Vfr Gen 6 To Gen 8

AlanOon

Hi Guys, I really in need your personal opinion whether should i trade my 2009 VFR800 ABS for a brand Gen 8?

I am sitting on the fence whether to take the plunge when my current bike still serving me well. Does the new Gen 8 really worth the extra cash when both gen are using the same engine and frame. Beside TC and quickshifter as option,i don't see drastic difference between both bikes on the road.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a 2006 that's paid for with 110,000 miles that runs a good as new off the floor. I don't think it makes financial sense. Is there another type of bike you might like in addition?

TC and quickshifter I don't have much interest in, but its more about the financial sense.

• Member Contributer

I've made the exact same transition about 6 weeks ago. Don't regret it, for a second.

To clarify, I put in about 100,000 Km on my 09 model (purchased in April 2010), With a good combination of long rides, (in excess of 12,000 Km), long day rides, ( 500 Km) with most of my riding between 200 to 300 Km on a weekend day.

I had the machine serviced pretty much as on the recommended schedule, but probably skipped out on a couple of the Valve Clearance adjustments, but mostly it was on the prescribed. intervals.

As far as the original bike performance goes, i really only had 2 failures. the first was the Alternator stator at about 52,000 Km just prior to the expiry of the 2 year warranty time so the stator and the battery were replaced under warranty.

The second failure was the water pump which failed at about 94,000 Km, a few days after I had returned from a 5,000 Km, 7 Day ride through outback Queensland.

Apart from these two instances The bike has served me well and given me an enormous amount of enjoyment and satisfaction. In short, It has done me well but i could see problems and expenses looming in the future.

HOWEVER, because of my preference for long solo rides in remote areas I started to think about reliability and "What is the next thing to give me trouble" and will it leave me stranded somewhere. In the back of my mind there was the notion that Alternator stator winding was probably close to failing again, (given it only lasted 52K the first time).

Without really planning to I saw the new model, and tok a look over it, Organised a test ride, and actually liked the lighter machine weight and the narrower body. I was hooked and signed the contract.

In the new model i saw a lot of the modern innovations that I was originally wanting in the 09 Model, but didn't have, even thou I decided to take it anyway, namely ABS, Traction Control, Remotely adjustable Suspension, LED Lighting, Self cancelling Indicators, and other little niceties in the Display area. The heated handgrips are a nice touch.

Handling wise, I think you can really notice the 10Kg less weight, and the handling is as surefooted as we expect of the VFR. The transition into "VTEC" is different. The jury is still out on weather it is better or worse. If you take it relatively easy the transition is very smooth, however if you have a handful of throttle , the transition hits with a bit of a thump, not dangerous but enough to make me think, "is there something wrong here?"

I've been travelling overseas for a few weeks since then so i have only just completed 1,300Km. The first service completed and Factory Panniers and top box are fitted, so I am now planning a longer ride to try it all out.

I apologise for rambling on, but I just wanted to give you some background on the type of riding I do, as I know each of us has different riding preferences and as many different ideas of "Perfect days" as there are people you ask.

Hope this helps

Tom

I traded my 2008 Gen-6 in on the new machine, and I absolutely love it. Both are great bikes but the 2014 seems a better all-around package. Same sweet engine, but for some reason I am able to ride the 2014 faster, with more confidence and control, than I could with the 2008. I honestly am not able to identify what single thing makes it better, but as a package it is better. Ultimately if money is a problem, you will never be disappointed keeping the earlier model.

Tough decision for sure.

I just traded my 2007 with 36k mi for the 2014 deluxe and I too am quite happy so far. I just got it 2 days ago, so it only has about 250 mi and I'm still breaking it in. I agree with Sixbeans completely...it handles much better than my 6th gen (and I was quite fast in the canyons on that bike). First thing I noticed was that it felt lighter and smaller. Like everything else in life, it's a judgment call. If you're strapped for cash, love your current bike, and are wanting a major change/improvement, you might regret it. But if you're like me and the 6th gen you loved was getting tired and might start having problems and you could easily afford it, then you'll probably be happy with the decision to get a new one.

After going for a ride just now, I was reminded of one little thing that I keep forgetting to mention...I've noticed a few times that the front end dives pretty hard under moderate front braking. Much more than my 6th gen ever did. I'm not sure if that's due to the LBS, or the heavier springs I had put in the forks last year. Either way, on the new bike, it's causing a bit of a twitch when I carry the front brake too deep into the start of a turn, then let off and the forks come back up rather suddenly. Maybe I'll dial in another turn on the rebound screws (there's only about 2 1/2 turns from full hard to full soft). I could also work on my technique and get my braking done before I start to lean, like you're supposed to do ;-)

Still not complaining, though....more of an observation. Another 70 miles tearing up the canyons after work today. You really can throw that thing back forth through the chicanes just like a little 600 sportbike. It continues to put a smile on my face each time I ride it. Also, after only 330 miles, I already feel at home on it...like I've been riding it for months. I should have no trouble getting to 600 miles by Friday morning for my 1st service apt :-)

I guess in life, we always find reasons to justify for our new toys even though we don't use to the fullest especially where my current mileage is just 11500 KM. Again is the same scenario when I traded my Samsung galaxy S4 for S5 where I constantly telling myself with a faster processor in hand, I am going to increase my productivity with less waiting time.Do i really need a faster processor for my daily tasks? Most probably the answer is “no”. Do I want a new toy? YES,YES,YES!!!!! :laugh:

After going for a ride just now, I was reminded of one little thing that I keep forgetting to mention...I've noticed a few times that the front end dives pretty hard under moderate front braking. Much more than my 6th gen ever did.

The 6th gen sort of "squats" under heavy braking due to the linking. You're right, there is a lot more dive on the 8th gen, which is consistent with just about everything else without linking (like my CBR).

In the same vein, getting on the binders with the 8th gen in a curve (not trail braking, applying in mid-corner) tends to stand it up a bit- like nearly every other bike. 6th gen generally tends to just slow down and squat a bit while maintaining the same line.

With that said the brakes on my 8th gen DLX certainly beat those of my well-maintained 6th gen in stopping power, and surely will be easier to flush every season.

I guess in life, we always find reasons to justify for our new toys even though we don't use to the fullest especially where my current mileage is just 11500 KM. Again is the same scenario when I traded my Samsung galaxy S4 for S5 where I constantly telling myself with a faster processor in hand, I am going to increase my productivity with less waiting time.Do i really need a faster processor for my daily tasks? Most probably the answer is “no”. Do I want a new toy? YES,YES,YES!!!!! :laugh:

You have just answered your own question, is it practical to trade a good 6th gen for the 8th gen "noway in hell" but if a person feels the need why not.

The only upgrade I would like from the 8th gen is the dash, I don't need traction control on a 100hp V4 & I don't need ABS so the 8th gen has zero to offer me.

If your a person who can do some mods yourself & own a 6th gen & thinking of upgrading to the 8th gen I would delink the brakes, fit after market rear shock & do a inverted fork conversion. Then you will have better suspension than the standard 8th gen, just as good radial brakes & allot of money left in the bank.

• 1 year later...

I went from 6th to 8th nearly a year and a half ago and don't regret it. Not much difference in engine as you say but narrower, lighter, handles better, has more gadgets and uses less gas. In the last few days I have been very glad of the heated grips!

I've completed 12 months and 12,000km on my 8th Gen after trading in the 6th. Definitely the way to go for me;- the 8th is lighter, more nimble, and much more capable when going hand-to-hand through peak-hour morning traffic (where lane-filtering has finally been legalised in Victoria, thank spaghetti monster!!). Out on the touring roads and twisties, it feels much more sure-footed and agile, although like DriverDave, I have noticed a tendency to dive harder when grabbing a handful of anchor-juice, particularly at low speeds. You could probably counteract this with some tailored suspension settings, but I'm still running stock everything suspension-wise.

My fiancée tells me that the ergos and seat on the 8th Gen are a vast improvement as well, so all around a much better bike. I haven't regretted updating for a single second. :-D

For me, the answer is "No." But it might be otherwise if I hadn't already modified my 6th Gen to make it just right for me. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I won't attempt to tell you how to spend your money but there have been very significant changes from the sixth gen. to the eighth gen.

The engine and frame are not the same. It has different cams, longer intake funnels, and different head porting for much better low end torque and it is VERY noticeable to me after having had a fifth and sixth gen. The bike doesn't seem to care what gear it's in at lower to mid speeds. It accelerates much better and is noticeably "torquier" (word?). The VTEC was programmed to not be as harsh and Honda was successful with that. The sixth gen. VTEC engagement never did bother me though but I'll take the improvement. The SSA and frame are different with the main frame being aluminum now and the wheels look respectable now as well. VFR wheels were always shameful heavy junk to me before the 8th gen. came along. The front brakes are slightly larger and the suspension is much better to me. I can't tell that the bike is lighter (it is) but something about it handles better and quicker to me. Part of the frame is aluminum instead of steel.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=7788-en

I think if you want it and can readily afford it without taking a loan or going on a Ramen diet, do it. :beer:

Or maybe I'm thinking about upgrading my cage. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Agree totally with Bent.

Handling - improved

Fuel economy - improved

Brakes - improved

Instrumentation - improved

Looks - Improved apart from the ugly standard exhaust easily fixed with the many aftermarket options

Weight Loss - improved

Headlights - improved

Wheels and suspension - improved

4 Valve transition - improved

Under seat space - improved

Adjustable 2 position seat height, heated grips, ABS, Traction Control, Self cancelling indicators, a nicer slimmer look now that the side radiators have been moved to the front. Same excellent Honda build quality. Pannier mounting arrangement is fantastic and unobtrusive.

So you can see you are getting far greater bang for your buck for an 8th. gen.

Did 94,000k's on my 2009 model and absolutely loved that bike, but I'm even more in love with my 2014.

Cheers.

Grum

It is very good to hear you much more experienced VFR owners than I, lovin your gen 8. I still get pretty excited about mine and keep coming back to the VFR forums to learn more. My other 2 bikes are not getting a lot of riding time.

Even though you guys say the VFR gen 8 suspension is "improved", I personally do not think it is very good, more so the rear shock (but I know how to fix that) than the front forks.

And my answer to the people who say the VFR 800 engine does not have the horsepower they need or to be competitive, well, there are plenty of other choices out there. (If Honda can increase the power in the next generation without sacrificing anything else, we are of course good with that.)

I would rather see Honda make suspension improvements (even ESA) to the next gen of this bike (hopefully there will be future generations) than tweaking the motor.

Honda had better do something soon or it will be losing market share big time to the likes of Yamaha and Aprillia.

Honda has always built great reliable beautifully finished bikes and I have always had Hondas over the 50 years I have been riding, and have had 6 VFRs.

This latest iteration does everything so well, but dare I say it, it is boring. Honda had a great opportunity to do something significant with this VFR but they didn't, they just rehashed the 6th gen with a lot of parts they already had and some new body panels and wheels.

This is the only bike I have almost fallen asleep on. Please Honda give us something with a bit of passion, eg the 1000cc v4 minus vtec that everyone asked for, or even just a RWB colour scheme for the gen 8 would brighten it up a bit.

I will get flamed for this............

• Member Contributer

Well said Dogman.

I was quite excited a couple of years ago with the thought of the new VFR's big brother coming out. There was a lot of talk going around that this might be a V5 configuration based on the RC211V sadly this never happened.

I can just imagine the current 8 Gen in a non VTEC V5 1000cc version, reckon they would sell faster than hot cakes.

• Member Contributer

Im quite happy with the new vfr as it is. It is more than capable of doing what is asked of it.

Now if your wanting a refresh then the St1300 is well overdue.

How does the top speed compare? My 6th with 1 tooth down and 2 up in the rear gearing has hit a speedo indicated 170. Now I know with the gear change it should be off but I had a buddy on his gsxr1000 walk me at that speed and he said as he was along side me it was 170. So, I've hit 170 many times but it could be 10mph or so off. What does the 8th top out at? I've read 138mph in an article, that can't be??

• Member Contributer

Does top speed really matter? It will do over 140 mph. Which is double the limit over here and enough to get you a jail sentence.

I've seen a true 134mph on std gearing with loads of revs left. That was enough for me on the road.

Archived