Vf1000r Rebuild

vfrcapn

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hey Seb, btw, spoke to soon in your thread. Got the front end bits torqued down and the right rotor is dragging ever so slightly on the caliper bracket so I am going to have to mod it a little to get it lined up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hey Seb, btw, spoke to soon in your thread. Got the front end bits torqued down and the right rotor is dragging ever so slightly on the caliper bracket so I am going to have to mod it a little to get it lined up.

Just a couple pics. The rotor here is just barely rubbing the right caliper bracket.

IMG_7939Large.jpg

Taking a couple mm's off the inside the bracket to move it outboard didn't look good, it's only 5 or 6 mm thick at that point. So I widened the slot the caliper runs through. Bad idea or ok? There's really more clearance than the pic shows. Is this what you ran in to Seb?

IMG_7942Large.jpg

Got the brakes and calipers bled. Need to swap out the idiot light module, reinstall the exhaust and fairings and haul it to the highway patrol for a VIN inspection to finalize the title. Then take it for a spin.

• 3 weeks later...

Riding it legally yet Mike?

I will find out what the deal is with mine soon, my calipers are rebuilt and all I need to do is clean up the bracket for the left caliper so I can get them on the forks. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Riding it legally yet Mike?

I will find out what the deal is with mine soon, my calipers are rebuilt and all I need to do is clean up the bracket for the left caliper so I can get them on the forks. :laugh:

No, exhaust is still sitting in the corner. I'm on to painting now......a couple bedrooms, bathroom, hallway..... :beer:

• 1 month later...
Don`t worry about the tire/chain clearance. You have plenty. When I did the Mutant I think I could get 3 sheets of paper in between the Dunlop D207(a notoriously wide 180, more like 190 something) and the chain. Never touched and I used it until I put a D208 on it. The D208 was significantly narrower than the 207 and this Michelin Pilot Power is the same way. Probably a true 180mm tire.

I am building a motorcycle from scratch and I am about ready to install the engine and weld the mount tabs.

I saw your story and found out about Krueger making the offset countershaft sprockets. That could really help me, but i need to ask a question. If the 9mm offset requires cutting of the clutch slave cylinder casting would the 7mm offset ALSO require cutting of the slave cylinder casting.?

Thanks!!!

• Member Contributer
Don`t worry about the tire/chain clearance. You have plenty. When I did the Mutant I think I could get 3 sheets of paper in between the Dunlop D207(a notoriously wide 180, more like 190 something) and the chain. Never touched and I used it until I put a D208 on it. The D208 was significantly narrower than the 207 and this Michelin Pilot Power is the same way. Probably a true 180mm tire.

I am building a motorcycle from scratch and I am about ready to install the engine and weld the mount tabs.

I saw your story and found out about Krueger making the offset countershaft sprockets. That could really help me, but i need to ask a question. If the 9mm offset requires cutting of the clutch slave cylinder casting would the 7mm offset ALSO require cutting of the slave cylinder casting.?

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure, it would be very close. Best thing would probably be to give it a try. Or fab something up like VF1000RS did and eliminate the cover plate altogether. Are you fabricating a frame from scratch?

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure, it would be very close. Best thing would probably be to give it a try. Or fab something up like VF1000RS did and eliminate the cover plate altogether. Are you fabricating a frame from scratch?

Yes I am building a frame from scratch. You would probably not like my project.

I used to be one of the top dirt track racers in Northern California and did well in Arizona as well.

I will post a pic .

14ljats.jpg

2yv16xf.jpg

Thanks!!!

I used to be one of the top dirt track racers in Northern California and did well in Arizona as well.

I will post a pic .

14ljats.jpg

2yv16xf.jpg

I asked Kruger about the 7mm offset and he said no modification would be needed. I just do not know if .275 thousandths is enough for me. Trouble is I still need to find the center of balance of the engine.

The battery position could be the deciding factor.

BTW- 3 sheets of copy paper is about .018 thousandths.

• Member Contributer
I asked Kruger about the 7mm offset and he said no modification would be needed. I just do not know if .275 thousandths is enough for me. Trouble is I still need to find the center of balance of the engine.

The battery position could be the deciding factor.

BTW- 3 sheets of copy paper is about .018 thousandths.

Very ambitious project. Looks like you know what you are doing though. Good powerplant choice.

As long as the chain and the tire didn`t touch it was fine. I have replaced that set of tires already with Bridgestone BT016`s. An interesting thing happened which has not happened with either of the previous two sets, after mounting the tire, same clearance as before. After riding a hundred miles or so I popped the rear in the air to check the chain run and tire...squeaked ever so faintly rotating by hand as the edge of the tire barely touched the edge of the chain rivets. I am guessing the tire has changed shape slightly as it has been ridden. Trimmed the edge of the rear BT016 2mm and no issues. Different tires react differently apparently.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!!!

I will post a pic .

14ljats.jpg

2yv16xf.jpg

Looks like a hard tail chopper? With the V4? That is a cool project, I'd bet there'd be plenty of interest if you wanted to write up some details and start your own thread. You in the Sacramento area?

The oil kits provide additional oil to the heads, to prevent some of the cam burning issues typical with this era Honda V4. There's a 2 line kit that connects to an adapter that mounts between the oil filter and block, just like the old aftermarket oil cooler kits. http://www.holeshot.com/old/v4/v4_oiler.html

The other option is to drill and tap in to the main gallery on the bottom of the motor and run the line up to the heads. That's what I ended up doing. You can get some Earl's fittings for this option, or a member here sells (sold?) a kit with the pieces you need, Jamie Daugherty. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/v4section.html Jamie, are you no longer selling them?

Thanks!!!

I will post a pic .

14ljats.jpg

2yv16xf.jpg

Looks like a hard tail chopper? With the V4? That is a cool project, I'd bet there'd be plenty of interest if you wanted to write up some details and start your own thread. You in the Sacramento area?

The oil kits provide additional oil to the heads, to prevent some of the cam burning issues typical with this era Honda V4. There's a 2 line kit that connects to an adapter that mounts between the oil filter and block, just like the old aftermarket oil cooler kits. http://www.holeshot.com/old/v4/v4_oiler.html

The other option is to drill and tap in to the main gallery on the bottom of the motor and run the line up to the heads. That's what I ended up doing. You can get some Earl's fittings for this option, or a member here sells (sold?) a kit with the pieces you need, Jamie Daugherty. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/v4section.html Jamie, are you no longer selling them?

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

I have the VF1000R engine with gear driven cams and I thought the oiling problems were

fixed on the "R" engines.

I have an ongoing thread about my project on Club chopper forums >metric builds.

BTW I live in Guerneville CA., about 60 miles northwest of Golden Gate bridge.

Eight miles from the ocean on winding roads that go through the redwoods. Beautiful ride.

Lucky, I know we're not really chopper-oriented here, but I think there's enough room for a thread on your bike, if you care to post one up.

We have a member here, Redmarque from the UK, who built his own frame around a VFR800 engine using a Hossack-based front suspension.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34907

Here it is, not quite finished:

overallview.jpg

Also, there was one guy fitting a VFR engine into a small racecar, dunno whatever happened to him....... (anyone?)

Also, there was one guy fitting a VFR engine into a small racecar, dunno whatever happened to him....... (anyone?)

Haven't seen or heard from beaulayman in a long time, he was fitting a 5th gen motor in an older Mini.

Haven't seen or heard from beaulayman in a long time, he was fitting a 5th gen motor in an older Mini.

Thanks for the interest. A lot of great information.

I did not want to steal the thread about the VFR rebuild. It was a great story.

I liked the way it was presented.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Couple 'final' pics of the bike. Last fall I found the carbs gummed up from sitting for so long and I just got around to taking them off, cleaning and reinstalling. Started right up with just a little choke and seems to be running well.

Next step was to drag it to the DMV and Highway Patrol last week for final inspections on a new title. Everyone signed off, after the CHP spent a couple hours giving me a beat down, and it's all legal now. Even had a short ride on it yesterday.

Fender still needs painting, front brake master needs a rebuild, rear shock needs adjusting and the forks are sticking a little on rebound. I may need to check the alignment on the triples and reset the front end to see if that helps. I should have replaced the springs when I was in to the forks too.

The temp sender and fan sender don't appear to be working but I have the fans on a switch. I think the temp sender is still available so I may just order one. It needs a new front tire but I was surprised how well it turns in at speed. It's still a beast to push around the garage though! There's a lot I'd like to do still, like replacing signals & mirrors, but the project budget is on empty right now so that's about it. Everything is assembled and the spare parts put away, feels pretty good after dragging it out for 2.5 years.

vf1kr_left.jpg

vk1kr_rear.jpg

vf1kr_right.jpg

High five for you buddy, congrats!! :goofy: :pissed:

I was just looking at my 750 today, and was thinking about how I should start thinking about working on it again(yes, I intentionally wrote that...).

Too many other things in the works right now. I'm very excited to see your bike finished though! You even cleaned off your work bench, good man! Now pull up a lawn chair behind the bike and watch the sun set through the windshield and the bottom of a beer glass! :fing02:

ps - one of the nicest looking $300 bikes I've ever seen! :goofy: :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Looks really nice!! I see the mirror trick worked out good. :fing02:

It did work nicely, thanks! :fing02: Although those tiny mirrors are pretty much worthless to see anything behind you. I'm thinking some bar end mirrors may work in at some point.

High five for you buddy, congrats!! :fing02: :beer:

I was just looking at my 750 today, and was thinking about how I should start thinking about working on it again(yes, I intentionally wrote that...).

Too many other things in the works right now. I'm very excited to see your bike finished though! You even cleaned off your work bench, good man! Now pull up a lawn chair behind the bike and watch the sun set through the windshield and the bottom of a beer glass! :beer:

ps - one of the nicest looking $300 bikes I've ever seen! cool.gif :goofy:

Thanks. I thought you were definitely going to finish before I did. I still have your license plate bracket I'll fit on pretty soon. And it's one of the most expensive $300 bikes I've every seen. biggrin.gif

edit: Also want to say thanks for everyone's tips, encouragement, ideas and everything else that contributed to getting this bike back together. Especially to SEBSPEED, VF1000RS, Kel, JamieDaugherty, Veefer800Canuck and motorhead1977.

Cheers! :beer:

• Member Contributer

edit: Also want to say thanks for everyone's tips, encouragement, ideas and everything else that contributed to getting this bike back together. Especially to SEBSPEED, VF1000RS, Kel, JamieDaugherty, Veefer800Canuck and motorhead1977.

For me, I was just living vicariously through your thread. Kind of like being in an entourage of some rock star, you can sort of get a taste of what it's like(to to get a project done) without actually achieving it. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I second that! This thread/project was a great inspiration for me, and many others I am sure. On behave of the silent followers - great job!

Archived