I Will Never Wear A Mesh Textile Jacket Again!

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer
Sorry about the crash, Seb, but glad you're ok...

I'm surprised no comments about the solar glare and gear that helps....I commute every morning straight into the sun and same on the way home..I opted for the ugliest but utterly functional Super Visor (Whitehorse Gear, I think)...the thing really works! It is removeable but the tabs stay glued to the shield so I have other shields w/o the clips. I couldn't commute without it...damn thing is fugly but nothing else works as well.

good luck getting the bike back on the road.

Steve

Didn't your Mom ever tell you to live EAST of where you work?????

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Seb, how in the hell were you able to scrape your helmet all around? Were you tumbling while you were sliding?

• Member Contributer
Hey Seb,

Glad you were able to ride away from this one. I understand your reluctance about mesh gear, but must say, my JR textile held up incredibly well during my '05 off ... so I might make a distinction there. Nevertheless, I do feel most secure in full leather as I think most of us would.

Hope you're back on two wheels soon! :thumbsup:

Shannon

I've seen a lot of it do well too Shannon, but, I feel better in leather also, and I definetly feel better on the days Mitzie drags hers out instead of her textile.......................... :thumbsup:

I agree... after my last unscheduled flight, it's nothing buy leather and kevlar for me! Glad you are ok... but 4 bikes down, that blows!

without road hazards life would be very boring on the street, cheerish them

Without road hazards I might be putting some money into try to get into a house instead of blowing it by constantly having to fix sh#t. During the lower points of times like this I do think about giving up riding. Then I try to remember that there is no point to living a boring life, and continue to raise my level of happiness above that of my bank account... :goofy:

Without road hazards I might be putting some money into try to get into a house instead of blowing it by constantly having to fix sh#t. During the lower points of times like this I do think about giving up riding. Then I try to remember that there is no point to living a boring life, and continue to raise my level of happiness above that of my bank account... :goofy:

WOW! sorry to hear about all of this, that really sucks!

I do agree with you on the bank account thing........ Go big is how I think cause I can't take it with me later when I go.

Well I hope you have luck getting some help from the township or whatever down there.

On the lighter side, Tumbles is proud of ya! :goofy:

Glad you're ok

WOW! sorry to hear about all of this, that really sucks!

I do agree with you on the bank account thing........ Go big is how I think cause I can't take it with me later when I go.

Well I hope you have luck getting some help from the township or whatever down there.

On the lighter side, Tumbles is proud of ya! :goofy:

Glad you're ok

Can't wait to show him exactly how I went flopping down the road... with sound effects... :goofy: :lol:

• Member Contributer
Seb, how in the hell were you able to scrape your helmet all around? Were you tumbling while you were sliding?

I was thinking the same with that full halo around the helmet.....it must have been a pretty good roll as well as a slide....the helmet must have had pretty good contact with the road most of the way through to get the damage it did

Reading thru this thread, I think this is probably one of the stupidest statements I have seen on this entire forum.

Never mind the misspelling of "cherish". Sand-filled sweepers, potholes that can jar your teeth loose, oil-soaked corners from vehicles that probably shouldnt be on the road to begin with, who the h*ll wants that? Must be a Texas thing....

Glad to hear your ok Seb, and just to reiterate what a few others have said, I think the jacket did what is was supposed to do. Keep you cool and comfortable and protect you in a crash to within a certain degree. I have an Alpinestar ASR jacket I use for commuting around town but anything out of the city, my Teknics leather jacket goes on. But I sure hope I dont have to test either jacket altho I do have confidence in both.

I was thinking the same with that full halo around the helmet.....it must have been a pretty good roll as well as a slide....the helmet must have had pretty good contact with the road most of the way through to get the damage it did

Well, it was uphill, so I was probably sliding at an angle to the road, into it instead of across it. I went down on the left, so my knee hit first, then hand/shoulder, helmet. I think the textile has less friction on the asphalt and allowed me to slide longer than I would have with leather.

I remember sliding, then barrel rolling, and I went against my instincts and moved my arms from my sides a bit to try to stop(tap twice to make sure you're stopped), well, my hands touched a few times before I came to rest in the grass on the opposite side of the road.

Thanks Yosh. I don't mind the comments, everyone has a different point of view.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're ok Sebby.

When you come to CT I'll let you ride my bike a little bit if you promise to go slow. smile.gif

Best,

Dan

• Member Contributer

Well, it was uphill, so I was probably sliding at an angle to the road, into it instead of across it. I went down on the left, so my knee hit first, then hand/shoulder, helmet. I think the textile has less friction on the asphalt and allowed me to slide longer than I would have with leather.

I remember sliding, then barrel rolling, and I went against my instincts and moved my arms from my sides a bit to try to stop(tap twice to make sure you're stopped), well, my hands touched a few times before I came to rest in the grass on the opposite side of the road.

Thanks Yosh. I don't mind the comments, everyone has a different point of view.

Thank God for lack of oncoming traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made quite the moving speed bump!!!! :P

• Member Contributer
, my left ring finger is swollen at the tip and hurts like a b.

some good may have come your way.

now you cannot fit that wedding ring !!!!

:thumbsup: :P

Glad to read you are ok though :thumbsup:

Now, go out, shoot a cow and get into leather!

, my left ring finger is swollen at the tip and hurts like a b.

some good may have come your way.

now you cannot fit that wedding ring !!!!

:thumbsup: :P

Glad to read you are ok though :thumbsup:

Now, go out, shoot a cow and get into leather!

Wrong! It's stuck there now!! :goofy:

:goofy:

The leather part is easy, it's hanging in the garage and ready to go; as soon as I am.

The VTEC is getting it's front end swapped out today!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Thank you for the sound advice on the textile. I will be buying perf/leather for my "summer" jacket.

Guest 767fixer

i am going to pool along with some of the others. i think that if that much damage was done to you bike, the gear and especially the helmet, the speed had to have been up a good bit, and the textile gear although destroyed, i think did a great job at protecting you and i cant believe so many people are swearing to stay away from it. the "spot of arm rash mentioned, and a skinned knee, my left ring finger" injuries you mention are minor compared to what happened to your bike. others here have gone down at less speed and in leather and suffered greater injury. I went out riding at 8:30 pm last night to hit the local back roads while there was less traffic. i was dieing in my full leather gear. 90 deg att hat time and the adrenalin of riding had me hoping for a rain storm to cool down. if i go out again tonight it will be in my mesh gear, and yor accident provides some comfort in the protection of it.

Reading thru this thread, I think this is probably one of the stupidest statements I have seen on this entire forum.

Never mind the misspelling of "cherish". Sand-filled sweepers, potholes that can jar your teeth loose, oil-soaked corners from vehicles that probably shouldnt be on the road to begin with, who the h*ll wants that? Must be a Texas thing....

Glad to hear your ok Seb, and just to reiterate what a few others have said, I think the jacket did what is was supposed to do. Keep you cool and comfortable and protect you in a crash to within a certain degree. I have an Alpinestar ASR jacket I use for commuting around town but anything out of the city, my Teknics leather jacket goes on. But I sure hope I dont have to test either jacket altho I do have confidence in both.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the streets are not a track. You cannot and should not think the unseen road ahead has been swept and inspected by corner workers. This is very similar to when you were a kid, and they kept telling you to look before you dive into the water. After any rain there will be crap on the road, you should actually be expecting it shoudn't you?

I think the point he was trying to make is that the streets are not a track. You cannot and should not think the unseen road ahead has been swept and inspected by corner workers. This is very similar to when you were a kid, and they kept telling you to look before you dive into the water. After any rain there will be crap on the road, you should actually be expecting it shoudn't you?

Is that what you got from that statement? If so, where does "boring" and "cherish" come in?

Your post is quite clear, concise and understood. Ride safely and watch your surroundings. I can do without the potholes and sandy turns and I'm certainly not going to "cheerish" them.

• Member Contributer

Makres me think twice about my mesh Joe Rocket.

Glad you are able to bitch about the jacket.

• Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear of this news. I have not read all the posts as there are now over 100... So let me say my $.02 on the subject of gear. Leather is better. Bottom line. However... I am a textile guy. I do not do track days. Textile is one use and then toss it.. That's my thoughts when I make my purchase. However, your ICON did it's job. You crashed... it shredded and you were protected. You have leathers as many do. But when the weather gets hot most of the leather gets left behind. Today I went for a good ride. Two riders in Textile full dress... One rider in per leather jacket... and jeans with holes in them.. (too hot for the pants.) I ride in my first gear pants in all weather conditions. If it's hot then I'm in shorts under.

The best gear is the gear you will WEAR. Textile is much more comfortable and that means you will wear it. I totalled my 02 and slid on blacktop for 50' or more from a 60mph crash. Jacket tore up pretty good... Pants were only scuffed. Road rash... ZERO. Broken collar bone.. well don't think leather would have helped that.

Again hate to hear of your crash but please consider that you opted for the least amount of protection and the max level of comfort and the result was good... The gear did it's job. Consder the out come had you not chosen to wear that mesh jacket and went in only a shirt?

Kevin

Is that what you got from that statement? If so, where does "boring" and "cherish" come in?

Your post is quite clear, concise and understood. Ride safely and watch your surroundings. I can do without the potholes and sandy turns and I'm certainly not going to "cheerish" them.

Have you ever seen when they pave different lanes at a time, and sometimes the New lane will actually have a 6 inch ledge difference.

I was runninng in heavy rain on my bike around 70, and the lane next to me I could tell had been just put in. I couldnt see well enough to tell if there was a ledge there. So I tackled the lane change like the ledge was there ( hard quick counter steer).

This stuff keeps you busy on the street, just as mud across the road, potholes and all that stuff, or going into a corner full of golf ball size rocks.

Thats why I prefer nasty backroads, Its the ones with green moss bottom covered low water crossings I not thrilled with, Putt gingerly

P10100066.jpg

• Member Contributer
Thank God for lack of oncoming traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made quite the moving speed bump!!!! :P

I have first hand moving speed bump experience! Not cool! Two decisions I made after the accident:

1. I won't give up riding

2. I'd better slow the f*** down in the corners - the street is not the track. Expect 3 feet of sand, oil slicks, horse sh*t, etc. Its ok to have chicken strips for this very reason, and if I have to limit my fun without a full lean, so be it. The bike looks better upright than on the ground.

Maybe a Kevlar Draggin longsleeve t-shirt under the mesh would be good insurance? After the initial fall, the padding can be scraped away leaving just the highly abrasion resistant shirt. IMHO, mesh does a good enough job (if you buy the right jacket) at street speeds. At temps above 80, I can't speak for perforated leather cooling (although I doubt its as good as the mesh), but I won't wear my leather.

****Regardless of sweaty riding being less fun: subjecting your body to high temperatures for long periods of time, sweat in the eyes, and a general discomfort induce fatigue much quicker. Since I'm not conditioned like I was during two-a-day football practices (8 years ago now), this fatigue leads to careless mistakes that greatly increase the risk of an accident.****

****Regardless of sweaty riding being less fun: subjecting your body to high temperatures for long periods of time, sweat in the eyes, and a general discomfort induce fatigue much quicker. Since I'm not conditioned like I was during two-a-day football practices (8 years ago now), this fatigue leads to careless mistakes that greatly increase the risk of an accident.****

Which is why sometimes, it's just too hot to ride, and I would rather take my son swimming or run the a/c in the truck if I'm headed to work.

My (new) opinion.

Guest 767fixer

Which is why sometimes, it's just too hot to ride, and I would rather take my son swimming or run the a/c in the truck if I'm headed to work.

My (new) opinion.

Seb, how fast were you travelling? as stated i trully believe like others your gear did its job. if i followed the too hot principle i would never be able to ride here in florida from march till november :unsure:

Archived