New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

• Member Contributer

Another quick question while I'm thinking about it - which O2 sensor goes in which hole?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While re-reading all 43 pages of this to answer my above questions I noted the key points to summarize for those looking to weed info out of the banter. I was looking for 5th Gen info so I might have

NO FRICKIN' WAY! When a project hits a couple of the 'just one more week' cycles, it raises one's eyebrow a bit. But here is physical molecular evidence of the cause of giant ____-eating grins on the

A pre-production prototype header assembly with specifications nearly identical to the Two Brothers Racing [TBR] 5th gen VFR 800 header is now being constructed in southern California.   Th

Posted Images

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Another quick question while I'm thinking about it - which O2 sensor goes in which hole?

The electrical diagram in the service manual shows that from the harness to the natural color O2 sensor connector is cylinders 1-2 (left rear - left front)

From harness to black O2 sensor connector is cylinders 3-4 (right rear - right front)

• Member Contributer

Well...you guys suck, I ordered the Delkevic 8 inchers...

• Confused 1
  • Member Contributer
23 hours ago, ShipFixer said:

Well...you guys suck, I ordered the Delkevic 8 inchers...

You are all cutting into my surf and bicycle budget here!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, ShipFixer said:

You are all cutting into my surf and bicycle budget here!  :lol:

We love to help you spend money!  LOL.  At least you have your priorities right . . .  Groceries, clothes for the kids, night out with the wife, motorcycle accessories, taxes, insurance . . .  Yup, looks about right - the rest is just sissy stuff. 

• Member Contributer

So I received the first of my exhaust stud bets today - a different part number listed by Honda as M6x22.  It's a dead ringer for the VFR stud, 35mm total length and the unthreaded section is in the same place, with equal threaded lengths on either side.  Part number is 92900-060220B.  The title on eBay was "QTY 2 NOS HONDA CRANK CYLINDER STUD BOLT 6X22 XR600 GB500 CB400 92900-06022-0B"

Of course, now I need the two "special nuts," but those are available in stock at Partzilla and elsewhere anyway.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for that find! I ordered mine and seven came in 🤬. The last one is backordered until late July. I'll order one in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Member Contributer

Next set of studs came in...they are the right length but have a longer unthreaded section in the middle.  Would work, but that first alternate I found is better.

Meanwhile...not sure when the special M6 nuts from Honda will come in.  I found an alternative though, an M6 extra tall stainless steel flange nut from Bel-Metric.  They are in Massachussetts and will ship the next business day, so...it's a race.  Delkevics get here Tuesday, frustrating to wait this long!  I may yet try to torch the originals off the studs.

• Like 1
  • Member Contributer

Still waiting on parts.  Tried again to separate the nuts from the studs and couldn't.  Lame...

• Member Contributer

Delkevics arrived.  No M6 extra tall flange nuts yet.  Argh!

• Member Contributer

All-Honda parts in hand...now to install!  😁

Definitely not touching the injectors until I receive a package with all of the seals...

• Member Contributer

Only had time for a quick test ride, so it will be a bit before the RapidBike catches on to what's different in the back end here.  But...I mostly like it!  Only issue I have is the header plus exhaust is louder than I was hoping.  On the highway it's not too bad, but at low speed it's way up there.  If you get off the bike and stand ten feet back, at idle...quieter than you think.  Yet it is loud, so I will be going through a lot of earplugs I'm sure.

Performance wise, wow!  It's a positive change across the rev range, and once again the higher gears are yet more useable at low RPM with more torque.  But there is a dramatic increase above 8K RPM.  It's less that I notice the bike is faster/better so much as the RPM's climb a lot more willingly now than they did before.  I rarely push the engine that hard, so it surprised me how fast it got near redline without any intent to get there.

Definitely want to get the injectors cleaned soon, along with some poking at the RB so I can see how much better I can get.  Going without the head shield for now...would need to be trimmed to go back in, it's only a little warmer on my ankle through my Sidis, and I would want to sand and repaint the thing anyway.

One install note, for those who haven't done theirs yet.  Despite @sfdownhill 's warnings and my double-checking, once everything was torqued my header was in contact with the frame, on the right side near the swingarm pivot.  I had to loosen the header nuts, hammer in some wood wedges, and then torque down.  I've included a photo below of the area in question, post-test ride when I was verifying I still had space there. 

Again...I was not in contact all along until after everything else was bolted in so, you may want to check yours!  It's a sharp corner that's not obvious unless you really get under the bike to look, or feel in between to check.

Second install note/exhaust header trivia.  Those extra tall flange nuts I received from Belmetric are very close to the Honda special M6 nuts for the studs, and I used the other Honda part ones that were identical to the VFR part number (which I have not received yet).  So if you are still waiting for either part, there are some lifelines out there.

1A627B44-D28F-488F-833B-25DE340C3009.jpe

A28963B0-E3CB-44F9-97F4-BD5E41B49046.jpe

11CEC350-8B7F-4C56-A904-2C6E7482C621.jpe

C330B647-62F4-49B2-8E88-188FCC933FA1.jpe

• Like 3
  • Member Contributer

I had to do the same with wood for spacers. Just the nature of going the custom route - some fitting and adjusting is to be expected. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ducnut said:

When you buy bazookas for mufflers, it’s not going to be quiet. 😁

Well, it's not like I'm totally surprised here... 😄

I have a couple options.  Delkevic makes a "quieter" baffle that drops the sound 1-3 dB, or so it says.  I can also try their next-shortest increment and buy two 13" tri-oval mufflers from them, but I think they might stick out too far back.  My options for rotating the exhaust splitter further forward/up are kind of limited, so it is what it is.  

Will almost certainly at least go for the quieter baffles, but for now...been too long without the bike!