New Member here, buying a VFR...

Hi all!

New member here, 99% sure going to be purchasing a new, left-over VFR.  It's on my VERY short list.

Long story short, my first bike was bought in 2007 and was a GSX-R1000.  Yes, went big on my first bike.  :)

I sold it in 2009 after I enlisted and haven't had a bike since.  Fun cars on the way, but nothing scratches the itch like a motorcycle.  So I've been looking for something with a more relaxed seating position that's easier on my injured back.  I've been looking for something versatile, too...something that harks to the "UJM" label of years past.  The VFR seems to fit that bill nicely.

For reference, I'm also looking at the new GSX-S1000/F as well as the FZ/FJ-09 and a few others from Ducati.  However, if I can work out the logistics of this deal...I'm going to pull the trigger on the VFR.

Now, a few questions.  I have a couple of options on what to purchase.  White or Red.  2014 or 2015 and with or without factory bags.  All brand new, left-over bikes.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2014 Red for $XXXXX+ taxes.  A 2015 White for $1K more than the 2014 Red...or a 2015 White with factory honda bags for another $1K more.

Colours are a wash.  I haven't seen them in person, but they both look great.  The white, I've heard has some metallic flakes in it, too.

My question is...are there any differences between the 2014 and 2015?  I've been searching like crazy and haven't found anything mechanical...and I would doubt there are any.  But does anyone know of anything beneath the skin that is different?  Should I care about the 1 year difference?  Also, I see the bags are quite the price...$1400 or so MSRP.

So, what do you guys think?

I appreciate all the help and replies!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Bought the white after seeing both white and red in person. When the light hits it looks incredible.

If it is $1000 for the topbox and panniers that sounds a deal to me, but we get ripped off over here.

Could get the 2014 white and add what luggage you need. I only went for the top box as gf is new to bikes and likes the back rest, no panniers as we will only do an overnight together and I can travel light if away by myself for longer.

IMG_0379.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

It doesn't include the top box, but includes the panniers.  It would work out to an extra $1000 for them included as opposed to $1400 MSRP (Cdn funds) to buy them later.

That white does look stunning.  To be honest, I'll probably get whichever one is cheaper to ship from.  I need to get it transported a province or two over.

• Member Contributer

As far as I am aware the 2014 & 2015 are pretty much the same but there is a difference between the Standard and Deluxe models. Depending on if you feel the extras are worth any cost difference is subjective. However, the one thing that may make a difference is the adjustable suspension on the Deluxe model. To me this would be the main deciding factor. Although the suspension on both would probably be similar in damping and spring rates, I think the ability to make minor adjustements, even if it's preload, is always a bonus.

As far as luggage goes, if you think you'll be taking trips and may find it useful, then by all means go for it. Worse case scenario is you sell it to another member if you don't end up using them. If you have a significant other, the top case is definitely worth looking into. Get that with the back pad and you'll be taking a lot more trips together. Although that latter part may go against why you're buying a bike in the first place! :wink:

oh oh and the white bikes look awesome! Although I have two red and one black bike, I would definitively pick the white one if I was buying a new one.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum neighbor.

Consider that a VFR can be a looooog term machine (my first '01 was going strong at 105,000 mi. KIA by deer). And I've had a fabulous time touring and camping. (I am retired.) If you think you'd ever do any mc touring beyond a weekend, camping or not, I'd get the full luggage package with top box with pad, so or not.

Some of us on VFRD have meet-ups all around the country continent, including Kanada. There was a great one this summer in Nelson, BC. And these can make for a great week's vacation, now or in the future. You've been warned. :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Sorry not to clarify, but yes, these are Canadian models...so they come fully loaded.  :)

I am pretty much sold on the White 2015 with the OEM pannier set.  The Red 2014 is the cheaper deal as it's $1900 less, but it doesn't come with anything.

So for the extra $1900 I am getting a colour I'd prefer, a year newer bike and the luggage (which up here, MSRP's for $1,400!).

I could obviously buy the luggage after or find a used set or whichever...but it's nice to have everything new and ready to go...and I'm OK with spending an extra $500 on a year newer bike.

+1 million to using this bike until it explodes or I do.  I've always liked road trips on 2 wheels.  I used to do them with my GSX-R1000.  In only 2 seasons (short Canadian seasons) I put on almost 25K.  Any excuse I could, I would hop on and use it.  The VFR will be used in the same way...just in more comfort!  :)

Honestly, my mind is pretty much made up.  I still like the GSXS1000F and Ninja1000 I was/am looking at...I also still long for the V-Max and Diavel for pure bonkers fun, but the VFR at the price I've found is just too hard a deal to pass up.  Plus the versatility...win/win.

No difference 14 or 15. I have a black but like the look of the red especially with the luggage. If you plan touring see if they will do a deal with top box included. Boxes are a great design and come off easily and leave no trace. Also makes resale easier. So it can be sports or touring, the versatility is great.

The v4 sounds amazing with my arrows slip on so see if they will add one to the deal.

your right it is more relaxed and easy to ride.

The suzuki is fun but lacks the quality and versatility of the Honda.

love the heated grips, cancelling indicators, gear indicator and comfortable adjustable seat and good aerodynamics. It doesn't hurt that she looks beautiful.

21 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

In case you want to see a good side by side of both red and white, with bags.

Nice! Red is my favorite color but white for bikes and cars is awesome.

I decided this after I bought my white Honda cage.

If you plan to travel, by all means get the luggage or at least the top case.

Very handy and somewhat more secure than soft luggage.

And, welcome. :fing02:

1 hour ago, duccmann said:

Great picture--- is that a light on the white panner?
Can't blow it up enough on my phone to tell.
emoji1303.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the factory reflector that comes with the bags, with a custom added red LED in the middle.  I bought my red bags directly from the dealer, and chose not to install the reflectors. 

No difference whatsoever between the 2014 and 2015. The factory shop manual I purchased included stickers for the cover page and spine to cover up the 2014 year with 2014-2015 years. $1,000 for the panniers is a good deal. The parts counter at the Honda dealer from whom I bought my 2014 would not discount the the price for the panniers at all. I ended up buying the panniers in the US. The reflectors that come with the panniers are a joke. You have to drill through the case to mount it. It would destroy the look of the pannier, IMO. The white looks great.

Check out this black Euro model with the US interceptor badge added to the panniers...with no reflector.  Got the pic from DAM's website.  I'm assuming they don't come that way in Europe, and that the owner put them on himself.

Either way, doesn't look half bad.

Honda_VFR800F_black_35_1.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, DriverDave said:

Check out this black Euro model with the US interceptor badge added to the panniers...with no reflector.  Got the pic from DAM's website.  I'm assuming they don't come that way in Europe, and that the owner put them on himself.

Either way, doesn't look half bad.

Honda_VFR800F_black_35_1.jpg

Euro-VFR-Huh.jpg

Are you pointing at the VFR badge?  They only have the Interceptor badge there on US models.  The rest of the world has the VFR badge.

Maybe instead of just drawing an arrow and a question mark, you could actually ask a question.

Well, I'm going to be picking up the bike next week!  Which location, colour and year?  NO IDEA!  Haha, I have found a whole bunch closer to me, so I am putting the dealerships up against each other and I'll wait for the dust to settle.

Right now, the best deal I found was $9999 + tax for a Victory Red 2014 (awesome price IMHO).  I found a Pearl Glare White at another dealership for $500 more, that happens to be 150 Km's closer, too...but I don't know.  That red has been growing on me...

As for my original question...one dealership stated that the only difference to the 2015 over the 2014 was a minor ECU tweak.  Something to do with the fueling.  Can anyone confirm?  Does the 2015 ride better/smoother than a 2014?

Thanks again for all the responses.  I'll be looking at accessories separately as it's cheaper in the long run for me.  So I'll probably order some bags during winter...and most likely a pipe.  :)

Cheers! 

EDIT:  

Oh, I forgot to ask...

What should I be making sure of, that the bike comes with?

Aside from the bike and key (LOL) is there anything else I'm getting?  2nd key?  Extra literature?  I know already about the grab rails, grab rail covers and passenger seat cowl...but is there anything else I should be receiving?

Seeing as how this is a 25 hour round trip, I need to make sure I have everything.

Thanks!

Archived