California Canyon Cramming - October 7

rocks_vfrside.jpg

Southern California:
The goal was to cram as many cool canyons as I could into a Sunday on the east side of I-5. It was too windy on the west side of I-5.
This was also posted at S-TN and Pashnit.

Soledad Canyon, Agua Dulce Canyon, Sand Canyon, Vasquez Canyon, Bouquet Canyon, Spunky Canyon, San Francisquito Canyon, Lake Hughes Rd./Elizabeth Lake Canyon, Pine Canyon and Lake Elizabeth Road to home.

map-acton-lakehughes13.jpg

acton_start.jpg
The Mountains are calling.
Started at the Shell station in Acton -- Crown Valley exit of the 14 Freeway

soledad_ria.jpg
Soledad Canyon by the Ria Market

aguadulce_can.jpg
Agua Dulce Canyon -- short and sweet. Could use some fertilizer.

rocks_lean.jpg
Vazquez Rocks -- Leaning with nature.

rocks_vfrside.jpg
Should have brought my climbing shoes.

IMG04851y.jpg
A guy from Pashnit posted this pix from the late 60s -- same angle.

sweetwater.jpg
Coffee break at the Sweetwater Cafe in Agua Dulce.

bouquet1.jpg
Ahhh, a sweet Bouquet ... Canyon.

bouquet_mirror.jpg
Can't decide which way Bouquet is the most fun.

spunky_sign.jpg
Moments later I passed two fart-canned cages sporting wings (WRXs), who proceeded to chase me up the hill.

spunky_wrx.jpg
Hehe -- this happened last weekend with a Mustang -- I'm on a roll.

spunky_up.jpg
I waited for 'em. Took another shot and left.

spunky_gas.jpg
Downtown Green Valley.

francishelmet.jpg
San Francisquito Road -- finally open from the 2005 wash out.

francis_road.jpg
San Francisquito Road

francis_vfr.jpg
San Francisquito Road

francis_enemy.jpg
We have found the enemy, and it is us. New boxes creeping up the Canyon.

castaic_lake.jpg
After a quick slab ride on the windy 5, I headed up Lake Hughes Road above Castaic Lake.

castaicdam.jpg
Castaic Dam.

damroad.jpg
Dam road.

rockinn.jpg
Stopped in at the Rock Inn on Elizabeth Lake Road for a cold one.

magnatour.jpg
Rock Inn -- Magna Sabre on tour. Nice motor.

dirtbikes.jpg
Since they changed the name from "Harley's Rock Inn" to plain old "Rock Inn," business has doubled. :nuts:

lakelizroad.jpg
Elizabeth Lake Road is no slouch either.

lakelizroad2.jpg
Liz Lake Road.

lizlake.jpg
Whiz Lake -- Almost made it home without a stop after the one beer.

• Member Contributer

Nice ride report and pics. Thanks for posting. It's a bummer that our site shrunk your map. My eyesight ain't what it used to be. :idea3:

Those are the roads that Lee (VFR_Lee) likes to ride. You two ought to get together for a date. :blink:

fred

• Member Contributer

Nice post :thumbsup:

We tend to ride those roads qite a bit as well. Starting from my neck of the woods, we'll run over Grimes Cyn and take Guiberson to Torrey to the 125 then onto the 5 and off at Parker. Head up Lake Hughes road to Lake Eliz road and then run San Fran to Spunky to Bouquet then either turn around and come back up Bouquet or run the rest San Fran.

Haven't been on Agua Dulce so how does that road compare to the rest?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the post. Took the ELizabeth Lake Road one time trying to avoid LA after a Sierra Tour. Would have taken it again during the 06 GP but too hot so went to the coast as fast as I could.

Great roads ..........may have to check out some of the loops now. Thanks again.

I missed this one before. Nice post, and those ARE some of my favorite roads.

Love the Rock Inn for breakfast or lunch. Good breakfast. Good BBQ. :salesman:

They remember me and some of the other guys. Or at least our favorite waitress Jamie does. :thumbsup:

Just watch out for the Hardley's after they've been hitting the "aiming fluid". :beer:

There's a bunch of other good roads up that way too. :goofy:

Those cool tilted sedimentary rock formations are Vasquez Rocks. right off the 14 Fwy.

They've filmed a lot of stuff over the years there I think. Especially westerns.

Interesting terrain for a short hike. :thumbsup:

You guys give Hwy 33 north out of Ojai a run, also Cerro Noroeste, and Lockwood Valley.

Had an all day run up through there today. Best and longest ride in a while @ 307 miles. :warranty:

Ran past 60,000 miles on the VFR's clock. :idea3:

• 5 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I see that was an older ride report so if you have not had any probs with the Givi rack, you are probably overdue. If you have, then sorry I did not catch you sooner! Those look like some awesome roads! I was very fortunate to get to ride some stuff around San Jose a few years ago with PorradaVFR . incredible stuff! Take care, hope you are still on the yellow bike!

Ernie

Well, I see that was an older ride report so if you have not had any probs with the Givi rack, you are probably overdue. If you have, then sorry I did not catch you sooner! Those look like some awesome roads! I was very fortunate to get to ride some stuff around San Jose a few years ago with PorradaVFR . incredible stuff! Take care, hope you are still on the yellow bike!

Ernie

Yes, my rack cracked, apparently like all Givi racks. I read that they will replace it "free" only to have it crack again. I should have installed it with rubber bushings on the subframe to keep it from pulling on itself, but don't know for sure if that would have kept it from cracking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just out there yesterday riding with Lee. Very nice riding area I plan on going to more often. There is still quite a bit of burn damage but most of the roads are not affected. IMO we should try and keep it a well garded secret.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived