31 years ago...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Two days after buying the VFR I got caught out by loose sand on a highway exit and down I went. Skinned knee and separated A-C joint (collarbone) for me and some plastic damage to the VFR. Three weeks later we were both back on the road, definitely nervously on that first ride.

A couple months later I took a longish day trip: ferry to the mainland, Hwy 1 to Hope, north on Hwy 5 over the Coquihalla to Merritt, Hwy 8 to Spences Bridge, then back on Hwy 1 to the ferry terminal at Tsawwassen, and back home. About 750 km/450 miles and 2 90-minute ferry rides.

This photo is on the Coquihalla with Yak Peak in the background. Despite appearances, I am not praying but it's clear why I never had an acting career.

VFR on Coquihalla w:Yak Peak, May '93.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Despite appearances, I am not praying but it's clear why I never had an acting career.

VFR on Coquihalla w:Yak Peak, May '93.JPG

Because you were trying to act like you were praying?

• Member Contributer

Or were you praying that you were acting? 🙂

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Because you were trying to act like you were praying?

That's what happens when you go for the pensive George Clooney, but without the looks or talent.

• Member Contributer

This is nearly 41 years ago...before the invention of colour! Not sure why I'm looking so stern...my girlfriend took the photo. It is easy to see why I never made it into the movies too. This was the bike that I borrowed for a test-ride from the dealership I worked part-time at, and dropped at over 100mph discovering just how powerful those front brakes were in a pre-ABS world...this is the "after" photo, after I purchased and repaired the thing. Maybe I was thinking about how stupid I was (and to be fair, still am). 

vf750f2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Terry said:

This was the bike

I remember reading the magazine articles about the VF750F and being amazed. They looked like something from the future. Repeat with the '86 VFR750 and RC30. That might explain how I've come to own a series of Honda VFRs over the past 3 decades.

Edited by Lorne
correct typos

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Terry said:

This is nearly 41 years ago...before the invention of colour! Not sure why I'm looking so stern...my girlfriend took the photo. It is easy to see why I never made it into the movies too. This was the bike that I borrowed for a test-ride from the dealership I worked part-time at, and dropped at over 100mph discovering just how powerful those front brakes were in a pre-ABS world...this is the "after" photo, after I purchased and repaired the thing. Maybe I was thinking about how stupid I was (and to be fair, still am). 

vf750f2.jpg

A youthful Giacomo Agostini - Lady killer! :wub::wheel:

Beautiful memories. There's something about how bikes can link us back to memories of places we've been and trips taken. 

Ten years ago I was stranded on the dock at Cherbourg, France, because the ferry I was catching home to Ireland (an 18 hour overnighter) had a radar problem. Eventually we were allowed to board but I had to leave my VFR quayside. They were basically only allowing us on to give us all a place to sleep for the night. They attempted to empty us out the following morning with promises of other ferries but a few of us hung on and explained that we were entitled to do so under EU law. There was no guarantee that an "alternative sailing" would actually take us and once you've left the boat you're on your own. Eventually made friends with many of the staff, got a tour of the ship, saw the bridge, got the VFR onboard and got home a day late. The poor French lad I'd helped out through this, on a nice Kawasaki ER6, had a day robbed from his tour of Ireland because of it but I managed to get him a cabin so he was comfy (until he got to Ireland where it pissed rain..poor guy).

Photo below of the VFR fully-loaded dockside. The two Beemer guys disappeared the morning the ferry was emptied, think they chanced the "alternative sailings" thing. Actually the Larry David lookalike there was riding a Honda Silverwing maxiscoot!

One more edit - I'm sitting here now with my baby daughter asleep in my arms and am married to the woman who I was traveling back and forth to France for. We've our own little home, a lovely little dog, and a shed where I can work on/admire my two VFRs. If you'd told me that was gonna happen 10 years ago when that picture was taken I'd have been astounded. Life moves fast.

France, La Ferte Bernard, Le Mans, 674.jpg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

Ahhhhh, the lovely VFR color. 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fabio222 said:

Life moves fast.

Don't it just? Thanks for sharing a great story.  

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Ok Lorne, you got me sucked into this topic. May 2006, my riding buddy Markus chatting it up as usual with another two-wheel enthusiast at about 4000 ft near Asheville on the BRP. 6th gens, my red and his silver. I've always really liked this photo.

Appalachians 05.06 029.jpg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, St. Stephen said:

Ok Lorne, you got me sucked into this topic.

Oh darn 😉

Love the photo, really does look like the top o'the world.

And going back another 20 years - long before Soichiro Honda dreamed of his first VFR - here I am with my '72 BSA Rocket Three. 

Lorne & BSA.jpg

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

May '93: Cherry blossoms at Beacon Hill park made a good backdrop for this shot of the new-to me '91 VFR750.

91 VFR750, Beacon Hill, Victoria 199305.jpg

• Like 5

• Member Contributer

OK Lorne. I didn't go back far enough (the end of my digital photos is ~ a little over 20 yrs ago). However, here's an action photo of me about to drag my knee, wearing, obviously, ATGATT. I challenge all here at VFRD to name vehicle brand as well as engine.  Cheers!

IMG_1533.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Just for a laugh!.....:laughing6-hehe:

1972 - Yikes, 52 years ago!! My beloved Honda SL100, absolutely had a hoot with this bike. Worked three paper delivery rounds per week to save up for it. I'd really give this bike a work out and never had a fault with it. That bike won me over forever with Honda's build quality, reliability and durability. My buddies little Honda Mini Trail was also bulletproof. ATGATT...only partially back then.

Cheers:fing02:

20240418_113421.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I can't quite match the vintage, but here we are in 1982, me and my mighty CB125T; two tiny pistons frantically going nowhere! 12000rpm redline! The T did not stand for torque however. This was my first motorcycle and started my love afair with Honda.

cb125t2.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Rode a few bikes as a youngster, but didn't really start riding until '98. Oldest pic I have of me & the '87 ZX600 is from '05.

First VFR was '09.

IM001426.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Post-SaddleSore020.jpg.0cbbc663924b70e0473970504933d195.jpg

Also not from waaayyyy back, but still pretty far back.

I was both exhausted and satisfied after completing a SaddleSore 1000 ride just outside Boulogne, France, in around 1998.  I think the photo was originally a 35mm slide (which I was still using--and explains why I have several boxes full of slides and few digital photos from the early days!)

The FL was my original 1990, bought new in California.  Retired it after 60,000 mi or so, but it could have gone on and on (if I had replaced the cam shaft I broke whilst improperly tightening the cap bolts...).

Ciao,

JZH

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, JZH said:

Also not from waaayyyy back, but still pretty far back.

Is that an Aerostich you're wearing?

16 hours ago, JZH said:

The FL was my original 1990, bought new in California.  Retired it after 60,000 mi or so,

I like my other VFRs but my FM is still my favourite, wish I could have kept it. Was going strong at a tic under 90,000 km.