Sans Exhaust

vfrqqq

Question

• Member Contributer

Okay, so I've taken my exhaust of the VFR for probably the fifth time now (long story) and I can't help thinking that even at modest revs the VFR is no louder than a Harley or similar cruiser bike with straight pipes. Aside from the fact that I am absolutely in love with the V-8 small block-like sound that emanates from the CAT I can't in good conscience go around making this much noise, however for the time being, since I am without an exhaust now, I am considering cruising around without an exhaust until I can purchase something. Obviously I won't be going around at WOT, but I'll be on the highway at 70 mph which will be relatively loud. My real concern is that EVEN THOUGH the VFR is almost guaranteed quieter than a cruiser hog with straight pipes I think it is also nearly GUARANTEED that side-by-side on the road with a cruiser, a LEO would pull me over first for too much noise.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else goes around without an exhaust.

• Member Contributer

Well considering how annoyed I get about people with obnoxiously loud exhausts and the idiot wanna-be cage racers on the road that speed around my neighborhood it would be pretty hypocritical to do it. Plus my wife doesn't want me to do it.

Although it isn't that much louder than a gutted stock exhaust.

Anyway, I'll just have to get a new system.

• Member Contributer

When I take off my staintune to polish it, I sometimes start my 5th gen with no muffler on it. Sounds like a damn nascar in the garage. Sounds awesome for about 1 minute, but after that I can't hear much.

• Member Contributer
When I take off my staintune to polish it, I sometimes start my 5th gen with no muffler on it. Sounds like a damn nascar in the garage. Sounds awesome for about 1 minute, but after that I can't hear much.

CAN YOU SPEAK UP A LITTLE? I CAN'T HEAR YA!!!!!!!!

tongue.gif

I rode my bike around for 10 miles when I was changing out the exhaust. It was stupid loud and bad for our sport. It is every bit as loud as any straight pipe harley. My ears were ringing even with ear plugs.

Dont do it.

• Member Contributer

If you just want attention, get a mohawk for your helmet. It's a lot quieter and much less annoying (just ball busting, 'cause I like a little exhaust noise, too). :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

When I gutted my exhuast, I rode it for about 4 miles from my place to the garage that I had weld the endcaps back on for me. So, I had the cans on, but nothing in them and no endcaps. Even that was just rediculously loud for me. Just about every single person I passed--other cars, pedestrians, you name it--turned to see what the freakin racket was. There is no way I could stand to ride around with that much noise eminating from my machine... it was cool for a few minutes, but started to get annoying pretty damn quick.

I can't imagine how loud just a straight open pipe must be...

• Member Contributer
Ok now I want to hear what it sounds like! :laugh:

Seriously if you just imagine exactly what a small-block V-8 sounds like it is almost identical, which is amazing considering it's just coming from this little motorcycle and not a big iron sled. :biggrin:

It really does sound like a basically open header smalll block stock car engine. If we all did this they would ban VFR's next week.

If you did run it with no mufflers, I wonder how lt would until your pant or boot caught on fire fron the coneverter. 1000f degrees is kind of warm.

• Member Contributer
If you did run it with no mufflers, I wonder how lt would until your pant or boot caught on fire fron the coneverter. 1000f degrees is kind of warm.

If you are going to run open pipes, might as well get rid of the cat too.

If you are going to run open pipes, might as well get rid of the cat too.

Hell yeah just cut the whole thing off. All you nedd are 12 inch header pipes.

• Member Contributer
Do it do it do it. But stay the hell away from my house.

:biggrin:

LOUD PIPES!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE LOUD! :laugh:

Most insanely loud bike exhaust I've ever heard, outside of the MotoGP bikes when I saw them at Laguna in '06: my chopped exhaust on my F4i! Crazy loud, lost lots of power and torque too... took one very short ride, went back home quickly. Now it's just sitting in my toolbox for the occasional giggle...

june5047.jpg

june5046.jpg

june5045.jpg

june5044.jpg

Here's my bike, as is from the guy I bought it from. He was very proud of the "custom exhaust" that a shop had made for it, and went on and on about how much more horesepower it added. I said,uh..."custom exhaust?...loks like no exhaust to me, buddy!"

I'm still looking for a pipe to put on before I start riding it round, but the xshort trip over to my buddy's place was pretty freakin loud. It does sound a lot like a MotoGP bike, though.... :P

Image013.jpg

Archived