WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY TO YOUR VFR 6TH GEN ?

VFRUNNER

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2018 at 9:08 PM, Grum said:

Hi Urban.

Good to hear your bike is going well. If I were you I would let the dust settle for a while, with all the issues you've had it would be worth making absolutely sure your bike is running as best as it should in its basic form, once that's confirmed then move on to the Power Commander. Just a thought.

Aghhhh Dumb me - you did mention a few months!:wacko:

Hope you can now get to enjoy your bike. All the best.

Cheers.:beer:

Doh... alright I also only got 155 miles out of a tank today mostly highway.  

And I almost hit 250*F again... I need to check the valve adjustment again or something. Who knows. Put almost 200 miles on today in average 82*F and 90% humidity. 

Ive never had these issues with any other bike, ever... I really struggle with the VFR. 

7F20CC79-0DC4-4BB2-866D-956D6FCD7605.jpeg

0578C275-48E7-44B4-BB8D-999D8462F009.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 27 August 2018 at 1:41 PM, Urbanengineer said:

Doh... alright I also only got 155 miles out of a tank today mostly highway.  

And I almost hit 250*F again... I need to check the valve adjustment again or something. Who knows. Put almost 200 miles on today in average 82*F and 90% humidity. 

Ive never had these issues with any other bike, ever... I really struggle with the VFR. 

Oh dear what a bummer. Were all these overheating and poor economy issues there BEFORE you did all the valve adjustments??? Is there any chance the valve timing could be slightly out? Can understand you're at your wits end, it's shame because a well running VFR is a joy. 

Good luck.

Yeah so it must be something else lol. Slowly narrowing down the possibilities. My service guy at Honda is gonna come over later this week when I have it all apart and we shall see I guess. He would rather leave the adjusting to me, but he will verify stuff. 

@Grum I bought it and stored it for winter and got the front harness recall done. Took it back from Honda once they replaced it all, and then my friend convinced me I would be silly to not to do the valve adjustment on a bike with 40k miles I just acquired...

I only test rode it, bought it, and then rode it 300 miles home from Michigan and never really twisted the throttle. It was about 60*F ambient temps then though. Just cruised on the highway to get it home. I didn’t want to store it in the garage as my R6 was taking up all the room from winter repaint. 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

@Grum I bought it and stored it for winter and got the front harness recall done. Took it back from Honda once they replaced it all, and then my friend convinced me I would be silly to not to do the valve adjustment on a bike with 40k miles I just acquired...

I only test rode it, bought it, and then rode it 300 miles home from Michigan and never really twisted the throttle. It was about 60*F ambient temps then though. Just cruised on the highway to get it home. I didn’t want to store it in the garage as my R6 was taking up all the room from winter repaint. 

There is your problem, you have an R6 in its nest. 

1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

Preparing to pull the fuel injectors for flow cleaning. Looking to spend about $40 plus shipping. Anyone have a recommendation on a fuel injector cleaner guy?

The tech guru on the SV1000 Portal uses this place:  http://injectorrepair.com/

Flapper still isn’t working. Checked out the stator for fun. It’s ugly but it stil tests well. I swear I got 80V at 7K RPM though so it’s likely it could be partially faulty... but it shouldn’t be the cause of my idle/low throttle opening issue.  

Also learned the CCT has that little end cap that can fall off in the engine. Thankfully the magnetic pick up tool saved the day. Valves checked and all are mid spec now... still runs like dogshit at low RPM below 4000. 

Heat shielded the right exhaust heat cover. It had nothing before, hope this lowers temps now. 

Friends have recommended I clean off the O2 sensors because they may be reading leaner than they are supposed to. Who knows anymore. I’m at a loss. 

D3C9892E-4526-476A-B172-00AF4CFC6C7B.jpeg

369B81DE-EBD8-4498-822A-E165BF895A10.jpeg

076F18BE-0B8C-4635-B4B3-1FD3017A1B8A.jpeg

1B502CC8-4609-428F-951D-42540040D97C.jpeg

C8B7A478-47A5-4677-9D15-3B1312E85F8F.jpeg

I got a new Quadlock mount for the phone, and a RAM mount for the top triple stem hole.   That pairs up with the Sena SMH10-10 that I just got for the helmet, along with the special baseplate that will allow me to use my custom molded in-ear Westone-2's with the Sena.  :)  Looking forward to my October trip to the NC / VA / WV mountains when I can listen to music and take calls while on the bike, free of wires!!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Flapper still isn’t working. Checked out the stator for fun. It’s ugly but it stil tests well. I swear I got 80V at 7K RPM though so it’s likely it could be partially faulty... but it shouldn’t be the cause of my idle/low throttle opening issue.  

Also learned the CCT has that little end cap that can fall off in the engine. Thankfully the magnetic pick up tool saved the day. Valves checked and all are mid spec now... still runs like dogshit at low RPM below 4000. 

Heat shielded the right exhaust heat cover. It had nothing before, hope this lowers temps now. 

Friends have recommended I clean off the O2 sensors because they may be reading leaner than they are supposed to. Who knows anymore. I’m at a loss. 

D3C9892E-4526-476A-B172-00AF4CFC6C7B.jpeg

369B81DE-EBD8-4498-822A-E165BF895A10.jpeg

076F18BE-0B8C-4635-B4B3-1FD3017A1B8A.jpeg

1B502CC8-4609-428F-951D-42540040D97C.jpeg

C8B7A478-47A5-4677-9D15-3B1312E85F8F.jpeg

I was tinkering with mine and decided to see if the flapper was working and I have the same issue. It does not operate in any scenario that I have put on it. Out of gear all rev ranges, in gear on centre stand all rev ranges both at cold and at temp. Tested with multi meter and definitely no current from ECU. Bike runs fine. I have O2 resistor plugs and a power commander installed, pair valve mod. I might connect light just to see if it works whilst riding. I also have a Girpo gear indicator fitted that taps into a wire coming out of the ECU but suspect that may have nothing to do with this issue.

18 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

I was tinkering with mine and decided to see if the flapper was working and I have the same issue. It does not operate in any scenario that I have put on it. Out of gear all rev ranges, in gear on centre stand all rev ranges both at cold and at temp. Tested with multi meter and definitely no current from ECU. Bike runs fine. I have O2 resistor plugs and a power commander installed, pair valve mod. I might connect light just to see if it works whilst riding. I also have a Girpo gear indicator fitted that taps into a wire coming out of the ECU but suspect that may have nothing to do with this issue.

Yeah TBH I have no idea. 

But now I’m searching for vacuum leaks as I know my bike is in spec otherwise. Can’t  imagine where it leaks 😞. I replaced everything with ACE vacuum line. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

Took it to the dealer. They can figure out MY bikes Problems lol. They have a flat rate diagnostic cost that I’m comfortable with paying.  

Sometimes you just gotta use the dealer. Not always ideal. But sometimes necessary. Keep us posted. 

Archived