Modular Or Fullface

marid2apterbilt

Modular or Fullface.. which do you prefer for street riding?????  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Which helmet style do you preferr

• 3/4 or half shell (open face)
    • Fullface
    • Modular flipface

Modular is definately a great way to go, if anything on hot days you come to a stop at a light or really slow traffic, just flip up the front face and it's like have an instant half helmet. Pretty convient when stopped for fuel or carrying on a conversation at a light with your riding partner, etc. There is a slight bit more noise over a full face non-modular but not much. I have an HJC CMax and the new Shoe Multi-tec. I really like the fit of the HJC better, just thought I would try a top of the line helmet to see what it was like, but frankly I think the HJC quality fit and finish is every bit as good as my Shoei which cost twice as much.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've been wearing a Shoei Multitec for a while now and love it. It's not much heavier than my RF-1000 and it actually has less turbulence than the RF. As for the noise, I listen to the ipod most of the time, so it's not an issue for me. I also like the convenience of the flip-up when I need some water or want to talk without having to raise my voice.

• Member Contributer
Modular is definately a great way to go, if anything on hot days you come to a stop at a light or really slow traffic, just flip up the front face and it's like have an instant half helmet. Pretty convient when stopped for fuel or carrying on a conversation at a light with your riding partner, etc. There is a slight bit more noise over a full face non-modular but not much. I have an HJC CMax and the new Shoe Multi-tec. I really like the fit of the HJC better, just thought I would try a top of the line helmet to see what it was like, but frankly I think the HJC quality fit and finish is every bit as good as my Shoei which cost twice as much.

Are your HJC and Multitec the same size. HOw about room for the chin????????

Well I'm firmly in the modular camp.

I have had a hjc-symax since 9/01 for the street.

I probably should have replaced it last year, but did not.

As of late it has been getting much noiser, but investigation discovered the face port and side pivot seals are all dried out and shrinking.

In other words it REALLY is time for a new lid.

I have Shoei multi-tec on order, since I thought the CL-Max was way too noisy.

I've tried the KBC FFR but it doesn't fit my rounder brain case.

BUT this is only for the street.

I'm looking at the weight, fit, aero and other features in full face helmets for track use this year.

Multitec arrived yet? Review on the Multitec? Same sizing as your HJC modular? How about chin bar distance - same as HJC.

Multi-tec arrived last friday and I have made a couple of trips.

I wish that I had bought it sooner. The chin skirt eliminates the big draft from up under the chin, The chin bar feels like it is the same distance from my face, (or at least it is not interfering with my mustache and beard).

The helmet is quieter than I ever remember my Sy-Max being (of course the Sy-Max is 7+ years old now). The shield closes tightly. I had to realize that I could hear my breathing at a stoplights, something that was very foreign feeling (open the pod bay doors HAL) (I am you father, Luke).

Anyway, I don't feel like I have to wear the quietest earplugs I own to ride to work anymore.

Its tight enough that I getting the pinlock antifog setup so that I do not have to crack the shield open at every stoplight.

yeah its that tight with the vents closed.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

• Member Contributer
Well I'm firmly in the modular camp.

I have had a hjc-symax since 9/01 for the street.

I probably should have replaced it last year, but did not.

As of late it has been getting much noiser, but investigation discovered the face port and side pivot seals are all dried out and shrinking.

In other words it REALLY is time for a new lid.

I have Shoei multi-tec on order, since I thought the CL-Max was way too noisy.

I've tried the KBC FFR but it doesn't fit my rounder brain case.

BUT this is only for the street.

I'm looking at the weight, fit, aero and other features in full face helmets for track use this year.

Multitec arrived yet? Review on the Multitec? Same sizing as your HJC modular? How about chin bar distance - same as HJC.

Multi-tec arrived last friday and I have made a couple of trips.

I wish that I had bought it sooner. The chin skirt eliminates the big draft from up under the chin, The chin bar feels like it is the same distance from my face, (or at least it is not interfering with my mustache and beard).

The helmet is quieter than I ever remember my Sy-Max being (of course the Sy-Max is 7+ years old now). The shield closes tightly. I had to realize that I could hear my breathing at a stoplights, something that was very foreign feeling (open the pod bay doors HAL) (I am you father, Luke).

Anyway, I don't feel like I have to wear the quietest earplugs I own to ride to work anymore.

Its tight enough that I getting the pinlock antifog setup so that I do not have to crack the shield open at every stoplight.

yeah its that tight with the vents closed.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Thanks. Is it the same size as your HJC?

I bought my HJC for the wing and now use it at least 50% of the time on the VFR too. On tour the flips are the greatest! Have to try the multi soon. HJC does put out some noise on the VFR!

• 2 weeks later...

There's way too many bugs and small rocks in the air (especially in the spring) for me to wear anything less then a full face helmet. Right now I have the Scorpion EXO-700 and I'll probably get the EXO-1000 in about Marchish or so. I like Scorpion because it's snell and DOT approved and it doesn't make me feel like a walking billboard for the company that makes the helmet. I do like the way Shoei fits, I just don't like having the name across my forehead in bigger print then the visor. It's not enough apparently that the helmet is $600 they need to take advantage of this opportunity to advertise as well. <_< The bastards can pay for a commercial for all I care, if it wasn't for that I'd probably ride a Shoei.

• Member Contributer

I bought my HJC for the wing and now use it at least 50% of the time on the VFR too. On tour the flips are the greatest! Have to try the multi soon. HJC does put out some noise on the VFR!

The HJC is not the same size/shape as the Multitec.

At least for my head...

The Multitec Large would fit really snug around my head but couldnot close the lid (squashed my mouth; yeah I know I have a big one)

The XL didnot have that problem but it was way to loose on my head.

I did find the HJC a better fit (albeit a little tight) but the draught was unbeareable, brought it back after a 2 hour ride with painfull dried out eyes.....

I finally got me a hjc symax and made afew runs with it. Alot quieter than my POS ebay special and better fit (of course). I was really surprised at how quiet it was. Hard to imagine there is quieter out there but those of you who say so i will take your word for it..

I did notice that if i tried to tuck under the windscreen it was very noisy but if i stuck my head up into clean air it was considerably quieter. Even with vents open i either had to breath shallow or open the visor at stop lights to keep it from fogging.

Also

Quote..sixerPosted Today, 04:56 PM There's way too many bugs and small rocks in the air (especially in the spring) for me to wear anything less then a full face helmet

Your not supposed to ride with the chin bar open :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

The HJC is not the same size/shape as the Multitec.

At least for my head...

The Multitec Large would fit really snug around my head but couldnot close the lid (squashed my mouth; yeah I know I have a big one)

The XL didnot have that problem but it was way to loose on my head.

I did find the HJC a better fit (albeit a little tight) but the draught was unbeareable, brought it back after a 2 hour ride with painfull dried out eyes.....

Thanks - for sure have to try one on. Could be problem.

Well I even though they are both large helmets, I would not say that the hjc is the same as the multi-tec as far as the fit.

the HJC was always close in the crown and had a kind of grip at the top of the neck that used to bother me a little bit.

Not a real complaint, just a statement about the fit.

The Shoei is very snug in general but does not seem to have any particular hot spots. I have felt that the helmet is too tight in any sector. The only issue I have is that my ear-bud earphones do not want to stay seated when I put on the shoei. The plastic ear shields in the shoei make contact when I'm pulling the helmet on and tend to dislodge the buds. I figure that this will not be an issue when I get the molded units done this spring.

As for the chin clearance, the skirt at the bottom of the chin bar makes contact with my chin when closing, but does not press against my throat.

The HJC never had this feature, so there is no fair comparison in that area.

The pin-lock anti-fog works almost perfectly and I wish that I had ordered it with the helmet.

Also the Darth Vader feeling has faded to the background.

• Member Contributer

Well I even though they are both large helmets, I would not say that the hjc is the same as the multi-tec as far as the fit.

the HJC was always close in the crown and had a kind of grip at the top of the neck that used to bother me a little bit.

Not a real complaint, just a statement about the fit.

The Shoei is very snug in general but does not seem to have any particular hot spots. I have felt that the helmet is too tight in any sector. The only issue I have is that my ear-bud earphones do not want to stay seated when I put on the shoei. The plastic ear shields in the shoei make contact when I'm pulling the helmet on and tend to dislodge the buds. I figure that this will not be an issue when I get the molded units done this spring.

As for the chin clearance, the skirt at the bottom of the chin bar makes contact with my chin when closing, but does not press against my throat.

The HJC never had this feature, so there is no fair comparison in that area.

The pin-lock anti-fog works almost perfectly and I wish that I had ordered it with the helmet.

Also the Darth Vader feeling has faded to the background.

Thanks guy! I wonder how speakers or a proper headset with boom would work

If by speakers you mean for IPOD or something like that mine work great.

I didn't feel like blowing lots of cash for a trial deal. I went to RadioShack

and got a set of 8 buck headphone took them apart, took the cheek pads

out put a little slit in them and put in the head phones. SOUND GREAT.

I don't have a model number for the headphones but once apart they are

less than 1/4" thick. I then ran the wire around all the rest of the inside

pad and out the left side. I tried ear buds but the damn things hurt and

blocked too much I couldn't hear EMS or anything.

Archived