Vf1000r Rebuild

vfrcapn

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

edit: Also want to say thanks for everyone's tips, encouragement, ideas and everything else that contributed to getting this bike back together. Especially to SEBSPEED, VF1000RS, Kel, JamieDaugherty, Veefer800Canuck and motorhead1977.

For me, I was just living vicariously through your thread. Kind of like being in an entourage of some rock star, you can sort of get a taste of what it's like(to to get a project done) without actually achieving it. :biggrin:

Wow Kel, think you just summed up my life in one sentence! hehehe

Top work Capn, it looks a treat. What's your next project? :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

No worries on the thread, great info. I'm using the same hole on the subframe to eyeball the wheel alignment. I did notch the underside of the seat to clear the RC shock, no more than a 1"x2" cutout and it's just grazing the foam underneath. After looking at how bad the seat looked though, I had to fix that up today.

IMG_4892Small.jpg

IMG_4897Small.jpg

IMG_4913Small.jpg

IMG_4915Small.jpg

Still have to stitch up the rear strap.

IMG_4931Small.jpg

vfrcapn where did you find the material to recover the seat and bumper pad?

• Member Contributer

vfrcapn where did you find the material to recover the seat and bumper pad?

Just the local fabric shop, Jo-Ann's I believe. Just got lucky the color was a close match. It's not heavy marine type vinyl but should hold up well enough for a few seasons.

• Member Contributer

Feel proud brother. That is one sweet deal and the bike looks great! JD :beer:

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Off to a new home...

:sad:

But, but...

Cheers buddy! All we need now is an ATGATT burnout video! :fing02:

:biggrin:

The new owner is a member here and once he gets back from his overseas deployment maybe he can show the ATGATT burnout. Although I wouldn't suggest it on those new PR2's! :biggrin:

Sorry to see it go. On to the 1000F project now.........

• Member Contributer

They grow up so fast...only to leave the nest. Sorry to see them go.

That's why mine is chained to his bed

Thanks VFRCapn!!!! Can't say enough how accomodating he was in assisting a cross country purchase while I'm deployed. Can't wait to take leave in April to wax, shine, polish and tinker with it. White wheels and some racetech goodies in the forks sounds good. Oh yeah, ride it too. :biggrin:

I'll be posting pics once I get home. No burn outs!!!! Well, not yet at least. We'll need to bond before I start with the sillyness. Let the V4 collection begin. Next up, 86 VFR750. Anyone got any leads? My wife is gonna kill me :biggrin:

Thanks VFRCapn!!!! Can't say enough how accomodating he was in assisting a cross country purchase while I'm deployed. Can't wait to take leave in April to wax, shine, polish and tinker with it. White wheels and some racetech goodies in the forks sounds good. Oh yeah, ride it too. :biggrin:

I'll be posting pics once I get home. No burn outs!!!! Well, not yet at least. We'll need to bond before I start with the sillyness. Let the V4 collection begin. Next up, 86 VFR750. Anyone got any leads? My wife is gonna kill me :biggrin:

Congrats man! Safe journey home!

• 2 months later...

Couple 'final' pics of the bike. Last fall I found the carbs gummed up from sitting for so long and I just got around to taking them off, cleaning and reinstalling. Started right up with just a little choke and seems to be running well.

Next step was to drag it to the DMV and Highway Patrol last week for final inspections on a new title. Everyone signed off, after the CHP spent a couple hours giving me a beat down, and it's all legal now. Even had a short ride on it yesterday.

Fender still needs painting, front brake master needs a rebuild, rear shock needs adjusting and the forks are sticking a little on rebound. I may need to check the alignment on the triples and reset the front end to see if that helps. I should have replaced the springs when I was in to the forks too.

The temp sender and fan sender don't appear to be working but I have the fans on a switch. I think the temp sender is still available so I may just order one. It needs a new front tire but I was surprised how well it turns in at speed. It's still a beast to push around the garage though! There's a lot I'd like to do still, like replacing signals & mirrors, but the project budget is on empty right now so that's about it. Everything is assembled and the spare parts put away, feels pretty good after dragging it out for 2.5 years.

vf1kr_left.jpg

vk1kr_rear.jpg

vf1kr_right.jpg

Thanks for all the photos and the interesting story about your bike!!

I really enjoyed it.

And thanks for the engine info.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Off to a new home...

IMG_9175Medium.jpg

So that was 17 months ago....

Back in the garage now. Who says you can't go home again?

IMG_9279Medium.jpg

Have to thank smackdoogle for taking such good care of it and adding a new clutch and ss brake lines among other items. Maybe now I can finish what I visualized quite a few years ago. It's only time and money after all...

• Member Contributer

So cool! Congrats. Wish that would happen with my '83 V45 Interceptor but I'm sure it's long gone to bike heaven.

• Member Contributer

Aren't ROFRs great???

I had to look up "ROFR", I guess they are! :smile:

So cool! Congrats. Wish that would happen with my '83 V45 Interceptor but I'm sure it's long gone to bike heaven.

Wish I could get my CB750 cafe or my first owned bike back too, but I suspect they're in the same place as your V45.

I'm not planning on letting the R get away again.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! that was the first inspiration for me, glad to see it back to you.

So, what's next?

:fing02:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Updates???

Nothing to update, it's been sitting since November waiting for dry weather and temps where I don't need heated grips or vest.

• Member Contributer

bummer

Not really, I've got my VF1KR back in my garage, good enough for now. :wink:

I've got some SS rear brake and clutch lines that came back with the bike to install next.

• Member Contributer

I saw the subject come up in the list and I got excited for a second. I don't care if you're just dusting it off...post pics! That's one nice looking R.

• 6 months later...

I'm so glad you have your bike back- I've been considering buying a VF for a couple years and your thread is part of the reason I pulled the trigger this weekend! I've had one motorcycle fro 15 years, lots of time and energy/money invested, can't imagine letting it go, and to see you send the 1KR cross country and then get it back 2 thread pages later was a roller coaster! These are beautiful motorcycles- mine needs plenty of work, but I cant wait to get to it this winter. Right off the truck it has a wobble that wasn't there a week ago when I looked at it- guessing it was the trip down in the truck with tie-downs? Once I figure out the best way to get the front up I will loosen everything up and retighten, hoping that is the quick solution. Plan to go through the front end (and other things) properly over winter but was hoping to ride it until then! Keep us posted on how the riding is out in CA, I rode a bike out there once long ago...

Archived