What's Your Favourite Back Protector

radar

• Member Contributer
I wear the Icon Armor Vest everytime I get on my ride but would probadly get something better if I had the extra money.

Don't get me wrong it is great and very comfortable and looks like it would be great if I was to go down, but I've seen some

of the new armor that has the full sleeves and chest protection and would probadly go that route.

And the Icon would probadly not be track worthy. Nice on the road and there is no doubt better then the crappy foam that comes in most jackets.

Glad to here you like yours.....a friend priced me his bought new/ never worn about a week ago for about 1/3 retail......getting a divorce and sold his bike. May go get it today................... :thumbsup:

It's the only piece of equipment that I have not purchased yet and with the disscussion of safety equipment lately it has got me to thinking that should be next on the list for myself and daughter, +1 on safety. With the research I have done so far the Tpro Forcefield aka JR speedmaster, seems to be at the top of my list after reading a few reviews. So if you are using a forcefield I'd like your opinion and if you are wearing something that you think is better lets here that too.

gallery_2083_2594_25243.jpgDianese Back protector

This is what I have. It is resonably cool in the heat and covers me from neck to the base of my spine. It was not too expensive. I think I paid about $80 at CycleWorld (it may have been on sale though because I cant seem to find one online for less than $99)

My only problem might be the fit. I'm a big guy, meaning fat. Yep, one of the larger VFR owners here, I'm quite sure. I'm losing a bit now, but will want a protector that fits properly and can be worn for hours without problems.

If you have a suggestion I'm open to ideas since I haven't shopped for one of these before. Thanks!

If you are as big as you say you are then this one is not for you. The fit around the waist is limited. When I first bought it, it fit perfect. Now that I am 25 lbs heavier, it has started to get a bit tight.

• Member Contributer

I use the cheaper version of the AlpineStars one. I bought it for my second track day, and now I wear it almost every ride. I wore it for the 9-10 hour trip down to NC for the Fall Dragon ride, the whole time down there, and the way back. Once I get it settled, I don't notice it, and I sure feel more secure. The foam POS that came in my JR jacket is on a shelf in favor of the real deal.

It doesn't have shoulder straps, though, so it slides around the tiniest bit until I get it in a good spot. In hindsight, I would get one with shoulder straps if I had to do it again.

9cb6000519b075f98f86bab083b408b9_rough.jpg

• Member Contributer
I wear the BMW Motorrad unit every ride. It's comfortable, provides a great amount of coverage, and is fairly light weight.

Here's a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protec...back-protector/

Michael Means

This was my second choice, but the reviews on comfort has been mixed, but I am more inclined to believe your thoughts than somebody being paid to write an article, from actually testing this was considered one of the best for protection.

I wear the BMW Motorrad unit every ride. It's comfortable, provides a great amount of coverage, and is fairly light weight.

Here's a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protec...back-protector/

Michael Means

This was my second choice, but the reviews on comfort has been mixed, but I am more inclined to believe your thoughts than somebody being paid to write an article, from actually testing this was considered one of the best for protection.

Well, I don't work for some fancy-pants Bike Magazine or BMW. I ride a 3rd hand 2000 VFR. I wear a two piece leather suit when i ride, some days in the 98*F / 37*C with 100% humidity summers to just last weekend when it was 27* F / -3*C. It does breathe well in the summer I can say that. When I stop for a break often the jacket is off soon after the helmet but the spine guard is often forgotten. Maybe it's because any cooling of removing the jacket is good enough. In the winter it does not act as a heat wick and leave me with a toasty chest, from the heated vest, and an ice chilled spine.

Is it for everyone? Heck, I have yet to meet eveyone but I can say that if you are ever in the market again you should at least stop at a BMW dealer and try one on. The only real trouble I've had out of mine was the test fit in the store. The hook side of the velcro belt reached out and bit my very favourite silk tie. I was a bit alarmed but my pocket knife made the ripping of silk threads much less noticeable.

Give one a try, just wear a tie you happen to hate. wink.gif

Michael Means

I wear the BMW Back Protector 2 as well. Mine fits so good, once it's on I pretty much forget about it. It's slightly warmer than the back protector built into my jacket but not enough to cause any discomfort.

Well, interesting topic.

I've been wearing a Bohn model for years... probably since about 2001. It's this model:

Bohn Back Protector

I've always found it comfortable... except the times it rides up and sticks out of my leathers/jacket... Another thing I like about it is that it reminds me to keep my posture straight, and that makes longer days in the saddle more tolerable.

Now, in the minus collumn... I had this unit on when I went down in Sept 2005. Whether it would have been worse or not without the unit is speculation, they only really advertise these things to stop point impacts into your spine causing paralysis... however, I suffered numerous front injuries, but the troubling ones were a break to T10, the thorasic vertebra below the lumbar. And my Scapula was broken into three pieces... if you look at the picture, you'll see that it is padded and covering the scapula.... so why???

I've heard the old phrase about the patient that complains to the nurse that the pill he took an hour ago did nothing... only to hear the nurse reply that without it he would have been worse. So, should I be happy for whatever it did do and not expect more?

For now, I am still wearing it. I thought a while about the ICON suit that has plates front and rear... but didn't do it. It's not really even marketed for track use, even though Baileyrock has one and has used it a lot in the past...

In a perfect world, I'd buy a new one with more rigid back plates... but for now, I'm just gonna try to crash less! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I wear the Icon Armor Vest everytime I get on my ride but would probadly get something better if I had the extra money.

Don't get me wrong it is great and very comfortable and looks like it would be great if I was to go down, but I've seen some

of the new armor that has the full sleeves and chest protection and would probadly go that route.

And the Icon would probadly not be track worthy. Nice on the road and there is no doubt better then the crappy foam that comes in most jackets.

Glad to here you like yours.....a friend priced me his bought new/ never worn about a week ago for about 1/3 retail......getting a divorce and sold his bike. May go get it today................... :thumbsup:

Here's pics of mine. Can't beat this for 1/3 retail. Enjoy Skuuter

gallery_6414_1084_40594.jpg

PICT0350.JPG

gallery_6414_1084_231807.jpg

PICT0349.JPG

i am pleased to say that i have NOT tested how well my back protector actually protects.

That said, i am very pleased that mine has a very wide, tight, and substantial kidney belt integrated into its design.

Somebody correct me if i am wrong here, but the more aggressive the position on your bike, the more important a kidney belt becomes.

• Member Contributer
i am pleased to say that i have NOT tested how well my back protector actually protects.

That said, i am very pleased that mine has a very wide, tight, and substantial kidney belt integrated into its design.

Somebody correct me if i am wrong here, but the more aggressive the position on your bike, the more important a kidney belt becomes.

What kind of protector do you have, I am not sure about body position, but our one accident report on this thread was WERA910 post, worth reading.

• Member Contributer
Where does one get the Forcefield?

It is much easier to find the JR speedmaster, which is the same thing according to this article http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protector/tpro-bohn/, here is a listing with newenough, http://www.newenough.com/armor_joe_rocket_...tector_page.htm, there is also several on ebay, I was thinking of ordering from newenough as they have an excellent reputation and a promotion of free shipping on JR products

It is much easier to find the JR speedmaster, which is the same thing according to this article http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protector/tpro-bohn/, here is a listing with newenough, http://www.newenough.com/armor_joe_rocket_...tector_page.htm, there is also several on ebay, I was thinking of ordering from newenough as they have an excellent reputation and a promotion of free shipping on JR products

Interesting. The Odell version is sold here in the US http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm and is not a universal fit, according to the manufacturer's site: http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/back_protector_sport.asp

• Member Contributer

Interesting. The Odell version is sold here in the US http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm and is not a universal fit, according to the manufacturer's site: http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/back_protector_sport.asp

I ordered from Johnson Leather. Very helpful on the phone and fast service.

What a timely thread. I'm looking at back protectors now, planning to buy one before spring hits. I may not wear it all the time, but will definitely want it for spirited riding, esp. my BRP trip in May.

My only problem might be the fit. I'm a big guy, meaning fat. Yep, one of the larger VFR owners here, I'm quite sure. I'm losing a bit now, but will want a protector that fits properly and can be worn for hours without problems.

If you have a suggestion I'm open to ideas since I haven't shopped for one of these before. Thanks!

New Enough also has the 7 plate Teknik on Ebay for the same price as on their website. But here is some info they wrote that might help you decide... The model in this picture is 6' tall, so you can get a feel for the overall sizing. Max size of the midsection to be comfortable with the 7 plate is about 46".

• 7 months later...

I just bought a forcefield back protector and chest protect and it arrived today.

It is actually a lot more robust than I thought. Even better news is they fit in my leathers already!!! I was really sweating it as I was not sure how thick they are. They are really comfortable and flexible, but I have a feeling they will be hot. Oh well, better safe and sweaty than busted up and dry!!

bought them here. nice service, quick delivery:

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_back_protector.htm

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_chest.htm

atgattPLUS baby!

I just bought a forcefield back protector and chest protect and it arrived today.

It is actually a lot more robust than I thought. Even better news is they fit in my leathers already!!! I was really sweating it as I was not sure how thick they are. They are really comfortable and flexible, but I have a feeling they will be hot. Oh well, better safe and sweaty than busted up and dry!!

bought them here. nice service, quick delivery:

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_back_protector.htm

http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcefield_chest.htm

atgattPLUS baby!

I've got both of these myself. :goofy:

Awesome product! Fit's great under my leathers, and very thin. Once the armor warms up from your body heat, it molds to your body. Very comfy.

I picked up mine at Motostrano. They'll match any competitors price, plus I'm also a member of this other forum so I get 10% off too. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
I've been wearing a Bohn model for years... probably since about 2001. It's this model:

Bohn Back Protector

Oooh, a fellow Bohn owner... Hopefully, you're not still using it (I'm replying to a very old post). The history of "Bohn" isn't very pretty, and the resemblance to the Knox products of years gone by is not a coincidence. A Web search failed to turn up the information I was looking for, but the allegation is that Actionstation, the company that manufactures Bohn products, was once the US distributor for Knox, a UK company, and later decided to "knock-off" the latter's "Carbon-Kevlar" back protector design--without acknowledgment of its source or doing any testing. Confidence-inspiring business practices, to be sure...

Ironcially, from the WERA forum, here, here and here are some very informative posts about back protectors in general, and Bohn crap in particular. (Oops, did I show my hand, there?) I bought their "Aerostich" model, but ended up buying a proper Knox protector soon afterwards. Unfortunately, the Knox isn't designed to be affixed into a Roadcrafter suit, and consequently I don't wear it all the time, like I should...

I was actually looking for information on the Aerostich "Back Pad" and saw this old topic. Although I swear by my Roadcrafter suit (my second in 15 years), I have never liked the armor they fit into them. The first thing I did when I got my new 2-pc suit a few years ago was pull the TF2 foam junk and fit "proper" CE-marked Hiprotec armor from Hein Gericke. (Makes the suit heavier, but less bulky, btw.) Browsing the RiderWearhouse catalog this evening I noticed something I'd never seen before, which was their statement on the protective qualities of the foam stuff they sell with their suits: "Legal Notice: These garments are not considered to be personal protective equipment as defined in, or within the scope of, the personal protective equipment (EC Directive) regulations 1992 (S.I.1992/3139). No liability will be accepted arising out of these garments’ non-compliance with such regulations." Wow! :warranty: So, if they're not sold as protective, what are they, decorative?

Apart from Hein Gericke (not sure if it is available in the USA), I believe Knox also sells CE-marked armor pads separately, and if you're concerned about the quality of the "G" in ATGATT, you'd be well advised to look into retro-fitting some of it into whatever protective clothing you're wearing if it isn't CE marked, and properly so.

Ciao,

I wrote this review - http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33033 - of my Teknic back protector several months ago. I usually only wear this for sportriding and/or long distances, but it's comfortable enough to wear all day. Unless something happens to this one I don't think I'll ever need to replace it.

thought i should pipe in on this one, now that i've given mine a proper test.

hopped off my track bike at about 100kph. wearing full gear and a knox contour race back protector (was wearing the optional chest protector that fits with it, as well).

it works well. not sure how hard i hit my back - but there wasn't a bruise on it.... plenty elsewhere.

best thing about it is that you don't even notice it's there when you're wearing it... very comfy.

• Member Contributer

HPIM3957.jpg

Knox...

I sliced off a bit at the bottom so it fits better inside my leathers (resewn the outer material) so it looks a bit raggd...

Wear it, always!

(having had 8 ribs fractured and live to tell the tale -without a backprotector- does that...)

Archived