Need a new mirror reccomendation

jalex1995

Hey guys & gals I was riding home tonight and the car in front of me slung a rock a busted my right mirror out, does anyone know where I can get some good quality mirrors without having to pay $200 because I've been looking on revzilla but haven't found anything I like and the last time I bought mirrors on ebay they were so light that they vibrated enough that you couldn't see anything with them.

• Member Contributer

#23 & #25

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c2b46f870023420a31012/upper-cowl

There is some aftermarket replacements that are a bit cheaper... someone will chime in for those..

• Member Contributer

Nothing wrong with Emgo branded mirrors; I just bought some from Speed Addicts and they are great. There are two types of 5th gen mirrors, the so-called condom mirror with big rubber covers on the stems which I think were on 98 and 99, and the later condom-less mirrors on the 00 and 01. The fairing and front subframe are the same so both mirrors fit any 5th gen.

https://speedaddictcycles.com/motorcycle/emgo-oem-replacement-mirror-for-honda-cbr600-1000f-vfr750f-800f-right-side-black

https://speedaddictcycles.com/motorcycle/emgo-oem-replacement-mirror-for-00-01-honda-vfr800fi-left-side-black-20-37342

1 hour ago, Terry said:

1 hour ago, Terry said:

I am looking at a pair of factory replacements Krator mirrors on ebay they are $28 for a pair where the Emgo's are about $30 a piece has anyone else tried these ? I would replace the single mirror with the emgo but the left mirror is so faded it would drive me insane to have one new mirror.

• Member Contributer

I have to say that I find the Emgos lacking.  

I would say that they LOOK the same as stock but are no where near the ballpark in quality.  The Emgos lense is plastic, not glass and scratches very easily while cleaning.  Also, due in part to the weight difference the Emgos vibrate at high speeds/RPMs unlike the stock units.

That being said I would place them second on my list for budget conscious repairs behind a used stock mirror, but well behind.

If anyone else out there has a stock mirror on one side and an Emgo on the other I am quite certain that they can tell the difference as well.

• Member Contributer
On 10/17/2016 at 0:04 AM, jalex1995 said:

I am looking at a pair of factory replacements Krator mirrors on ebay they are $28 for a pair where the Emgo's are about $30 a piece has anyone else tried these ? I would replace the single mirror with the emgo but the left mirror is so faded it would drive me insane to have one new mirror.

Your info doesn't include what generation VFR you ride but it could be an ideal time to consider an upgrade to GSXR mirrors with indicators in the head if your stalks are good but the mirror is not.

4 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Your info doesn't include what generation VFR you ride but it could be an ideal time to consider an upgrade to GSXR mirrors with indicators in the head if your stalks are good but the mirror is not.

Good point, I'm running a 1998 vfr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:42 AM, CornerCarver said:

Could you provide a link to the GSXR mirrors you're referring to? 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, MysteryRider246 said:

Could you provide a link to the GSXR mirrors you're referring to? 

An ebay search revealed about 200 Suzuki brand (do not get the emgo or other) GSXR mirrors.

I pulled this link as it shows the better looking (my opinion and subjective) mirror like KevCarver has on his 5G. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Left-Side-Suzuki-Mirror-GSX-R-2011-2014-600-750-2009-2014-1000-2013-2012-/171327887315?hash=item27e3f017d3:g:MUAAAOSwPgxVSQ4a&vxp=mtr

Plenty of them to be had on fleabay.  This item is not mine and I neither know nor endorse the seller, just for reference since you asked.

• Member Contributer

I tried the Emgo Suzuki mirrors and they were terrible, always bouncing around and the lens fit was pretty bad. I've not tried the direct replacement 5th Gen mirrors. They may be better due to a simpler design.

I thought maybe CornerCarver had written up a DIY he might direct you towards, but maybe not? 

Basically what you're doing is removing the mirror housing from both and sticking the GSXR onto the 5th Gen stalk. The wires are hidden by large diameter shrink wrap. I had my dumbo ear stock signals filled and painted over so I could swap the bulb holders to still use the Honda 3 wire. Otherwise you have to figure out a way to have them work as running and signal, or as is as just signal. I put up with the Emgos for a couple years, but finally got tired of them and found some used ones. They had some very minor scratches on the housings and so I had them painted to match my bodywork. I also got some LED "Switchback" bulbs that are white as running, and amber as turn signals.

IMG_2392.MOV

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

• Member Contributer

OOh I like those.

Will the GSX mirrors fit the 6th Gen stalks? I was to do this conversion so I can use the indicator housings to fit some fog lights.

• Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:12 AM, CornerCarver said:

An ebay search revealed about 200 Suzuki brand (do not get the emgo or other) GSXR mirrors.

I pulled this link as it shows the better looking (my opinion and subjective) mirror like KevCarver has on his 5G. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Left-Side-Suzuki-Mirror-GSX-R-2011-2014-600-750-2009-2014-1000-2013-2012-/171327887315?hash=item27e3f017d3:g:MUAAAOSwPgxVSQ4a&vxp=mtr

Plenty of them to be had on fleabay.  This item is not mine and I neither know nor endorse the seller, just for reference since you asked.

CC- Did you happen to do a write-up of how you did it?

Archived