Death Valley In A Day

gallery_2082_3648_102723.jpg

Well, I realized that I'd lived in las vegas for 3 years and not really explored death valley at all. I had driven down to the welcome sign with relatives but never gone very far in. 70's were expected and I had the day off so why not? I headed out 160 toward pahrump, a horrible town that should be avoided at all costs. I did avoid it by turning sw to head towards Tecopa. I heard there was a hot springs there and wanted to check it out for future trips with my wife. The road out is called old spanish highway and looks like one of those 'road to nowhere' type of things....

The town itself is tiny and consists of a few buildings, a RV park bigger than the town itself, and a sign for the hot springs which I didn't bother to investigate judging by how ghetto the rest of the town was.

gallery_2082_3648_82092.jpg

Just north of Tecopa is the quaint little village of shoshone. It has a few small but well maintained touristy buildings including the all important gas station. There were a ton of bikes here, including this group which I believe came from the bay area. At least one ironbutt rider in the group and lots of bimmers.

gallery_2082_3648_127803.jpg

Oh yes, the gas. If you do have to fill up here be prepared to be bent over.....

gallery_2082_3648_139956.jpg

In case you're wondering why the gas is so expensive this should explain. Supply and demand.....

gallery_2082_3648_123423.jpg

Now I rode into death valley proper. Those park fees and taxes pay for nice signs. I took the road less travelled (actually they're all pretty 'less travelled' out here) which is 178. It turns into badwater road later on. I chose it because it had the most squiggles when I looked at the map.

gallery_2082_3648_63850.jpg

As you ride through the park there are all kinds of turnouts to look at the scenery and historic sites.

gallery_2082_3648_155197.jpg

The valley itself is vast. The scenery isn't always beautiful. In fact its often ugly, but the sheer scale of it is impressive and kind of comforting. For a lot of the trip I saw very few people which is exactly what I needed today. The roads weren't all in great condition and you need to look out for gravel. This isn't a place to rip through at track speeds but it flows decently and there were no major hunks missing or potholes.

gallery_2082_3648_51243.jpg

This is the actual landmark called badwater. I assume because the small pool that was here probably isn't drinkable. There was a full parking lot including a tour bus. People were all walking out into the desert. I don't know why, as far as I could see there wasn't a damn thing out there except maybe the most misreable place in the US. (or lowest point or something)

gallery_2082_3648_106505.jpg

Onward to furnace creek! I didn't actually see a creek, but I did find this fire truck hidden behind a building.

gallery_2082_3648_92238.jpg

Also, someone was crazy enough to build a resort out here. I guess it has a golf course and everything. It looked nice on the outside.

gallery_2082_3648_84910.jpg

I stopped to gas up by the furnace creek ranch and talked to a guy on a touring busa. That looked fun and pretty comfy too. He mentioned that there was a BMW airhead rally going on. That explains all the BMWs I kept seeing. Then this showed up. I had seen them on the web but never in person. It is actually much smaller than I thought. I talked to the owner, he said that it basically handles like a snowmobile. He also said that the ones being sold for 23-25k are a ripoff, he bought his direct for 17k. Interesting. If I get to the point where my balance isn't good enough for a two-wheeler this might be an option. That is many years out though, I'm only in my 30s!!!

gallery_2082_3648_73499.jpg

After I gassed up I noticed it was kinda late and I should get back before dark. No more pics for that reason. I headed east on 190 and into the wonderful town of pahrump. Pahrump is famous for its brothels and speedtraps and is useful only for spring mountain racetrack. I again took no pics because it sucks. I raced the sunset back over the chilly hill (still snow at the top!) and into town.

This was the first real ride on my 5th gen. It soothed any fears I had about distance riding on a used, previous downed bike. It never lost composure. Not on rough roads, or a windy highway, or even at 150 indicated. (did I say that out loud?) Not a hiccup. The two minor issues are helibars for slightly better posture, and sorting out the wind noise. Those are both easy, and once solved I think my wife is on board for my long dreamed about west coast tour!

• Member Contributer

I've been to Death Valley 3 times now and would go back in a heartbeat. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet. I've never been out to California on the bike though ...maybe someday. Each visit to Death Valley has revealed some new part of the park I didn't see before. The rock formations, canyons, salt flats, and mountain views are breathtaking. The last time I was there, we stopped at Stovepipe Wells and I met a guy on a Beemer traveling from Oregon to Daytona. Great pictures.

Nice. I've been in L.A. for 20+ years and haven't been to Death Valley.

Also would like to see Zion and Bryce in nearby Utah.

I feel a week long or better ride percolating in my brain. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Great write up and pics, you've described the place perfectly. Something to be noted is this is not a place you wanna hang at in June, July or August. I've been through in mid July but luckily I did it between the hours or 6.00-8.00am when its a cool 100 degrees, any later and it starts warming up. Actually i've been through there when its been in the 120's in full gear, good way to lose weight.............if ya survive

Great write up and pics, you've described the place perfectly. Something to be noted is this is not a place you wanna hang at in June, July or August. I've been through in mid July but luckily I did it between the hours or 6.00-8.00am when its a cool 100 degrees, any later and it starts warming up. Actually i've been through there when its been in the 120's in full gear, good way to lose weight.............if ya survive

Good point. There's a reason they call it Death Valley. :salesman:

Man o man, Death Valley is way too big to see in a day. But I'm jealous you live close enough to even try. The group from the SF Bay Area you came upon must have been the SouthBayRiders. I *was* going to try to join them, but a work deadline got in the way.

I'm glad you have a nice venture, and like others said, don't go back in the summer! But DV is a place you need to explore more than once.

• Member Contributer

Had to ride through DV in the summer, so we went through around 4am and got our by 6am +1.gif

Nice pics

Death Valley is magic, even more so if ya get off road.

Here is a shot of the geologists cabin about 40 miles from the nearest piece of asphalt in any direction.

38174315_KNfiZ-S.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pictures and write-up!

The Duthy family is contemplating a 2-3 week trip to the US next year (albeit by car/camper) so this is a good place to add to the list...... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the pictures and write-up!

The Duthy family is contemplating a 2-3 week trip to the US next year (albeit by car/camper) so this is a good place to add to the list...... :thumbsup:

Death Valley is an awesome place to see about this time of the year when it's not so hot. I am a Fellow of the International Association of Astronomical Artists and we have workshops in places that are analogs of other planets/moons. In February 2005 we had a workshop in Death Valley. That place is breathtaking. The alluvial fans are beautiful. Here are a few of the pictures I took there and here are some that a buddy took. This June we're doing a workshop at Bryce and Captol Reef in Utah. Here is a pan I did of Ubehebe crater:

ubehebe_pan_small.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it is far too big to really see everything in one day. I saw many turnouts that I wanted to explore like the artists drive, dante's view, the natural bridge, etc... Not to mention I was jealous of all the BMW ADV guys rockin the dirt trails. For some reason the VFR doesn't handle that well on those washboards or deep gravel. Anyone wanna donate one of those new f800gs's to a worthy cause?

I'll definately go back, no reason not too since its practically next door. :D

• Member Contributer

Thanks for a great report!

More a place for cruising and looking. Death Valley is worth a trip and I almost went this past weekend again.

I opted instead for the Colorado River and a new ride. Death Valley is better.

2054357890099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Best Place to camp was in Furnace Creek where you can walk for chow and beverages! And there are actually trees and shade although it does not get terrible Dec - April! Cold at night though!

Gas in Shoshone is ripoff <_< and was more expensive than in the Park itself (Furnace Creek).

Do not take Emigrant Pass on the VFR ........no fun.

2907266260099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Some of the facilities are poor around the "Big Crater" by Scotty's Castle

2753130830099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer
Nice pics

Death Valley is magic, even more so if ya get off road.

Here is a shot of the geologists cabin about 40 miles from the nearest piece of asphalt in any direction.

38174315_KNfiZ-S.jpg

Nice write up slacker. DV is one of my favorite rides, there's another Bay Area group ride planned next month I am going to try to make. But I'd love to have a DS to get off road down there.

gallery_7586_1540_87059.jpg

DeathValley.JPG

If you want to make another trip back before it gets too hot, just let me know. I'd have taken you up on the offer, but had family in town this past weekend. AussieinUSA and I went the weekend before, but got a little late start on the day so we just stopped for lunch in Furnace Creek and turned around and came back. I really want to go back before it gets too hot as it seems to be one of the only decent day rides in the area. <_<

2 shots from a Death Valley trip this winter; me, my KTM and my buddies 2wd Ural. I'm go'n back in a couple of weeks, just before it starts to get too warm.

Just below South Pass

231124309_dj5Vb-S.jpg

On the way to Charlie's Manson's Barker Ranch

238213381_YHvpA-S.jpg

• Member Contributer
gallery_2082_3648_102723.jpg

Man, I've seen this picture/road before. Hmmm, where was it? Oh man, it's driving me crazy. I know I've see it before..........................

Oh yeah, it's on the other side of this big ass desert! :idea3: Big Bend, Texas.

IMG_7857.jpg

This was taken about 3 years ago. Freaky. :goofy:

Archived