I Will Never Wear A Mesh Textile Jacket Again!

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

What do you plan to do with your helmet? repaint and use or consider it damaged/totalled? I tipped a beer in your honor tonight!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seb,

I am glad to hear you are in decent shape.

Do you still have that second lift.... get busy.

When you get one up and running.... It's time for a 'stitch. Just my opinion.

Lee

the sand does however look completely avoidable from this picture (lean more and ride around or lean more and straighten up bike through it).

Hey now, go easy on Seb. He can't help it that he doesn't know how to ride! :goofy:

Nice to see our mods at work! :pissed:

Thanks for making my neck hurt while I laughed. :huh:

Seb,

I am glad to hear you are in decent shape.

Do you still have that second lift.... get busy.

When you get one up and running.... It's time for a 'stitch. Just my opinion.

Lee

When I get one up and running, I'll need a needle and thread to 'stitch' my bank account back together... :deer:

Thanks Lee. smile.gif

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Since I usually just lurk here, so I'll throw in my 2c at the risk of flames :

Do yourself a favor and read up on Textiles. You will find that they are not all the same. Some are polyesters that melt with heat, and others...not so much. Some makers don't know how to sew and cheap out on the stiching. Try reading reviews at WebbikeWorld.com about protective gear, for starters. Then read the MFR's clothing lables to see what they are made of before you purchase. All of this goes for leathers, too. Don't be a victim of marketing bling. I'm not implying that all ICON stuff is all bling and no protection. I actually don't have any first hand experience with it like you do now...but I do have some suspicions.

BTW, throw away the gloves, too. Like a helmet, a mesh glove is not taking a crash twice. Read up on gloves and I'll bet you'll be wearing some race grade gauntlets and second guessing your Ti-max stuff. That goes for quality boots, too. I see you have some nice Oxtars!

Good luck, and thanks for sharing so others will be inclined to learn, ride safer and make informed decisions.

-fish

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you're relatively OK, Seb. I too saw your bike at TMAC and it was a beauty. Those pics are scary and ugly. Got my attention.

What really pisses me off is kind of along the lines of what Turtlehead, I mean Turtlecreek said. It just never ceases to piss me off that there is ZERO consideration when maintaining and building roads that motorcycles travel them too and that the hazards "they" create for us aren't considered. Incompetent politicians at work again that just DON'T CARE.... :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Damn Seb....WHEW.... Glad U are OK!

Even though a lot of us wear textile jackets...it is a balance of risk, comfort & what we think might never happen, but prep for. I think the jacket pretty much did its job for you, all things considered.

So the real question is, what level of protection is one willing to wear vice comfort and what I call the "commute factor. I know I wear decidedly heavier gear when I leave out to do some sport riding, knowing full well that my pace will be higher....and not as much when I commute....its a RISK decision. When I ride my Goldwing, I gear up, but not to the level I do on the RC45/RC30/VFR...which one am I more likely to get smacked on....depends on how and where I ride, plus a host of other factors... but know I now find myself wearing my back protector on the Wing regularly ...because its easy to wear (I got a BMW one for now, but am getting another for racing/track use), doesn't add much to my discomfort level, that and too many memories & stories. I am even waiting on a Leatt neck brace for track/racing....but even that was a decision that I struggled with somewhat....but will I wear it (the neck brace) on the road....probably not. Should I, absolutely...if I evaluate the consequences of not doing so and needing it. So I make my choices and go!

A quick esoteric look at RISK:

RISK= probability x exposure x consequence

or....

RISK = (likelihood that negative consequences will occur) X (amount of time, # of people involved, number of repetitions done, etc.) X (potential loss: extent of damage, injury, equipment loss, etc.)

So we try to minimize the risk by using gear, getting training, practice skills, rely on a little bit of luck, learn from our experiences, evaluate the road conditions,; and so on.

Do we know a textile jacket is less protective....we should all see that...(and thanks for sharing your negative experience BTW...it does help others...and glad you can do so!)

We pay our money, and take our chances... and hopefully try to minimize the risk with the choices we make.....(because if I had to wear what my mother wanted to put me in when I first started riding -other than the fact she would have never let me ride if she'd had her way......) I would never have ridden just from the embarrassment alone.....LOL.

Will I continue to wear my textile jacket.....probably on those days I think it should do an adequate job.... although I am rethinking that now. But I did get a "Hit-Air" air-bag jacket (its mesh) after some research & demo testing -although not crash testing.....; and I will wear leathers (or a higher level of protection) when I sport ride; I will continue to eat fried chicken & shrimp & drink some beer now and again...hell yeah; ...but I have cut down on fried stuff and am trying to eat healthier.....I gave up smokes 30 years ago, quite playing cops & robbers in high crime areas & am diverting my need for speed away from the public roads....onto the mini-moto and circle tracks, wearing the same gear I would for a full fledged race...and gonna have a blast doing it.....

knowing full well the consequences if I frak up.....

enough rambling....glad you are OK...sorry about the bike. It can be repaired much easier and less costly than you can be....

..........and maybe I need to trash my textile jackets.

Hang in there!

Bad news, Seb! Glad you're (realtively) OK though.

I guess the dumb thing about your jacket is that Icon didn't consider the most likely impact points on the jacket. They could've made it mesh in parts, with leather (or solid textile) in abrasion prone areas. There's a jacket by Macna (A Dutch company, I think) that's like that - it has panels that uzip in the front and rear that let air flow through, but they're in places athat aren't abrasion-prone in an "off".

I hope you get all this sorted out OK, and that you get some compensation from the roading people. Here you can, but only if it's negligence, like gravelled roads that haven't been adequately signposted, or road work that isn't cleaned up properly.

• Member Contributer
man, i could only SSSSLLLLLOOOOWWWWLLLLYYYY scroll down through the pictures....ouch!

man i feel for you once again...

Me too. I paused a long time before I scrolled past that first shot.

I'm totally with you on the mesh gear. I rarely wear mine and definitely won't push it if I do.

Dang, Seb. Really sorry to hear about this, but glad you're OK. Looks like the bike is at least fixable. Hope you can get 'er running again sooner rather than later.

I think Seb already said he'd be 86ing the gloves, too. As for the helmet, it's best to ditch any helmet that's hit the ground hard. I can't imagine Seb using that one again.

As for those warning against mesh and/or textile jackets, I don't think they're so bad, but you have to know their limitations.

What do you plan to do with your helmet? repaint and use or consider it damaged/totalled? I tipped a beer in your honor tonight!!

It won't be used for motorcycling ever again, but it probably won't go in the trash. I'll probably strip the liner and cheekpads out, clean them, and save them for spares for my next Mainframe helmet, they fit me like a glove. Then I'll stick the semi-good side on a shelf to show any squids that might stop by...

As for those warning against mesh and/or textile jackets, I don't think they're so bad, but you have to know their limitations.

"Excuse me, County Route 57, could you please stop abrading me? My jacket has reached its limitations"

Sorry, I had to do it! :goofy:

The gloves are being 86'ed, I have a few more pairs, they were my only pair of summer weight gloves. I also have a pair of Icon Merc gauntlets, Icon Ti-max shorts, Joe Rocket gauntlets(thanks Skuuter!), and a pair of Alpinestars Drystar cold/wet weather gauntlet gloves.

I'll be looking for some closeout-priced Mainframe to replace this one, which replaced my last mainframe last October. I have an Alliance for backup.

I need new 'daily rider' boots, these didn't get beat up, but the little leak from the alternator cover peed all over my left boot while riding home...

• Member Contributer

Seb, truly sorry to see your pride and joy in that kind of shape, it hurt just seeing the pictures, but I'd much rather read about your bike and gear being trashed than you being hurt, I'm very glad to here you are okay.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to see that nice paint job go...

Glad you're OK though. This is the most important thing.

So, what's the next color gona be?

Sorry to see that nice paint job go...

Glad you're OK though. This is the most important thing.

So, what's the next color gona be?

Same color, I'll take back the black I did on the bottom and go back to the solid, one color it used to be.

I really like it a lot, I haven't seen the same color on another bike, I hand-mixed the color, and everyone likes it. Why mess with success, I say.

Edit, might be easier to throw some cheap track plastics on for now, while I'm fixing the nice stuff, then do a quick number on the race glass to make a couple $$'s back... ?

Sorry about the whole deal. But as everyone has said, it could have been much worse. The bike can be fixed and gear can be replaced. Hope everything goes back together for you.

I wear a Tour Master mesh jacket for my daily 11 mile commute one way and this is something that I will share with my wife, but as others have replied, for the money and the risk, it still fits what I expect it to do. I don't race to work everyday and am slabbing it 95% of the way (no nice twisties like that road could have been with the right maintenance) so I believe (right, wrong or indifferent) that the mesh gear will work for me. What this does do is push up my leather purchase so when I get the opportunity to take some rides and ride aggressivly I am covered and protected better. I've only had the viffer for three months so I'm still getting used to it and haven't made any trips or rides, but plan on hitting the Gap next year with the VFRD crowd.

Again, glad to hear you are OK for the most part and thanks for sharing your story regardless of how painful it may have been. This is another fine example of why I monitor and joined this forum because the knowledge shared here is invaluable.

Also, counties are always paying bills for fixing tires and such from poorly maintained roads. Don't hesitate to contact them. If this wasn't marked and had been like this for quite a while, I would think that you should have a decent chance at getting some financial assistance.

glad you're okay, that's quite a scrape.

guess i won't bother with the sliders or the mesh jacket i was considering buying - doesn't look like either really is worth it.

pretty scary that the roads were in that condition, i wonder if state/provincial gov'ts think about that when they leave shiite on the road like that. no account for motorcycles.

• Member Contributer

Sebbie, it coulda been a lot worse!

Send that stuff back to Icon, and tell 'em what you think.

Any day you wipe out like that and are able to ride again in short order.....is a good day.

And look at it this way: you crash, your bikes break down, etc. etc. man, nobody makes a bike that can outlast you, eh? :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about the crash.

Doesn't look like there was much you could do to avoid it.....

Glad you are OK and the gear basically served its purpose, even if it ended up shredded at the end of the slide. It is common for it to end up trashed after a wipeout.

I low-sided a few years back (back when the bike was pretty new to me) on some sandy-stuff (not as much of it, and I probably could have ridden it out if my panic response hadn't kicked in......)

My gear was (and still is) Joe Rocket textile jacket with Spike(sp?) pants.

Gear fared VERY well.

I was going slightly slower than you when I wiped out (by about 5 MPH), and my jacket has leather patches on the forearms and shoulders.

I landed primarily on left forearm / shoulder / foot.

A few MINOR scuffs in these areas are all that remain afterwards.

I replaced my helmet and gloves, but continue to use the jacket and pants. I think they are still 95+%, if I had to rate them for integrity.

For street riding, I still prefer my textiles (had a decent set of leathers before) for their comfort.

My point is that I wouldn't necessarily write off the textiles for future purchases; there might be something out there that suits your needs. Definately not all textiles are equal...

I bought mine because it seemed like the best of both worlds with its leather patches in higher risk areas.

I can't comment on ICON other than the ?Hooligan? gloves I have. I like them very much.

Anyhow, glad you are OK.

I'm sure you will buy what works best for your gear needs, just thought I would share my experience.

Man, that sucks. :goofy: The good news is that your still walking/talking. I've never really trusted the mesh jackets and you've unwittingly turned into a crash test dummy to prove the point.

As for the cause of the accident - any chance the SOB's who's crap attempt at road maintenance can be held accountable?

Cheers,

Skid

• Member Contributer

HOLY S#!T! I just read this. At first, I figured that this was a belated summation, form another time. Then I got to think'n about it,...different jacket. SO I'm posting, now. DAMN. Cut that crap out.

Had that been me,......I'd not have made it.

Better the jacket.

The following statment sucks, but it's the best you're gonna get,....

Good thing you can stand back and say, "look what I did, to the bike". Key word stand. For you are the man, and the bike, you can fix.

Bet that scared you more than me sneak'n up, on you. (By the way, you got me, like 3 more times, than I got you). I owe you. :goofy: And damn glad I still have the oportunity to owe you.

Guest Chris Nikirk

Sebastian, hope this doesn't ruin your plans to ride around Connecticut. And your post here has me taking a hard look at the AGV mesh jacket I wear.

I've always insisted on leather gloves versus mesh because I'm a musician and would be lost without my hands in perfect shape. I've got to get some boots and pants too.

You'll get it all back together soon :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Seb,

Just saw this and haven't read all the way through it yet. Glad to hear you're ok, and glad to hear that the jacket and gear did its job :-) Sorry 'bout the bike though....

When I wrecked in NY back 2 yrs ago, the only thing I walked away with (gear-wise) was a pair of gloves that I still wear. Guess I never put my hands out to protect myself...

Get 'er fixed and get better mesh! :-) (If that's possible...)

Cheers,

VFRnGTP

Archived