Hot wires

AJS

I have an 04 VFR with 14,000 miles. I was checking all the connections and found only one with a problem. In the connection between the stator and the R/R had one of the connections had gotten hot enough to melt and blacken that part of the plug. I haven't had any issues with starting or charging. I did the drill and checked the resistance and voltages at the battery and across the plug with the bike off and running, everything checked out ok. I changed that connector with a GM weather pack plug. My question is, how hot do the wires from the stator get. When the bike is running, the wires get very warm. Not hot enough to blister you, but very uncomfortable to hold on to. Is that normal? The voltage at the battery is about 14.2 at 5K RPM. Thank you.

• Member Contributer

On my 5th gen I recently cut out the connector and direct soldered the connections, as the connector was much too hot to hold (my IR thermometer said 90C) and the running voltage was down to 13.6V. Now the wires are still pretty warm but not too hot to hold, and I get a steady 14.0V. I think these wires will inevitably get warm as they are of a smaller-than-ideal gauge, hence have enough resistance to heat up in use. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/25/2016 at 0:50 PM, Terry said:

On my 5th gen I recently cut out the connector and direct soldered the connections, as the connector was much too hot to hold (my IR thermometer said 90C) and the running voltage was down to 13.6V. Now the wires are still pretty warm but not too hot to hold, and I get a steady 14.0V. I think these wires will inevitably get warm as they are of a smaller-than-ideal gauge, hence have enough resistance to heat up in use. 

Someone somewhere has probably said this before but I wonder if the small gauge wires are there intentionally, as a means of limiting the current flow through the pre-rectifier part of the charging circuit?

• Member Contributer

To fix/protect my fifth gen's electrical system I installed a metal plate between the upgraded r/r and the rear sub frame to increase the heat sink capabilities. I believe deltaboxii makes them. The plate is thick aluminum and the r/r barely gets warm now. I've also put a VFRness harness upgrade in the system. I'm planning on soldering the connections from the stator and having the stator rewound.      

• Member Contributer

2 hours ago, BCmcrider said:

Someone somewhere has probably said this before but I wonder if the small gauge wires are there intentionally, as a means of limiting the current flow through the pre-rectifier part of the charging circuit?

A Kind of a built in fusible link... makes sense.

• Member Contributer
On 10/6/2016 at 1:23 PM, V-FORE said:

A Kind of a built in fusible link... makes sense.

But not really fusible, just a built in resistor.  As the wire is small gauge, it adds resistance to the circuit.  Saves current flow though the stator and rectifier.

• Member Contributer

C'mon.  Nobody intentionally designs wires to overheat and connectors to melt.  :unsure:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I agree.

There was never a problem with the VFR's ( and as a matter of fact all other bikes that suffer the same fate) when they were new.

Old age, wires going hard and connectors getting corroded and overheating is a common occurance on all bikes.

Some suffer it more than others, but they all suffer with age.

It is a fact that here in Oz where we don't have a lot of rain and salty roads, we didn't seem to suffer the same rate of failure.

My 2001 still had the original RR and stator until it was 68000kms  and 12 years old before I replaced it (it was still working), here heat seems to be more of a problem.

Many summer days above 36*c (some up to 46*c) will kill any on the limit wiring and electrics with time.

I have all original wiring on my 06 vfr 111,000 miles, while I dont ride the bike a few times per month nowadays(have a KTM 500),  all I do is ensure the connectors have a good contact and wd 40 for corrosion.

Once the wire is melted its too late, you have to begin this process when the bike is new, and refresh every year.  Most dont and end up with damaged wiring.

• Member Contributer
C'mon.  Nobody intentionally designs wires to overheat and connectors to melt.  :unsure:

Ciao,

Yes, you are probably correct. Anyone know what gauge the wires are and what the 3 stator legs' amperage is typical/supposed to be?

I had this problem and solved it usign a standard 6-pin automotive connector, using them as pair of connectors per wire to increase contact area and reduce resistance...
If the problem persist i'm going to rewind the stator and increase the wire gauge.
By the way, regulator to connector wire is thicker than connector to stator wire... Maybe 14 and 12 awg respectively. Looks like a factory "economy-wise" failure (thinner wire = cheaper) or a engineering quality factor error.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Archived