Vf1000r Rebuild

vfrcapn

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Anyone else making any progress?

Took the F out with the reworked shock, short ride. Just sitting on the bike was completely different, the rear didn`t sag 3 inches like it did before. Felt quite a bit more controlled and the bike felt more of a whole now. That`s really all the progress for me...

Good stuff nonetheless... I don't think I'm going to hit my goal of completing the 750 by mid August. Too much other stuff going on, and we're slowly creepig into firewodd season, followed abruptly by Old Man Winter... :schla15:

• Member Contributer

I got a shipment in of new seals for the water pipes, all new exhaust gaskets, thermostat, new carb boots and new bushings for the RC forks. Already had the fork seals. It's all nicely laid out on the workbench waiting for the Honda assembly team to get to work. :rolleyes:

I only need a new spring for the shock to get a rolling chassis.

• Member Contributer

gallery_10340_3750_812241.jpgQuit with the winter talk already!

Did a bit more challenging ride earlier this evening after a hot day of yard work.

Anyway, the rear shock is now working as it should, stiff enough so it keeps the bike balanced and I can tell what the rear tire is doing but not harsh at all. Now I can tweek in the front as it`s shortcomings are becoming obvious. Need to get the damping in front so it`s not so harsh but still firm. The rear was so good and the front is almost there tonight that I was _accidently_ riding like I was in the woods dodging trees...

Jesus, I almost forgot why I don`t ride in town anymore, I`m going to get a ticket with this, it f&cking rocks !!!

Another gratuitous pic, this one in front of my daughter`s pool, which of course had to be inflated tonight even though it was getting dark...so it`s spending the night in the garage...too funny! Dad`s work is never done...

• Member Contributer
gallery_10340_3750_812241.jpgQuit with the winter talk already!

Did a bit more challenging ride earlier this evening after a hot day of yard work.

Anyway, the rear shock is now working as it should, stiff enough so it keeps the bike balanced and I can tell what the rear tire is doing but not harsh at all. Now I can tweek in the front as it`s shortcomings are becoming obvious. Need to get the damping in front so it`s not so harsh but still firm. The rear was so good and the front is almost there tonight that I was _accidently_ riding like I was in the woods dodging trees...

Jesus, I almost forgot why I don`t ride in town anymore, I`m going to get a ticket with this, it f&cking rocks !!!

Another gratuitous pic, this one in front of my daughter`s pool, which of course had to be inflated tonight even though it was getting dark...so it`s spending the night in the garage...too funny! Dad`s work is never done...

Looks good Tom!

Well, it's slowly coming together...

IMG_5817Large.jpg

Awesome!

You can punch me later, but I think that bike looks ready for VF750F tail, side panels, tank, and a brushed aluminum VTX headlight... bruiser style... :cool:

yep, I was serious... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

All I've done is add some new mirrors. I never liked the stock ones. These are smaller but come up and out just a tad more so I can see past my arm a little better. Plus they look cooler.

gallery_13847_3747_141644.jpg

New mirrors

gallery_13847_3747_85351.jpg

New mirrors

• Member Contributer
All you've done?? Did I miss the post where you finished the front end and gave a ride report? :cool:

J/K, looks good! :ph34r: I like the new headlight too.

You miss a post...is that even possible? Ok, I didn't give a ride report. I still have to play with the settings as it's a tad stiff now. Not sure what the offset difference in the triples does to trail but it does turn differently, kind of slow at first then really turns in. Not as smooth at very slow speeds as my stocker but that could be partly due to the 16 incher. I've relocated my ignition. You can just see it in the second pic. It's to the right of the temp gauge. Easy to get to and the keys don't scratch the triple. The 51 bars are at a different angle than stock. They are upside down so the angle is more upright. Took a little getting use to for my wrist but it's actually higher than stock so no complaints on long rides. I'm still waiting on 51 masters for brake and clutch. They are much narrower than the stock ones and will let me slide everything up so I can put on my bar ends. I'm sure the 51 master will make it stop as intended but it still out brakes stock by tons. I actually like the feel it has now. You can really modulate the front easier with a slightly longer lever travel before dead stop. It's not grabby at all but will brake hard when asked to. I've tried to make time to work on my other set of panels but I can't seem to find any. I'd really like to have it repainted by the Indy GP but that's coming up fast. Did you get your front axle? How's it coming?

Thanks Kel, I knew I missed something there... :ph34r:

I got my axle! Haven't done anything with it yet. Been busy at work which leaves me pooped at the end of the day. Got my trip meter reset fixed and swapped out the backing tub on my gauges(one tab was broken), also cleaned that up and ordered LEDs to replace the bulbs in there. 5 big red ones for the backlighting and color-matched small ones for the indicator lights.

Also giving thought to tearing my harness down, yes the whole wiring harness; planned to at least re-wrap the whole thing to make it look new, and I have an entire CBR600F4i harness I am going to pillage for all the newer, smaller items like the starter relay, reg/rec, signal and light relays, fuse box, etc. Then I started reading about how in the early eighties copper values went through the roof and lots of companies went to cheaper, inferior alloys for wiring - now that has me thinking about making a whole new harness from scratch... it's gonna be a long road...

• Member Contributer
You miss a post...is that even possible? Ok, I didn't give a ride report. I still have to play with the settings as it's a tad stiff now. Not sure what the offset difference in the triples does to trail but it does turn differently, kind of slow at first then really turns in. Not as smooth at very slow speeds as my stocker but that could be partly due to the 16 incher. I've relocated my ignition. You can just see it in the second pic. It's to the right of the temp gauge. Easy to get to and the keys don't scratch the triple. The 51 bars are at a different angle than stock. They are upside down so the angle is more upright. Took a little getting use to for my wrist but it's actually higher than stock so no complaints on long rides. I'm still waiting on 51 masters for brake and clutch. They are much narrower than the stock ones and will let me slide everything up so I can put on my bar ends. I'm sure the 51 master will make it stop as intended but it still out brakes stock by tons. I actually like the feel it has now. You can really modulate the front easier with a slightly longer lever travel before dead stop. It's not grabby at all but will brake hard when asked to. I've tried to make time to work on my other set of panels but I can't seem to find any. I'd really like to have it repainted by the Indy GP but that's coming up fast. Did you get your front axle? How's it coming?

Just wait until you get the master, gotta love excellent brakes on these, really balances it better knowing you can stop as you wish, then you can use the motor more. If you drop the front some and raise the rear some, the front works better, more weight on the forks and steers better..........

• Member Contributer

Wow...and I haven`t even done anything except get decals...you are much further along than I. What happened with the motor investigation?

Wow...and I haven`t even done anything except get decals...you are much further along than I. What happened with the motor investigation?

The guy told me not to bid on it?? (not being able to see it and all) I sent an email again asking if he'd part out the goodies if it didn't sell, but haven't heard back yet.

My plan was to be done with it by now, and it hasn't come together for one reason or another. Between regular things, other side jobs, and the seasonal work I have coming up around the house to get ready for winter(mainly firewood), I am considerably short on time to spend working on the 750.

I've been planning this for 6 years, so what's another 6 months, right? One more year it can spend under 3000 miles... :fing02:

• 2 months later...
Let me know what you find out, I'd like to do something with the dash lighting.

I think we have done a fantastic job of hijacking this thread. :fing02:

Hey, it's for a good cause, and it is related... :huh:

Those metal hoods pop right out if you wiggle them, and the 5led bulb has a 220 degree array, so the light should spread nicely. The only other problem is that the single ones are $1.39ea, while the 5led bulbs are $3.94ea... If I use (5) white or red 5led bulbs for the backlighting and (6) singles for the indicators, that comes to $28.04 plus shipping... not too horrible I guess.

Edit: Midias said he had the 5led types in hand and would try to fit them in his Magna where he currently has the 4led types installed, I'm going to order these pending his feedback(or positive feedack from someone else).

K. Turns out the Magna bulbs and sockets are different from the Interceptor parts. Who woulda thought. Thanks Honda. :huh: Got a friend looking into getting me some Magna harness parts so I can use the big LEDs in my cluster. The indicator bulbs I bought were also too large, but luckily they are available in a size that fits.

I broke a motor mount bolt off in the left side of my motor, then promptly broke an extractor off in it too - even though I knew better the entire time. :pissed: 3 Dremel grinding stones later and I have almost got the piece of the extractor out. One more ought to do it. Then I can use a REAL extractor and not a made-in-china piece of donkeydoo from Home Depot to get the rest of the bolt out.

S100 Engine Brightener is the bomb. My motor looks new! Once I get the bolt out I am doing the oil mod install and putting the motor in the frame, and putting the suspension back on. Then mess with the wheels and make sure they're lined up, also try out the VF500 hub I have to see if the rumors are true... might toss that 900rr wheel that I mentioned in there too for giggles.

Next large hurdles after that will be electrical and bodywork, still need to modify my 1kF side panels...

Mike, how're you making out?

• Member Contributer
Then mess with the wheels and make sure they're lined up, also try out the VF500 hub I have to see if the rumors are true... might toss that 900rr wheel that I mentioned in there too for giggles.

It's no rumor. I have probably 5k hard miles on mine with no problems. Others have as well. You won't/can't out torque this hub, especially with a 750. The studs are smaller but I was lucky, my kR sprocket had 2 different hole sizes. Bingo!

gallery_13847_3747_87612.jpg

500 cushdrive

gallery_13847_3747_136906.jpg

500 cushdrive2

gallery_13847_3747_85351.jpg

New mirrors

Just wondering, those clipons look like they're barely clamped on to the fork tubes. Shouldn't you worry that they could come off while ridind your bike?

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Mike, how're you making out?

Not much progress, been focused on summer house projects for the past few months and now I've been forced in to job hunting mode so the bike is pretty much on hold. What's that saying, 'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans..'?

I'm still trying to sell the F but if it won't sell I am considering rebuilding the motor with the replacement cases I've found. The question I have is what are the basic parts I'd need to tear down and rebuild in the new cases? I see gasket kits are available, I assume new crank and rod bearings - are they available? (Jamie?) Should I have the cylinders honed and use new rings or can I get by reusing them? The idea is only to change out the motor case, no internal parts that aren't necessary. I want to keep the cost to a minimum but I'm worried I'll need some repalcement part that is no longer available.

Just wondering, those clipons look like they're barely clamped on to the fork tubes. Shouldn't you worry that they could come off while ridind your bike?

Beck

95 VFR

Beck, you'll need to go back a page or two and read what Kel's done. He actually has plenty of clamp area, but it's easier for you to read than for me to re-type...

• Member Contributer
Kel, is that the F2 wheel you're using with that hub? (160 rear?)

The VF500F sprocket carrier with an F2 wheel will line up the chain correctly on a VF700/750/1000F. For most guys it's easier to find an F2 part (or better yet, get an F2 wheel with the carrier) than it is to find a VF500 part. Combine that with the fact that CBR sprockets are more redily available. Those are the reason I've chosen to use the F2 carrier for my wheel swap kits. The cost for me to modify it is neglidable compared to the cost of the caliper bracket. Plus I think it looks better on there than the VF500 part.

Archived