Vf1000r Rebuild

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer
I see gasket kits are available, I assume new crank and rod bearings - are they available? (Jamie?) .... but I'm worried I'll need some repalcement part that is no longer available.

No, not all of the bearings are available. I'm not even sure the gasket kits are either. Swapping cases is not as simple as one might think. I'd say you are better off finding another complete engine. Or maybe even a 700 or 750, just to get it going.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Kel, is that the F2 wheel you're using with that hub? (160 rear?)

The VF500F sprocket carrier with an F2 wheel will line up the chain correctly on a VF700/750/1000F. For most guys it's easier to find an F2 part (or better yet, get an F2 wheel with the carrier) than it is to find a VF500 part. Combine that with the fact that CBR sprockets are more redily available. Those are the reason I've chosen to use the F2 carrier for my wheel swap kits. The cost for me to modify it is neglidable compared to the cost of the caliper bracket. Plus I think it looks better on there than the VF500 part.

Yep, F2 wheel. I didn't want to send out a hub so I went with the 500. Instant chain alignment with he 500 carrier, plus it was pretty cheap and I had the sprocket. I've seen a few sprockets on ebay with multiple mounting holes. I feel just the opposite, I think the F2 carrier looks overly bulky.

• Member Contributer
Just wondering, those clipons look like they're barely clamped on to the fork tubes. Shouldn't you worry that they could come off while ridind your bike?

Beck

95 VFR

Beck, you'll need to go back a page or two and read what Kel's done. He actually has plenty of clamp area, but it's easier for you to read than for me to re-type...

:pissed: What he said!

• Member Contributer
Mike, how're you making out?

Not much progress, been focused on summer house projects for the past few months and now I've been forced in to job hunting mode so the bike is pretty much on hold. What's that saying, 'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans..'?

I'm still trying to sell the F but if it won't sell I am considering rebuilding the motor with the replacement cases I've found. The question I have is what are the basic parts I'd need to tear down and rebuild in the new cases? I see gasket kits are available, I assume new crank and rod bearings - are they available? (Jamie?) Should I have the cylinders honed and use new rings or can I get by reusing them? The idea is only to change out the motor case, no internal parts that aren't necessary. I want to keep the cost to a minimum but I'm worried I'll need some repalcement part that is no longer available.

Don't know about the bearings but I recently got a full gasket set for my F. Many small o-rings, gaskets, even exhaust gaskets. Non OEM but you do what you have to.

• Member Contributer

Not much progress, been focused on summer house projects for the past few months and now I've been forced in to job hunting mode so the bike is pretty much on hold. What's that saying, 'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans..'?

I'm still trying to sell the F but if it won't sell I am considering rebuilding the motor with the replacement cases I've found. The question I have is what are the basic parts I'd need to tear down and rebuild in the new cases? I see gasket kits are available, I assume new crank and rod bearings - are they available? (Jamie?) Should I have the cylinders honed and use new rings or can I get by reusing them? The idea is only to change out the motor case, no internal parts that aren't necessary. I want to keep the cost to a minimum but I'm worried I'll need some repalcement part that is no longer available.

Don't know about the bearings but I recently got a full gasket set for my F. Many small o-rings, gaskets, even exhaust gaskets. Non OEM but you do what you have to.

Here's a top end gasket set, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-VF100...Q2em118Q2el1247 and here's an Athena brand full set: http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Street/1985-Hon...34Pa38Ta38Mbhb0

The bearings are listed online and not marked as unavailable, but I'm sure I'll need to call to confirm that. You're probably right though Jamie, best to look for an R motor. Or part it out.

• Member Contributer

Still waiting for my dealer to find out what exactly the deal is for main and rod bearings.....will post when I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any feedback on Vesrah gaskets? Might be able to get a set at low cost...

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the 84 VF1000F from capn, yesterday. He linked me to this forum, and I'm looking forward to gathering the info and parts to revive this project he started. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
I purchased the 84 VF1000F from capn, yesterday. He linked me to this forum, and I'm looking forward to gathering the info and parts to revive this project he started. :biggrin:

Welcome Steve. :laugh: Be sure to post some pics of the progress, I'm guessing you'll finish that one long before I finish my '85.

• Member Contributer
gallery_10340_3750_812241.jpgQuit with the winter talk already!

Did a bit more challenging ride earlier this evening after a hot day of yard work.

Anyway, the rear shock is now working as it should, stiff enough so it keeps the bike balanced and I can tell what the rear tire is doing but not harsh at all. Now I can tweek in the front as it`s shortcomings are becoming obvious. Need to get the damping in front so it`s not so harsh but still firm. The rear was so good and the front is almost there tonight that I was _accidently_ riding like I was in the woods dodging trees...

Jesus, I almost forgot why I don`t ride in town anymore, I`m going to get a ticket with this, it f&cking rocks !!!

Another gratuitous pic, this one in front of my daughter`s pool, which of course had to be inflated tonight even though it was getting dark...so it`s spending the night in the garage...too funny! Dad`s work is never done...

Looks good Tom!

That bike is Beautiful! I had an '83 that I miss alot.

I bought an 85 engine complete, and will pick it up this week. My first thought is to rebuild it, and put it in this bike. It looks, though, that locating rings, bearings, and gaskets could be a challenge. Another option is to just replace the lower case on the 84 engine that's in the bike and hope for the best.

I just went to DMV this morning and found out I'll have to pay just shy of $500 in back fees to get it registered and in my name.

However, I just found a 84 parts bike with 2 mostly complete engines, a good front end assy, and carbs. Been sitting outside for a year with the rocker covers off. So we may have some parts to share here.

So, how difficult is it to find hard parts for these engines, and how do I tell calif carbs from 49 state? :mad:

• Member Contributer
I bought an 85 engine complete, and will pick it up this week. My first thought is to rebuild it, and put it in this bike. It looks, though, that locating rings, bearings, and gaskets could be a challenge. Another option is to just replace the lower case on the 84 engine that's in the bike and hope for the best.

I just went to DMV this morning and found out I'll have to pay just shy of $500 in back fees to get it registered and in my name.

However, I just found a 84 parts bike with 2 mostly complete engines, a good front end assy, and carbs. Been sitting outside for a year with the rocker covers off. So we may have some parts to share here.

So, how difficult is it to find hard parts for these engines, and how do I tell calif carbs from 49 state? :schla15:

I believe the CA carbs only have an additional vacuum port on each carb body. Just plug them up, as I did, and all should be ok?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Word back from my dealer after some research....main bearings/connecting rod bearings/crankshaft bearings whatever are all green...they all revert to the green part number. I know that`s a generic answer but I don`t feel like posting all the part numbers as far as what`s discontinued, etc.

I guess theoretically you could have the cases/and/or the crankshaft/rods machined so all take the green bearings...

• Member Contributer
Word back from my dealer after some research....main bearings/connecting rod bearings/crankshaft bearings whatever are all green...they all revert to the green part number. I know that`s a generic answer but I don`t feel like posting all the part numbers as far as what`s discontinued, etc.

I guess theoretically you could have the cases/and/or the crankshaft/rods machined so all take the green bearings...

SteveH found a spare '84 motor, worked out the DMV paperwork and put it back up for sale. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/923589382.html

I hope someone will take this and put it back together in to a nice running bike.

• Member Contributer

Not much progress on my '85. Got the forks rebuilt with new bushings and seals. Almost have the carbs mounted, still working to seat them and tried a few throttle cables until I had a pair the right lengths. Got the front brakes and clutch lines installed and bled. Wiring harness is about 50% on. Coolant hoses installed. SteveH was nice enough to give me a spare fuel pump so I don't have to worry about that. Was shooting for Thanksgiving completion, don't think I'm going to make it. :biggrin:

IMG_6507Medium.jpg

I put the VF 1000 on e bay and there are 25 people watching the auction, but only one person bidding on it. i am including the lower engine case, as well as the original engine and an 85 engine as well. I have waded through all the DMV and made it easy for someone to pick up this project for less than I paid for it ORIGINALLY, and take it to completion. If it doesn't sell, I'll put it in my name, and fix it. I just really don't have the time or place to do the fix. And, frankly I don't think it's the bike I want as a classic sitting around. Someone on this board, remotely near Sacramento, must want to take this project to a finish. It CAN be a cool bike for a minimum of $$$.

While stripping a third engine to get a good lower case, I gained a bunch of pieces from trans to alternator to misc frame pieces, and a front end. Send ma a list of needs, and I'll do a pay it forward. VFRCapn can attest to it.

• Member Contributer
Not much progress on my '85. Got the forks rebuilt with new bushings and seals. Almost have the carbs mounted, still working to seat them and tried a few throttle cables until I had a pair the right lengths. Got the front brakes and clutch lines installed and bled. Wiring harness is about 50% on. Coolant hoses installed. SteveH was nice enough to give me a spare fuel pump so I don't have to worry about that. Was shooting for Thanksgiving completion, don't think I'm going to make it. :biggrin:

That is looking great! I like the blacked-out footrest hangers. Details, details!

No progress from me, after completing the 250 Interceptor, hauling a motor from the basement to replace the 85`s blown motor(which is sitting on the lift waiting), and months of pain, I finally gave in and had surgery on the tendons in my right hand a week ago. I`ll be out of any serious progress until Christmas...if I can stand it...bored and planning.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, some progress pics. It's getting there, waiting on a battery, spark plugs and air filter. May try firing it up by next weekend, I hope like heck it runs after all this.

I still need to graft the VFR switches in to the VF wiring harness, couple other minor electrical things, bleed the rear brakes and the big thing is still to strip and coat the gas tank and hope it doesn't start leaking after the rust is removed. I'm using the 1000F fuel pump and hope it outputs enough. It has smaller fuel lines and I ended up running all new smaller lines.

Spent countless hours now polishing nuts, bolts, exhaust, etc, sandblasting and painting brackets and other parts but I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel. Or maybe that's just my next project coming at me. :3:

IMG_6731Large.jpg

IMG_6715Large.jpg

IMG_6722Large.jpg

• Member Contributer
IMG_6731Large.jpg

I LOVE the all black look but I do have a concern that the forks are much beefier than the frame. Any thoughts about bracing? I haven't read the whole thread so maybe you have/did.

Guest vfrrider

Vfrcapn,

If your tank is bad, I have an OEM 86 tank in the garage looking for a home and could be had for cheap if you need another.

Larry

VFRrider

Archived