What's Your Favourite Back Protector

radar

• Member Contributer

It's the only piece of equipment that I have not purchased yet and with the disscussion of safety equipment lately it has got me to thinking that should be next on the list for myself and daughter, +1 on safety. With the research I have done so far the Tpro Forcefield aka JR speedmaster, seems to be at the top of my list after reading a few reviews. So if you are using a forcefield I'd like your opinion and if you are wearing something that you think is better lets here that too.

• Member Contributer
It's the only piece of equipment that I have not purchased yet and with the disscussion of safety equipment lately it has got me to thinking that should be next on the list for myself and daughter, +1 on safety. With the research I have done so far the Tpro Forcefield aka JR speedmaster, seems to be at the top of my list after reading a few reviews. So if you are using a forcefield I'd like your opinion and if you are wearing something that you think is better lets here that too.

I have the Forcefield. Love it. Can't tell you have it on. Product oozes quality. Do not know if it would be hot in the summer, but have worn on 70 degree days; not noticeable hot.

• Member Contributer
When I finally save up enough money, I'll probably get one of these: http://www.impactarmor.com/

If it's good enough for the Haydens, Colin Edwards, and Troy Corser, then it's good enough for me. :D

Looks well made, but it doesn't look like it would be very comfortable in warm weather...worth considering though

When I finally save up enough money, I'll probably get one of these: http://www.impactarmor.com/

What a terrible website!

I gave up on trying to find the back protector, cause I got so annoyed by things that looked like links that weren't, and links that were links leading me where I didn't want to go.

I have a back protector built into my Teknic jacket, but it also has a pouch in the back for a 'proper' back protector. If I was serious about safety, I'd wear one that straps to me, not the jacket. Armour works best if it stays in place over the bits it's supposed to be protecting.

• Member Contributer
I use this one: Spidi Back Warrior Back Protector

It is very light and quite breathable. Not so cheap though.

6d558ec4a00edfdd8a208c3674c52663_rough.jpg

I haven't read anything on this one, looks like it has some serious protection, and my second worry was wether the back protector would be comfortable for the female form, so little is made for women, it's nice to know that you like the way this fits, as it is important for me to find a good fit for my daughter.

• Member Contributer
I use this one: Spidi Back Warrior Back Protector

It is very light and quite breathable. Not so cheap though.

6d558ec4a00edfdd8a208c3674c52663_rough.jpg

I haven't read anything on this one, looks like it has some serious protection, and my second worry was wether the back protector would be comfortable for the female form, so little is made for women, it's nice to know that you like the way this fits.

Well, it could fit better, but I am not complaining. As you said - it seems like a serious protection even though I did not crash tested nor I am planning on to ... I will have more to say about the fit after the 2 trackdays I am taking in February with STT... will report then again :pissed:

M.

• Member Contributer
What a terrible website!

I gave up on trying to find the back protector, cause I got so annoyed by things that looked like links that weren't, and links that were links leading me where I didn't want to go.

I agree on the poor design of the site.

Try this link: http://impactarmor.homestead.com/buyonline.html

Hope that helps.

sPOTO

I have both the Dainese Wave and the Knox KC2000 X1. They are both quite comfortable, with the Dainese being a hard armour unit and the Knox using a softer honeycomb style. The Dainese is a bit cooler, since the plastic is vented, and easier on the shoulders, while the Knox provides wider coverage, especially up at the shoulder area, at the expense of trapping heat a bit more.

Both are highly rated and would do well to protect you.

Interesting article here from British mag "RIDE": http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/pdf/reviews/RideArticle.pdf

Wargoose

What a terrible website!

I have a back protector built into my Teknic jacket, but it also has a pouch in the back for a 'proper' back protector. If I was serious about safety, I'd wear one that straps to me, not the jacket. Armour works best if it stays in place over the bits it's supposed to be protecting.

Those foam pads most suit makers like Teknic includes in their jackets as back protectors, are no good at all. I would take them out, throw them away and buy a proper back protector instead.

I have a Dainese "Backspace2" back protector that I love using, because of it's compact size and it's laterally articulated waist. It's was the first one to have that big hinge at the lower back so that your lower body can move more independently from you upper torso. It also has a full harness design that keeps it in place very well while riding. Only problem with most back protectors, is, you WILL know that you are wearing it, cause most of them do take up some room and somewhat limits your upper torso's flexibility, depending on how stiff the design is. Those one piece high density foam based, non-articulated ones, specially.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I picked up this one when I started doing trackdays. Really comfy. I think they are about $140 US.

Alpinestars

Regardless of brand etc. Always buy the best protection you can afford.

A no brainer but I thought I would repeat it

gallery_787_2077_29340.jpg

back protector

• Member Contributer
I picked up this one when I started doing trackdays. Really comfy. I think they are about $140 US.

Alpinestars

back protector

Funny you're saying that. I am in the process of taking race course and do trackdays, so obviously I will need a back protector. I was actually aiming for as cheap as I could get away with.

Now you're making me think, and my wallet does not like it one bit. :beer: To you, Dennis The Menace!

Guest 767fixer

Personally i'd take this back protector, but the way he was staring me and oyama down i think he might have something to say about it.

daytonaride050.jpg

What a timely thread. I'm looking at back protectors now, planning to buy one before spring hits. I may not wear it all the time, but will definitely want it for spirited riding, esp. my BRP trip in May.

My only problem might be the fit. I'm a big guy, meaning fat. Yep, one of the larger VFR owners here, I'm quite sure. I'm losing a bit now, but will want a protector that fits properly and can be worn for hours without problems.

If you have a suggestion I'm open to ideas since I haven't shopped for one of these before. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Alpinestars

back protector

Funny you're saying that. I am in the process of taking race course and do trackdays, so obviously I will need a back protector. I was actually aiming for as cheap as I could get away with.

Now you're making me think, and my wallet does not like it one bit. :goofy: To you, Dennis The Menace!

I am always willing to help other people spend their money. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I wear the Icon Armor Vest everytime I get on my ride but would probadly get something better if I had the extra money.

Don't get me wrong it is great and very comfortable and looks like it would be great if I was to go down, but I've seen some

of the new armor that has the full sleeves and chest protection and would probadly go that route.

And the Icon would probadly not be track worthy. Nice on the road and there is no doubt better then the crappy foam that comes in most jackets.

The forcefield back protector has to be one of the best hands down. I would get the chest protector to. The WERA guys have said that the impact armour takes months to get if you can get a responce.

What a timely thread. I'm looking at back protectors now, planning to buy one before spring hits. I may not wear it all the time, but will definitely want it for spirited riding, esp. my BRP trip in May.

My only problem might be the fit. I'm a big guy, meaning fat. Yep, one of the larger VFR owners here, I'm quite sure. I'm losing a bit now, but will want a protector that fits properly and can be worn for hours without problems.

If you have a suggestion I'm open to ideas since I haven't shopped for one of these before. Thanks!

Most have fully adjustable waist bands made of stretch material with large hook & loop (read Velcro) fasteners at each end. The bands for your shoulders are also stretchy, but if most of your size is around the waist, then that is where you may need to modify it a bit. If you are handy with a sewing machine (or have a wife who is) you can purchase wide swatches of stretch material and some hook & loop stuff from a supply shop and either sew an extension onto one of the bands and add the Velcro to the other side, or just add the Velcro to both sides and use it as a loose extension piece.

The key to all of the waist and shoulder material is to ensure that the back protector does not move around either while you are riding or, if lady luck is off on a cigarette break, crashing. Your jacket/suit's fit also contributes to how well this stuff fits and stays in place. Always take your suit with you (both pieces if it's a two-piece) and try the protector on underneath. If your jacket has a built in foam/plastic unit that can be removed, then remove it. It's adding very little protection for you and you need the space for a proper piece of kit. Keep in mind that you need your back protector to cover from the base of your neck down to your tail bone, so the lower part will tend to tuck into to waist of your pants. This is why wearing one with just a jacket and jeans tends to look odd since the bottom of it will often poke out beneath your jacket.

Personally, I always ride with a full leather two-piece, and always with a back protector. If you think you need one on the track, imagine how much more it is needed on the street, where if you drop the bike there are a lot of things that you can hit (vehicles, light poles, fences, trees, road signs, rocks, etc) that could cause serious internal injuries. The back protector helps absorb such impacts and spread the load over a wider area, hopefully preventing damage to your spine or organs. My wife used to work in ER admissions and saw many a motorcyclist walk in from a crash only to die shortly thereafter from internal bleeding that was not found quickly enough.

Wargoose

• Member Contributer

I use a Vanson protector in the rear of my jacket. I can't tell it's there, and much better than a thin sheet of foam...

4_200h.jpg

pic courtesy of NewEnough

I also have a JR protector I use on occasion...

medium.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have to say that I am glad to see the amount of interest in back protectors, thanks to those that have posted and if you have a back protector and haven't, your opinion is still wanted cause it looks like I am not the only one who wants one. :thumbsup:

i have to say, i'm most impressed by the impactarmor back protector - i think a back protector should be as compliant as possible while still providing point-load impact... anyone have first-hand experience with one of those - or at least in ordering one?

the site is pretty welfare.

Archived