Cbr F4 Shock In Place Of Vfr Shock

turtlecreek

• Member Contributer

this is a shock thread and that was a random post.....but since you did it....i have run cozye's map for 2 years now....stinks to high heavens because it is VERY rich....no problem running with catless....oh, and she runs like a scalded dog too....i have not tried Jasons, but meant to....having no issues with cozyes, i just never got around to it.

It was random in the sense that it did not follow the previous posts, but the original post was about both the shocks and the catless header. I missed it way back when, but it does talk about using Cozye's map and just wanted to throw that out there because running lean can potentially cause damage. Just sayin'

this is a shock thread and that was a random post.....but since you did it....i have run cozye's map for 2 years now....stinks to high heavens because it is VERY rich....no problem running with catless....oh, and she runs like a scalded dog too....i have not tried Jasons, but meant to....having no issues with cozyes, i just never got around to it.

It was random in the sense that it did not follow the previous posts, but the original post was about both the shocks and the catless header. I missed it way back when, but it does talk about using Cozye's map and just wanted to throw that out there because running lean can potentially cause damage. Just sayin'

AH...gotcha...so long ago, i didn't remember....you are right about lean....all i can tell you is 2 years and no problems and lots of fuel smell, so i don't "think" it is an issue, but have not dynoed it to know for sure...

• Member Contributer

AH...gotcha...so long ago, i didn't remember....you are right about lean....all i can tell you is 2 years and no problems and lots of fuel smell, so i don't "think" it is an issue, but have not dynoed it to know for sure...

Fuel smell is probably as good of an indication as you can get, short of shelling out the bucks for a wide-band 02 sensor. A dyno itself won't tell you lean/rich, unless it's hooked up to a sensor.

• 4 weeks later...

I think there is some question on whether the 950 lb spring is the correct rate for TC's weight!

He was able to get desired Rider Sag, but were not sure about it having Any or proper Free sag. We plan on installing a 1200 lb spring on this shock soon and testing results, we'll post Free & Rider sag numbers as soon as we get them. :wheel:

BR

• 1 year later...

I think there is some question on whether the 950 lb spring is the correct rate for TC's weight!

He was able to get desired Rider Sag, but were not sure about it having Any or proper Free sag. We plan on installing a 1200 lb spring on this shock soon and testing results, we'll post Free & Rider sag numbers as soon as we get them. :fing02:

BR

BR, how did this work. I'm wanting to use the same F4 shock and 1200 lb spring on my 6th gen... and I'd like to get the parts ordered today from the cheapest source so I can be ready for T-Mac. Any advice?

Michael

• 4 months later...

f4vsvfrshock.jpg

no difference in the shocks...

if you look at the 1st post pictures, you will see the black adjuster. it is difficult to get to. like you said, if you set it and forget it, fine...otherwise, you might want to consider something else. i have tried to set it with spanner, but haven't spent a lot of time on it and didn't have success. once i get the bike out of my garage (no room to manuever) i'll see if i can do it.

Hi guys... does the access to the preload adjuster continue to be an issue?? have you found an easy solution to adjusting on the fly?? I change regularly from hardbags to no hardbags and would prefer to be able to adjust preload with realtive ease...

How did the stiffer 1200 lb spring go??

Any updates??

Bueller??

• 1 year later...
Guest tomoyzf13

Hi all..I also have the 03 vtec...so how easy is this cbr6 f4 shock change...mine has gone and now way does it need serviced..do I need to jack the linkage up and remove the back cyclinder pipes..all tips welcome as I'm a newbie...

• Member Contributer

Hi all..I also have the 03 vtec...so how easy is this cbr6 f4 shock change...mine has gone and now way does it need serviced..do I need to jack the linkage up and remove the back cyclinder pipes..all tips welcome as I'm a newbie...

Contact member Jamie Daugherty Motorsports

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/links/link/1157-daugherty-motorsports/

there are many write ups in the how to section or suspension forums cover all your questions.

no exhaust removal needed

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey guys,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I've just purchased a CBR600F4i shock for my 2003 6th Gen as well as one of these to (hopefully) overcome the issue of preload adjustment.

http://www.biketude.com/wp-content/gallery/vfr-shock-replacement/img_1241.jpg

The picture is shamelessly ripped from the following article:

http://www.biketude.com/do-it-yourself/replacing-shock-on-vfr-800-a/

I've yet to use either as they're still in the post but, at only 65kg (145lb), I'm hoping to get away with running the shock with no adaptation. I'm sure it'll probably need a stiffer spring, but only time will tell.

Edited by PardonezMoi

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I've just purchased a CBR600F4i shock for my 2003 6th Gen as well as one of these to (hopefully) overcome the issue of preload adjustment.

http://www.biketude.com/wp-content/gallery/vfr-shock-replacement/img_1241.jpg

The picture is shamelessly ripped from the following article:

http://www.biketude.com/do-it-yourself/replacing-shock-on-vfr-800-a/

I've yet to use either as they're still in the post but, at only 65kg (145lb), I'm hoping to get away with running the shock with no adaptation. I'm sure it'll probably need a stiffer spring, but only time will tell.

The spring is way to soft for the VFR . But a nice DIY and WELCOME ..

• Member Contributer

I just received this shock in the post from an eBay seller, and it looks rather bent to me. You can see it in the second photo by the angle the lower spring spacer sits at. Any opinions on whether to send it back or try and salvage it? I'm unsure whether shock shafts can be straightened in the same way fork stanchions can.

IMG_2131_zps03114978.jpg

IMG_2132_zps38ad81b5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Always keep your eye out for a used Ohlins or Penske...love my Ohlins BTW...

Best O luck.

Matt

• Member Contributer

I just received this shock in the post from an eBay seller, and it looks rather bent to me. You can see it in the second photo by the angle the lower spring spacer sits at. Any opinions on whether to send it back or try and salvage it? I'm unsure whether shock shafts can be straightened in the same way fork stanchions can.

IMG_2131_zps03114978.jpg

IMG_2132_zps38ad81b5.jpg

Either it was damaged in shipping or misrepresented. I'd look into getting a refund if it is the latter.

• Member Contributer

Hopefully the seller is cooperative. Ebay "buyer protection" is difficult at best and turned out to be useless to me in a similar situation. Best of luck with it.

• Member Contributer

The guy refunded me in full with no quibbles. I was really impressed with how he handled it and he let me keep the shock. I've another on order now and a free shock to experiment with.

• Member Contributer

So now I have a spare shock to disassemble and perhaps even reassemble afterwards if I'm doing well, does anybody know how much pressure an F4i shock takes? I'm assuming 150PSI but I've read some Showa units take 225PSI.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just in case you are still interested ... have a look at this: http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/05shock.htm

Roughly 242 PSI in the stock shock off an '05 CBR 600 RR.

Dude great article . One of the best explanation of a rear shock .

"Spring and damper, know the difference. Preload is for changes geometry, Spring is for changes in load, and the damper is for changes in velocity. It really is that simple. "