I Will Never Wear A Mesh Textile Jacket Again!

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer

The worst part about wearing leather on the street is that EMS will cut it off you before they go to work, which essentially makes it a "one time use only" jacket after a serious accident. My jacket had virtually zero wear from the crash, but two scissor cuts (one up each arm) rendered it unfixable without paying nearly as much to repair it as a new jacket would cost.

Granted, this is much preferred over refusing life-saving medical care in favor of not ruining your jacket, but nonetheless sends your jacket to the scrap heap.

Of course, this won't deter me from wearing leather, which is without a doubt the most protective riding apparel available - in fact I bought a used HJC jacket on ebay shortly thereafter - but it did make me think twice about paying $500 for Vanson leather that won't see the track until I can easily afford that kind of overkill on the street. Impact (with trees, cars, trucks, telephone poles, buildings, football sized rocks traveling 70mph, etc) is what injures (and kills) on the street, and there is little we can do about that, even with the best gear money can buy.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The worst part about wearing leather on the street is that EMS will cut it off you before they go to work, which essentially makes it a "one time use only" jacket after a serious accident. My jacket had virtually zero wear from the crash, but two scissor cuts (one up each arm) rendered it unfixable without paying nearly as much to repair it as a new jacket would cost.

Granted, this is much preferred over refusing life-saving medical care in favor of not ruining your jacket, but nonetheless sends your jacket to the scrap heap.

Of course, this won't deter me from wearing leather, which is without a doubt the most protective riding apparel available - in fact I bought a used HJC jacket on ebay shortly thereafter - but it did make me think twice about paying $500 for Vanson leather that won't see the track until I can easily afford that kind of overkill on the street. Impact (with trees, cars, trucks, telephone poles, buildings, football sized rocks traveling 70mph, etc) is what injures (and kills) on the street, and there is little we can do about that, even with the best gear money can buy.

I don't feel there is a "worst part" to wearing leather on the street. It's all good! I'm sorry to sound like I am arguing with every point you make, Sesand, I really am! :lol:

For the sake of keeping this thread in view of people, I'll add that having a jacket cut off you does suck, especially if it's not really damaged. But you can bet your butt that if I'm so hurt that they have to cut it off me, I will have plenty of down time in which to save for a new one! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
I don't feel there is a "worst part" to wearing leather on the street. It's all good! I'm sorry to sound like I am arguing with every point you make, Sesand, I really am! :lol:

For the sake of keeping this thread in view of people, I'll add that having a jacket cut off you does suck, especially if it's not really damaged. But you can bet your butt that if I'm so hurt that they have to cut it off me, I will have plenty of down time in which to save for a new one! :goofy:

Oh, no worries, bro! Part of me is just playing devil's advocate here anyway. My point is that mesh isn't as bad as you make it out to be for regular street use (except for maybe a few brands *ahem). I will without a doubt be donning my used leather HJC jacket when the temp drops under 70 degrees and isn't raining (I have a waterproof textile jacket for that). Let me know when you try out a nice perforated leather jacket, I'm interested to hear how it compares to mesh in about 80-90 degree, stop and go riding - if its even close, I'll be buying one in lieu of the mesh! I just really doubt it will do half the job at street speeds (the track being another story entirely).

Best of luck getting your bikes fixed, too!

Oh, no worries, bro! Part of me is just playing devil's advocate here anyway. My point is that mesh isn't as bad as you make it out to be for regular street use (except for maybe a few brands *ahem). I will without a doubt be donning my used leather HJC jacket when the temp drops under 70 degrees and isn't raining (I have a waterproof textile jacket for that). Let me know when you try out a nice perforated leather jacket, I'm interested to hear how it compares to mesh in about 80-90 degree, stop and go riding - if its even close, I'll be buying one in lieu of the mesh! I just really doubt it will do half the job at street speeds (the track being another story entirely).

Best of luck getting your bikes fixed, too!

Thanks sesand. I just bought a nice new perf'd leather jacket for a song on ebay. I'm not going to tell you what brand. :rolleyes: But Iwill let you know how things work out.

I another good note, I have a big expensive box of parts on the way that should solve my VFR problems... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Thanks sesand. I just bought a nice new perf'd leather jacket for a song on ebay. I'm not going to tell you what brand. :rolleyes: But Iwill let you know how things work out.

I another good note, I have a big expensive box of parts on the way that should solve my VFR problems... :thumbsup:

Just don't test it out by using it for its intended purpose! You won't need to prove that one for me smile.gif (Try to keep from backing it in to the corners, please!)

Steve

Thanks sesand. I just bought a nice new perf'd leather jacket for a song on ebay. I'm not going to tell you what brand. :rolleyes: But I will let you know how things work out.

Just don't test it out by using it for its intended purpose! You won't need to prove that one for me smile.gif (Try to keep from backing it in to the corners, please!)

Steve

LOL, yeah, kinda tough to make folks believe I was cruising after a story like that, huh? :rolleyes: What can I say, some days you feel the itch, some days you don't. And sometimes mother nature scratches it for you, even if you didn't have one... :joystick:

Sebastion, the salesman that he is, convinced me to ditch the Textiles. I am in the process of getting the Kobe leathers that weigh at least 15 lbs, altered to fit my "physique"..... thats kinda funny - the word physique, when used in conjunction with me........

anyways - i rode yesterday for approximately 8 minutes with said leathers on, and I lost 4 lbs, due to sweat. As a result of this finding, I plan to wear these leathers all day, every day, until I reach my optimum body weight. should only be a couple weeks.

Should I pass out from heat exhaustion while going about my daily business, I shall be safe - as long as my head doesn't slow my fall after I pass out. Wearing a helmet all day - not gonna happen, that isn't cool.......

If I should happen to be conscious enough during riding to actually have an "oh shit" moment, and I crash, I'm confident that the water inside the leathers will cushion my fall, and I will likely drown before I break any bones. Good thing I'm a good swimmer. HOpe I don't bust a collar bone.

Thanks Seb!!! :thumbsup:

Sebastion, the salesman that he is, convinced me to ditch the Textiles. I am in the process of getting the Kobe leathers that weigh at least 15 lbs, altered to fit my "physique"..... thats kinda funny - the word physique, when used in conjunction with me........

anyways - i rode yesterday for approximately 8 minutes with said leathers on, and I lost 4 lbs, due to sweat. As a result of this finding, I plan to wear these leathers all day, every day, until I reach my optimum body weight. should only be a couple weeks.

Should I pass out from heat exhaustion while going about my daily business, I shall be safe - as long as my head doesn't slow my fall after I pass out. Wearing a helmet all day - not gonna happen, that isn't cool.......

If I should happen to be conscious enough during riding to actually have an "oh shit" moment, and I crash, I'm confident that the water inside the leathers will cushion my fall, and I will likely drown before I break any bones. Good thing I'm a good swimmer. HOpe I don't bust a collar bone.

You're welcome, you sarcastic f- bastage!! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

You won't have to worry about too much bleeding, either, if you sweat out the majority of your blood volume! No more need for the diuretics, either, for those of you with hypertension (this should NOT be construed as actual medical advice)!

• Member Contributer

I don't give a damn about the brand. It's a matter of time before you turn it into cole slaw, anyway. :rolleyes:

What is want to know is WHAT SONG????

Best,

Dan

I don't give a damn about the brand. It's a matter of time before you turn it into cole slaw, anyway. :rolleyes:

What is want to know is WHAT SONG????

Best,

Dan

"I'm too sexy for my mesh, too" - uh, no, not that one... :joystick:

Icon Pursuit black w/ grey stripes, brand new, $139. :thumbsup:

Here's one like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Icon-Pursui...137981119QQrdZ1

GOt my KObe Leathers altered to fit me - only three extra cow skins needed to make it work.... can't wait to try them out and lose 30 - 40 lbs in a couple hours.

I guess I have to get me some of that special underclothing called PUG!!

• Member Contributer
GOt my KObe Leathers altered to fit me - only three extra cow skins needed to make it work.... can't wait to try them out and lose 30 - 40 lbs in a couple hours.

See, I wear leather all the time....5'7"/ 165lbs now......back in the "textile days"....6'6"/ 273 lbs..................... :thumbsup:

See, I wear leather all the time....5'7"/ 165lbs now......back in the "textile days"....6'6"/ 273 lbs..................... :thumbsup:

I don't know skutch... you even 'shrunk'... not sure I'd want that...

I just don't see how you guys don't sweat wearing mesh either... jeebus, I ride 20 mins to work in JR mesh and I'm like a sweat ball... not even sure what ends up growing in my helmet... couldn't imagine having to wear leathers down here for the commute... in fact today, I fully protected myself by wearing a golf shirt and dockers... but I'm a wild man on the brink of destruction anyway... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I just don't see how you guys don't sweat wearing mesh either... jeebus, I ride 20 mins to work in JR mesh and I'm like a sweat ball... not even sure what ends up growing in my helmet... couldn't imagine having to wear leathers down here for the commute... in fact today, I fully protected myself by wearing a golf shirt and dockers... but I'm a wild man on the brink of destruction anyway... :rolleyes:

Makes other parts of your anatomy seem larger........................ :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I just don't see how you guys don't sweat wearing mesh either... jeebus, I ride 20 mins to work in JR mesh and I'm like a sweat ball... not even sure what ends up growing in my helmet... couldn't imagine having to wear leathers down here for the commute... in fact today, I fully protected myself by wearing a golf shirt and dockers... but I'm a wild man on the brink of destruction anyway... :rolleyes:

Makes other parts of your anatomy seem larger........................ :goofy:

:rolleyes: feet ? B)

Martina

• Member Contributer

Makes other parts of your anatomy seem larger........................ :goofy:

:rolleyes: feet ? B)

Martina

Yes......you got it................. :goofy:

While sweating in my garage, wondering who designed the plastic fasteners on the VFR, I discovered an additional weightloss plan.

Don't buy new fasteners. The stress and frustration to not break one will cause an increased heartrate...this is the cardio portion.

Diet changes are important too. Since you didn't buy new fasteners, hold the one you removed between your lips so you don't lose it. Keep it here until you have ironed out all the bugs in the Electrical system. Guaranteed weight loss (and possible fainting from lack of nutrition.)

By all means work in an unventilated garage in the middle of a hot humid day as well. Wear jeans because swatting a mosquito off your leg with a soldering iron or a razor is not the best idea.

• Member Contributer
my feet are "huge" :rolleyes:

You know what they say about guys with big feet?

They can kick your @$$ from farther away! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Er, who makes Icon? Never heard of it. Based on that fact, I'd have to guess it was one of those Chinese-made "brand" companies with nowt behind them. Of course, Joe Rocket started out that way, and it is apparently fairly decent kit these days, but there was nothing behind it when it started, just the silly brand name...

It did mostly protect you in the spill, though. I just wouldn't be in a hurry to replace it with the same quality kit...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
my feet are "huge" :rolleyes:

Your wife said she married you for your shoe size Fixer......then was disappointed................. :rolleyes: ....J/K............ :P

Icon was started by Parts Unlimited, a big distributer here. I know that they have HJC making their helmets for them, so my guess is that all their other clothing and apparrell is being contracted to companies they distribute for, which makes sense from a big business point of view.

And for the record, I wear a size 13. :goofy: My Oxtar boots are 48's or 49's. :warranty:

• Member Contributer
And for the record, I wear a size 13. :goofy: My Oxtar boots are 48's or 49's. :warranty:

Then your wife must be way more disappointed than even mine :goofy:

................ :lol:

Then your wife must be way more disappointed than even mine :unsure:

your wife wasn't disappointed last time I was in FLA....... :salesman:

Archived