Changed the oil OMG!

I always drain on centerstand and then on side stand. a good bit extra comes out. definetly need the correct filter socket. super easy.

4 minutes ago, joemaniaci said:

Does no one else use the K&N filter with the bolt welded on the end so you can just use a socket?

Yes, but the last one got put on so tight the bolt head rounded off and I had to do the screwdriver trick.

27 minutes ago, joemaniaci said:

Does no one else use the K&N filter with the bolt welded on the end so you can just use a socket?

K&N specifically says that bolt is for removal only, and here's why: The welds around the base of it are very weak. Last week I had the dreaded weld failure on my '04 around that "crown" on a brand new K&N filter that I hand-tightened. Safe to say no more K&Ns for me.

• Member Contributer

There's a post on VFRWorld that shows what happens with K&N filters. This is not a rare occurrence and is also not limited to the bolt issue. I say use at your own risk and DO NOT use the bolt to torque the filter down.

Darryl

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, BrianF said:

Safe to say no more K&Ns for me.

Same here.  Using a filter wrench is no big deal vs having an oil soaked tire.

• Member Contributer

Oil filters don't need torquing down, they seal when hand tight. Just use your hand & make sure the sealing surface is clean & rub a film of fresh oil around the rubber seal on the filter to help ease it into place.

Honda Factory service manual recommends torqueing down the oil filter to 20 ft-lbs.

But that's with an OEM filter and not the K&N filter with a build in bolt.

I once hand tightened a K&N filter with a 1/4 twist of the built in bolt with a wrench. It leaked after 3k miles and I had to re-tighten it.  20 ft-lbs. is pretty light tightening anyway.

• Member Contributer

Honda does have a tool you could use to do this, a metal hat with a socket drive in the end, but I have never torqued oil filters with anything other than by hand.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I see a lot of over torquing of oil filters and not a lot of under torquing... so based on that knowledge I also prefer hand torquing my K&N...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 11:38 AM, Rogue_Biker said:

Honda Factory service manual recommends torqueing down the oil filter to 20 ft-lbs.

But that's with an OEM filter and not the K&N filter with a build in bolt.

I once hand tightened a K&N filter with a 1/4 twist of the built in bolt with a wrench. It leaked after 3k miles and I had to re-tighten it.  20 ft-lbs. is pretty light tightening anyway.

I tired 20 ft lbs to see if Honda knows what they are talking about, they dont.  20 ft lb compresses the gasket so much the filter is able to make metal to metal contact with the filter flange on the motor, and it will grove it over time.

So Yeah Honda knows squat, I figure they spec 20 ft lbs, to ensure it doesnt come loose, but its definitely not required as with any other motor or filter.

Archived