell me he's from Chicago (with a southern accent?) and then he starts going on and on about his wife(s) and how he used to be a boxer..."you can still see the remnants of my guns...I used to have 19.5 inch arms". Then it's on to my jacket. He tells me he used to be quite a trouble maker, but he thinks my jacket is cool so he can tell right away that we would have gotten along fine. Then he asks me if I have a woman "back in the lick"? WTF? I simply can't do this conversation justice, but it would have been great on YouTube...

gallery_1904_3880_688801.jpg

DSC04518.JPG

gallery_1904_3880_1445726.jpg

DSC04523.JPG

gallery_1904_3880_71012.jpg

DSC04529.JPG

I then found my way over to Clarksville, TN to see my Uncle on the way home. However, I made quite the error in map judgement as I was trying to cross the Mississippi. I thought I could take some old farm roads and cross the river from the Missouri side to Tiptonville, TN. I got a real big clue when I passed the two Dead End signs and then I'm looking at the river...yep...you guessed it...no bridge. So I park and get off the bike behind these good old boys fishing for Catfish.

gallery_1904_3880_446422.jpg

DSC04536.JPG

gallery_1904_3880_277835.jpg

DSC04535.JPG

The guys were totally cool and of course told me "there aint never been no bridge here". Then the one guy tells me it's a shame he doesn't have his boat here 'cause he would just put my bike in the boat and take me across 'cause there's a ramp right on the other side. I just looked at the guy and said, "That would have made for one hell of a story..." I just shot the bull with them for about 30 minutes and then took off. After telling my family this story they are convinced I'm lucky I didn't end up in the 2008 version of Deliverance, but I think these are the kind of cool stories that make trips like this fun.

Them's the highlights. I hope you enjoyed it. Now where to go next year...

• Member Contributer

Now that sounds like a good time! One thing I enjoy most on my trips is chatting with the locals....as long as they aren't playing banjos!

Nicely done!

Maybe next year you can come to the south and stay at my place in FL Lobster. Wouldn't mind hanging out again.

If I get hired in where I am working right now, I plan on taking a week by myself and disappearing somewhere. Maybe we can plan it together.

Later,

Jeff

Now that sounds like a good time! One thing I enjoy most on my trips is chatting with the locals....as long as they aren't playing banjos!

Nicely done!

:fing02: Good job dude! :biggrin:

God Write and great pictures. boy i remember my first big trip to NC from NJ in one day and for the first 7 hours it rained. I was saying the same thing:)

Great report Larry. Those are the stories you'll remember for a long time. Kind of like when a couple of locals tried to jump me in Northern Georgia once. You must have met nicer people.

• Member Contributer

Nicely done. Wish I had known you were going to be in my neck of the woods. I could put ya up for a night or maybe ridden with you for a day.

Nice report and trip Larry. :laugh:

Too bad you didn't have the Quest for the trip as it would have showed you that there's only two places to cross the Miss. river into TN. :laugh:

There might be a fairy crossing or two though?

• Member Contributer

Great write up and pics Larry........two bridges, and two ferrys over the Mississippi River into Tn. One of the ferrys I was told has been discontinued (not sure though.... :warranty: ) One of the large buildings behind you in the Birmingham picture is where my Son works until the end of next month, he starts as VP for World Wide Operations for Campbell (soup folks) Foods, and is moving to Pennsylvania.

Glad you enjoyed your trip......nothing beats a good motorcycle tour............... :goofy: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great write up and pics Larry. How did KK rack work for you? You heading up north any time soon?

• Member Contributer

Geebus H. What the he!! kind of s#!tty ride report was that? LOL. J/K.

Honestly, that was VERY COOL. Should have shouted to the trash brothers and Sam. I really do wish I could have gone, but with the bills, AND NEW JOB,...(yay)! George W. hasn't stimulated my econ-nomis, and it would have taken more than that, to support the trip. Glad you got to meet some more members, too!!!! Sounds like a blast!

• Member Contributer

Nice trip and RR, I always find chatting with people when on the road one of the highlights of any trip, especially when you are on your own, more people seem willing to just shoot the breeze with you, maybe you seem more approachable when you're alone. Anyway looks like you had a great time, shame about the weather in the gap area.

• Member Contributer
Great write up and pics Larry. How did KK rack work for you? You heading up north any time soon?

The KK rack worked like a charm. As you can see I added the Givi V46 case. Install of everything was a snap and it stayed tight and secure the whole trip. It was nice to know at least something was waterproof...

...and for anyone out there considering it, you truly cannot even tell that thing is back there...

Not sure about heading north. I may have blown all my Kitchen Passes on this trip!

Glad you had a great trip Larry! If timing was better I'd have happily joined you. Also glad the rack worked well - thats a good test of it for sure.

:fing02:

Larry, that was sweet. Great ride. Thanks for the invite! Sorry I couldn't make it.

Depending on the weather this weekend, might head up to my father-in-law's place. For the fall, do you think you might have a kitchen pass saved??

Be well Brother. You deserved that breakaway!

Mike.

:warranty: :goofy:

The 'Wings look good!!

• Member Contributer
Larry, that was sweet. Great ride. Thanks for the invite! Sorry I couldn't make it.

Depending on the weather this weekend, might head up to my father-in-law's place. For the fall, do you think you might have a kitchen pass saved??

Be well Brother. You deserved that breakaway!

Mike.

:warranty: :goofy:

The 'Wings look good!!

Mike, you bastage!!! At least I don't feel so bad, for not going now. LOL. It's all your fault. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

Good write up Larry! It was a pleasure to get to meet you. Next meal is on either you or Tightwad.smile.gif

I tried to attach the pic but there is some kind of error. Anyway, glad you made it home safely and relatively dry.

Archived