Modular Or Fullface

marid2apterbilt

Modular or Fullface.. which do you prefer for street riding?????  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Which helmet style do you preferr

• 3/4 or half shell (open face)
    • Fullface
    • Modular flipface

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
I am looking to try on the latest Shoei Flip up but have not tried it on yet.

I've looked at the Shoei modular, but not fond of the price. Sloans Motorcycles in Murfreesboro have Demo-Days in the summer where you can try out bikes and a coupla' times they add "helmet demos". Wouldn't let me try one of these though...... :rolleyes: ......If you ever buy one, what's the chances of you getting a size "medium" in "white" so just in case you don't like it, I can take advantage of the "VFRD 1/2 price sale" and try it....what are buddies for........... wink.gif :P

• Forum CEO

Not tested is the Snell problem with flip up helmets, its not that they fail the Snell rating its that they dont test them. The magazine Cruiser rider did a test of some popular modular helmets and I came away satisfied they are safe.

To determine how strong the chinbars are, we also performed a chinbar-deflection test, similar to a Snell test for shell rigidity. We wondered whether the chinbars had the integrity to pass this test without being an integral part of the helmet shell. It turns out that they do. None approached the allowed 60mm deflection. The most deflection we measured was 47mm on the Arrow, with the Schuberth close behind at 43mm. The HJC, Lazer and Shoei deflected the least, all at 28mm. We also tested the chinbars for impact absorption by removing them from the helmets, placing them on the headform and subjecting them to a six-foot drop. There is no applicable U.S. standard for motorcycle helmets that any of them claim to meet here, but the Zeus transferred notably more energy, which isn't surprising because it has no padding in its chinbar. The headform felt 660gs, compared to 200 for the best-performing Shoei and 201 for the Lazer, both of which have substantial padding in the impact area. The second worst was the HJC (409gs), but it has an excuse because we impacted the exact center of the chinbars, where the HJC has its latching mechanism. Its chinbar has substantial padding on either side of the latch and would have almost certainly performed well if we had attacked it there.

• Member Contributer

Full face for me.

TNCC <trauma nurse core curriculum> has a diagram of a helmet with where most impacts occur. About 45% of the riders who crash take it on the chin.

I would hate to have a mechanical failure mess up my pretty face :o

Not tested is the Snell problem with flip up helmets, its not that they fail the Snell rating its that they dont test them. The magazine Cruiser rider did a test of some popular modular helmets and I came away satisfied they are safe.
To determine how strong the chinbars are, we also performed a chinbar-deflection test, similar to a Snell test for shell rigidity. We wondered whether the chinbars had the integrity to pass this test without being an integral part of the helmet shell. It turns out that they do. None approached the allowed 60mm deflection. The most deflection we measured was 47mm on the Arrow, with the Schuberth close behind at 43mm. The HJC, Lazer and Shoei deflected the least, all at 28mm. We also tested the chinbars for impact absorption by removing them from the helmets, placing them on the headform and subjecting them to a six-foot drop. There is no applicable U.S. standard for motorcycle helmets that any of them claim to meet here, but the Zeus transferred notably more energy, which isn't surprising because it has no padding in its chinbar. The headform felt 660gs, compared to 200 for the best-performing Shoei and 201 for the Lazer, both of which have substantial padding in the impact area. The second worst was the HJC (409gs), but it has an excuse because we impacted the exact center of the chinbars, where the HJC has its latching mechanism. Its chinbar has substantial padding on either side of the latch and would have almost certainly performed well if we had attacked it there.

Now I feel better!! GO Flip-ups!! It's true the convenience is a major plus, especially on medium to longish trips where you're on and off the bike, into gas stations, shops, asking at several hotel receptions before deciding, stopping to ask for directions, talking to other moocyclists, and as mine has the inbuilt sun visor, there's no squeezing in and wrenching out of sunglasses with the resultant ache behind the ears and such...

BUT, as one of my new year resolutions is to do more trackdays this year, I'll most probably (make that definitely) get a full face for that...

Like many others I also chose a full face helmet for the best protection. I went with an Arai which has great ventilation and styling. It fits my small squash perfectly too. I have recently seen many good articels on the Nolan N-com modular flip face helmet (check motorcyclist magazine and Road Runner for articles). The Nolan has many good features and also look good too. If I recall, the only complaint was loud wind noise at high speeds. Both Arai and Nolan are DOT approved so I'm sure you cant go wrong with either.

gallery_10687_2646_1707.jpg

Nolan N-COM

gallery_10687_2646_23116.jpg

Arai Stellar Black

• Member Contributer

I have the new Nolan N-Com, had (well still have but do not use, the HJC CL-Max). The Nolan for me is very comfortable and a big improvement over the HJC. I want to add the communications module soon and see how that works out, hopefully well. I too wear glass but mostly only for night riding and the modular's work best for this. I am not (yet) convinced that a full-face will give any better protection over the Nolan, I could see the HJC being not as good due to its chin locking mechanism being mostly plastic but the Nolan uses all metal clamps to lock the chin lift.

Just to add one more thought that i havent seen mentioned. I wear earplugs and no matter what I stop for if I want to hear an answer from someone I have to remove the helmet so that I can remove my earplugs. Im used to taking my helmet off so that isnt much of a problem for me. Now I also wear sunglasses when it is sunny and I find a good pair that fits right and has straighter "legs" instead of the ones that curve down behind the ears. You might also be able to do that on prescription glasses too, would be easier to put on and take off with the helmet on. Just a thought.

Just to add one more thought that i havent seen mentioned. I wear earplugs and no matter what I stop for if I want to hear an answer from someone I have to remove the helmet so that I can remove my earplugs. Im used to taking my helmet off so that isnt much of a problem for me. Now I also wear sunglasses when it is sunny and I find a good pair that fits right and has straighter "legs" instead of the ones that curve down behind the ears. You might also be able to do that on prescription glasses too, would be easier to put on and take off with the helmet on. Just a thought.

I dont have to remove my glasses to put on or take off a modular, most seem to flex enough like a 3/4 with the chin bar open when putting them on or taking off.

Also my glasses have the standad wrap behind the ear, Which is not a problem unless your helmet is a really snug fit.

I have read suggestions where people trimmed out a little foam where the arms of the glasses go and around the ear for this.

Earplugs???????? not sure but i can say that i wear a jabra 250v bluetooth for my phone.

It wraps around the back of my ear but with my helmet on i cant get to the call answer button. Works well for anything under 40mph while on the phone.

Depending on what kind of earplugs you may be able to sqeez them in. Getting them out without removal of the helmet may be good for a few laughs and acrobatic jokes :lol:

Unless they have a string attached.

• Member Contributer
IT'S fullface for me....

wearing a helmet is the only way i can get girls to talk to me.......gallery_3647_3505_140734.jpg

013endrdsdEE.jpg

WOW,,, you too???? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm firmly in the modular camp.

I have had a hjc-symax since 9/01 for the street.

I probably should have replaced it last year, but did not.

Its had a bird hit the shield and chin bar, the shield cracked and was a wreck, but the chin bar did not fail.

The side chin bar pivot has taken a couple of plastic corner marker and branch whacks, hey what can I say, sometimes the only evasive action is to cut hard to the inside (does dragging a knee on the inside curb count?!?!?!. The Grey plastic markers are just about as invisible as small tree branches at night.

Mechanically, it still functions like it did the day I bought it.

It was never a particularly quiet helmet, but I wear plugs or earphones 98% of the time so the added air movement has always been a plus.

As of late it has been getting much noiser, but investigation discovered the face port and side pivot seals are all dried out and shrinking.

In other words it REALLY is time for a new lid.

I have Shoei multi-tec on order, since I thought the CL-Max was way too noisy.

I've tried the KBC FFR but it doesn't fit my rounder brain case.

BUT this is only for the street.

I'm looking at the weight, fit, aero and other features in full face helmets for track use this year.

• Member Contributer

Can yous buys the BMW lid in the US?

The build quality is top notch, pity they did not fit my head shape......

HPIM3221.jpg

HPIM3218.jpg

Hated this one:

HPIM4415.jpg

The HJC, not the NR....

So in the end I got the one I lusted after......

HPIM4495.jpg

HPIM3221.jpg

HPIM3218.jpg

Hated this one:

HPIM4415.jpg

The HJC, not the NR....

So in the end I got the one I lusted after......

HPIM4495.jpg

I wear a Doohan replica also, slightly different graphics, awsome hat. expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

Be interesting to see how many here wear ATGATT also, but I bet its been a poll already,,,,,,,,off to "search" I go :D

Is this why you are so busy at "work" all day?

• Member Contributer
Well I'm firmly in the modular camp.

I have had a hjc-symax since 9/01 for the street.

I probably should have replaced it last year, but did not.

As of late it has been getting much noiser, but investigation discovered the face port and side pivot seals are all dried out and shrinking.

In other words it REALLY is time for a new lid.

I have Shoei multi-tec on order, since I thought the CL-Max was way too noisy.

I've tried the KBC FFR but it doesn't fit my rounder brain case.

BUT this is only for the street.

I'm looking at the weight, fit, aero and other features in full face helmets for track use this year.

Multitec arrived yet? Review on the Multitec? Same sizing as your HJC modular? How about chin bar distance - same as HJC.

I have the HJC flip up and full faces (Arai & Shoei). The HJC is noisy as others have said, and it does allow too much wind in my face when riding my standard bike. I only use it around town, as my cheapo convenience helmet.

Didn't read all the replies, so a I apologize in advance if I rehash something. I purchased an HJC modular back in June. I don't think I'll ever go back to full face. Very convenient (except for the noise which earplugs fix). I did lots of research and basically came to the conclusion that modulars are not rated by Snell because Snell doesn't test them...which is ridiculous.

• Member Contributer

HPIM3221.jpg

HPIM3218.jpg

Has anyone got any experience with these helmets? I'm seriously looking at one to replace my old Shoei X-SP. Have tried one on at a shop, and it seemed extremely quiet, but have not had a chance to ride with one.

HPIM3221.jpg

HPIM3218.jpg

Has anyone got any experience with these helmets? I'm seriously looking at one to replace my old Shoei X-SP. Have tried one on at a shop, and it seemed extremely quiet, but have not had a chance to ride with one.

The thing I don't like with most BMW and Schuberth brand modular helmets is their massive shell size. which also translates mostly to too much weight. I was really very interested in the Schuberth Concept helmet, but was totally turned off when I saw in person how big it is and how heavy it was. I think heavy helmets could result in more possibility of neck injuries because of the dynamic stresses it can add to your neck in a crash. JMO.

BTW, I think you still can't buy BMW helmets in the US. The last model they sold here was the Series 2 helmet, of which I bought one back in 1988. Most newer BMW helmets here are brought in from Europe by tourists or ordered directly from shops in countries like the UK. Not certified by the DOT and illegal to use in helmet mandated states.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I have an RF-1000 and an Astral-X. They're very nice. If I was in the market for a modular, it'd be the Shoei Multitec. It's incredibly light for a modular helmet, and it fits like the RF.

• Member Contributer

It's warm enough down here that I ride with the shield open most of the year so noise is always an issue no matter what helmet I use. My HJC cl-max is as comfortable as any Arai I've owned maybe more so. I don't seem to develop any hot spots even on day long rides when the only time I remove my hat is for lunch or take a long break. I wear ear plugs and at a gas stop I have no problems conversing with people with it on even after 2 straight hours of 80mph riding.

Modulars are like cell phones or microwave ovens: until you use one, you never know how great they are at what they do best.

• Member Contributer
Multitec arrived yet? Review on the Multitec? Same sizing as your HJC modular? How about chin bar distance - same as HJC.

I've read nothing but glowing reviews for the Multitech and yes they are available. They say it is very quiet for a mod. I wanted one so bad I went down and tried one on, but alas, it doesn't fit my oblong dome. Seems to fit the round head shape more!!

Man, was I disappointed!! Come on Shoei, give us at least two shapes for this helmet!!!!! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I've read nothing but glowing reviews for the Multitech and yes they are available. They say it is very quiet for a mod. I wanted one so bad I went down and tried one on, but alas, it doesn't fit my oblong dome. Seems to fit the round head shape more!!

Man, was I disappointed!! Come on Shoei, give us at least two shapes for this helmet!!!!! :unsure:

JESVFR has one coming ..........I was hoping to get a comparison with his HJC (which I have too). I have not found a Multitec in local stores yet to try on.

my only apprehension to those modular helmets would be wondering if the giant split in the helmet would compromise its strength or ability to hold up in a really nasty accident.

does anybody have any documentation that would support the idea that the modular lids are as strong and rigid as the full face?

• Member Contributer

:thumbsup: On earplugs.....after several long riding days I really had some aching ears, at times almost unbearable. I started using earplugs and have made my riding SO much more enjoyable. I have Two Brothers exhaust....not too loud but still very noticeable after several hours on the saddle. I wear a Scorpion 700 full face and have been happy with the overall fit, function and design. Never had modular design so can't comment on them other than I know plenty of others who love their mods.....for me I can't help feeling safer in a full face design versus the modular due to the potential for mechanical failure in a wreck.

Archived